[ROOT/Magisk] Enable Always on Ambient Display on Oxygen OS 11 Beta 1

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Contrary to what OnePlus have said, the code for the Always on Ambient Display is in the first beta of Oxygen OS 11. All you have to do is enable the feature, which is disabled in the "OPFeatures" framework. This is very simple, and can be done in two lines in a root terminal (ie. do "su" first):

Code:
setprop sys.aod.debug_support_always_on 1
pkill systemui
After you have done this, the option to enable it will appear in Settings > Display > Ambient Display > Always on ambient display.

This doesn't survive a reboot, but you can have Magisk do it on boot for you. Only the first line is required for this (since SystemUI won't have started yet), simply drop the .sh file from the attached zip into /data/adb/service.d, set its permissions to rwxr-xr-x (chmod 755) and reboot. Please note that the zip is not flashable and cannot be used as a Magisk module. Something as simple and temporary as this (hopefully anyway, OnePlus have said this feature will come later) doesn't need a full blown Magisk module.

Attachments

DanGLES3

Nov 11, 2017
You can, but Magisk isn't really built for modules to do tiny things like this. One liners are what service.d scripts are for.
I'm aware of that, i just think users would be more comfortable installing a module than moving files, i just like making things easy for people ya know

About Service.d/Post-fs-data imo it would be cool if Magisk had a built in interface to manage/install scripts as Magisk is great for boot scripts but offers no straightforward method of installing/managing them other than making modules or manually moving files

Attachments

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
I'm aware of that, i just think users would be more comfortable installing a module than moving files, i just like making things easy for people ya know

About Service.d/Post-fs-data imo it would be cool if Magisk had a built in interface to manage/install scripts as Magisk is great for boot scripts but offers no straightforward method of installing/managing them other than making modules or manually moving files
Agreed, maybe it'll come with the often-teased Xposed style injections one day

Reactions: DanGLES3

GeneFitz23

Aug 29, 2013

Thank you!

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017
Thank you very much for this.
Is there any shortcut for notification bar for fast on/off ?
And can I use Taskrer sehell command to Toggle AOD on/off (for example when "do not disturbe mode is on" or when I put phone to pocket). Something like options that existed in Exposed AOD Mod?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Thank you very much for this.
Is there any shortcut for notification bar for fast on/off ?
And can I use Taskrer sehell command to Toggle AOD on/off (for example when "do not disturbe mode is on" or when I put phone to pocket). Something like options that existed in Exposed AOD Mod?
It turns off automatically when it's in your pocket, but for DnD you probably would need to find the setting that controls it and toggle that

Alecjasonn

Jul 6, 2015
For some reason this doesn't work for me. It just restarts the SystemUI and the option still force closes when I go to it in the settings, just as before.

Jan 23, 2021
Nah mine works as intended I dunno honestly that's what I'm tryna figure out is magisk needed for certain versions of the 7t because I can go into settings and extra the only thing I noticed that does not function as should is the ambient light

vtec303

Sep 19, 2007
Manchester

Thanks a bunch! Much much easier.

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017
Nah mine works as intended I dunno honestly that's what I'm tryna figure out is magisk needed for certain versions of the 7t because I can go into settings and extra the only thing I noticed that does not function as should is the ambient light
I am on international version O2_BETA_01 and in my case I needed to unveil "when to show" option in display-ambient display, by using shell command /script from here.

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017
I still didn't find out how to turn it on/off from tasker... only to use shell command from first post?
is there any other shell command just to turn AOD on/off and not to hide options from display/settings ?

Last edited:

lil_kujo

Oct 29, 2015
I still didn't find out how to turn it on/off from tasker... only to use shell command from first post?
is there any other shell command just to turn AOD on/off and not to hide options from display/settings ?
Your right it does work excellent made a script from FKM to trigger both upon reboot. Thank
With FKM script manager you don't need to use a terminal you can run right from that app

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017
Your right it does work excellent made a script from FKM to trigger both upon reboot. Thank
With FKM script manager you don't need to use a terminal you can run right from that app
what I would like is to turn the AOD on or off with the shell command from Tasker ... For example, the AOD can only be ON when I have a new notification OR it can be completely Off when the "Do not disturb mode" is on (I already have task to turn Do not disturbe mode ih house (wifi zone) during night).