[ROOT/Magisk] Enable Always on Ambient Display on Oxygen OS 11 Beta 1

Search This thread

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017
Of course I can share.
I also played around and did a qick setting toggles (AOD on/Off from notification bar).
-AOD_Notification.prj.xml is project to be inport to Tasker, it contains 2 profiles - for notification On and Off and 2 tasks
-AOD.tsk.xml is just task for qick toggle and it should be inport in tasker and selected in notification bar menu)

AND ONE MORE TIME, big THANK YOU to Quinny899 , without you none of this would be possible.

Attachments

• AOD_Notification.prj.xml
    7.5 KB · Views: 50
  • AOD.tsk.xml
    1.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

rapdes

Dec 4, 2008
Of course I can share.
I also played around and did a qick setting toggles (AOD on/Off from notification bar).
-AOD_Notification.prj.xml is project to be inport to Tasker, it contains 2 profiles - for notification On and Off and 2 tasks
-AOD.tsk.xml is just task for qick toggle and it should be inport in tasker and selected in notification bar menu)

AND ONE MORE TIME, big THANK YOU to Quinny899 , without you none of this would be possible.
Thanks!

ontwykende

Feb 25, 2017

You are welcome. In that project you will also fond tasks Quinny899 already share (to change from 90 to 60Hz display)... but I don't use them because I adb force my screen to be 90Hz all time (and I didn't find significant power change on android 10 when use 90 instead 60Hz... I don't know now on Android 11, battery drains much more quickly anyway). I sugest to play with it and include those tasks as well to save more battery with AOD on.
I use power saving mode during the night, and as I noticed in one of the previous posts, power saver will also disable AOD.

Aug 5, 2014
Is there a way to do it with a locked bootloader? tried it from adb " adb shell setprop sys.aod.debug_support_always_on 1 " , but it gave me this error " Failed to set property 'sys.aod.debug_support_always_on' to '1'.
See dmesg for error reason. "

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Is there a way to do it with a locked bootloader? tried it from adb " adb shell setprop sys.aod.debug_support_always_on 1 " , but it gave me this error " Failed to set property 'sys.aod.debug_support_always_on' to '1'.
See dmesg for error reason. "

No, it needs root. Shell does not have the required permissions to change sys properties.

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk

Armageda

Dec 3, 2017
Someone said this on Reddit too, I thought all the devices with stable OOS 11 have it available via OnePlus Laboratory, did they remove it?

Nope, on the Stable OOS 11.0.0 7/7T series they removed the Lab features activity from being accessible via the UI completely.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Contrary to what OnePlus have said, the code for the Always on Ambient Display is in the first beta of Oxygen OS 11. All you have to do is enable the feature, which is disabled in the "OPFeatures" framework. This is very simple, and can be done in two lines in a root terminal (ie. do "su" first):

Code:
    setprop sys.aod.debug_support_always_on 1
    pkill systemui

After you have done this, the option to enable it will appear in Settings > Display > Ambient Display > Always on ambient display.

This doesn't survive a reboot, but you can have Magisk do it on boot for you. Only the first line is required for this (since SystemUI won't have started yet), simply drop the .sh file from the attached zip into /data/adb/service.d, set its permissions to rwxr-xr-x (chmod 755) and reboot. Please note that the zip is not flashable and cannot be used as a Magisk module. Something as simple and temporary as this (hopefully anyway, OnePlus have said this feature will come later) doesn't need a full blown Magisk module.

You can, but Magisk isn't really built for modules to do tiny things like this. One liners are what service.d scripts are for.
    I'm aware of that, i just think users would be more comfortable installing a module than moving files, i just like making things easy for people ya know

About Service.d/Post-fs-data imo it would be cool if Magisk had a built in interface to manage/install scripts as Magisk is great for boot scripts but offers no straightforward method of installing/managing them other than making modules or manually moving files
    Of course I can share.

If anyone was wondering, this also works on Stable OOS 11.0.0
    Is there an Amoled protection? Meaning is the AOD clock moving a bit to avoid burnin?

Yes. It moves all around the screen, much more than the Pixel one
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone