ROOT MI A1 (OREO 8.0-8.1) without disabling ota with magisk

This method working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Parnas72

Does anybody know the answer of this very basic question:
If i do the actual system update with the Magisk trick (to keep Magisk after the update), will TWRP be still there?
After OTA update everything is stock, so you'll have stock recovery and stock bootloader (no TWRP).
The "trick" only reinstalls Magisk after the OTA.

Reactions: francwalter

Timtai

May 14, 2014
I'm confused about the last step of install Magisk using direct method. I have already finished the other steps and rebooted the phone. However, when I run Magisk Manager to install Magisk, a window appears asking if I want to install Magisk-v18.1.zip now. When I click "Install", another window appears which states:

Select Method
Download Zip Only
Patch Boot Image File

If I choose Download Zip Only, then it just downloads the zip file and nothing else happens. No install of Magisk. I'm hesitant to choose Patch Boot Image File since I don't want to brick my phone by choosing the wrong option.

Can someone provide a bit more direction about this? The Magisk Manager on my device does not provide a "direct method" as indicated in the steps on the first page.

Thanks!

HrÏtHîK M!Ke

May 16, 2015
I'm confused about the last step of install Magisk using direct method. I have already finished the other steps and rebooted the phone. However, when I run Magisk Manager to install Magisk, a window appears asking if I want to install Magisk-v18.1.zip now. When I click "Install", another window appears which states:

Select Method
Download Zip Only
Patch Boot Image File

If I choose Download Zip Only, then it just downloads the zip file and nothing else happens. No install of Magisk. I'm hesitant to choose Patch Boot Image File since I don't want to brick my phone by choosing the wrong option.

Can someone provide a bit more direction about this? The Magisk Manager on my device does not provide a "direct method" as indicated in the steps on the first page.

Thanks!

Reflash the patched boot IMG and then direct install will appear;)

Timtai

May 14, 2014
Reflash the patched boot IMG and then direct install will appear;)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still unsure exactly what you mean though. Are you saying I should select "Patch Boot Image File" from Magisk Manager? And if that's the case, do I just browse to the folder which contains the patched boot image and select that?

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
No. You need the boot.img of your system, you patch that with Magisk, then you flash it, but not with Magisk.
The boot.img needs to be the one of your system, exactly that.
The instruction of post #1 has only old links of these. You have to download it from somewhere, there is another post on xda with all them.
To flash the patched_boot.img you need a computer and the requisites on your phone must be taken (unlock, usb debugging etc).
When you first unlock the phone, all data are cleared, attention.

Last edited:

KenK13

Jul 2, 2013
Hi, I was able to get root with the instructions supplied here. But I have a question I didn't see mentioned in the pages I looked at. What happens if I wish to install TWRP after performing root using the patched_boot.img/Magisk method? Will I lose OTA updates or still be able to get them? TKS!

ltf_195

Sep 21, 2016
Hi, I was able to get root with the instructions supplied here. But I have a question I didn't see mentioned in the pages I looked at. What happens if I wish to install TWRP after performing root using the patched_boot.img/Magisk method? Will I lose OTA updates or still be able to get them? TKS!

Installing TWRP will lose you OTA update. If you chose to install TWRP, you don't have to follow this patch_boot method.

Last edited:

KenK13

Jul 2, 2013
Installing TWRP will lose you OTA update. If you chose to install TWRP, you don't have to follow this patch_boot method.

OK. Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Is there an app or some type of PC program though that would allow me to do a similar backup such as what TWRP does and restore it if needed at a future date? Not just a Titanium type backup of various apps, but something that would backup the necessary partitions and allow for full restoration?

ltf_195

Sep 21, 2016
OK. Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Is there an app or some type of PC program though that would allow me to do a similar backup such as what TWRP does and restore it if needed at a future date? Not just a Titanium type backup of various apps, but something that would backup the necessary partitions and allow for full restoration?

Here [RECOVERY] [TREBLE] TWRP with Tissot Manager (Treble & Dual boot support)
It call bootable TWRP or hotboot
Download img file. Use "fastboot boot" command. DO NOT flash/install

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
[FONT=&quot]Oh! That is the first time I hear this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I rooted my A1 with Magisk like described in #1 and then I flashed TWRP.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was trying to update then to the February 2019 update with no success and asked that here, #1797 and in the Magisk thread.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nobody told me to uninstall TWRP first.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No wonder then, why it failed.[/FONT]

Last edited:

ltf_195

Sep 21, 2016
[FONT=&quot]Oh! That is the first time I hear this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I rooted my A1 with Magisk like described in #1 and then I flashed TWRP.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was trying to update then to the February 2019 update with no success and asked that here, #1797 and in the Magisk thread.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nobody told me to uninstall TWRP first.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No wonder then, why it failed.[/FONT]

Magisk is focusing on preserve the system while having the root. OTA is more than that such as recovery and boot partition. Difference manufacture have difference partition, that why you should not ask there

Edit: You not only have to uninstall twrp but you have to flash stock recovery

Last edited:

ltf_195

Sep 21, 2016
So how could I then uninstall TWRP to get back OTA possibility?

The safest method is by download MiFlash and flash stock ROM here to make sure your phone back to stock.
1. Follow the guide and Flash stock rom. Be careful, because even though you chose to save user data, it will lock your bootloader and wipe your data. Refer this post to avoid data wiping. Backup your data for safety.
2. Check for the update and update to the lastest security patch.
3. Install Magisk.

Reactions: francwalter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys this guide is for who want to root phone without disabling ota updates.
    Follow this easy steps
    1. Download and install magisk manager apk latest from here (official thread)
    2.Download patched boot.img for may security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for june (8.1) security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for july (8.1) security patch frm here
    3. Extract patched_boot.img.zip
    4. Copy patched_boot.img in fastboot folder.
    5. Enable developer option in ur device and enable oem unlocking in developer option.
    6. Turn off ur phone.
    7. Now press and hold voume down+power button.
    8. Now connect your device with PC in fastboot mode
    9. Type command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    10. now type
    Code:
    fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    11. Then open magisk manager app and then install magisk using direct method and reboot once again
    DONE...

HIT THANKS button if your phone rooted.

USE THIS GUIDE WHEN OTA ARRIVES

7zzqvmfo.png

Click Here To Join The " Mi A1 Developent Group " in Telegram
    Ask for help in telgram group if u facing any problem

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    May patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    April patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    July(8.1) patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    Here is a easier process if you really want to check if the boot.img is compatible:
    First enable OEM Unlock in developer settings
    - Reboot to fastboot (volume down + power)
    - fastboot oem unlock (won't wipe)
    - fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    - After Android finishes booting, install Magisk Manager.
    - In Magisk Manager, use Install and install the latest Magisk with Direct Install
    - Reboot and you're done
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone