ROOT MI A1 (OREO 8.0-8.1) without disabling ota with magisk

This method working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

NTJ

Dec 20, 2016
I need some help, I was trying to update OTA but when I press restore images it said: "stock backup doesn't exist!"
Can anyone walk me through this?

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

I need some help, I was trying to update OTA but when I press restore images it said: "stock backup doesn't exist!"

rafasilva93

Apr 24, 2019
I feel like Gcam is no longer working on Mi A1 on pie 9. Autofocus goes berserk and sometimes I fear its possessed by a poltergeist or something.

I feel the same man, the best gcam i had ive uninstalled thinking in upgrade... that's my biggest fault
The actual gcam is a totaly trash and i cant find what is the version i had, i already downgrade to oreo 8.1 and i try to install in the celsoazevedo site from
GCam_5.3.015-Pixel3Mod-Arnova8G2-1.4.apk (Arnova8G2, 2018-10-04, changelog)
to
GCam_Pixel3Mod_1.3_build.6.1.021.apk (Arnova8G2, 2018-11-27, changelog)

Installed and tested at least 90% of all those versions and all sucks and isnt with the same software of the cam i had HDR+ 1.0.220943774z the best gcam of all to me (this you can search looking for the exif of an photo taken by the camera)
I have asked here on xda for help and i got 0 answers about that ahahhahhahahha

tigerija

Apr 1, 2018

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

I had this issue and after I restarted my phone it worked fine.

Where can I find April patched boot to root with magisk (Android Pie)?

Last edited:

lutziferien

Dec 10, 2012
Patched boot image June 2019?

Hi, is there a patched boot image for June 2019 available? I'm on Android 9/Magisk Manager 7.3.1 and got unrooted after a security/Magisk update on 1st of june...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190620-101301.png
    Screenshot_20190620-101301.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Robinson919

Jun 20, 2019
Talk about timing!

I reset my phone, flashed a new ROM, just because there was not patched boot image, now you hit me with this, I'm happy but disappointed that you didn't submit earlier.

Thank you tho!

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
The safest method is by download MiFlash and flash stock ROM here to make sure your phone back to stock.
1. Follow the guide and Flash stock rom. Be careful, because even though you chose to save user data, it will lock your bootloader and wipe your data. Refer this post to avoid data wiping. Backup your data for safety.
2. Check for the update and update to the lastest security patch.
3. Install Magisk.
Hello back now again here :)
I did that now, flash the stock 10.0.9.0 to start new with a clean stock recovery. I had too much "The System has been destroyed" messages lately. Every time I needed to flash patched_boot.img again to get the phone to boot.
The flashing worked, I edited first the batchfile and deleted the line with the lock command :)
All data are still there, only Magisk has gone :)
After an OTA to 10.0.12.0 I installed Magisk again with instructions in first post here and the patched_boot.img from the previous post (#1828).
Thanks, works.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

What I really don't understand is, how I could restore Magisk after an OTA, as described on github. After the OTA the boot.img is different and so the patched_boot.img would be different. When I uninstall Magisk (restore Images) it would write back an old version of boot.img to system, but this would be different from the stock boot.img after the OTA, isnt it? The OTA would not work with an old restored boot.img, would it?

What did I not get here?

And after all, I still have not a file data/stock_boot_<sha1 string>.img.gz
(where <sha 1 string> is the sha1 of it)

EDIT: the stock_boot... is there again.
I had an issue with the modem, the phone didnt work anymore after 10.0.9.0 flashing, so I had to restore the modem from TWRP backup and it worked.

I guess the next update OTA wont work therefore, as I changed the modem (restore).
I will try...
... and write here if it worked or not (if I dont forget).
... not working, the September 2019 update, I won't try the October Update, as it won't be any different, I guess.

Last edited:

lutziferien

Dec 10, 2012
Hello there,
after installing magisk 20 (edit), I get a "the system has been destroyed" message after reboot. I can get the mobile back to work temporarily by booting over fastboot, but at the next reboot (even after flashing with Magisk), the same error occurs.

Edit: Problem solved.
Uninstalling magisk/unrooting, updating with October 2019 Android 9 OTA update & re-rooting with magisk 20 solved the problem.

Last edited:

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
Hello there,
after being forced to install Google Device health services to access stupid cooperate Gmail, I get a "the system has been destroyed" message after reboot. I can get the mobile back to work temporarily by booting over fastboot, but at the next reboot (even after flashing with Magisk), the same error occurs. I uninstalled the Google Device health services, checked for changes in the properties - nothing.
Any hints are much appreciated.
I hope you didnt try to install TWRP, cause this makes this system destroyed thing.
I doubt that Google Device Health has something to do with the issue.
I would propose to flash the system newly, but with preserving installed apps (not doing factory reset) as that is possible.

Reactions: lutziferien

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
Thanks for the quick answer. No TWRP involved, no,. I'll try to flash the system.
This "System destroyed" is a dangerous thing. I had it unexpected in beginning of holiday, where I could not boot with fastboot. I had to use my old phone (which I had fortunately with me) for two weeks.

After holiday, one of my first actions was the system flashing :)
It was easy though. But be careful not to loose apps and settings!
After system flashing there are some new apps (bloatware) but can be easily uninstalled (with Titanium e.g.)

Last edited:

Johnn78

Apr 19, 2016
Thanks for the quick answer. No TWRP involved, no,. I'll try to flash the system.

I had the same problem but in recovery partition. You may have this problem on bot partition. In my occasion, the problem was due to flashing the new version of Magisk (v20). Did you try to flash your boot.img of your current fw to see if the problem is solved ?

lutziferien

Dec 10, 2012
I had the same problem but in recovery partition. You may have this problem on bot partition. In my occasion, the problem was due to flashing the new version of Magisk (v20). Did you try to flash your boot.img of your current fw to see if the problem is solved ?
Yes, I tried to flash the boot image with several versions of Magisk without success...

okahdidi

Jan 13, 2015
This "System destroyed" is a dangerous thing. I had it unexpected in beginning of holiday, where I could not boot with fastboot. I had to use my old phone (which I had fortunately with me) for two weeks.

After holiday, one of my first actions was the system flashing :)
It was easy though. But be careful not to loose apps and settings!
After system flashing there are some new apps (bloatware) but can be easily uninstalled (with Titanium e.g.)

How did you flash system?was it thru mi flash or? I tried flashing new stock rom thru mi flash tool but not successful,I did not flash any TWRP, just normal patch boot and this really happened after magisk update

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Anyone with working Oct patch?

lutziferien

Dec 10, 2012
I know magisk caused it,how did you get the phone back working again and then uninstalled it?
I put the phone in fastboot mode, booted over fastboot on the computer with the corresponding patched boot image and used the uninstall function in magisk.
Luckily no flashing necessary.

Last edited:

okahdidi

Jan 13, 2015
I put the phone in fastboot mode, booted over fastboot on the computer with the corresponding patched boot image and used the uninstall function in magisk.
Luckily no flashing necessary.

Meaning you flashed the patched boot image for October and also flashed magisk uninstall? If am correct can you please send a link of the corresponding patch you flashed and the magisk uninstaller too let me try too please

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys this guide is for who want to root phone without disabling ota updates.
    Follow this easy steps
    1. Download and install magisk manager apk latest from here (official thread)
    2.Download patched boot.img for may security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for june (8.1) security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for july (8.1) security patch frm here
    3. Extract patched_boot.img.zip
    4. Copy patched_boot.img in fastboot folder.
    5. Enable developer option in ur device and enable oem unlocking in developer option.
    6. Turn off ur phone.
    7. Now press and hold voume down+power button.
    8. Now connect your device with PC in fastboot mode
    9. Type command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    10. now type
    Code:
    fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    11. Then open magisk manager app and then install magisk using direct method and reboot once again
    DONE...

HIT THANKS button if your phone rooted.

USE THIS GUIDE WHEN OTA ARRIVES

Ask for help in telgram group if u facing any problem

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    May patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    April patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    July(8.1) patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    Here is a easier process if you really want to check if the boot.img is compatible:
    First enable OEM Unlock in developer settings
    - Reboot to fastboot (volume down + power)
    - fastboot oem unlock (won't wipe)
    - fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    - After Android finishes booting, install Magisk Manager.
    - In Magisk Manager, use Install and install the latest Magisk with Direct Install
    - Reboot and you're done
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone