ROOT MI A1 (OREO 8.0-8.1) without disabling ota with magisk

This method working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
How did you flash system?was it thru mi flash or? I tried flashing new stock rom thru mi flash tool but not successful,I did not flash any TWRP, just normal patch boot and this really happened after magisk update
Yes, to flash the system (with that I mean the whole original ROM) you need Mi Flash Tool.
When I did it, I found only the older 10.0.9.0 ROM, not any newer ROM. But anyway after you flash it, you can do the update in the settings, you will get the newest system (October Update, I guess) then.
Only after you flashed the ROM you can flash the patched boot.img to get back root and after you can flash magisk through on-the-fly-TWRP.
The Stock ROMs for fastboot (Flash with Mi Tool) you can find on the***********.com.

Last edited:

lutziferien

Dec 10, 2012
Meaning you flashed the patched boot image for October and also flashed magisk uninstall? If am correct can you please send a link of the corresponding patch you flashed and the magisk uninstaller too let me try too please
I was on Android 9 June update, so I booted via fastboot with the June patched boot image (to avoid the "system destroyed") and uninstalled Magisk 20. Then I could boot normally, update OTA to October update, booted via fastboot and the october update and installed Magisk 20. No flashing ROM necessary in my case.
All the necessary patched boot images you can find if you search for: ''Enable Camera2 API on Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android Pie (Without Root)''.
(Thanks to bergemes for that hint)

Last edited:
Reactions: okahdidi

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
I was on Android 9 June update, so I booted via fastboot with the June patched boot image (to avoid the "system destroyed") and uninstalled Magisk 20. Then I could boot normally, update OTA to October update, booted via fastboot and the october update and installed Magisk 20. No flashing ROM necessary in my case.
All the necessary patched boot images you can find at: https://www.the***********.com/enable-camera2api-eis-xiaomi-mi-a1/
Why does xda censors the links with the*custom*droid*.com? (I put * into the name to avoid censoring again)

Reactions: lutziferien

okahdidi

Jan 13, 2015
All the necessary patched boot images you can find if you search for: ''Enable Camera2 API on Xiaomi Mi A1 running Android Pie (Without Root)''.
(Thanks to bergemes for that hint)

If you just do a normal reboot,it will still show system crashed. I think these xiaomi guys have put in something that deliberately discourages root

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
Yesterday my phone updated to the December 19 update, without that I restored myself the original boot img!
This was never working before, always it was some error there, the update could not be installed.
Strange.
Now it's unrooted but the patched boot.img for the december update is not yet available on the custom droid site.
Anybody knows where i can get it?
EDIT: in that rootmygalaxy.net site I cannot find a boot.img, this is a zip, I dont find a way to get the boot.img out of it.

2019-12-17: I could extract boot.img from the zip with payload_dumper and then patch the boot.img with Magisk Manager 7.4.

Now I will patch my phone with that with fastboot...

... and I have root again, Magisk 20.1 was already installed again, as it was :)

... but I had to install Magisk 20.1 again through twrp, because each reboot was hanging and I needed to flash the patched_boot.img to boot.
After installing Magisk again boot went normal.

EDIT 2021-01-19: this happened several times later again, always I had to flash Magisk again with TWRP (with PC). No worries then.
But now that will be over for ever, very last System Update for Xiaomi Mi A1 was the Update 1. August 2020, no more Updates for it, never, only with change to Lineage possible to have Android 10

Last edited:
Reactions: 145javier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys this guide is for who want to root phone without disabling ota updates.
    Follow this easy steps
    1. Download and install magisk manager apk latest from here (official thread)
    2.Download patched boot.img for may security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for june (8.1) security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for july (8.1) security patch frm here
    3. Extract patched_boot.img.zip
    4. Copy patched_boot.img in fastboot folder.
    5. Enable developer option in ur device and enable oem unlocking in developer option.
    6. Turn off ur phone.
    7. Now press and hold voume down+power button.
    8. Now connect your device with PC in fastboot mode
    9. Type command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    10. now type
    Code:
    fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    11. Then open magisk manager app and then install magisk using direct method and reboot once again
    DONE...

HIT THANKS button if your phone rooted.

USE THIS GUIDE WHEN OTA ARRIVES

7zzqvmfo.png

Click Here To Join The " Mi A1 Developent Group " in Telegram
    Ask for help in telgram group if u facing any problem

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    May patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    April patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    July(8.1) patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    Here is a easier process if you really want to check if the boot.img is compatible:
    First enable OEM Unlock in developer settings
    - Reboot to fastboot (volume down + power)
    - fastboot oem unlock (won't wipe)
    - fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    - After Android finishes booting, install Magisk Manager.
    - In Magisk Manager, use Install and install the latest Magisk with Direct Install
    - Reboot and you're done
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone