ROOT MI A1 (OREO 8.0-8.1) without disabling ota with magisk

This method working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Leonhart9907

Dec 8, 2017
Hi, I installed magisk still on android 7 and later I realized the update via OTA through the link indicated in the tutorial. I understand it is for any update via ota.

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/blob/master/docs/tips.md#ota-installation-tips

Sent from my Mi A1 using XDA Labs

Thanks .. but now my problem is. When i restore image from the Magisk Manager Uninstall . It says "Stock Boot does not exist!" . If so .. where is the right directory to place my stock boot.img to??

Soham Biswas

Feb 1, 2017
OnePlus 7
When you used fast boot command ..you must have typed fastboot "flash" patched... It should be fastboot "boot" patched..not "flash"..it Should be "boot"...

idx1984

Jan 17, 2018
Thanks .. but now my problem is. When i restore image from the Magisk Manager Uninstall . It says "Stock Boot does not exist!" . If so .. where is the right directory to place my stock boot.img to??

This message appeared to me when I removed Magisk and restarted it, it entered bootloop. Are you sure to follow step-by-step commands and direct installation of Magisk? In my case, I repeated the installation procedure for the December and January packages, then I checked the magisk manager, installed the Magisk and it worked, including the recovery of the ROM stock in the uninstall of Magisk to update via OTA.

Sent from my Mi A1 using XDA Labs

Passmind

Apr 9, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
So, I was on the December patch. I went ahead and remove Magisk, and it went into bootloop. So I installed the stock rom and fixed it, however, this locked the bootloader. I went ahead and downloaded January patched img, unlocked bootloader, installed Magisk, asked to update Magisk manager, installed Magisk and rebooted. After that it went to no command error. Any thoughts? (I had to reinstall stock rom to fix it again)

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
So, I was on the December patch. I went ahead and remove Magisk, and it went into bootloop. So I installed the stock rom and fixed it, however, this locked the bootloader. I went ahead and downloaded January patched img, unlocked bootloader, installed Magisk, asked to update Magisk manager, installed Magisk and rebooted. After that it went to no command error. Any thoughts? (I had to reinstall stock rom to fix it again)

Did you just boot from the patched boot image (fastboot boot patched_boot.img), or did you flash it (fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img), then let Magisk do the direct install?
You should be just booting from the patched boot, and not flashing the patched boot image.

Passmind

Apr 9, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Did you just boot from the patched boot image (fastboot boot patched_boot.img), or did you flash it (fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img), then let Magisk do the direct install?
You should be just booting from the patched boot, and not flashing the patched boot image.

I did boot, and immediately went to Magisk manager 5.5.4. when I run it, it won't show me the option to install Magisk. Only after I update Magisk Manager to 5.5.5 it let me install it. After rebooting it showed the error message.

Update: Tried again and it worked, only this time I installed Magisk Manager 5.5.5.

Last edited:

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
@jashancheema i am not able to boot into patched_boot, i am on latest jan update
By readings of my crystal ball, you were on Nougat with Magisk and Mi A1 Magisk module which contained modified framework-res.apk (night light). When you upgraded to Oreo, you haven't disable this module and now it's causing boot loop. Is my crystal ball right? :D

Reactions: abossard

Rohit99

By readings of my crystal ball, you were on Nougat with Magisk and Mi A1 Magisk module which contained modified framework-res.apk (night light). When you upgraded to Oreo, you haven't disable this module and now it's causing boot loop. Is my crystal ball right? :D
nope i never installed night light module, your crystal ball reading is wrong.

abossard

Jan 29, 2018

I have exactly this! You're crystal ball was about me :)
How can I solve it? I'd like to not do a Factory Reset, if avoidable.

Any ideas?

Reactions: iG0tB0lts

_mysiak_

Apr 1, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
I have exactly this! You're crystal ball was about me :)
How can I solve it? I'd like to not do a Factory Reset, if avoidable.

Any ideas?
Install this from TWRP https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/module-tool-magisk-manager-recovery-mode-t3693165, then run terminal in TWRP and type "/data/media/mm" and disable modules with on screen instructions. If you don't have working TWRP recovery, this one should be working (don't flash/install it, just boot once) https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75163475&postcount=747

Reactions: abossard

SystemDoctor

Apr 30, 2013
Manila
Whenever I try to press the Direct Install option from Magisk manager, the latest version of Magisk won't download. I checked my downloads through the Files app and it just stays there as a queued download. Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this?

EDIT: What if I download the installer.zip seperately and place it on my phone, would that work?

Last edited:

abossard

Jan 29, 2018

moxaneat

Jan 30, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Poco F1
i follow the step for the OTA ....uninstall magisk and all but when OTA finish downloading and started step 1, it STILL got "installation problem" ....where could i have done wrong ...i am on oreo with december security update 7.12.19 ....please help

akikara

Oct 28, 2011
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Redmi Note 9
If you boot correctly you will see the Direct Install option. Here what you have to do.
1. check your security patch level . Setting>System>About phone>
If January, download the January patched_boot, if December, download the December patched_boot. Download again just to be sure
2. follow the step
3. After you boot to patched_boot.img (Step 10) make sure you are successfully boot on first try.
4. Then open magisk manager>Install>Direct Install (Recommended)

Stuck on "Boot Loop".

I am on latest security update for january. Enabled oem unlocking, usb debugging from developer options.
Here is screen shot of unlock and boot of patched_boot.img
Code:
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ fastboot devices
no permissions	fastboot
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot devices
[sudo] password for da: 
b2edb5	fastboot
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [  0.017s]
finished. total time: 0.017s
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot boot patched_boot.img 
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.512s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.597s]
finished. total time: 1.110s
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$
I've followed steps. Cable is connected in all steps.

What is wrong? Please help me.

msmjpr

Jun 21, 2008
Jaipur
reboots to system

Hello guys this guide is for who want to root phone without disabling ota updates.
Follow this easy steps
1. Download and install magisk manager apk latest from here (official thread)
2. Download patched boot.img for december security patch frm here
Download patched boot.img for stable january security patch frm here
WIFI ISSUE FIXED
3. Extract patched_boot.img.zip
4. Copy patched_boot.img in fastboot folder.
5. Enable developer option in ur device and enable oem unlocking in developer option.
6. Turn off ur phone.
7. Now press and hold voume down+power button.
8. Now connect your device with PC in fastboot mode
9. Type command
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
10. now type
Code:
fastboot boot patched_boot.img
11. Then open magisk manager apk and then install magisk installer using direct method and reboot once again
DONE...

Hit THANKS button if your phone rooted.

Note: If you followed old method to root device just copy this in data folder then use below guide

USE THIS GUIDE WHEN OTA ARRIVES

7zzqvmfo.png

Click Here To Join The " Mi A1 Developent Group " in Telegram
Ask for help in telgram group only if u facing any problem

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg

after these commands phone reboots to system (fastboot boot patched_boot.img)

ltf_195

Stuck on "Boot Loop".

I am on latest security update for january. Enabled oem unlocking, usb debugging from developer options.
Here is screen shot of unlock and boot of patched_boot.img
Code:
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ fastboot devices
no permissions	fastboot
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot devices
[sudo] password for da: 
b2edb5	fastboot
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [  0.017s]
finished. total time: 0.017s
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$ sudo fastboot boot patched_boot.img 
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.512s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.597s]
finished. total time: 1.110s
da@xps15z:~/Desktop/ccc$
I've followed steps. Cable is connected in all steps.

What is wrong? Please help me.

I'm not sure why, but dont worry happen to me too, try to follow steps below:-

Hi OP @jashancheema, I think you should update this thread since we already have working bootable twrp for oreo.

For people having bootloop , you can try this:

1. Download recovery from this post

2. boot to recovery.img
Code:
fastboot boot xxx_recovery.img

3. Flash magisk uninstaller from here and reboot your phone

4. If you successfully reboot your phone continue to install magisk

5. boot to twrp (step 2 above)

6. Flash lastest Magisk from here

7. reboot your phone and install Magisk Manager

Edit: If still failed try to flash Magisk 15.1 (on step 6), thanks @KalolParty for testing this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys this guide is for who want to root phone without disabling ota updates.
    Follow this easy steps
    1. Download and install magisk manager apk latest from here (official thread)
    2.Download patched boot.img for may security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for june (8.1) security patch frm here
    Download patched boot.img for july (8.1) security patch frm here
    3. Extract patched_boot.img.zip
    4. Copy patched_boot.img in fastboot folder.
    5. Enable developer option in ur device and enable oem unlocking in developer option.
    6. Turn off ur phone.
    7. Now press and hold voume down+power button.
    8. Now connect your device with PC in fastboot mode
    9. Type command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    10. now type
    Code:
    fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    11. Then open magisk manager app and then install magisk using direct method and reboot once again
    DONE...

HIT THANKS button if your phone rooted.

USE THIS GUIDE WHEN OTA ARRIVES

Ask for help in telgram group if u facing any problem

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    May patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    April patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    July(8.1) patched img released

Download from here

7p2vdrvg.gif

ukt8fvhs.jpg
    Here is a easier process if you really want to check if the boot.img is compatible:
    First enable OEM Unlock in developer settings
    - Reboot to fastboot (volume down + power)
    - fastboot oem unlock (won't wipe)
    - fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    - After Android finishes booting, install Magisk Manager.
    - In Magisk Manager, use Install and install the latest Magisk with Direct Install
    - Reboot and you're done