• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Root Moto G Stylus 5g 2021

Search This thread
Sep 10, 2017
Moto G Stylus 5G
After 72 hours I was able to OEM unlock. I then unlocked the bootloader. The device has been successfully rooted with Magisk 23.0. I used the Motorola recovery tool to get original boot.img. Although I have root, there seems to be some restrictions on /product/media & other various permissions. I haven't been able to change the boot animation or install BusyBox.. The root directory seems to have some things "re-arranged". Not sure what that's about. Android 11 is proving to be less awesome than Android 10. I am playing with a few ideas, mainly terminal commands using su, chmod, and others, to potentially gain permissions back. I'll post here when I find solutions. I have the phone through boost, the Denver Variant. This is a great phone, and I'd hate to be permanently blocked from making the changes I'd like to after rooting.

rawhide85

Nov 20, 2009
FL, USA
Moto G Stylus
Moto G Stylus 5G
After 72 hours I was able to OEM unlock. I then unlocked the bootloader. The device has been successfully rooted with Magisk 23.0. I used the Motorola recovery tool to get original boot.img. Although I have root, there seems to be some restrictions on /product/media & other various permissions. I haven't been able to change the boot animation or install BusyBox.. The root directory seems to have some things "re-arranged". Not sure what that's about. Android 11 is proving to be less awesome than Android 10. I am playing with a few ideas, mainly terminal commands using su, chmod, and others, to potentially gain permissions back. I'll post here when I find solutions. I have the phone through boost, the Denver Variant. This is a great phone, and I'd hate to be permanently blocked from making the changes I'd like to after rooting.
Glad to see your looking to improve our device. Cheers

Raul7821

Jul 7, 2019
Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...

rawhide85

Nov 20, 2009
FL, USA
Moto G Stylus
Moto G Stylus 5G
Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...
Thank you brother for the response. I really hope the devs become more active. It is so great to have TWRP and custom roms to flash. Cheers

Reactions: Raul7821

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
Why is it only good till April 2022?
Their (talking Metro by T-Mobile) 3G shutdown was scheduled for October 1st of this year, but they moved it to April 2022. 3G shutdown = phones not capable of 5G will no longer work on that network. So its kinda puzzling why the non-5G version of the Moto G Stylus is getting such development and the actual 5G version...isn't. Also weird that Metro is selling a non-5G version at all given the looming 3G sunset but...here we are.

But, at least they have till April. I have till February (I'm with Cricket(AT&T)). Verizon is holding out the longest with January 2023 for their 3G sunset.

ITGrouch

Dec 27, 2012
Near Music City USA
Their (talking Metro by T-Mobile) 3G shutdown was scheduled for October 1st of this year, but they moved it to April 2022. 3G shutdown = phones not capable of 5G will no longer work on that network. So its kinda puzzling why the non-5G version of the Moto G Stylus is getting such development and the actual 5G version...isn't. Also weird that Metro is selling a non-5G version at all given the looming 3G sunset but...here we are.

But, at least they have till April. I have till February (I'm with Cricket(AT&T)). Verizon is holding out the longest with January 2023 for their 3G sunset.
The 3G network is being phased out, not 4G. The 4G service will be around for a long time for all of the carriers. My wife just purchased a iPhone 11 phone and it is 4G. Low income people have the subsidised free mobile service and cheap 4G phones. The 5G coverage is still in its infancy. The non-5G version will work just fine on T-Mobile's network with 4G, as will any 4G GSM phone that is supported on T-Mobile's network. Same goes with all the other carriers. Your 4G phone will continue to work on AT&T's network. You need to do your research first before posting incorrect information.

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
The 3G network is being phased out, not 4G.

I didn't say 4G was going away. I said 3G. And you of course you know the carriers won't allow 4G/LTE only, right? you'll need two, 3G/4G together, and when the sunset happens, 4G/5G together. More on that below:

Your 4G phone will continue to work on AT&T's network. You need to do your research first before posting incorrect information.
I'd ask the same of you, sir/ma'am. 4G is not enough, or else Cricket wouldn't be sending out texts saying to buy a 5G phone (from them, of course) by February or lose your service. You...DO know they're doing that, right? Surely one accusing one of not doing research has done research themselves on the matter? Let me help you: the xda board for the phone I currently have, the Note 10 Lite, talked about that.

ITGrouch

Dec 27, 2012
Near Music City USA
I didn't say 4G was going away. I said 3G. And you of course you know the carriers won't allow 4G/LTE only, right? you'll need two, 3G/4G together, and when the sunset happens, 4G/5G together. More on that below:

I'd ask the same of you, sir/ma'am. 4G is not enough, or else Cricket wouldn't be sending out texts saying to buy a 5G phone (from them, of course) by February or lose your service. You...DO know they're doing that, right? Surely one accusing one of not doing research has done research themselves on the matter? Let me help you: the xda board for the phone I currently have, the Note 10 Lite, talked about that.
All I will say is if you want to believe that a customer has to buy a 5G phone to continue service with Cricket, go right ahead.

Reactions: KlutchApex

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
Oh right I forgot the best part: once a month any outgoing call I make? Will be re-directed to customer support with a recording saying my device won't work February 2022 and to upgrade now.

Now, if Metro/T-Mobile is going a different route, as in not being a horse's behind about this, great. It was still a good idea that folks got this phone versus the non-5G version. Anyone saying "herp derp 3G is sunseting not 4G!" well Google is free is all I can say. Might wanna look it, heck walk into a Metro/T-Mobile store (if one doesn't feel comfortable with customer support) and ask them.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a working TWRP before I finally pull the trigger and switch. But I'm glad people with this phone has root. Its a great start.

markbnj

Jun 9, 2009
Moto G 5G
Moto G Stylus
OK... Here's a brief rundown.

ALL the carriers (ATT/Verizon/Tmobile)
are retiring their 3g networks next year.

I believe ATT's is at the end of February 2022.

Started this thread because I was affected.
AT&T marked my redmi note 9 plus as a 3G phone, instead of as a 4g phone.

and I moved to a 4g ONLY location, and lost all service.

Thus, I moved to a moto G5 stylus 5g (what a mouthful!)

Now I again need to re-root, to remove the tether provisioning app.

I forgot that when I had a moto G3 I swore to never buy another moto phone for that reason!

sigh

update notes:
just got bootloader unlocked
about to root to install magisk.
and then diesble that darn hot-spot check!
and insert ad repellant!
cheers

Last edited:

Tarzan1999

Oct 2, 2021
Can you please post the steps that you went through in rooting your phone?

Raul7821

Jul 7, 2019
Hey guys i was wondering, if is there a custom recovery for the moto g stylus 5g Denver variant?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    links?
    i couldn't get it to find recovery
    If you have the same moto G Stylus or 5g 2021, what slot are you in? A or B? I'll post the stock recovery here
    ill release my twrp soon
    ill release my twrp soon
    That is the best news since owning this decide! Thank you brother. Cheers
    Finally !!!!
    Update to unlock bootloader for The Metro by T-Mobile variant
    After much research thanks to the n200 thread this enabled my oem option to be toggled..

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim

now it read back an error (0) number ...(dont worry)
    so i then changed the date and time to 25 days out.
    Remove sims and sd card out of the phone
    Then did a factory reset.
    Dont connect to wifi yet,
    Uncheck every option upon set up..
    Then open development options still grayed out,

Now disable development options,
    connect to wifi,
    Reopen development options.
    Bam !!!OEM unlock now able to toggle..

Also!!!
    R/W superpack scripts work...
    Dolby, viper all work...
    After I deleted system apps I have over 1 gb of space...this ROM was actually light before the carrier bloat...
    I still can't flash retus firmware on my metro variant...anyone have success???
    Yeah, the Cricket variant gets refused by Motorola's website, so looks like I'm sorta stuck. Got it super cheap though so no real complaints.
    Sorry to hear you have the cricket att variant.
    I never I repeat NEVER buy Verizon, ATT , or any subsidiaries of them due to in the usa they LOCK BOOTLOADERS ....
    I use Metro TMobile or I buy from Best Buy to purchase all my phones ,noticed only Motorola, One Plus and Pixel devices not on Verizon or ATT, have unlock bootloader processes for us android enthusiasts.
    PS. I have a cricket sim card..
    I activated it online for 30 dollars..cheapest cricket plan,
    Then went to metro corporate store and ported the number to my metro account and got this phone on metro for 19.99
    If cricket would play ball on bootloader access I would switch but MetroPCS keeps me bootloader unlocked and rooted....lol
    Thank you brother for the response. I really hope the devs become more active. It is so great to have TWRP and custom roms to flash. Cheers
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.
    Why is it only good till April 2022?