• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Root Moto G Stylus 5g 2021

Search This thread
Sep 10, 2017
Moto G Stylus 5G
How to do it? I do wanna try it

And

I have verified these methods work on my Moto G Stylus 2021 and Moto G5 Stylus 2021

Reactions: sd_shadow
Sep 10, 2017
Moto G Stylus 5G
so upon further inspection I have determined that the usual porting method will not suffice due to the A/B setup. I also cannot extract a recovery.img because the recovery is located in the ramdisk and isn't a partition of its own.. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thx
Alright friend, so I have a copy of my recovery for both A/B slots. All I did was download a partition backup app via Google play and the app auto detected my recovery.img. Have you tired this?

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Ok first moto phone i bought were the OEM toggle won't activate...Do i have to really wait 3 days??? Anyone please chime in..

Edit..
Was able to get unlock code from Motorola emailed to me so I really have to wait for the oem to become available...Moto trying to be Samsung...I left Samsung because of no oem bootloader in the US. Motorola don't change on me!!!!!

Last edited:

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...
How did you get your MetroPCS oem button in developer options to be toggled???
Mines is still greyed out...
I for some reason can flash the stock tmo firmware via fastboot but since my bootloader is locked I can flash the Retus firmware but it won't boot past Motorola screen.
I'm trying to flash Retus like I always do on my moto phones so I can toggle the oem button..

Any thoughts or help please... Thanks.
One last thing.. Was your MetroPCS software on an earlier build?. I used the last firmware from lolinet but there were no earlier versions...

Last edited:

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Finally !!!!
Update to unlock bootloader for The Metro by T-Mobile variant
After much research thanks to the n200 thread this enabled my oem option to be toggled..

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim

now it read back an error (0) number ...(dont worry)
so i then changed the date and time to 25 days out.
Remove sims and sd card out of the phone
Then did a factory reset.
Dont connect to wifi yet,
Uncheck every option upon set up..
Then open development options still grayed out,

Now disable development options,
connect to wifi,
Reopen development options.
Bam !!!OEM unlock now able to toggle..

Also!!!
R/W superpack scripts work...
Dolby, viper all work...
After I deleted system apps I have over 1 gb of space...this ROM was actually light before the carrier bloat...
I still can't flash retus firmware on my metro variant...anyone have success???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-072117.png
    Screenshot_20211120-072117.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20211120-065954.png
    Screenshot_20211120-065954.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211120-063629.png
    Screenshot_20211120-063629.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20211120-072110.png
    Screenshot_20211120-072110.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: xStealth

xStealth

Aug 1, 2011
@jhjhjhjhjhjh

Do you not still need a number from Motorola to unlock the bootloader? Does the T-Mobile variant work when you input the oem get_unlock_data on the website?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    links?
    i couldn't get it to find recovery
    If you have the same moto G Stylus or 5g 2021, what slot are you in? A or B? I'll post the stock recovery here
    ill release my twrp soon
    ill release my twrp soon
    That is the best news since owning this decide! Thank you brother. Cheers
    Finally !!!!
    Update to unlock bootloader for The Metro by T-Mobile variant
    After much research thanks to the n200 thread this enabled my oem option to be toggled..

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim

now it read back an error (0) number ...(dont worry)
    so i then changed the date and time to 25 days out.
    Remove sims and sd card out of the phone
    Then did a factory reset.
    Dont connect to wifi yet,
    Uncheck every option upon set up..
    Then open development options still grayed out,

Now disable development options,
    connect to wifi,
    Reopen development options.
    Bam !!!OEM unlock now able to toggle..

Also!!!
    R/W superpack scripts work...
    Dolby, viper all work...
    After I deleted system apps I have over 1 gb of space...this ROM was actually light before the carrier bloat...
    I still can't flash retus firmware on my metro variant...anyone have success???
    Yeah, the Cricket variant gets refused by Motorola's website, so looks like I'm sorta stuck. Got it super cheap though so no real complaints.
    Sorry to hear you have the cricket att variant.
    I never I repeat NEVER buy Verizon, ATT , or any subsidiaries of them due to in the usa they LOCK BOOTLOADERS ....
    I use Metro TMobile or I buy from Best Buy to purchase all my phones ,noticed only Motorola, One Plus and Pixel devices not on Verizon or ATT, have unlock bootloader processes for us android enthusiasts.
    PS. I have a cricket sim card..
    I activated it online for 30 dollars..cheapest cricket plan,
    Then went to metro corporate store and ported the number to my metro account and got this phone on metro for 19.99
    If cricket would play ball on bootloader access I would switch but MetroPCS keeps me bootloader unlocked and rooted....lol
    After 72 hours I was able to OEM unlock. I then unlocked the bootloader. The device has been successfully rooted with Magisk 23.0. I used the Motorola recovery tool to get original boot.img. Although I have root, there seems to be some restrictions on /product/media & other various permissions. I haven't been able to change the boot animation or install BusyBox.. The root directory seems to have some things "re-arranged". Not sure what that's about. Android 11 is proving to be less awesome than Android 10. I am playing with a few ideas, mainly terminal commands using su, chmod, and others, to potentially gain permissions back. I'll post here when I find solutions. I have the phone through boost, the Denver Variant. This is a great phone, and I'd hate to be permanently blocked from making the changes I'd like to after rooting.
    Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...
    Thank you brother for the response. I really hope the devs become more active. It is so great to have TWRP and custom roms to flash. Cheers
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.
    Why is it only good till April 2022?