• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Root Moto G Stylus 5g 2021

Search This thread

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Yeah, the Cricket variant gets refused by Motorola's website, so looks like I'm sorta stuck. Got it super cheap though so no real complaints.
Sorry to hear you have the cricket att variant.
I never I repeat NEVER buy Verizon, ATT , or any subsidiaries of them due to in the usa they LOCK BOOTLOADERS ....
I use Metro TMobile or I buy from Best Buy to purchase all my phones ,noticed only Motorola, One Plus and Pixel devices not on Verizon or ATT, have unlock bootloader processes for us android enthusiasts.
PS. I have a cricket sim card..
I activated it online for 30 dollars..cheapest cricket plan,
Then went to metro corporate store and ported the number to my metro account and got this phone on metro for 19.99
If cricket would play ball on bootloader access I would switch but MetroPCS keeps me bootloader unlocked and rooted....lol

Reactions: Arkquil

varotk

Sep 20, 2010
I never I repeat NEVER buy Verizon, ATT , or any subsidiaries of them due to in the usa they LOCK BOOTLOADERS ....
I use Metro TMobile or I buy from Best Buy to purchase all my phones ,noticed only Motorola, One Plus and Pixel devices not on Verizon or ATT, have unlock bootloader processes for us android enthusiasts.
Then went to metro corporate store and ported the number to my metro account and got this phone on metro for 19.99
If cricket would play ball on bootloader access I would switch but MetroPCS keeps me bootloader unlocked and rooted....lol
so if i have one from Cricket, then im boned on doing anything with it?

xStealth

Aug 1, 2011
so if i have one from Cricket, then im boned on doing anything with it?
Yup. I was able to turn on "OEM Unlocking" after it was connected to the internet for a few days, but you still can't unlock the bootloader. If you follow the Motorola website directions it says unlocking isn't available for this device.

Atlas667

Dec 9, 2021
Moto G Stylus 5G
Finally !!!!
Update to unlock bootloader for The Metro by T-Mobile variant
After much research thanks to the n200 thread this enabled my oem option to be toggled..

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.uim

now it read back an error (0) number ...(dont worry)
so i then changed the date and time to 25 days out.
Remove sims and sd card out of the phone
Then did a factory reset.
Dont connect to wifi yet,
Uncheck every option upon set up..
Then open development options still grayed out,

Now disable development options,
connect to wifi,
Reopen development options.
Bam !!!OEM unlock now able to toggle..

Also!!!
R/W superpack scripts work...
Dolby, viper all work...
After I deleted system apps I have over 1 gb of space...this ROM was actually light before the carrier bloat...
I still can't flash retus firmware on my metro variant...anyone have success???
Hey,
How did you get R/W superpack scripts to work? I tried many times but nothing. What script and settings did you use?

Motorola G Stylus 5G Denver variant

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Hey,
How did you get R/W superpack scripts to work? I tried many times but nothing. What script and settings did you use?

Motorola G Stylus 5G Denver variant
I used this one..

%%Important ,,,Magjsk and Busybox must be installed or you will boot-loop....%%

Remove the .pdf rename to superpack
Move file to data/local/tmp
There are usb adb commands to run the script

"Not my script just sharing."

Ok located the commands....
Enjoy.

5. Move “superrepack” file on your phone to /data/local/tmp folder. If you have root and using a root explorer you can’t miss it (obviously without quotations).

6. Connect your phone to your PC via the charging cable.adb shell

8. Type: “su” and press enter. This will change C:/TheNameOfYourDirectory to denver/ $

9. Type: “su” and press enter. This will change the dollar sign “$” to a sharp symbol “#” and will look like denver/ # Make sure you allow permissions if Magisk asks for it or it will give you a permission denied message.

10. Type: “ls -Alg /dev/block/by-name | grep "super"” and press enter since you need to know where your block device is. It should return a result that looks like “lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 16 1970-01-01 08:07 super -> /dev/block/NameOfYourBlock” (obviously without quotations except the quotations in "super" - keep those)

11. Copy and paste somewhere “/dev/block/NameOfYourBlock” (obviously without quotations). You’re going to need that later.

12. Open Command prompt

13. Type: “adb shell” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. This will change C:/TheNameOfYourDirectory to denvev:/ $

14. Type: “su” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. This will change the dollar sign “$” to a sharp symbol “#” and will look like denver:/ #

15. Type: “chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/superrepack” (obviously without quotations) and press enter as the chmod command will give us root permissions to run the script. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Don’t worry if it goes to a blank next line that’s normal.

16. Type: “setenforce 0” (obviously without quotations) and press enter as we need to disable selinux. Again, don’t worry if it goes to a blank next line as that’s normal.

17. Type: “/data/local/tmp/superrepack /Name/of/your/block” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. Let the script run to the end.

18. Reboot your phone.

19. When your phone is rebooted go to Root Explorer (or your explorer).

Attachments

• superrepack.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: Atlas667

mingkee

Their (talking Metro by T-Mobile) 3G shutdown was scheduled for October 1st of this year, but they moved it to April 2022. 3G shutdown = phones not capable of 5G will no longer work on that network. So its kinda puzzling why the non-5G version of the Moto G Stylus is getting such development and the actual 5G version...isn't. Also weird that Metro is selling a non-5G version at all given the looming 3G sunset but...here we are.

But, at least they have till April. I have till February (I'm with Cricket(AT&T)). Verizon is holding out the longest with January 2023 for their 3G sunset.
You're wrong
Phones support VoLTE are guaranteed to work after UMTS (3G) decommissioned.

Reactions: WavyDroid
I have the retail unlocked version (bought from the moto website). Was able to unlock the BL after 3 days. I know there is a trick with monkeying with the phone time with Samsung devices. It would probably work the same with the moto's

disneytoy

Jul 31, 2011
OP, I have the Stylus 5G from TMO. My main need is to use it for a Hotspot. As stock, I can't use Hotspot. I just get connected, no internet. Before I go to a custom ROM, have you had any luck getting Hotspot to connect with internet?

I haven't done any of this since my Galaxy Note 5. :)

I'm considering Lineage ROM. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Max

kmarantz

Nov 16, 2013
OP, I have the Stylus 5G from TMO. My main need is to use it for a Hotspot. As stock, I can't use Hotspot. I just get connected, no internet. Before I go to a custom ROM, have you had any luck getting Hotspot to connect with internet?

Thanks

Max
For hotspot, root it, install xposed and xtether. Add apn with dun.

ShayBox

Jul 4, 2015
shaybox.com
Moto G Stylus 5G

Thanks

Max
There's no roms for the Stylus 5G

Cbayer86

Nov 24, 2021
Moto G Stylus 5G
I used this one..

%%Important ,,,Magjsk and Busybox must be installed or you will boot-loop....%%

Remove the .pdf rename to superpack
Move file to data/local/tmp
There are usb adb commands to run the script

"Not my script just sharing."

Ok located the commands....
Enjoy.

5. Move “superrepack” file on your phone to /data/local/tmp folder. If you have root and using a root explorer you can’t miss it (obviously without quotations).

6. Connect your phone to your PC via the charging cable.adb shell

8. Type: “su” and press enter. This will change C:/TheNameOfYourDirectory to denver/ $

9. Type: “su” and press enter. This will change the dollar sign “$” to a sharp symbol “#” and will look like denver/ # Make sure you allow permissions if Magisk asks for it or it will give you a permission denied message.

10. Type: “ls -Alg /dev/block/by-name | grep "super"” and press enter since you need to know where your block device is. It should return a result that looks like “lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 16 1970-01-01 08:07 super -> /dev/block/NameOfYourBlock” (obviously without quotations except the quotations in "super" - keep those)

11. Copy and paste somewhere “/dev/block/NameOfYourBlock” (obviously without quotations). You’re going to need that later.

12. Open Command prompt

13. Type: “adb shell” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. This will change C:/TheNameOfYourDirectory to denvev:/ $

14. Type: “su” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. This will change the dollar sign “$” to a sharp symbol “#” and will look like denver:/ #

15. Type: “chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/superrepack” (obviously without quotations) and press enter as the chmod command will give us root permissions to run the script. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Don’t worry if it goes to a blank next line that’s normal.

16. Type: “setenforce 0” (obviously without quotations) and press enter as we need to disable selinux. Again, don’t worry if it goes to a blank next line as that’s normal.

17. Type: “/data/local/tmp/superrepack /Name/of/your/block” (obviously without quotations) and press enter. Let the script run to the end.

18. Reboot your phone.

19. When your phone is rebooted go to Root Explorer (or your explorer).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211221-183525-991.png
    Screenshot_20211221-183525-991.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 23

Cbayer86

Nov 24, 2021
Moto G Stylus 5G
What symbol is that can u make all this a little more user friendly or newbie friendly like what do I put for "name of your block " is that like the model of my phone got alot of uncertainty here sorry in advance

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
When you run this command in adb shell

Ls -ALg /dev/block/by-name | grep "super"

you will see what your dev/block/number is
copy and paste it so you will always have it.
Flashing from rom to rom or stock that dev/block/number will always be the same..

Example my dev block is /dev/block/sde##…. your dev block number may be different.
So when you run the last command to run the script your telling the script what your dev/block/number is...
Hope this helps good luck..

Okay these are my commands like in the guide posted above

Connect phone to cpu USB debugging on

Move superrepack file in your phones directory to
data/local/tmp

Type
1. adb shell
2. su
3.chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/superrepack
4.setenforce 0
5. /data/local/tmp/superrepack /dev/block/sde##(your dev number)
Reboot after script runs for 10 seconds or less.
Profit

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After 72 hours I was able to OEM unlock. I then unlocked the bootloader. The device has been successfully rooted with Magisk 23.0. I used the Motorola recovery tool to get original boot.img. Although I have root, there seems to be some restrictions on /product/media & other various permissions. I haven't been able to change the boot animation or install BusyBox.. The root directory seems to have some things "re-arranged". Not sure what that's about. Android 11 is proving to be less awesome than Android 10. I am playing with a few ideas, mainly terminal commands using su, chmod, and others, to potentially gain permissions back. I'll post here when I find solutions. I have the phone through boost, the Denver Variant. This is a great phone, and I'd hate to be permanently blocked from making the changes I'd like to after rooting.
    Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...

Thanks

Max
    For hotspot, root it, install xposed and xtether. Add apn with dun.
    Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...
    Thank you brother for the response. I really hope the devs become more active. It is so great to have TWRP and custom roms to flash. Cheers
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.