Question Root Moto G Stylus 5g 2021

Search This thread

rob420p

Dec 16, 2013
Bmore
OnePlus 7T
Samsung Galaxy A12
Thank you brother for the response. I really hope the devs become more active. It is so great to have TWRP and custom roms to flash. Cheers
ive noticed the last few years it takes time and with tmo the device is a lil different from ehat ive seen mind u this is coming from a oneolus 7t xiaomi 11a is it takes almost a year before dev really starts to jump some times longer the 7t is a two year ops device twrp is still not right and ots still somewhat limited in roms granted its got alot more then this device but its 3 times as old.it really seams like its the pixel devices a couple other devices that get a ton of devs as for us tmo or metro im tmo myself it will probably take longer.shockingly my tmo 7t had a way to change it to a global varient instead of tmo which i did.but trade offs have to side load litterly all custom roms twrp actually hard bricked my device or i used twrp to hard brick it.so i wont say twrp did it but had major issues flashing roms i tryed like 4 of them.but anyway sorry about the rant stoned and a lil tipsey by the way typsey rom used to he awsome when it was alive

I need some help unlocking my bootloader .I get the five-string code in fast mode. when I go to Motorola's website enter it in the website says device is not on the list of compatible devices for unlock program or something like that. I've unlocked another g stylus 5G that was a boost phone and it worked just fine if.i get a brand new phone and it won't allow me to unlock this one. Any ideas ?

Reactions: bouyakasha
I need some help unlocking my bootloader .I get the five-string code in fast mode. when I go to Motorola's website enter it in the website says device is not on the list of compatible devices for unlock program or something like that. I've unlocked another g stylus 5G that was a boost phone and it worked just fine if.i get a brand new phone and it won't allow me to unlock this one. Any ideas ?
Nvmd figures it out

Mind telling us what you did?
Of course, initially when I got the phone I went into developer options toggled OEM unlocking, forgot to turn off automatic updates. I had received an update that I didn't even know about till after it happened and OEM unlocking was turned off and greyed out. Now I was stumped until I realized I read on a different forum I think it was for a Samsung s device. Where you could toggle the the automatic time off set a few days out or month out or something and reboot the phone and it won't be greyed out no more. Needless to say that didn't work. So I did what any sane android enthusiast would do....... And wrecked the software! Haha !!!! Eventually I wound up with it saying that it did not have an operating system. So from here I cross flashed the AMXLA firmware to the phone (i'm not sure if it would actually have worked or not but that was not my goal). I then grabbed the T-Mobile / Metro PCS firmware unzipped it took the service file XML out opened it up with notepad plus plus created my own flashall script (with the help of YouTube and some trial and error trying to get it to work right). The phone came back to life, I went into developer options and OEM unlocking was not greyed out no more I toggled it on and made sure to turn off automatic updates. I then went to the DSU loader loaded a GSI into the other slot. Went back to the website after getting new unlock data and it worked this time. Got email and unlocked bootloader rebooted and profited!

D

Deleted member 12106193

Of course, initially when I got the phone I went into developer options toggled OEM unlocking, forgot to turn off automatic updates. I had received an update that I didn't even know about till after it happened and OEM unlocking was turned off and greyed out. Now I was stumped until I realized I read on a different forum I think it was for a Samsung s device. Where you could toggle the the automatic time off set a few days out or month out or something and reboot the phone and it won't be greyed out no more. Needless to say that didn't work. So I did what any sane android enthusiast would do....... And wrecked the software! Haha !!!! Eventually I wound up with it saying that it did not have an operating system. So from here I cross flashed the AMXLA firmware to the phone (i'm not sure if it would actually have worked or not but that was not my goal). I then grabbed the T-Mobile / Metro PCS firmware unzipped it took the service file XML out opened it up with notepad plus plus created my own flashall script (with the help of YouTube and some trial and error trying to get it to work right). The phone came back to life, I went into developer options and OEM unlocking was not greyed out no more I toggled it on and made sure to turn off automatic updates. I then went to the DSU loader loaded a GSI into the other slot. Went back to the website after getting new unlock data and it worked this time. Got email and unlocked bootloader rebooted and profited!
What variant phone did you have originally? I have a Verizon variant and cannot unlock bootloader. Do you think if I flash a different firmware it will allow me to unlock bootloader?

Sep 10, 2017
Moto G Stylus 5G
Can you please post the steps that you went through in rooting your phone?
Yeah for sure, I started by waiting 48 hours for the network to allow me to toggle "oem unlocking" in the dev settings. Then I downloaded the moto software recovery app for windows, placed my phone into fastboot mode, used the windows app to extract the boot.img, then transfered it to my phone, patched with magisk, unlocked the bootloader with moto unlock website, flashed patched image. Done

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008

So in this flashall script you created, you didn't flash the bootloader, right? Because you've yet to unlock it so it wouldn't work?
What files did you flash?
Very interested to learn more.

OCBiggiE

Nov 7, 2021
I noticed there are 2 variants for the tmobile moto gbo stylus 5g xt 2131-1... I have the RRESQ31.47-2-2-2 version and I am looking for the correct "BOOT.IMG" file by itself. I noticed there was also the RREQ31.47-2-2-2 which is incorrect according to my build version. I am having a hard time with the download time that it takes to download the completer ROM file (bad internet speed). Is there somewhere that you can grab just the BOOT.IMG file fromo the ROM without having to download the whole file???

OR...

By luck, might someone have the correct BOOT.IMG file they could kindly send over?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any advice or heop with this. Thanks everyone!

I noticed there are 2 variants for the tmobile moto gbo stylus 5g xt 2131-1... I have the RRESQ31.47-2-2-2 version and I am looking for the correct "BOOT.IMG" file by itself. I noticed there was also the RREQ31.47-2-2-2 which is incorrect according to my build version. I am having a hard time with the download time that it takes to download the completer ROM file (bad internet speed). Is there somewhere that you can grab just the BOOT.IMG file fromo the ROM without having to download the whole file???

OR...

By luck, might someone have the correct BOOT.IMG file they could kindly send over?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any advice or heop with this. Thanks everyone!
They are the same, just typo (missing one letter) in the name.

OK... Here's a brief rundown.

ALL the carriers (ATT/Verizon/Tmobile)
are retiring their 3g networks next year.

I believe ATT's is at the end of February 2022.

Started this thread because I was affected.
AT&T marked my redmi note 9 plus as a 3G phone, instead of as a 4g phone.

and I moved to a 4g ONLY location, and lost all service.

Thus, I moved to a moto G5 stylus 5g (what a mouthful!)

Now I again need to re-root, to remove the tether provisioning app.

I forgot that when I had a moto G3 I swore to never buy another moto phone for that reason!

sigh

update notes:
just got bootloader unlocked
about to root to install magisk.
and then diesble that darn hot-spot check!
and insert ad repellant!
cheers
Wait are you on an att variant of this phone? If so how'd you unlock the boot loader?

nibake

Feb 21, 2020
Sorry to hear you have the cricket att variant.
I never I repeat NEVER buy Verizon, ATT , or any subsidiaries of them due to in the usa they LOCK BOOTLOADERS ....
I use Metro TMobile or I buy from Best Buy to purchase all my phones ,noticed only Motorola, One Plus and Pixel devices not on Verizon or ATT, have unlock bootloader processes for us android enthusiasts.
PS. I have a cricket sim card..
I activated it online for 30 dollars..cheapest cricket plan,
Then went to metro corporate store and ported the number to my metro account and got this phone on metro for 19.99
If cricket would play ball on bootloader access I would switch but MetroPCS keeps me bootloader unlocked and rooted....lol

Hi, I followed your steps to try the date and time hack, but OEM unlock is still greyed out. Any ideas on what I could try or do differently? It's XT2131-1. Thanks.

DannyShane

Sep 26, 2012
League City
Moto G Stylus 5G
Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to root the XT2131-1? I tried patching the boot.img file with Magisk 25.2, flashed it with the fastboot boot boot.img command, phone rebooted fine, i checked root status with Root Checker app by JRummy, and I'm being told I do not have root status. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe offer a different method of rooting for this device. I have TWRP installed this is the version = twrp-3.6.2_11.0-BETA-V3.img. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After 72 hours I was able to OEM unlock. I then unlocked the bootloader. The device has been successfully rooted with Magisk 23.0. I used the Motorola recovery tool to get original boot.img. Although I have root, there seems to be some restrictions on /product/media & other various permissions. I haven't been able to change the boot animation or install BusyBox.. The root directory seems to have some things "re-arranged". Not sure what that's about. Android 11 is proving to be less awesome than Android 10. I am playing with a few ideas, mainly terminal commands using su, chmod, and others, to potentially gain permissions back. I'll post here when I find solutions. I have the phone through boost, the Denver Variant. This is a great phone, and I'd hate to be permanently blocked from making the changes I'd like to after rooting.
    Hey man i have the same phone but mine is the metro pcs variant and i manege to gain root as well i hope we can get the twrp recovery soon, i get in here almost avery day just to see if the twrp is available now but it seems its gonna be a while till we can get it and i agree with you "our" phone this is for that guy who ask who is "our" i noticed the way he said it dont worry thanks for sharing that info bro i appreciate after i read your post i could get my phone root it as well...
    How to do it? I do wanna try it

And

I have verified these methods work on my Moto G Stylus 2021 and Moto G5 Stylus 2021
    I didn't say 4G was going away. I said 3G. And you of course you know the carriers won't allow 4G/LTE only, right? you'll need two, 3G/4G together, and when the sunset happens, 4G/5G together. More on that below:

I'd ask the same of you, sir/ma'am. 4G is not enough, or else Cricket wouldn't be sending out texts saying to buy a 5G phone (from them, of course) by February or lose your service. You...DO know they're doing that, right? Surely one accusing one of not doing research has done research themselves on the matter? Let me help you: the xda board for the phone I currently have, the Note 10 Lite, talked about that.
    All I will say is if you want to believe that a customer has to buy a 5G phone to continue service with Cricket, go right ahead.
    Seems like everyone has the non-5g version. Which is good till April 2022 at least.
    Why is it only good till April 2022?