----- Root Moto M S356 Android 7 -------

Search This thread

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
Hi guys,
I have started this thread so that you guys can root your moto M XT_1663_S356 andriod (7.0)

First of all i'm not responsible if your phone bricks burns or dies.
A big thanks to VVizard from lenovo RU forum with out him, it was not possible.
Thanks to Chainfire for the SuperSu.zip

To check Build number go to Settings -> About Phone-> Build number

Note -
1 - This only works for Moto M which is having build number XT1663_S356_170621_ROW. If you are on any other build number then please don't proceed.
2 - All the files are attached
3 - Install all the Motoral drivers and Minimal and adb folder.
4 - Following link contains all files needed to root the phone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3eDb0dWRU-uUjk4ZS1tdFpRR1U/view?usp=sharing

Rooting Moto M phone is divided into 3 Parts
1) Unlocking BootLoader
2) Flashing TWRP
3) Flashing SuperSu.zip

unlocking the bootloader

Note - This will wipe out all the data hence take a backup before unlocking boot loader

1 - First of all enable the Developer Option, To Enable the Developer Option, Go to your Settings -> About Phone-> Now Tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message “Developer option enabled"
2 - Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
3 - Download and Extract the Downloaded ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC
4 - Now connect your phone to Computer using USB Cable.
5 - When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
6 - In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click
7 - Now type the command in your command window

adb devices

If you see a pop up to allow USB Debugging on your phone, Click OK
8 - Now type the command below to reboot your phone to bootloader

adb reboot bootloader

9 - Once your phone reboot into bootloader, then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.

fastboot devices

10 - This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly.
11 - If your phone is listed then type in the following command in CMD.

fastboot oem unlock

12 - Check your phone you would have written"do you really want to unloock bootloader ? "(something like this). Just select yes using volume up and down button and press power button to confirm it .

13 - Congrats your bootloader is unlocked :)

Install TWRP

Note - You should have your bootloader unlocked before proceeding.

Copy the boot_XT1663_356.img and TWRP_Moto_M.img to Minimal adb folder

1 - First of all enable the Developer Option, To Enable the Developer Option, Go to your Settings -> About Phone-> Now Tap on the Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a toast message “Developer option enabled"
2 - Go back to settings -> Now you need to enable the OEM Unlock by going to Settings -> Developer Option and Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
5 - When you connect your Phone to Computer, please wait until all the drivers get installed.
6 - In your ADB fastboot folder open a command prompt window by pressing Shift Key + Right Mouse Click

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

9 - Once your phone reboot into bootloader, then type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are installed properly.

fastboot devices

10 - This command will list the connected devices. If your phone’s serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly.

fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img

12 - To flash the recovery, Type the command

fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Moto_M.img

13 - Congrats! you have successfully installed TWRP.

Rooting Phone.

Note -
You should have your bootloader unlocked.
You should have TWRP installed.
You should have supersu.zip copied in your phone.

1 - Switch off your phone. Now press volume down + power button till phone vibrates. Once it vibrates release the power button you should see android logo.
2 - Now with the help of volume up and down button select 'Recovery mode' and press power button.
3 - TWRP should start up.
4 - Select 'Allow Modification' and proceed.
5 - Select 'Install' and then select the 'SuperSu.zip' file and flash it.
6 -Restart the Phone.
7 - Congrats! your phone is rooted.

Note -

I have tried all this steps and have successfully rooted my phone i'm not responsible for any damage.
I have not build the boot_M_S365/ img file this is done by VVizard and really very thank full to him.

Last edited:

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon
Method Issues

Bro, I have faced a few problems since I have started
i) When I type in adb devices it shows my phone but unauthorized
so I have to allow it as you said but only after a reboot and doing the process again will it show authorized
ii) after entering adb reboot bootloader it doesnt show bootloader locked but straight up fastboot mode
iii) then when i enter fastboot oem unlock it shows asks me if I want to unlock, I press on volume up. Then it again asks me some other thing and I hold the volume up down and power together. Next I reboot into my phone. All data erased. I setup it again.

Now, does this mean my bootloader is unlocked? When I reboot it shows something on the middle right- unlocked..

So does this mean I continue and install twrp now? or what?

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
so I have to allow it as you said but only after a reboot and doing the process again will it show authorized
ii) after entering adb reboot bootloader it doesnt show bootloader locked but straight up fastboot mode
iii) then when i enter fastboot oem unlock it shows asks me if I want to unlock, I press on volume up. Then it again asks me some other thing and I hold the volume up down and power together. Next I reboot into my phone. All data erased. I setup it again.

Now, does this mean my bootloader is unlocked? When I reboot it shows something on the middle right- unlocked..

1 - It doen't matter if its authorized or not..
2 - yes! thats correct it directly takes you to fastboot mode it use to show bootloader locked for old Moto phones).I 'll make changes in the thread.

Yes! your bootloader is unlocked successfully..
if you see something like 'Your devices is unlocked and cant be trusted' on the left hand side during the moto logo.

Reactions: manandua01

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon
TWRP Recovery

2 - yes! thats correct it directly takes you to fastboot mode it use to show bootloader locked for old Moto phones).I 'll make changes in the thread.

if you see something like 'Your devices is unlocked and cant be trusted' on the left hand side during the moto logo.

Thanks for your help Y_Y
Hey bro, I am not about to install the recovery.

Before this may I ask why we need to flash boot_XT1663_356.img ?

Also, isn't this command wrong? fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img
It should be fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img
Without the boot twice ryt?
Also, will the data be erased after installing TWRP recovery or not? If not, will it be erased after installing the SuperSU?

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
Thanks for your help Y_Y
Hey bro, I am not about to install the recovery.

Before this may I ask why we need to flash boot_XT1663_356.img ?

Also, isn't this command wrong? fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img
It should be fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img
Without the boot twice ryt?
Also, will the data be erased after installing TWRP recovery or not? If not, will it be erased after installing the SuperSU?

1 - It is the Image file which is specifically build for S356 (build number) hence it is necessary to flash it before flashing TWRP. If you don't flash boot image then you might face boot loop issues and hard brick your phone.

2 - The correct command is 'fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img' . the first boot is to recognize cmd that we are flashing a boot image and the second boot is the name of image file.

3 - Flashing TWRP and Super SU won't erase your data.

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon
1 - It is the Image file which is specifically build for S356 (build number) hence it is necessary to flash it before flashing TWRP. If you don't flash boot image then you might face boot loop issues and hard brick your phone.

2 - The correct command is 'fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img' . the first boot is to recognize cmd that we are flashing a boot image and the second boot is the name of image file.

I installed TWRP unlocked bootloader copied SuperSU- and was abt to root. With volume up and down I came to Factory Mode
It said Factory Mode

I pressed on power button- now it shows something in Japenese or Chinese what should I DO? I am scared as hell bro

ITS DOING SOME WEIRD STUFF NOW- GPS, SIM etc I have no clue .-.

UPDATE: Rebooting phone- Back to my home screen now. Heres what happened
(uploading video will post link here soon)

Last edited:

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
I installed TWRP unlocked bootloader copied SuperSU- and was abt to root. With volume up and down I came to Factory Mode
It said Factory Mode

I pressed on power button- now it shows something in Japenese or Chinese what should I DO? I am scared as hell bro

As i have mentioned in my thread that you need to select recovery mode and not factory mode
Please select recovery mode and you should b able to see twrp
Note - to select recovery mode press volum up n down button till it shows 'recovery mode ' in the andrioid logo screen

Last edited:
Reactions: manandua01

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon

As i have mentioned in my thread that you need to select recovery mode and not factory mode
Note - to select recovery mode press volum up n down button till it shows 'recovery mode ' in the andrioid logo screen

Bro, I opened Recovery Mode, but now its asking for a password. It shows temp on the top. You from India, ryt? Could you give me your number? or maybe a skype id?

EDIT: Here's what was on my cmd after flashing the recovery http://prntscr.com/ft3t1l

Last edited:

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon

Please reply asap

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Go ahead ignore the password part.. it will only appear first time.. you should have a option to go ahead..

Ok trying now

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Go ahead ignore the password part.. it will only appear first time.. you should have a option to go ahead..

Yo bro, I can only view External (sd card) storage. Not internal storage! What to do now? As I have SuperSU in Internal Storage

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Ok, I have rooted the phone successfully. Had to copy the SuperSU file to SD Card though 6-6

akash.mahadeshwar

Dec 10, 2012
Mumbai
Please reply asap

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Ok trying now

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Yo bro, I can only view External (sd card) storage. Not internal storage! What to do now? As I have SuperSU in Internal Storage

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Ok, I have rooted the phone successfully. Had to copy the SuperSU file to SD Card though 6-6

Ext_sdcard folder is ur memory card folder and sdcard folder is the internal memory folder in twrp

qaies

Aug 3, 2017
I really thank you for this great effort
all things went good but I had a problem that I didn't find the SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip although I am sure that I put it in the internal memory

please help

pdf5

Apr 3, 2011
london
Hi there,
After I unlocked the bootloader, pushed the twrp recovery successfully, got stuck in the recovery mod each time I reboot the phone so can't boot the stock rom. Done wipe factory reset and format data and still nothing changed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance OP

Edit: Just solved issue by flashing stock firmware

Last edited:

LordSacha

Jun 20, 2014
Hi there,
After I unlocked the bootloader, pushed the twrp recovery successfully, got stuck in the recovery mod each time I reboot the phone so can't boot the stock rom. Done wipe factory reset and format data and still nothing changed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance OP

Edit: Just solved issue by flashing stock firmware

May I have the firmware file, just in case? Is it ok if firmware country code doesn't match? Do you get imei?

manandua01

Dec 13, 2013
Gurgaon
Does anyone know how to keep your Moto M rooted even after updating to the new security update of 7.0? Do we just flash the new .img file or what? Kinda newb here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    I have started this thread so that you guys can root your moto M XT_1663_S356 andriod (7.0)

First of all i'm not responsible if your phone bricks burns or dies.
    A big thanks to VVizard from lenovo RU forum with out him, it was not possible.
    Thanks to Chainfire for the SuperSu.zip

To check Build number go to Settings -> About Phone-> Build number

Note -
    1 - This only works for Moto M which is having build number XT1663_S356_170621_ROW. If you are on any other build number then please don't proceed.
    2 - All the files are attached
    3 - Install all the Motoral drivers and Minimal and adb folder.
    4 - Following link contains all files needed to root the phone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3eDb0dWRU-uUjk4ZS1tdFpRR1U/view?usp=sharing

Rooting Moto M phone is divided into 3 Parts
    1) Unlocking BootLoader
    2) Flashing TWRP
    3) Flashing SuperSu.zip

unlocking the bootloader

Note - This will wipe out all the data hence take a backup before unlocking boot loader

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

fastboot oem unlock

12 - Check your phone you would have written"do you really want to unloock bootloader ? "(something like this). Just select yes using volume up and down button and press power button to confirm it .

13 - Congrats your bootloader is unlocked :)

Install TWRP

Note - You should have your bootloader unlocked before proceeding.

Copy the boot_XT1663_356.img and TWRP_Moto_M.img to Minimal adb folder

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

fastboot flash boot boot_XT1663_356.img

12 - To flash the recovery, Type the command

fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Moto_M.img

13 - Congrats! you have successfully installed TWRP.

Rooting Phone.

Note -
    You should have your bootloader unlocked.
    You should have TWRP installed.
    You should have supersu.zip copied in your phone.

1 - Switch off your phone. Now press volume down + power button till phone vibrates. Once it vibrates release the power button you should see android logo.
    2 - Now with the help of volume up and down button select 'Recovery mode' and press power button.
    3 - TWRP should start up.
    4 - Select 'Allow Modification' and proceed.
    5 - Select 'Install' and then select the 'SuperSu.zip' file and flash it.
    6 -Restart the Phone.
    7 - Congrats! your phone is rooted.

Note -

I have tried all this steps and have successfully rooted my phone i'm not responsible for any damage.
    I have not build the boot_M_S365/ img file this is done by VVizard and really very thank full to him.

It said Factory Mode

---===<<<Alternative to get ROOT>>>===---

I'll add an alternative to get ROOT on Moto M.​

1 - We go on a visit.
    2 - Select the Magisk Manager - Root Administrator application rights.
    3 - Fully comply with the instructions outlined there, but if it's easier, then:
    *****3.1 - Completely remove the previous ROOT by means of the application-managers of the root rights. If SuperSU, then in the application there is a complete removal of the root. But I will still recommend installing on a clean system, i.e. after a complete firmware of the device, removing the Bootloader lock and installing TWRP.
    *****3.2 - Download and install the latest version (always up-to-date and updated) of Magisk Manager.
    *****3.3 - Start the Magisk Manager and, if asked to install MagiskSU, answer in the affirmative.
    ****3.4 - Reboot to TWRP and select the archive installation from the MagiskManager folder.
    *****3.5 - Reboot to the system.

Well, that's it. ROOT received, you can install the modules and generally, enjoy a full ... No ... More than a full ROOT.

PS: The most important thing, do not forget to execute item 3.1, without it, full-time work of Magisk Manager and MagiskSU will not be.

All thanks for Magisk Manager and MagiskSU to Mr. topjohnwu

Finally:
    Removal:
    1 - Remove the Magisk Manager application from the device.
    2 - Boot into TWRP and flash the archive to completely remove MagiskSU. Always the current version can be taken here.

Always yours, BOPOH'Ok ...