Root MT4G

Search This thread

mikeyboc

Feb 1, 2010
Posting this for what it is worth . . .

Played around with a MT4G and it will gain root by using VISIONary, BUT even with root access I was unable to write to system as it was r/o and would not let me change it using Root Explorer. I would have to rerun VISIONary after reboot as well to regain root access.

Jrbourque walked me through a couple things and we couldn't get it to work.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone had the same issue or if it was just me.

Will have access to the phone again tomorrow if anyone has any ideas.

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
Posting this for what it is worth . . .

Played around with a MT4G and it will gain root by using VISIONary, BUT even with root access I was unable to write to system as it was r/o and would not let me change it using Root Explorer. I would have to rerun VISIONary after reboot as well to regain root access.

Jrbourque walked me through a couple things and we couldn't get it to work.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone had the same issue or if it was just me.

Will have access to the phone again tomorrow if anyone has any ideas.

I have run into the same exact issue. The phone rooted with VISIONary, Superuser allowed access to the programs requiring root but it seemed to give strange issues afterwards; i.e. adfree worked intermittently, then showed no root access when attempting to check for updates -- VISIONary showed that the device was already rooted.

I guess I am spoiled - I am so used to being fully rooted with other devices that I almost forgot about the ads

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
I wouldn't do that just yet. I'd let some smart people get in hold of this phone and try it first. Not implying that anyone is not smart, just saying that it may not be a good idea until unrevoked folks confirm it themselves.

eh, someone has got to start somewhere. And since the official rom is already out cant you just reflash the phone?

malaeus

Mar 27, 2009
im assuming all those with the mt4g already are tmo employees?

sure wish i could get a job there, applied and they said no. even though ive sold android phones in tmobile before as a customer!! LOL

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
Assuming only temproot is achieved on the mt4g (at least for the time being), would that still allow you to remove some of the bloatware on the phone? For example, I've read some of the pre-installed game demos/icons can't be deleted from the home screen...can you remove those with temproot? If so, would they come back after a reboot and require a 1-click temproot after each reboot, or if removed after temproot would they stay gone after reboot?

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN
Assuming only temproot is achieved on the mt4g (at least for the time being), would that still allow you to remove some of the bloatware on the phone? For example, I've read some of the pre-installed game demos/icons can't be deleted from the home screen...can you remove those with temproot? If so, would they come back after a reboot and require a 1-click temproot after each reboot, or if removed after temproot would they stay gone after reboot?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=809231

Read first post there. This method will let you completely disable any app you want. They will still be present in the phone but they will permanently (or until you enable them) disappear from launcher and will not be hogging your precious RAM memory and CPU cycles.