• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

Kingofkings2991

Jul 23, 2021
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
You may be able to fastboot boot it, but since it is a different software branch it may not work or you may have some functions like WiFi not working correctly. By the way, sorry if it sounds stupid, but were you really able to unlock bootloader of your unit without waiting for a SIM unlock from T-Mobile and an unlock token from OnePlus? That's how it was in the past for T-Mobile variants of OnePlus devices (albeit N10/N100 are first devices which are also sold by Metro by T-Mobile).

Also, could you please also share some getprop properties? Specifically ro.product.name, ro.product.model, ro.build.version.ota, ro.build.fingerprint, ro.build.version.security_patch, ro.boot.project_codename and ro.boot.project_name?
Idea here is to know how different this variant is compared to unlocked units (but also to "normal" T-Mobile variant).

Last edited:

Futtbucker34

Jul 22, 2021
It was actually easy for me to do. At first it was greyed out and I tried one thing I read on this site but didn't work so what I did was set my time/date one year back then rebooted my phone with internet access then after rebooted I set it one year forward as in '22 then turned my internet off. Put the date back to normal and it was unlocked. Still is, now looking to root.
I unlocked mine with the unlock app on my metro by tmobile phone. Didn't have to hit up oneplus for a unlock token either.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I unlocked mine with the unlock app on my metro by tmobile phone. Didn't have to hit up oneplus for a unlock token either.
He said he unlocked, and then you can root anything.

I, like him, have the MetroPCS N10 and we have an unlock app that only unlocks the SIM, not the bootloader.

You'll notice that he used the word "token", which again I believe OnePlus will give to T-Mobile owners to unlock their bootloaders but not to MetroPCS owners.

As far as I know, there is no way to unlock the bootloader of the MetroPCS N10 unless this person knows something I don't, which is why I asked.

ca5bah

Jun 22, 2013
Updated OP with GLO and EU OTAs, boot images and patched images for A11.

Disclaimer: I did not install the A11 yet - i extracted the files from the OTA. But the installation procedure should be just like before.
Hi, I'm currently on Pixel Experience. I'd like to get back to Oxygen now that the update is out finally. What is the best course of action with PE/PE's recovery installed right now? Sorry to be a bother, but I've been out of the scene for 5-6 years and am trying to get my bearings again.

Last edited:

andreas__

Hi, I'm currently on Pixel Experience. I'd like to get back to Oxygen now that the update is out finally. What is the best course of action with PE/PE's recovery installed right now? Sorry to be a bother, but I've been out of the scene for 5-6 years and am trying to get my bearings again.
You can extract all partitions from the n10 OTA and flash via fastboot (search for flash-all.bat script, maybe from OnePlus nord).
Not sure it will work, otherwise you can always use MSM download tool, that's the simple way.

Both ways you must wipe data but when you're rooted you can use e.g. oandbackup or Titanium to backup before and restore when you're finished.

ca5bah

Jun 22, 2013
You can extract all partitions from the n10 OTA and flash via fastboot (search for flash-all.bat script, maybe from OnePlus nord).
Not sure it will work, otherwise you can always use MSM download tool, that's the simple way.

Both ways you must wipe data but when you're rooted you can use e.g. oandbackup or Titanium to backup before and restore when you're finished.
Thank you.

ca5bah

Jun 22, 2013
Updated OP with GLO and EU OTAs, boot images and patched images for A11.

Disclaimer: I did not install the A11 yet - i extracted the files from the OTA. But the installation procedure should be just like before.
I think something is wrong with the boot images you updated the post with; I have been trying and resetting with MsM4.0 for the past few hours, the magisk image, magisk patch method, and given boot file don't work as far as I've tried. They all crash to recovery saying that it cannot boot the kernel. I am positive I am following the instructions verbatim, and quadruple checked model-file compatibility.

maback

Aug 15, 2008
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Will this method still work when going from 10 to 11 OTA?

How to survive OTA:
  1. Disable automatic update in developer options
  2. In Magisk App choose uninstall > restore image - DON'T REBOOT
  3. Now do the OTA update - DON'T REBOOT
  4. in Magisk App select install > to inactive slot
  5. reboot now! the stock image is backed up to /data/root/magisk*

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011
I think something is wrong with the boot images you updated the post with; I have been trying and resetting with MsM4.0 for the past few hours, the magisk image, magisk patch method, and given boot file don't work as far as I've tried. They all crash to recovery saying that it cannot boot the kernel. I am positive I am following the instructions verbatim, and quadruple checked model-file compatibility.
I posted the eur boot image I pulled it from msm read back function you can pull your own boot img from that software

mingkee

Will this method still work when going from 10 to 11 OTA?

How to survive OTA:
  1. Disable automatic update in developer options
  2. In Magisk App choose uninstall > restore image - DON'T REBOOT
  3. Now do the OTA update - DON'T REBOOT
  4. in Magisk App select install > to inactive slot
  5. reboot now! the stock image is backed up to /data/root/magisk*
The only difference this time is you don't have to revert boot. Just update and go to step 4

Reactions: Pawemix and maback

andreas__

So what's your version then?
I extracted GLO boot image from the OTA and @scottlam1 extracted EU from his device.

Top Liked Posts