• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

ca5bah

Jun 22, 2013
So what's your version then?
I extracted GLO boot image from the OTA and @scottlam1 extracted EU from his device.

I verified my version of the phone being BE89AB/International. What threw me off previously was that I was assuming international = global. I used the prepatched file as well as the file I patched myself, both end up throwing me into a failed boot for reason of the kernel being unable to load.

kbs24

May 5, 2010
Hello, I rooted my Nord n10 on android Q as per the guidelines using your patched boot.img and all was fine until somehow, even though I turned off automatic updates in developer options, a download update came in for android 11 and even though I did NOT ask for a restart it restarted and now I am on unrooted 11. All my data seems intact.. However, so far I do not like the look of 11 on this phone, so I am asking, How do I go back to my rooted Android 10? Do I just repeat the original process using your boot image? Will I then lose all my data?? Before I decide to do anything, I need to know, because I don't want to lose my data and start all over with my customizations. Please help! Thanks!

andreas__

Hello, I rooted my Nord n10 on android Q as per the guidelines using your patched boot.img and all was fine until somehow, even though I turned off automatic updates in developer options, a download update came in for android 11 and even though I did NOT ask for a restart it restarted and now I am on unrooted 11. All my data seems intact.. However, so far I do not like the look of 11 on this phone, so I am asking, How do I go back to my rooted Android 10? Do I just repeat the original process using your boot image? Will I then lose all my data?? Before I decide to do anything, I need to know, because I don't want to lose my data and start all over with my customizations. Please help! Thanks!
Yes I realized this myself. I disabled Auto-Update but now I have a notification that says reboot to finish update - it obviously was installed nevertheless!

You can try and set the fastboot active slot to the other slot, it should then load the old /boot and /system partitions. But maybe some migration on data was done which could lead to invalid userdata, I don't know. Better do a backup before..

Or root A11 and modify the look until it fits your need :)

Reactions: kbs24

mingkee

You can regain root on R like I do.
Patch boot matched your build number and send it back to host computer.
The way to root on R is same as Q

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
Hi everyone.

I also got the notification for the update to Android 11, however I am hesitant to update to this new version. I'm hesitating because like some people here I don't have the time to make a backup and test and then hesitate to restore especially since I don't know how to proceed on recent Android versions (to make it simple the last time I was having fun doing that I was doing it on custom Android 6-7 ROMs with TWRP).

Another subject, if you wish I can upload the files on other hosts (just in case..) :)

Kreuger

Mar 17, 2011
Barrie
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Hey all. Restarted my phone today to find out it had updated from 10 to 11. I guess I hit allow by accident on the stupid pop up saying " your phone is 45 days out of date" ( can i disable that?). So anyways ive lost root and was unable to use the survival method. So do I just start fresh?

mixlex

Jul 16, 2011
Jeffersonville, in
Hi everyone.

I also got the notification for the update to Android 11, however I am hesitant to update to this new version. I'm hesitating because like some people here I don't have the time to make a backup and test and then hesitate to restore especially since I don't know how to proceed on recent Android versions (to make it simple the last time I was having fun doing that I was doing it on custom Android 6-7 ROMs with TWRP).

Another subject, if you wish I can upload the files on other hosts (just in case..) :)
I didn't lose anything except root by taking the update. Actually I didn't take it voluntarily. When I booted into recovery, the custom recovery was gone and when the phone rebooted, I had the update and lost root. I was sure I had set to not take automatic updates.

andreas__

Hey all. Restarted my phone today to find out it had updated from 10 to 11. I guess I hit allow by accident on the stupid pop up saying " your phone is 45 days out of date" ( can i disable that?). So anyways ive lost root and was unable to use the survival method. So do I just start fresh?

Apparently there is no way to get around the update, OnePlus forced it ignoring the users preferences in developer options. What a move.

To regain root after you booted into A11, just follow the steps im OP again, which means:
  1. boot into fastboot
  2. fastboot flash the correct patched file
  3. reboot

Reactions: Kreuger

ca5bah

Jun 22, 2013
Hi, I try to boot the patched kernel and get hit with:

Code:
Boot reason: init_user0 failed
Unable to parse kernel log. For more debug information,
adb pull /mnt/vendor/op2/rbr_log
or pull op2.img

100% verified as the correct kernel image from OP. This is what was happening originally as well, this time I remembered to grab the complete error message.

andreas__

Hi, I try to boot the patched kernel and get hit with:

Code:
Boot reason: init_user0 failed
Unable to parse kernel log. For more debug information,
adb pull /mnt/vendor/op2/rbr_log
or pull op2.img

100% verified as the correct kernel image from OP. This is what was happening originally as well, this time I remembered to grab the complete error message.
Weird, never had this happen. Quick google shows that it's not uncommon even on Stock devices. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...update-boot-reason-init_user0_failed.1364015/
There you can find a workaround (reboot from recovery)

Hope it works out that way. Disappointed by OnePlus again ..

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
I didn't lose anything except root by taking the update. Actually I didn't take it voluntarily. When I booted into recovery, the custom recovery was gone and when the phone rebooted, I had the update and lost root. I was sure I had set to not take automatic updates.
Ok, but so far i have always followed the same procedure which has worked every time in the same way.
So now, if I follow the same logic, would I still have access to the network?

The process update that i follow: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-n10-using-magisk.4197369/post-84321855

andreas__

Ok, but so far i have always followed the same procedure which has worked every time in the same way.
So now, if I follow the same logic, would I still have access to the network?

The process update that i follow: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-n10-using-magisk.4197369/post-84321855
Why do you think you lose network access? It doesn't matter if you manually install the same OTA file or the system does it automatically. In fact, the oxygen updater downloads the file from the exact same URL as the ota-updater and the one that I linked in OP.

So, if you want to update, just let in install and afterwards, before rebooting, follow OTA survival instructions beginning from step 4.

I did it this way, no data loss, no issues.

Last edited:

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
Why do you think you lose network access? It doesn't matter if you manually install the same OTA file or the system does it automatically. In fact, the oxygen updater downloads the file from the exact same URL as the ota-updater and the one that I linked in OP.

So, if you want to update, just let in install and afterwards, before rebooting, follow OTA survival instructions beginning from step 4.

I did it this way, no data loss, no issues.
I speack about the root access, not the network access (****ty translation), sorry.
EDIT: And if i want, how can we doing a downgrade?

Last edited:

andreas__

I speack about the root access, not the network access (****ty translation), sorry.
EDIT: And if i want, how can we doing a downgrade?
Ah okay I see. When you do OTA survival the root access is preserved.

Downgrading could be possible by switching the a/b slots back to the old one via fastboot but I'm not sure it is safe for userdata.

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
Ah okay I see. When you do OTA survival the root access is preserved.

Downgrading could be possible by switching the a/b slots back to the old one via fastboot but I'm not sure it is safe for userdata.
Hm hm ok, even i don't know why the old system would be backuped in the other a/b slot but why not..

I think i will wait for some user feedbacks before doing the update so.

andreas__

Top Liked Posts