• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

mingkee

Apparently there is no way to get around the update, OnePlus forced it ignoring the users preferences in developer options. What a move.

To regain root after you booted into A11, just follow the steps im OP again, which means:
  1. boot into fastboot
  2. fastboot flash the correct patched file
  3. reboot
The way I did was slightly different:

1. Download boot (or full ROM and extract boot) which matched built number
2. Copy to the phone and patch with Magisk, and copy patched boot back to host computer
3. Reboot to fastbootd (adb reboot fastboot)
4. Flash patched boot
Code:
fastboot flash boot
Press spacebar once, drag and drop patched boot into command window, and press enter
5. Reboot

kbs24

May 5, 2010
Yes I realized this myself. I disabled Auto-Update but now I have a notification that says reboot to finish update - it obviously was installed nevertheless!

You can try and set the fastboot active slot to the other slot, it should then load the old /boot and /system partitions. But maybe some migration on data was done which could lead to invalid userdata, I don't know. Better do a backup before..

Or root A11 and modify the look until it fits your need :)
How do I "set the fastboot active slot to the other slot"? I have used adb and fastboot many times but I have not run into that kind of thing so don't know where to start. ( I tried customizing 11 but still hate it, want badly to downgrade but not sure if it is possible, published methods did not work for me, i.e., did not allow installing a software package that is lower than currently installed version. 😒)

andreas__

How do I "set the fastboot active slot to the other slot"? I have used adb and fastboot many times but I have not run into that kind of thing so don't know where to start. ( I tried customizing 11 but still hate it, want badly to downgrade but not sure if it is possible, published methods did not work for me, i.e., did not allow installing a software package that is lower than currently installed version. 😒)

The second command must contain the currently *not* active partition slot
Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot --set-active=a

Note: I have not done this myself, in case of bootloop switch back to other slot.

EDIT:
Alternative: you can always flash OOS10 using the MSM tool, but you will lose data.

After downgrading you must find a way to stop downloading OTA again, e.g. block the download server via hosts file (there are probably some apps for it) or disable the updater app

Last edited:
Reactions: Rom and kbs24

kbs24

May 5, 2010

The second command must contain the currently *not* active partition slot
Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot --set-active=a

Note: I have not done this myself, in case of bootloop switch back to other slot.

EDIT:
Alternative: you can always flash OOS10 using the MSM tool, but you will lose data.

After downgrading you must find a way to stop downloading OTA again, e.g. block the download server via hosts file (there are probably some apps for it) or disable the updater app
Good things to try later today. If the downgrade succeeds I will have to re-root probably, then find that "updater app" and disable it via TBU (do you happen to know its system name?) or the name of the download server for the hosts file? Thank you.

Well I am stuck. I can't seem to enter fastboot anymore, because I have TWRP installed. But Twrp was able to tell me that the active partition was "A". So I tried asking it to reboot into "b" but it failed. Then I went to look into MSM tool, and cannot find the file to actually download it. Lots of discussions about it, but can't find a download file. Thinking of giving up but am not the type to give up so where to go from here......I don't know...... Oh, and twrp is stuck on "entered fastboot mode", but fastboot command on pc just answers "waiting for any device."

Last edited:

andreas__

Good things to try later today. If the downgrade succeeds I will have to re-root probably, then find that "updater app" and disable it via TBU (do you happen to know its system name?) or the name of the download server for the hosts file? Thank you.

If you had root permission before and did not explicitly revert it in magisk, it should still be there after rollback.

You can find the download server in OP (e.g. https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/package for GLO)
By blocking android.googleapis.com you might lose some other google functionality.
Apparently it redirects to redirector.gvt1.com therefore you could block that one instead.

The app "Service disabler" shows a few possibly relevant packages, but I don't know if disabling those apps is enough, you must try it out :)

Last edited:

andreas__

Well I am stuck. I can't seem to enter fastboot anymore, because I have TWRP installed. But Twrp was able to tell me that the active partition was "A". So I tried asking it to reboot into "b" but it failed. Then I went to look into MSM tool, and cannot find the file to actually download it. Lots of discussions about it, but can't find a download file. Thinking of giving up but am not the type to give up so where to go from here......I don't know...... Oh, and twrp is stuck on "entered fastboot mode", but fastboot command on pc just answers "waiting for any device."

Yeah, I am not sure if using TWRP is a good idea. Those are pretty experimental builds. Therefore i recommended using fastboot instead.

I do not understand the part about MSM tool, so if you want support, please be clear about what was installed before and what you are trying to do. If you are looking for the download link of MSM tool see the other threads in this forum:

Dec 6, 2015
Weird, never had this happen. Quick google shows that it's not uncommon even on Stock devices. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...update-boot-reason-init_user0_failed.1364015/
There you can find a workaround (reboot from recovery)

Hope it works out that way. Disappointed by OnePlus again ..
I'm a rooted 10 user who got updated to 11 on August 1 and lost root. This same issue is occurring for me when I "fastboot boot patched.img", using the patched 11.0.0.0.BE86AA provided, and also when I try to fastboot an image patched using the magisk app.

andreas__

I'm a rooted 10 user who got updated to 11 on August 1 and lost root. This same issue is occurring for me when I "fastboot boot patched.img", using the patched 11.0.0.0.BE86AA provided, and also when I try to fastboot an image patched using the magisk app.
I just checked the uploaded stock 11.be86 against the boot file that was backed up by the magisk app, and it's identical. The boot image is fine.

harryspar

Nov 28, 2011
I just had my phone update even though automatic updates are off, and I lost root AND SafetyNet!

😡

😡

I did not have Xposed installed, by the way. Just Magisk, renamed with Hide enabled.

Reaper Alpha

Aug 5, 2021
I was using the patched oxygen 11 boot with a successful root and my phone rebooted last night without warning and somehow lost root.
I'm guessing it was another rogue update! The version number is still the same 11.be86aa but now when I try to fastboot the flashed boot file it boots without root. WTF is oneplus pulling? Is this seriously me fing something up or is anyone else getting this issue?

Kingofkings2991

Jul 23, 2021
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I unlocked mine with the unlock app on my metro by tmobile phone. Didn't have to hit up oneplus for a unlock token either.
You mean as in you network unlocked? For me I unlocked the bootloader by turning off the internet completely then forward the date like 4 years, power off the device when turning it on keep internet off, the go back to date and but it one year back the the year it was on which it was 2021, so it should be on 2020 then bootloader wont be greyed out. It'll be greyed out when you put the date back to normal but it'll show it being on..

Kingofkings2991

Jul 23, 2021
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Did you unlock the bootloader?

Did you root your phone?
You mean as in you network unlocked? For me I unlocked the bootloader by turning off the internet completely then forward the date like 4 years, power off the device when turning it on keep internet off, the go back to date and but it one year back the the year it was on which it was 2021, so it should be on 2020 then bootloader wont be greyed out. It'll be greyed out when you put the date back to normal but it'll show it being on..

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006

I'm still not sure what you're saying.

Network unlock is when the SIM is unlocked, which is not the same as an unlocked bootloader.

What I asked was:

Does your MetroPCS N10 phone have an unlocked bootloader?

Is your MetroPCS N10 rooted?

I think you may not understand what it means to have an unlocked bootloader.

An unlocked bootloader is NOT accomplished by merely selecting the "OEM unlocking" in the settings.

Futtbucker34

Jul 22, 2021
Screenshot_20210805-213056.jpg

I waited the 6 months and used the unlock app on my metro phone and now developer options says my bootloader is unlocked but guess what? When I go to adb and fastboot it shows the phone as locked still . Is this why people are saying they need some passkey from OnePlus?

Top Liked Posts