• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
Hi

I just upgraded to Android 11 today, but i'm not happy with the new version.
I want to downgrade to the previous version of Android that was installed, so swapping boot slots (a/b).
Can anyone tell me exactly what commands to type?

Thanks.

andreas__

Hi

I just upgraded to Android 11 today, but i'm not happy with the new version.
I want to downgrade to the previous version of Android that was installed, so swapping boot slots (a/b).
Can anyone tell me exactly what commands to type?

Thanks.
See this thread

Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot --set-active=a

I'd advise you to do a backup before doing this

andreas__

Thanks, i already tried that but bastboot command resturn me "waiting for device", i don't understand why because i have do this via usb with adb and in termux, but same things in both situations.
you have to be in fastboot mode, not in ADB mode.

Do the following: adb reboot bootloader
and you'll be in fastboot mode

Then check with fastboot devices
if your device is available

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I really need some help.

I have two Metro N10s that are both SIM and bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk with TWRP.

The problem is they are both on 10.5.7 which is fine with me but I know despite my settings in Developer Options it will update to 11 which I DON'T want.

Can someone tell me a way that will prevent updates?

Thanks for any help.

andreas__

Reactions: GCPDetective

andreas__

I really need some help.

I have two Metro N10s that are both SIM and bootloader unlocked and rooted with Magisk with TWRP.

The problem is they are both on 10.5.7 which is fine with me but I know despite my settings in Developer Options it will update to 11 which I DON'T want.

Can someone tell me a way that will prevent updates?

Thanks for any help.
see https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/disable-auto-update-to-android11.4314235/

or https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-n10-using-magisk.4197369/post-85666129

using search might help sometimes

Last edited:
Reactions: andreas__

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006

I had read those posts in the past but was still unsure if the Metro phones would respond the same way.

I asked the question specifically about how to do it with a Metro phone hoping that someone would answer me with a clear understanding of how to prevent an update to 11 on a Metro phone.

By the way, I did use search but keep in mind that as an owner of a SIM and bootloader unlocked MetroPCS N10 any posts you read can often be both ambiguous and contradicting as far as if a given solution is applicable to the Metro variant or not.

Again, I was just trying to get a clear answer as to what would be the best way forward for a Metro device specifically. From what I gather once a Metro phone is on 11 there may be no way back if you brick it because OnePlus does not provide ROM images for the Metro phones.

I could be incorrect on this point but again it comes down to not being sure what avenues are available with a Metro phone if you get into trouble.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

andreas__

I had read those posts in the past but was still unsure if the Metro phones would respond the same way.

I asked the question specifically about how to do it with a Metro phone hoping that someone would answer me with a clear understanding of how to prevent an update to 11 on a Metro phone.

By the way, I did use search but keep in mind that as an owner of a SIM and bootloader unlocked MetroPCS N10 any posts you read can often be both ambiguous and contradicting as far as if a given solution is applicable to the Metro variant or not.

Again, I was just trying to get a clear answer as to what would be the best way forward for a Metro device specifically. From what I gather once a Metro phone is on 11 there may be no way back if you brick it because OnePlus does not provide ROM images for the Metro phones.

I could be incorrect on this point but again it comes down to not being sure what avenues are available with a Metro phone if you get into trouble.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Alright, my previous post was not intended to be disrespectful, sorry if it could be interpreted that way.

There is a way back in case of a bricked phone, just like with the unbranded N10 provided by @Some_Random_Username here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...l-to-restore-your-device-to-oxygenos.4245461/

Attachments

• boot_11.0.2.BE89BA.img.zip
    16.2 MB · Views: 22
@andreas__ Wondering if you'd be open to the idea of creating a separate category for Custom ROMs in the the first post. Custom ROMs like @kronflux Pixel Experience Plus aren't rooted by default. Might be a good idea to keep the patched boot images for that ROM centralized in here with the others so that they're easy to find in one place. Thanks!

Example:

Downloads for Custom ROM

Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...neplus-nord-n10-5g-unofficial-billie.4336827/

11.0-20211023-0336-UNOFFICIAL

Attachments

• boot.img
    96 MB · Views: 13
  • magisk_patched-23000.img
    96 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Rom and andreas__

andreas__

See attached for stock boot.img, MD5 of the img inside the zip is B594DDAB9D7256DC88F3F4945777AC86

Thank you once again, added to OP together with patched image.

@andreas__ Wondering if you'd be open to the idea of creating a separate category for Custom ROMs in the the first post. Custom ROMs like @kronflux Pixel Experience Plus aren't rooted by default. Might be a good idea to keep the patched boot images for that ROM centralized in here with the others so that they're easy to find in one place. Thanks!
Hi, first thank you for your improvement suggestions, very appreciated.
I think when a custom ROM is installed via recovery, then installing Magisk in recovery too is much more straightforward than handling boot images in fastboot, or are there issues I'm not aware of?

---

BTW: with 11.0.2 my device can pass SafetyNet again, without any additional module or scripts.

I think when a custom ROM is installed via recovery, then installing Magisk in recovery too is much more straightforward than handling boot images in fastboot, or are there issues I'm not aware of?
For me, it mostly because of update issues. I’m not sure if it just me but I ran into a bootloop whenever I tried updating Pixel Experience and already had Magisk sideloaded. I haven’t had that issue following your root guide.

Last edited:

andreas__

For me, it mostly because of update issues. I’m not sure if it just me but I ran into a bootloop whenever I tried updating Pixel Experience and already had Magisk sideloaded. I haven’t had that issue following your root guide.
Well okay, did not expect such issues. Apparently this is quite common and the boot image method is preferred. To keep it simple, collecting the images here is probably a good idea.

If you or somebody else posts images like you already did, I will add them to OP, but I will not support or patch them myself.
EDIT: updated OP, but I will not post the ROM link, people should go to the right thread for it, this one is just for rooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCPDetective
Well okay, did not expect such issues. Apparently this is quite common and the boot image method is preferred. To keep it simple, collecting the images here is probably a good idea.

If you or somebody else posts images like you already did, I will add them to OP, but I will not support or patch them myself.
EDIT: updated OP, but I will not post the ROM link, people should go to the right thread for it, this one is just for rooting.
Sounds good! Thanks for the link to the article btw.

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
It doesn't even surprise me that you had a bootlops with Pixel Experience when you update the ROM, that kind of ROM is ultra simplified but very inflexible.

Personally i'm ready to build custom ROMs like Resurection Remix, OmniROM, AOKP for example, but as cross-compilation methods are very poorly documented and it's a niche topic, i haven't had the time to research further yet.

Thank you once again, added to OP together with patched image.

---

BTW: with 11.0.2 my device can pass SafetyNet again, without any additional module or scripts.
I can confirm that this is a very good idea, because as he pointed out, very few if any of the users/devs who build custom ROMs will want to spend time producing rooted boot image files, and i'm sure they use other ways to root their devices or even don't use root access in everyday life.

myasus

Dec 29, 2007
Here are the boot images for Metro 11.0.2.BE88CF in case anyone is interested

Attachments

• boot.11.0.2.BE88CF.img.zip
    16.2 MB · Views: 66
  • magisk_patched-11.0.2.BE88CF.img.zip
    16.5 MB · Views: 90

Top Liked Posts