• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

WhittJS

Jun 3, 2021
I have been trying to do the OTA, but I think it is failing because I have TWRP Recovery installed. Does anyone know how to install the OTA? Thanks.

revengineer

Oct 4, 2009
The OTA update procedure in the OP did not work from me trying to upgrade from 10.5.12 to 10.5.14. This is an incremental update and the installation fails despite restoring the image in magisk before. Is this supposed to be working? Or does this work with full ROMs only?

revengineer

Oct 4, 2009
Have you installed TWRP?
No. I flashed full 10.5.12, then patched the boot image in magisk manager, flashed the magisk_patched image from my PC. Phone verified as rooted. Then I followed the OTA instructions in the OP and the OTA reported fail with option to try again. So something did not revert to stock correctly. Did I do anything else wrong in the sequence above?

TheArkive

Jan 18, 2011
Nexus 6
Huawei Nexus 6P
Thank you @andreas__ and @Some_Random_Username for compiling this link list. VERY helpful. I tried to find these links in the wild, on the OnePlus site, and all i could find was the latest version.

This will be very helpful indeed.

EDIT: If I make my own backups with dd, what are the main partitions to backup? I know the basics, but there seem to be many more partitions on this device than I'm used to. I'm coming from an OG pixel :sneaky:

Would it make any sense to back them all up?

I'm ready to do some hard core tinkering, but I'm still learning my way around this device and it's partitions.

Lastly, my device's product name is "LITO" in fastboot, but i also see "billie8" in getprop. Do I actually have the "billie" variant? Or is this slightly different? My model is BE2029.

Last edited:

xTalc

Mar 3, 2019
Can anyone help me with running the script? I have python installed from using it for scripts from GitHub using bash. I know my way around a Linux terminal but working with a coding langue shell is new.
I am having issues running the first line.
Edit - I cloned the repository and ran the extract.py script. It created at update meta data file. Is that all?

Last edited:

andreas__

The OTA update procedure in the OP did not work from me trying to upgrade from 10.5.12 to 10.5.14. This is an incremental update and the installation fails despite restoring the image in magisk before. Is this supposed to be working? Or does this work with full ROMs only?
Try this:

andreas__

Thank you @andreas__ and @Some_Random_Username for compiling this link list. VERY helpful. I tried to find these links in the wild, on the OnePlus site, and all i could find was the latest version.

This will be very helpful indeed.

EDIT: If I make my own backups with dd, what are the main partitions to backup? I know the basics, but there seem to be many more partitions on this device than I'm used to. I'm coming from an OG pixel :sneaky:

Would it make any sense to back them all up?

I'm ready to do some hard core tinkering, but I'm still learning my way around this device and it's partitions.

Lastly, my device's product name is "LITO" in fastboot, but i also see "billie8" in getprop. Do I actually have the "billie" variant? Or is this slightly different? My model is BE2029.
Here is a list of my partitions attached.
I suggest not backing up all of them - you can restore them via the OnePlus backup tool provided by @Some_Random_Username .

For tinkering I backed up modems and vendor but not sure what else could be helpful :)

Also lito is the Qualcomm board name - the same as for Nord. Billie8 is the actual device codename and BE202x are the regional variants

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-135827.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-135827.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

andreas__

Can anyone help me with running the script? I have python installed from using it for scripts from GitHub using bash. I know my way around a Linux terminal but working with a coding langue shell is new.
I am having issues running the first line.
Edit - I cloned the repository and ran the extract.py script. It created at update meta data file. Is that all?
What's the output log?
You must provide the needed arguments, see the GitHub instructions README

revengineer

Oct 4, 2009
Try this:
Thank you for the pointer. I still did not succeed. So I went as far as returning to stock and trying the ota and it still did not work. So this seems completely unrelated to magisk. I disabled all extra security features on my firewall and still no go. It it interesting that it did update automatically from 10.5.7 to 10.5.14 after I first power up the phone, even though automatic updates were disabled in developer mode. At this point I am so puzzled that I give up until OnePlus releases a full ota for 10.5.14.

TheArkive

Jan 18, 2011
Nexus 6
Huawei Nexus 6P
thanks @andreas__ , that looks like the same list i have.

I have downloaded all the stock ROMS and tools so I'm ready to do a "hard reset" if i have to.

Is there any developer docs from OnePlus explaning anything about the device? Heck if it's all in chinese, I'll do google translate work :p

I'm just hoping to get an idea for what each partition does.

I've also got Python setup and the script to extract the images is working nicely (even on windows :LOL:).

If there's anything I can start researching specifically please let me know. Otherwise I'm continuing to read, search, and see where my tinkering journey takes me.

EDIT: Given the cross-flashing issue, is there any known "region locking" in regards to using cell towers? (fingers crossed... hope not)

@revengineer

I did lots of reading to try and get my stuff working, and one of the main things I saw linux people confused about was trying to use multiple versions of Python (some portable even) and basically installing the protobuf lib to one distro of python while unintentionally running the script on another distro of python that does NOT have that lib installed.

That seemed to be the main issue confusing people. Here's the link i found.

As andreas__ said, please post your log/errors so people can help.

Reactions: andreas__

andreas__

thanks @andreas__ , that looks like the same list i have.

I have downloaded all the stock ROMS and tools so I'm ready to do a "hard reset" if i have to.

Is there any developer docs from OnePlus explaning anything about the device? Heck if it's all in chinese, I'll do google translate work :p

I'm just hoping to get an idea for what each partition does.

I've also got Python setup and the script to extract the images is working nicely (even on windows :LOL:).

If there's anything I can start researching specifically please let me know. Otherwise I'm continuing to read, search, and see where my tinkering journey takes me.

EDIT: Given the cross-flashing issue, is there any known "region locking" in regards to using cell towers? (fingers crossed... hope not)

@revengineer

I did lots of reading to try and get my stuff working, and one of the main things I saw linux people confused about was trying to use multiple versions of Python (some portable even) and basically installing the protobuf lib to one distro of python while unintentionally running the script on another distro of python that does NOT have that lib installed.

That seemed to be the main issue confusing people. Here's the link i found.

As andreas__ said, please post your log/errors so people can help.
The "core" partitions are described in official android docs, e.g. https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/partitions/system-as-root and https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement

For other partitions you might find hints in the kernel log (dmesg) and kernel drivers https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm6350 but some stuff is closed source and I'm not aware of that being leaked somewhere :)

Finally, check this out : https://github.com/Billaids/device_oneplus_billie/tree/eleven/rootdir/etc
Some Linux knowledge is surely helpful.

I've figured out how to cross flash using msm download tool. Just have to replace the project ID and identifying hash in the settings.xml located inside the .ops file

Doing this I was able to flash the global stock rom using MSM to the MetroPCS variant. However I'm starting to think it doesn't perform a full flash as my devices oem unlock bootloader toggle in developer options is still greyed out.

Was even able to flash a patched boot and patched recovery using MSM without carrier unlock or unlocked bootloader. BUT verified boot or something is preventing the device to boot up. It goes to "device is corrupt and cannot be trusted. Device will not boot"

just a little confused, i searched for my device
One plus nord n10 5g metro pcs.
i just wanted to root it.
is this the right thread?

Currently the only way to root on Metro is to get carrier unlock, then apply for an unlock.bin from Oneplus, THEN follow OP

Futtbucker34

Jul 22, 2021
My phone is on build number 11.BE88CF. IS it okay to flash any of these other roms? Or should I wait for someone to upload the android 11 build?

Also seems this phone seems dead there are no Roms that are being kept up and hardly any one updating the root. Is it safe to say this phone blows?

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
My phone is on build number 11.BE88CF. IS it okay to flash any of these other roms? Or should I wait for someone to upload the android 11 build?

Also seems this phone seems dead there are no Roms that are being kept up and hardly any one updating the root. Is it safe to say this phone blows?
No - OnePlus blows. They release too many models every year, so except for their expensive devices, the nords and others don't get many buyers or developers before they move on.

Top Liked Posts