Root N10 using Magisk

Search This thread

jahboi

Dec 2, 2022
Hello, I have a the metro version rooted and was trying to install the 11.0.8.BE88CF update. After I first got the message to update, I disabled automatic update in dev, then went to magisk, uninstalled - restore image - didn't reboot, then I tried to update via ota but now I'm getting an installation error. Is it safe to reinstall magisk and should I do it via direct installation or install magisk to inactive slot (even though I wasn't able to update). Or is there another way I can update? Thanks in advance and have a good one.

jahboi

Dec 2, 2022
Not sure how you can easily restore, but you shouldn't have uninstalled magisk.
I didn't restart the phone yet and magisk still works, I have a backup of the recovery via twrp from when I first rooted a couple months ago. I also have partition backup/restore installed (but not backed up yet). I used this root method, but I renamed magisk and flashed through twrp as suggested in the comments https://xdaforums.com/t/simple-method-root-n10-5g-using-magisk-for-factory-stock.4327659/

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
When I update stock, I don't uninstall it first - just update over it. Have not had any problems with stock. Note - only use full updates - never partial.

jahboi

Dec 2, 2022
I tried to update over it initially without uninstalling but I got the same installation error, so I thought this guide for uninstalling - restore image would work. So I'm guessing now I either need to wait for someone to upload a patched image. Or patch the image that was backed up from twrp using the method in the simple root method link. Or using the guide from this post to pull the ota url and patch the image. Or possibly re root this image using either install directly through magisk or install to inactive shot or reboot and install magisk again through twrp? I don't mind having to reinstall, since all my files are backed up, I'm mainly worried about some sort of soft brick since this is my only phone.

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
=
I tried to update over it initially without uninstalling but I got the same installation error, so I thought this guide for uninstalling - restore image would work. So I'm guessing now I either need to wait for someone to upload a patched image. Or patch the image that was backed up from twrp using the method in the simple root method link. Or using the guide from this post to pull the ota url and patch the image. Or possibly re root this image using either install directly through magisk or install to inactive shot or reboot and install magisk again through twrp? I don't mind having to reinstall, since all my files are backed up, I'm mainly worried about some sort of soft brick since this is my only phone.

If you flash the TWRP you lost stock recovery thus all future OTA will fail, regardless it's partial or full. Magisk only restore the boot partition wouldn't fix TWRP/recovery.

Don't flash TWRP if you want to use stock rom, especially for metro/tmo variants as full ROMs are hardly available....

If you have unlocked bootloader and get the unlock key file ready, you can start over from MSM to get back to stock metro ROM, upgrade to latest ROM. Then unlock the bootloader, follow my guide or use MSM readback mode to extract the stock boot.img, then root the phone.

Last edited:

andreas__

Hello, I have a the metro version rooted and was trying to install the 11.0.8.BE88CF update. After I first got the message to update, I disabled automatic update in dev, then went to magisk, uninstalled - restore image - didn't reboot, then I tried to update via ota but now I'm getting an installation error. Is it safe to reinstall magisk and should I do it via direct installation or install magisk to inactive slot (even though I wasn't able to update). Or is there another way I can update? Thanks in advance and have a good one.
Just reinstall using direct install to restore previous state. Like mentioned above, the update will fail if TWRP is flashed.

jahboi

Dec 2, 2022
=

If you flash the TWRP you lost stock recovery thus all future OTA will fail, regardless it's partial or full. Magisk only restore the boot partition wouldn't fix TWRP/recovery.

Don't flash TWRP if you want to use stock rom, especially for metro/tmo variants as full ROMs are hardly available....

If you have unlocked bootloader and get the unlock key file ready, you can start over from MSM to get back to stock metro ROM, upgrade to latest ROM. Then unlock the bootloader, follow my guide or use MSM readback mode to extract the stock boot.img, then root the phone.

Gotcha thanks, I got confused because the other guide said that method would survive ota updates. I have the key still, so after I do the other steps, I should use this thread's method to root the phone?

Just reinstall using direct install to restore previous state. Like mentioned above, the update will fail if TWRP is flashed.

That's good to hear thanks, I wanted to make sure I could get it to the previous state before I started messing with reinstalling then extracting/patching the boot.img. The other guide confused me because it said it would survive ota updates. Once I have my recovery fixed, I'll make sure not to install twrp this time.

andreas__

Can you please give me a place to download current Stock ROM's for the Nord 10 5G TMobile? I am struggling to find current stuff - and/or can I somehow back up what I have on the device?
I cannot support carrier locked ROMs because they do not provide ROM downloads and I don't have one.
However: you can follow the instructions How to get OxygenOS OTA url for new updates in OP.
This way you can provide download links to the community

Hi @andreas__ , below are the OTA servers download links of the following builds:

11.0.7.BE89BA: https://gauss-otacostmanual-sg.alla...7/13/68efe662-ee88-4a92-8090-5f1b1339cb79.zip (MD5 3fea8c03670b09f9c97b29a4e2620207 )

11.0.8.BE89BA: https://gauss-otacostmanual-sg.alla...9/14/556ae96c-c85d-4b55-a170-3efcdb97e6da.zip (MD5 cbc4f6c80c144ad5eca521079364e26d )

11.0.9.BE89BA: https://gauss-otacostmanual-sg.alla...1/07/b53340f1-3f37-431b-a008-a0ee23c96978.zip (MD5 20aa56532787fb057cf1766c490ae57a )

11.0.10.BE89BA: https://gauss-otacostmanual-sg.alla...2/26/b6ec09fc-5a3e-41cb-9570-909c8ecb50c4.zip (MD5 505713cbe85f0f2db1075f0bfb6c2316 )

Reactions: andreas__
Hi @andreas__ , OOS 11.0.11 is now available in the EU region with the January 2023 SPL, the full OTA is available at https://gauss-otacostmanual-sg.alla...2/07/81ed1335-4e1d-4e77-8839-af2200a40397.zip , its MD5 is 305db2a0b26b6e54575283a8ac5b8c73
photo_2023-02-17_12-20-20.jpg

Reactions: andreas__

andreas__

I have updated to GLO 11.0.11. During my OTA update, my device automatically rebooted.
Having lost the root access, I did the following to regain

1) booting the .10 rooted kernel with fastboot
- fastboot boot magisk_patched_BE86AA_11.0.10.img
- GUI and sdcard mount didn't work :( (.11 EU same)
2) use commandline to backup current boot partition
- dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/bugreports/boot_a.img
- why store in /bugreports ? sdcard wasn't not mounted properly and need non-su access to copy to host
3) adb pull /bugreports/boot_a.img
4) use other rooted device to patch boot_a.img
5) fastboot boot patched image
6) correctly install rooted image in magisk

Here are the EU and GLO boot images attached

Attachments

• boot_11.0.11.BE86AA.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 72
  • boot_11.0.11_BE89BA.zip
    16.6 MB · Views: 33
  • magisk_patched_11.0.11_BE86AA.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 78
  • magisk_patched_11.0.11_BE89BA.zip
    17 MB · Views: 33

Hybrid Divide

Dec 1, 2014
LG V20
Moto G Power
I have updated to GLO 11.0.11. During my OTA update, my device automatically rebooted.
Having lost the root access, I did the following to regain

1) booting the .10 rooted kernel with fastboot
- fastboot boot magisk_patched_BE86AA_11.0.10.img
- GUI and sdcard mount didn't work :( (.11 EU same)
2) use commandline to backup current boot partition
- dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/bugreports/boot_a.img
- why store in /bugreports ? sdcard wasn't not mounted properly and need non-su access to copy to host
3) adb pull /bugreports/boot_a.img
4) use other rooted device to patch boot_a.img
5) fastboot boot patched image
6) correctly install rooted image in magisk

Here are the EU and GLO boot images attached
THANK YOU! I just updated, myself, and the phone automatically rebooted. And I was stressing out because I couldn't find the boot image. Your timing is excellent!
Is there any way we can prevent the automatic reboot in future OTA updates?

Top Liked Posts