[ROOT] New Chromecast Root Method! (8/17/2014)

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
If you only plan on using the Teensy for this exploit, then there is no difference between the devices.
Thanks for confirming. Just ordered the basic one from PJRC. For UK people that works out at £15.68 delivered - nice to see a company providing the standard airmail option.

tibble89

Feb 6, 2013
Teensy++ 2.0
Price: £26.09
Sold by HiTechStoreGermany and Fulfilled by Amazon.

"HiTech Store" is an official re-seller in Germany so should be an original, even though seems slightly expensive.

*can't post link* :(

-

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player by Google
In stock on August 23, 2014

Is there a risk that if you wait for them to be in stock they'll be updated and not exploitable?

nappster

Dec 30, 2011
It`s nice to hear thats Chromecast can be rootet at new Firmware but what can my chromecast when its rootet ?

Have I any more support for DTS in MKV Files ? or What is my win when i rooted it ?

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Is there any advantage to having the 2++ device over the v2 for this project only?
Nope, for this root there is no advantage to using one over the other.

Also just for an update for those who are asking, when this is released there WILL be a source drop along with it, and for those more advanced out there it should be portable to most, if not all, devices that have low level USB access.

As for an ETA, I really hate to give them out but we are shooting for some time in the next few weeks. Note that because the source is being released, google will probably have this baby patched up within days of the actual drop.

Reactions: gdude

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
It`s nice to hear thats Chromecast can be rootet at new Firmware but what can my chromecast when its rootet ?

Have I any more support for DTS in MKV Files ? or What is my win when i rooted it ?
Control of the device...
Easier VPN/DNS bypass for region restriction...
Custom Whitelist support meaning more available apps.

No DTS support has to be built into the receiver app that plays the file...So far only app I know that supports that is Netflix.

.kaputnik.

Jan 12, 2012
Concerning the recommendation to update to build 16664; is it because there's nothing to exploit in earlier versions, or is it just that the current tools only will work with 16664 or higher?

I'm abroad right now, brought my CC just in case something like this was announced, wondering if I should update it via mobile broadband despite the heavy roaming fees, or take a gamble that a tool working with lower build numbers will be released later.

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Is there any advantage to having the 2++ device over the v2 for this project only?
Concerning the recommendation to update to build 16664; is it because there's nothing to exploit in earlier versions, or is it just that the current tools only will work with 16664 or higher?

I'm abroad right now, brought my CC just in case something like this was announced, wondering if I should update it via mobile broadband despite the heavy roaming fees, or take a gamble that a tool working with lower build numbers will be released later.
When the exploit releases, it will work in two scenarios:

New In Box Chromecasts (US devices verified, International to be tested soon)
Chromecasts on 16664 or higher (as all of these builds share the same bootloader)

.kaputnik.

Jan 12, 2012

Chromecasts on 16664 or higher (as all of these builds share the same bootloader)

Ah, I see. New in box as in any CC that has never been configured, or as in the ones you'd find in a store right now, with whatever build version they have?

Got a grey imported US one with build 12840, only booted it to query it for the build number :)

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Ah, I see. New in box as in any CC that has never been configured, or as in the ones you'd find in a store right now, with whatever build version they have?

Got a grey imported US one with build 12840, only booted it to query it for the build number :)
12840/12940 should be covered by the out of box firmware root :)

.kaputnik.

Jan 12, 2012
12840/12940 should be covered by the out of box firmware root :)
Great! Then I'll just wait until I get back home again. I'm a Swede in Russia, probably it would cost me more to download the update than I paid for the CC, so I'm more than happy to be able to wait :D

Many thanks for your prompt replies!

Nugstar

Feb 9, 2011
Fantastic news!

Teensy 2.0 ordered and on the way to Sydney!
Now time to disconnect my Chromecast...

Happy to help out other Sydneysiders looking to root once the exploit's been released.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007

Is it safe to say that the Video posted does not contain ALL the steps needed to root the device as I suspect some software must be loaded to the Teensy first for it to do it's Magic?
(not asking for details here the fewer the better until you make an actual release just trying to wrap my head around the Teensy since it's a new device to me.)

And just a fair warning to others who want to do this and/or are waiting for a Teensy to arrive...
If you already have the right version OS on CCast you really should Unplug it until you have achieved Root because Google Devs knowing the Teensy is part of the key to this might find some way to plug it up while we wait...
Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:

sbeanie

Oct 22, 2011
Is it safe to say that the Video posted does not contain ALL the steps needed to root the device as I suspect some software must be loaded to the Teensy first for it to do it's Magic?
(not asking for details here the fewer the better until you make an actual release just trying to wrap my head around the Teensy since it's a new device to me.)

And just a fair warning to others who want to do this and/or are waiting for a Teensy to arrive...
If you already have the right version OS on CCast you really should Unplug it until you have achieved Root because Google Devs knowing the Teensy is part of the key to this might find some way to plug it up while we wait...
Better safe than sorry!
From what I know about the Teensy, I would be very suprised if there was no programming of the Teensy involved.

Reactions: Asphyx

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Looking forward to the release! I guess now I can buy my second Chromecast. The 1st was rooted via the original firmware method, but I have been hesitant to buy a 2nd unit until now. Thanks!

tigger2014

Nov 23, 2012
London
Does anyone know a way of blocking OTA updates from the router as then i can still use my chrome cast whilst i wait, the url etc of the updates i need to block should be sufficient as i know my way around IPtables

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
From what I know about the Teensy, I would be very suprised if there was no programming of the Teensy involved.
Yep thats kind of what I thought...I have never really played with one but looking at their site seems like it might have some good entertainment value outside of this hack.
I suspect the release will have all the programming included to load into so it's still going to be snap.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Does anyone know a way of blocking OTA updates from the router as then i can still use my chrome cast whilst i wait, the url etc of the updates i need to block should be sufficient as i know my way around IPtables
No not really...If the device can see the internet to load the receiver apps (so it can be used) then it sees enough to update...
Best bet is to just unplug it until you have rooted it unless your fine with just buying a new one in box to root later...Considering the price it's not all that crazy of an idea.