[ROOT] New Chromecast Root Method! (8/17/2014)

Search This thread

Zenofex

Nov 16, 2010
Austin, Tx
Okay, I can totally understand this point. You could have written something like this before or contact a news site like androidpolice for a press release so it gains more attention.
I'm sorry that I was writing a bit rough. Anyway, I'd like to donate you something at the beginning of next month, but I didn't see any donate button from you guys yet. I'm a student, so don't expect more than 1-2 beer per person.

No worries at all, and I can't speak for the other groups involved but I wouldn't worry about donating to GTVHacker. We accept bitcoin donations but it's really not anything we try to promote. We also love getting free hardware for hacking but that's mostly just from friendly vendors or manufacturers.

Regarding why the tweet was worded the way it was. It's actually really hard to say much in 140 characters, particularly also while including the twitter handles of all the groups involved.

No hard feelings either way, just stating our viewpoint.

Thanks,
Zenofex
(GTVHacker)

X3r0X

Sep 29, 2007
finalgaming.de
Hey there,
great work!

Any chances to get it ported to an original teensy++? Many people have these ps3break or psgrove dongle with AT90USB162 laying around.

Greetz

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
thanks for this exploit... have a teensy2++ from the ps3 exploit and worked great.. i used a regular otg cable but with a generic usb y cable and it worked too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

zenitraM

Nov 18, 2010
I can confirm this works with a Teensylu (Teensy clone for 3D printers) using the 2++ hex \o/

Also, you only need direct USB for the Teensy. The USB drive can be plugged with a hub.

Reactions: mando41

Weimaranerblues

Aug 25, 2014
just picked one up from pc world (uk)

Can we only obtain a teensy 2/++ from USA or any uk sellers also where about can it get the usb otg in the uk.....

shame the AT90USB162 is not supported pre ps3 hacking days............

samteeee

I just received my Chromecast from Amazon. The Serial Number starts with 4107************,
I was just wondering if I should just wait for Teensy to be delivered or can I update the firmware
or should I just stay away from internet for now.

Thank you.

hairyleaf

Aug 19, 2014
I just received my Chromecast from Amazon. The Serial Number starts with 4107************,
I was just wondering if I should just wait for Teensy to be delivered or can I update the firmware
or should I just stay away from internet for now.

Thank you.

If any members get a UK purchased CC rooted can they post what the done and what hardware they used to achieve this. Ive tried 3 UK CC's so far without any success using Teensy 2++ and a powered OTG cable (Bought) and a home made one.

Thanks

Simonetti2011

Sep 3, 2010
Belo Horizonte
Hi there! is there any chance I can port the Teensy code to Arduino?
I have several Arduinos (including the Leonardo, Nano, Mino, Mega 3.0, Mega Google Edition and the Uno with a USB shield), but i don't have a Teensy. Since I am in Brazil, a Teensy is very hard to come by around here.

So, is there any chance the code can be ported to Arduino?

Thanks in advance.

az1324

Jul 18, 2010
I have several Arduinos (including the Leonardo, Nano, Mino, Mega 3.0, Mega Google Edition and the Uno with a USB shield), but i don't have a Teensy. Since I am in Brazil, a Teensy is very hard to come by around here.

Thanks in advance.

People are already using the existing hex on Leonardo.

CHILL399

Jul 3, 2010
London

Thanks in advance.

I managed to get it working with a cheap Arduino Leonardo mini pro clone from ebay (~£8), used the regular_16664.hex and loaded it on with a standalone utility called Arduino Builder, other than that followed the original process and it all went smoothly!

Reactions: Weimaranerblues

Weimaranerblues

Aug 25, 2014
I managed to get it working with a cheap Arduino Leonardo mini pro clone from ebay (~£8), used the regular_16664.hex and loaded it on with a standalone utility called Arduino Builder, other than that followed the original process and it all went smoothly!
only got a minimus here from ps3 days............

was going to say u got a link to the correct
item on ebay........but like me not enough posts...........can u pm me instead

regards

Weimaranerblues

Aug 25, 2014

board came today and cable.........loaded the regular hex and selected Leonardo as board
what do I do next on the builder

Last edited:

Weimaranerblues

Aug 25, 2014
all sorted now........had to install board drivers (arduino-1.0.5-r2-windows) as win8 didn't install them google for these as cant put a link up......once drivers are done used regular_16664.hex and loaded it on with a standalone utility called Arduino Builder and com3 .....red light stays on all the time on the board ....connect to chromecast and followed the rest of the tutorial....the Leonardo never flashed at all so was bit unsure what was going on ....the chromexast flashed red then back to white and only took a few minutes ....di this unconnected from tv so was surpised when it booted it up that it was rooted and

Srandista

Sep 19, 2010
Brno
It doesn't matter, what is your S/N. All it's matter, is build number. If it's 17797 or lower, you are good to go, if it's 19084, you can't root it.

Last edited:

Roy360

May 18, 2011
Is build number the same as firmware version?
Mine says Firmware Version: 26653, that's not the build number is it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA Users,

We’re happy to announce that fail0verflow, GTVHacker, and Team-Eureka have jointly discovered and exploited a new vulnerability in the Chromecast which allows root access on the current software build (17977) as well as new in box devices (proof). This is not a purely software-based exploit; to take advantage of it, you’ll need to have a Teensy++ 2.0 or a Teensy 2.0 development board as well as the powered USB OTG cable required to use FlashCast.

Although we’re not quite ready to release an exploit package yet, we’re giving you this information early so that you can acquire the needed hardware ahead of time, as we predict you won’t have much time to root your device before Google releases a patch. When we release the exploit package in the near future, we’ll post updates both to this board and to our Twitter feeds (below). Until then, we suggest that you let your device update to build 16664 or above and then disconnect it from the internet to prevent further updates.

Exploit Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2K72qNv1_Q

Twitter
    @fail0verflow
    @gtvhacker
    @Dev_Team_Eureka

Update: Root is out at http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893
    after watching the video, I'm kinda dissapointed that a nice fancy teensy 2.0++ is used but not a single pin is connected to anything. was looking forward to taking a soldering iron to the chromecast.

Don't let the video stop you, the video has the suggested method of installing the root - feel free to solder everything to everything else, I heard if you do it right you unlock a superroot.
    I would like to point out that fail0verflow and Team-Eureka put a large amount of time into getting this working properly, and in the end it will be incredible. Great work guys!
    Yes they have a vested interest in keeping the unit as locked down as possible because the content providers are scared to death of Piracy. If they think the device is not secure they could refuse to support the device which would limit it's usefulness (and sales) in the long run.

This is why I generally stay the heck away from the Netflix binaries on the Chromecast, I know better than to poke the bear ;)