[ROOT] New Chromecast Root Method! (8/17/2014)

Search This thread

jahfry

Sep 13, 2010
Wondering if these teams have investigated the new model? I have an original Chromecast, rooted without teensy since I got it from the first batch of original Chromecast. I haven't rooted on my 2015 yet hoping that it might be able to be, but I actually do have a need for it soon as my microwave kills my 2.4 wifi channels.

Not going to be a big deal if it isn't rooted, but doesn't hurt to check :)

sosw

Aug 18, 2014
Teensy alternative?

Can I use board like:

m.banggood.com/5V-16M-Pro-Mini-Microcontroller-Board-Improved-AtMega328P-328-p-91446.html

??

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Is it still possible to root any Chromecast? I have a couple of the original Chromecasts still.

No, and thats because nobody bothers with it, since its really not worth the effort. Think of the chromecast (original-type, not the new Android TV type) as just being an appliance for cast receiving. If you want a tiny wifi server on your network, you'd be much better off with (as much as I truly loath them) a pi-zero-w.

instantbits

Feb 7, 2018
www.instantbits.com
No, and thats because nobody bothers with it, since its really not worth the effort. Think of the chromecast (original-type, not the new Android TV type) as just being an appliance for cast receiving. If you want a tiny wifi server on your network, you'd be much better off with (as much as I truly loath them) a pi-zero-w.

Thanks for the info. I was more interested on it from a developer side to see if I could get some logs to understand some issues I'm having. The Chrome console just doesn't give enough info and only works for my own receiver.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the info. I was more interested on it from a developer side to see if I could get some logs to understand some issues I'm having. The Chrome console just doesn't give enough info and only works for my own receiver.

You might try picking up a used or leftover nexus player for that. Root by design and android is buildable from source (just not the CC/googly bits). I miss my nexus player, but lack of hardware HEVC is crippling in this age.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA Users,

We’re happy to announce that fail0verflow, GTVHacker, and Team-Eureka have jointly discovered and exploited a new vulnerability in the Chromecast which allows root access on the current software build (17977) as well as new in box devices (proof). This is not a purely software-based exploit; to take advantage of it, you’ll need to have a Teensy++ 2.0 or a Teensy 2.0 development board as well as the powered USB OTG cable required to use FlashCast.

Although we’re not quite ready to release an exploit package yet, we’re giving you this information early so that you can acquire the needed hardware ahead of time, as we predict you won’t have much time to root your device before Google releases a patch. When we release the exploit package in the near future, we’ll post updates both to this board and to our Twitter feeds (below). Until then, we suggest that you let your device update to build 16664 or above and then disconnect it from the internet to prevent further updates.

Exploit Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2K72qNv1_Q

Twitter
    @fail0verflow
    @gtvhacker
    @Dev_Team_Eureka

Update: Root is out at http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893
    after watching the video, I'm kinda dissapointed that a nice fancy teensy 2.0++ is used but not a single pin is connected to anything. was looking forward to taking a soldering iron to the chromecast.

Don't let the video stop you, the video has the suggested method of installing the root - feel free to solder everything to everything else, I heard if you do it right you unlock a superroot.
    I would like to point out that fail0verflow and Team-Eureka put a large amount of time into getting this working properly, and in the end it will be incredible. Great work guys!
    Yes they have a vested interest in keeping the unit as locked down as possible because the content providers are scared to death of Piracy. If they think the device is not secure they could refuse to support the device which would limit it's usefulness (and sales) in the long run.

This is why I generally stay the heck away from the Netflix binaries on the Chromecast, I know better than to poke the bear ;)