• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root new S4 mini model SGH-I257M

Search This thread

Lean416

Oct 5, 2013
Hey guys,

Just got the new Canadian model SGH-I257M and would like to know if there's any way to root this model? I have found the guides on here for GT-19195 and GT-19190, but can I use one of these guides for this model?

I really want to get a dualshock 3 controller setup but I need to be rooted.

Reactions: domdesforges

s0ftcorn

Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys,

Just got the new Canadian model SGH-I257M and would like to know if there's any way to root this model? I have found the guides on here for GT-19195 and GT-19190, but can I use one of these guides for this model?

I really want to get a dualshock 3 controller setup but I need to be rooted.

You sure that this is an S4 Mini? I cant find any info on it :/

s0ftcorn

Apr 25, 2011
Yep I'm sure. It just came out today exact same specs as the other models but has 16gb internal storage, no FM Radio transmitter. Haven't found any other differences

Does it have LTE?
But since the model number differs so much from the other S4 minis, i am not sure, if you can just use the "regular" Root-kit. Of course you can give it a go.

Last edited:

Lean416

Oct 5, 2013
Does it have LTE?
But since the model number differs so much from the other S4 minis, i am not sure, if you can just use the "regular" Root-kit. Of course you can give it a go.

Yes it has LTE

when you guys say root kit you mean "S4mini_RootKit_v1" right? what about the recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.7-serrano3gxx.tar file? is this file specific to GT-I9190?

Wait wait wait, so there's a _different_ variant of the S4 Mini?

Koodo (the Telus subsidiary) just got this phone in the other day and I was about to swap my slow-as-molasses Galaxy Ace 2x for the thing, but am a lot more hesitant if I can't load Cyanogenmod onto it.

The few links I've found on the the model SGH-I257M say that it may be a Bell phone, due to the M at the end... but the S4 Mini listed on the Bell site has the same specs as the GT-19195/0 LTE.

Do the telecoms really sell radically different versions of different phones under the same name?

EDIT: Just confirmed with Koodo that their model is indeed the SGH-I257M.

Last edited:

s0ftcorn

Apr 25, 2011
Yes it has LTE

when you guys say root kit you mean "S4mini_RootKit_v1" right? what about the recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.7-serrano3gxx.tar file? is this file specific to GT-I9190?

Yes, this "S4mini_RootKit_v1" is what we are talking about. But be warned, this may not work for you.

Wait wait wait, so there's a _different_ variant of the S4 Mini?

Koodo (the Telus subsidiary) just got this phone in the other day and I was about to swap my slow-as-molasses Galaxy Ace 2x for the thing, but am a lot more hesitant if I can't load Cyanogenmod onto it.

The few links I've found on the the model SGH-I257M say that it may be a Bell phone, due to the M at the end... but the S4 Mini listed on the Bell site has the same specs as the GT-19195/0 LTE.

Do the telecoms really sell radically different versions of the same phone and then sell them under the same name?

EDIT: Just confirmed with Koodo that their model is indeed the SGH-I257M.

Wouldnt it be illegal to sell it under a different name then it really is? Besides that, i only know of the Nexus devices, which are also split up into different carriers, but they've got the same hardware afaik.

PoseyBAH

Nov 1, 2010
Halifax
This is what I got... Someone please help. I need cyanogenmod!

Sent from my SGH-I257M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1381679146262.jpg
    1381679146262.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 882

PoseyBAH

Nov 1, 2010
Halifax
Yes it works with 9195 roms. I don't really like touchwiz and I find the battery life better on cm10.2 than stock.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gemor

Sep 4, 2009
I257M BELL... root... FM Radio, LTE?

Hello,

I've got Bell version of S4... I257M. What exact root method should I use? CWM?

Does I257M have FM Radio or not? It is sure not visible in apps menu. If I257M has same hardware (except 16GB of memory) as international version does it mean that FM Radio in Canadian version is not visible simply because Bell wanted customers to use Data plans + Internet radio + intentionally removed FM Radio app?

Can I flash [FIRMWARE][ROOT][ODIN] Prerooted FW SGSIV mini I9195 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2375527 and get FM Radio? Will LTE work, I am on Fido network?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Omega2513

May 5, 2011
Edmonton
Use the i9195, they work with the i257M. I257M doesnt have the radio hardware in so fm radio won't work and if you flash a I9195 rom, it will show the phone being a I9195 in the model number under Settings, and you will lose some features such as the smart gestures the the I257M comes with.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

gemor

Sep 4, 2009
Thank you for a quick reply, Omega2513. If there is no FM Radio hardware there is no point to flash I9195 rom as current stock rom suites me just fine. I just want to root + debloat + use apps that require root. What root + CWM version should I use?

Also, where can I get a stock Bell ROM for I257M in case I need to roll back to untouched stock rom? I can not find it anywhere.

Thank you!

Omega2513

May 5, 2011
Edmonton
The recovery and root I used was http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2364980 and it was easy to use, but any root for the I9195 will work. After rooting, you can go to ROM Mangers website and get the latest CWM from there. As for a stock Bell ROM, sadly I forgot to copy mine before I flashed so I don't know where one can be found. Since this is a newer model of the mini, it may be a while before someone uploads theirs

Reactions: igor45

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just rooted my S4 mini I257M as I257M !!!

Hi guys! I just make a fantastic discovery! First of all, french is my native language... ;)

I just rooted my s4 mini (I257m) using S4Mini_RootKit_v1.zip, recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.7-serranoltexx.tar.md5 and Odin3 v3.09.exe without using the unsecure kernel GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip as proposed by Arco68 in his procedure. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2364980

So, my s4 mini is still a I257M after the root cause I din't change the kernel. If I understand well, our kernel is not securised, as many tough!!! So, no need to remplace it by the insecure GT-I9195 Kernel. I am with Koodo, but maybe Bell, Roger, etc have the same kernel !?

Important note: I never updated my S4mini (I257MVLUAMI3) , so I don't know if it will work if you updated your S4 mini with the new I257MVLUAMK5 kernel...

No more I257M disguised as a GT-I9195 :good:

Redpulsar
    Our phone works with all 9195 roms

Sent from my GT-I9195 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Guys,

I've gone ahead and installed CWM recovery, did a factory reset of my device and then grabbed an image of that from my stock Rogers SGH-I257M.

Here is a link to that:

http://spyke555.irc2.org/SGH-I257M/

I then installed CM 10.2-M1 for the 9195 on my device and it worked fine. I can even confirm that the FM tuner works just fine as well!

Hope that helps!

Spyke555
    GUIDE!

Mick will be posting how i did this in just a bit!

It was VERY simple and with the help of arco i was able to root, flash and install CM11 with no problems at all :)

Hope i helped and ill pm you the post as soon as im done :)

Guide is up now!

Here is the link!

Enjoy your new rooted SGH-i257m! :)
    Question: Does the SGH-I257M have FM radio?