[Root] Newbie quick ONE-CLICK | Zenfone 2 root | ZE500 ZE550 ZE551 | Temporary CWM

Search This thread

Chinaphonearena

Dec 8, 2013
Recently released is the ONE-CLICK root and temporary custom CWM recovery for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML & ZE550ML & ZE500CL

Credit goes to the creator of the Zenfone 2 installer: @29y6145 Thread

and to the maker of the original Intel temporary CWM: @social-design-concepts Thread

Method 1: ONE-CLICK root

• Download the Asus Zenfone quick one-click root package
  • Unzip the package
  • Enable USB debugging (Settings > Phone info > Tap build 7x > Back button > Developer options > USB debugging)
  • If you don't already have ADB drivers installed, you may need to download and install them (most PCs have them already, but trying installing these if you're having trouble getting your PC to issue commands to the phone via USB)
  • With your phone on, attach it to PC via USB
  • Run 'Root_zenfone.bat'
  • To unroot, use 'xoa_root' or unroot through SuperSU in Android

Bam, done.
------------------------------
Method 2: Root through temporary CWM
This is a temporary CWM with the primary purpose of injecting SuperSU onto your Asus Zenfone 2. It doesn't permanently replace recovery. This process looks long, but really is bam 1,2,3 done. Just laid out step by step for the newbie.

• Download the Asus Zenfone temporary CWM package
  • Unzip the package
  • Copy SuperSU.zip to the base of your SD card
  • Enable USB debugging (Settings > Phone info > Tap build 7x > Back button > Developer options > USB debugging)
  • If you don't already have ADB drivers installed, you may need to download and install them (most PCs have them already, but trying installing these if you're having trouble getting your PC to issue commands to the phone via USB)
  • Run 'cai_dat_CWM.bat' from the CWM package
  • In the black command window that opens, type ACCEPT
  • Type T4
  • Phone will reboot into fastboot and you'll see commands being issued from the PC cmd window copying the temporary recovery
  • You may see some funked up images on your display for a bit. Remove the USB cable and within 30 seconds should then see it booted into CWM
  • Select install update
  • Navigate to SuperSU.zip and install

Bam, done.

Last edited:

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
Note, if you root and do OTA update after the root, you may end up in a boot loop/soft bricked. Unroot prior to OTA and reroot again after OTA may avoid this issue, but haven't tested yet.

If you update SuperSU binaries, yes you will bootloop on OTA.

You have two options to update:
1: Unroot > Take OTA > Root
2: Flash Pre-Rooted system.img > Keep root with no unroot needed

Reactions: Best401k

Chinaphonearena

Dec 8, 2013
If you update SuperSU binaries, yes you will bootloop on OTA.

You have two options to update:
1: Unroot > Take OTA > Root
2: Flash Pre-Rooted system.img > Keep root with no unroot needed

Even if using the latest SU binaries via this method and then OTA, will end up soft-bricked. The 2nd method can't update binaries. Need to stick with the binaries in the pre-rooted ROM. Either way (1. Unroot, OTA, reroot or 2. Pre-rooted ROM and never update SU) are both solid methods.

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
Even if using the latest SU binaries via this method and then OTA, will end up soft-bricked. The 2nd method can't update binaries. Need to stick with the binaries in the pre-rooted ROM. Either way (1. Unroot, OTA, reroot or 2. Pre-rooted ROM and never update SU) are both solid methods.

I have updated my SuperSU and flashed the Pre-Rooted over my current without any problem. No bootloop at all.

The simple method is just like all other devices. If you're rooted, don't take an OTA. Wait for a rooted build.

Chinaphonearena

Dec 8, 2013
I have updated my SuperSU and flashed the Pre-Rooted over my current without any problem. No bootloop at all.

The simple method is just like all other devices. If you're rooted, don't take an OTA. Wait for a rooted build.

You misunderstood, yes if you flash the entire pre-rooted system over it, you will be fine. I was referring to OTA.

Whats simple for some may be a chore for others. You download and flash 1gb to update. If that works best for you, by all means it's a fine way to go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently released is the ONE-CLICK root and temporary custom CWM recovery for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML & ZE550ML & ZE500CL

and to the maker of the original Intel temporary CWM: @social-design-concepts Thread

Method 1: ONE-CLICK root

• Download the Asus Zenfone quick one-click root package
    • Unzip the package
    • Run 'Root_zenfone.bat'
    • To unroot, use 'xoa_root' or unroot through SuperSU in Android

Bam, done.
    ------------------------------
    Method 2: Root through temporary CWM
    This is a temporary CWM with the primary purpose of injecting SuperSU onto your Asus Zenfone 2. It doesn't permanently replace recovery. This process looks long, but really is bam 1,2,3 done. Just laid out step by step for the newbie.

• Unzip the package
    • Type T4
    • Phone will reboot into fastboot and you'll see commands being issued from the PC cmd window copying the temporary recovery
    • You may see some funked up images on your display for a bit. Remove the USB cable and within 30 seconds should then see it booted into CWM
    • Select install update

Bam, done.
    Recently released is the custom CWM recovery for Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML & ZE550ML & ZE500CL

• Unzip the package
    • Type T4
    • Select install update

Bam, done.

I created a video showcasing this process. Maybe this will help someone? These instructions were pretty straightforward and easy to follow, but I know people like to see it for that extra level of comfort as well. Hope this helps.
    Easy, thanks!!!! :laugh:
    Thanks :) now can you tell me which system apps should i remove? to get more free ram

I need to reflash stock and come up with a list. I have uninstalled a few of the ASUS apps, and just about all of the third-party stuff.

I can work on that in the morning. I have family visiting, so I'm pretty busy this weekend. Spent the day at the zoo today :victory:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone