Root Nextbook Ares 8, TWRP Recovery, Disable encryption

Search This thread

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
I just got one for my son and his has some crazy touch issue. On mine craft it's like you push on multiple places on the screen at once. Downloaded a multi touch test application and it shows that periodically there are more touches registering than what you are actually touching. I was planning to use this to root but may have to return it! Did some research and seems to be a common problem!https://youtu.be/5FaLm4qrDkA it seems like the problem exist only while on charge.

Last edited:

jayshocka

Apr 11, 2011
peoria, az
Don't know if this helps but there is a setting somewhere. I don't have mine handy to check where... you can lower the sensitivity of the touch screen I had the same issue. Working much better now

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Reactions: msd24200

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
Thanks I'll look!
I'm not having any luck finding that setting, may have to root to do this? I'm assuming you've already rooted?

Last edited:

freddy999

Nov 21, 2010
I just got one for my son and his has some crazy touch issue. On mine craft it's like you push on multiple places on the screen at once. Downloaded a multi touch test application and it shows that periodically there are more touches registering than what you are actually touching. I was planning to use this to root but may have to return it! Did some research and seems to be a common problem!https://youtu.be/5FaLm4qrDkA it seems like the problem exist only while on charge.

I had the identical problem, put a meter on the charger and found a bit of ac leaking out of it (about 0.5 volt). I changed chargers, no issue. In my case it was a defective charger not the tablet. Since I have run it on 5 or six different chargers with no issue at all. It only showed up under load so a simple test may not be enough to see the issue. My guess is it is a cheap charger and the device over demands its ability to supply smooth DC.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Oh, and if you invoke the developer options you can see the touches and the trails to be sure you have the issue under control.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

See my post to msd24200, try a different charger!

Reactions: msd24200

adam.nox

Dec 15, 2014
can someone answer, (hopefully tonight), will this work on the verizon LTE version?

And do all these commands work via adb in windows?

Can the files be pushed to device storage rather than sd card?

Last edited:

macawmatt

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks to vampirefo for the work on this. Needed an inexpensive tablet for a project and had considered getting a new Fire 7" but I'm happy with this straight Android tablet over trying to keep Google apps working on the Fire.

Linux newbie here and used this as an excuse to go ahead and dualboot my notebook. Had to regress back to my Windows install though to get it installed, but now I've got Ubuntu installed as well.

Looks like this tablet has the deep sleep bug, unless someone has some suggestions, it'll be going back and I'll try another one.

Last edited:

lllboredlll

Retired Recognized Developer
DIDN'T SEE THIS ANYWHERE SO THOUGHT I WOULD POST FOR WINDOWS USERS

1. ENSURE USB DEBUGGING IS ENABLED
2. ENSURE PROPER DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED. I HAD TO USE PDA.NET DRIVERS
3. ENSURE ADB IS INSTALLED EITHER LOCALLY OR GLOBALLY
4. DOWNLOAD THE NXA8QC116 ROOT KIT AND EXTRACT IT
5. COPY SUPERSU246.ZIP TO SD CARD

CODE:
1. adb reboot bootloader (wait for the device to reboot to the bootloader then proceed)
2. fastboot flash recovery twrp_recovery.img (wait for success message then proceed)
3. fastboot reboot (wait for system to reboot and unlock splash screen)
4. adb reboot recovery (wait until booted into twrp recovery then proceed)
5. install SuperSU246.zip (wipe dalvik after installation is complete then reboot)(once rebooted, unlock splash screen then proceed)
6. adb reboot bootloader (wait for the device to reboot to the bootloader then proceed)
7. fastboot flash boot boot.img (wait for success message then proceed)
8. fastboot reboot
9. profit

Last edited:

macawmatt

Jul 28, 2010
So, something with the update process seems to be borking the tablets I have been picking up. Got my second tablet last night and I charged it, and tested it for the sleep issue. Let it sit for over an hour and it was able to come out of the deep sleep issue. I flashed the TWRP recovery and then let it boot back into the OS and tested again, and it was fine. I wasn't able to do more with it last night so I left it there in the process. This morning, its still fine, I get to work, flash encryption removal and SU, reboot into the OS, then flash the boot.img. Now after doing those things, it appears that the deep sleep bug has appeared. I used the TWRP and boot.img from the boot_recovery_ares8.zip file posted on the 30th of June.

Antutu scores before flashing this morning were 30,000+, now they are running under 14000 after the tablet sits and has the chance to sleep.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So, kept messing with the tablet more this morning (what's work right?) and it looks like it might be something to do with the governor settings. With the first tablet I thought I tried the ondemand setting but I know I didn't change to noop. Have it set to ondemand and noop through No Frill CPU Control as so far it seems like its cooperating. Had it sitting here for 10 minutes and just ran another Antutu and the score is staying up like it should. I'll let it sit through lunch and check it again in an hour. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

freddy999

Nov 21, 2010
So, something with the update process seems to be borking the tablets I have been picking up. Got my second tablet last night and I charged it, and tested it for the sleep issue. Let it sit for over an hour and it was able to come out of the deep sleep issue. I flashed the TWRP recovery and then let it boot back into the OS and tested again, and it was fine. I wasn't able to do more with it last night so I left it there in the process. This morning, its still fine, I get to work, flash encryption removal and SU, reboot into the OS, then flash the boot.img. Now after doing those things, it appears that the deep sleep bug has appeared. I used the TWRP and boot.img from the boot_recovery_ares8.zip file posted on the 30th of June.

Antutu scores before flashing this morning were 30,000+, now they are running under 14000 after the tablet sits and has the chance to sleep.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So, kept messing with the tablet more this morning (what's work right?) and it looks like it might be something to do with the governor settings. With the first tablet I thought I tried the ondemand setting but I know I didn't change to noop. Have it set to ondemand and noop through No Frill CPU Control as so far it seems like its cooperating. Had it sitting here for 10 minutes and just ran another Antutu and the score is staying up like it should. I'll let it sit through lunch and check it again in an hour. Fingers crossed.

I have been using this tablet daily for some time now and have not rebooting in weeks. No Frills is set at ondemand/noop and I remember until I set noop I had lag issues. I have had no issues any more since the change and the Antutu scores come back in the 28,000 to 31,000 range. I did have a minor display issue that is common under lollypop and is resolved by simply invoking developer's options and checking "Disable HW Overlays". You might also install "CPU Spy Reloaded" and see if your processor speed is acting correctly.

macawmatt

Jul 28, 2010
I have been using this tablet daily for some time now and have not rebooting in weeks. No Frills is set at ondemand/noop and I remember until I set noop I had lag issues. I have had no issues any more since the change and the Antutu scores come back in the 28,000 to 31,000 range. I did have a minor display issue that is common under lollypop and is resolved by simply invoking developer's options and checking "Disable HW Overlays". You might also install "CPU Spy Reloaded" and see if your processor speed is acting correctly.

I think that noop setting is the key and is absolutely required. Haven't tried setting it back to cfq, but I am almost certain now that my issues would come back after I would do that. Seems like a very snappy tablet, especially when you consider the price tag.

freddy999

Nov 21, 2010
I think that noop setting is the key and is absolutely required. Haven't tried setting it back to cfq, but I am almost certain now that my issues would come back after I would do that. Seems like a very snappy tablet, especially when you consider the price tag.

I have been totally pleased, My wife has a galaxy 4 10" and my daughter a galaxy 4 7". This thing runs circles around both of them. I do wish someone would work on a bit more custom ROM but I also have found after I gutted the google stuff out of the stock ROM it was at least competently done. It is fast and seems to have more than enough memory to deal with the needs of even the most demanding user. For $78 it is one of the best electronic purchases I have made.

Longstreet

Jul 22, 2010
Bells, TX
Well, I'm halfway there, more or less. I got TWRP installed but can't get the device to read the external sd card, so can't install the remove_encryption and supersu zips. Someone mentioned switching SD cards. The one I have is a SanDisk Ultra, so it ought to be good, but when I get home I'll try another one to see if it'll read.

EDIT: Tried an out of the package Toshiba, TWRP read it. Rooted and running. ???

Last edited:

S5Sickness

May 1, 2015
Garland, TX
I'm sorry but these steps are confusing.. I got all the files on my sd card but when i boot to bootloader and install or try to install the files you say to it just aborts the install... do you have a step by step guide i'm on windows 10 and been messing with this for hours...

i get e: footer is wrong and e: signature verification failed

S5Sickness

May 1, 2015
Garland, TX
DO NOT FORMAT SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is faster method to root, flash TWRP to tablet, and remove encryption.

This method is being posted cause some users are formatting system partition, which is bad you can't boot without a system partition, even though I never told anyone to format system partition, some people are still doing it, why? I have no clue.

download extract, place remove_encryption.zip, SuperSU246.zip on micro-sdcard.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758954

reboot to bootloader

install twrp permanently

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Code:
sudo ./fastboot flash recovery ./twrp_recovery.img

while in bootloader mode, press volume down until recovey mode is diplayed, press power.

In TWRP recovery install remove_encryption.zip, SuperSU246.zip, once completed reboot.

how do i install twrp? running windows 10 ares 8 5.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note this thread is for Ares 8 5.0, Ares has released 5.1, this thread is not for 5.1, or any future versions, it's only for android 5.0.

This is a guide to root Nextbook Ares 8, disable encryption, and flash permanent TWRP recovery to device.
    Walmart is selling the Nextbook Ares 8 for $78.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-Ares-8-Tablet-16GB-Quad-Core/43267399

This is a great price for a 8" quad core, intel tablet, bootloader is unlocked, tablet has a lot of potential, priced right and comes with lollipop. Tablet comes encrypted that can be turned off, all data will be lost, so it will be a new setup without encryption.

This zip contains, tethered twrp recovery, permanent twrp recovery, boot.img and SuperSU246.zip

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758712

To root via tethered twrp recovery this is for Linux OS

extract NXA8QC116_root_kit.zip

place SuperSU246.zip on your sdcard.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    sudo ./trigger 4

to install twrp permanently

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:

to disable encryption
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

in stock recovery

format /data and /cache, reboot to bootloader

Code:
    sudo ./fastboot flash boot ./boot.img

reboot

Credits

@vampirefo
    Linux Fastboot Binary, intel compatible cwm recovery.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/dell...overy-t2866925

@Chainfire
    super user package update-supersu-vxxx.zip
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

@social-design-concepts
    recovery.launcher, recovery.envsetup, recovery.trigger, triggers and for sharing his work.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...p-cwm-t2975096
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2681783

TeamWin for their great recovery
    https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/tree/android-5.1

@quanganh2627
    Patch files for libpixelflinger to support x86 build
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/97125/

@TheSSJ
    symbolic link in recovery mode

@social-design-concepts
    suggesting using different adbd

Key combo to get into bootloader or recovery via hard keys.
    power off
    volume up + power = recovery
    volume down + power = bootloader
    from bootloader you have several choices to boot, just pres volume down to choose, power to select.

Below are the latest TWRP recovery and boot.img files
    Twrp, has been upgraded to 2.8.7.0
    adb root now works in twrp.

boot.img, adbd has been changed
    adb is also root, so commands like adb remount works.

to flash these files
    adb reboot bootloader or use hard keys or an app to get you into bootloader

fastboot flash recovery twrp_recovery.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347766997

TWRP 3.0.2-0
    Added ability to backup system as system.img
    TWRP 3.0.2-0 is out now for all currently supported devices.

What’s new in 3.0.2-0:
    Fix a bug with the input box that affected masked inputs (passwords). This fixes decrypt of full device encryption on devices that support decrypt. This bug also impacts encrypted backups. Users are highly encouraged to stop using 3.0.1 if you use encrypted backups or if you need decrypt of data in TWRP.
    Add Greek translation to some builds

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24499762636001674

This is faster method to root, flash TWRP to tablet, and remove encryption.

This method is being posted cause some users are formatting system partition, which is bad you can't boot without a system partition, even though I never told anyone to format system partition, some people are still doing it, why? I have no clue.

download extract, place remove_encryption.zip, SuperSU246.zip on micro-sdcard.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347758954

reboot to bootloader

install twrp permanently

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:

while in bootloader mode, press volume down until recovey mode is diplayed, press power.

In TWRP recovery install remove_encryption.zip, SuperSU246.zip, once completed reboot.

I am going to stop sharing my work on this tablet, people seem to be very unappreciated, they can't even click the thank you tab.

I no longer want to help such rude people. There will be no future updates.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C using Tapatalk
    Updated TWRP recovery to 2.8.7.0 and added different adbd to boot.img
    They are at the end of First Post.
    How difficult would it be to tweak this procedure to work for the Ares 7?

I just got an Ares 7 and would like to do the same to it.

I know it has a different processor, and it is running 4.4.2 KitKat rather than 5.0 Lollipop, but I hope the framework would be similar.

Guess I will have to learn how to start modding Android myself.

I don't know anything about ares 7, I don't see how this would work on your device if it's not x86.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Free mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone