[Root] NookManager - graphical rooter for 1.2.x and beyond

Search This thread

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Here is a link to version 0.9 of Win32DiskImager...
I have no real objections to this utility except that the download is 5.4 Megs and that's a zip file even!

I have my own utility for burning SD cards.
It weighs in at 74,752 bytes. (In signature)
Code:
C:\>sdcard /?
SD Card Utility Copyright (c) Temblast 2015-2018
usage: sdcard flags sdletter imagefile
/r  read from SD card
/w  write to SD card
/z  zero (erase) SD card
/v  verify SD card
/y  don't ask for confirmation

C:\>sdcard /w /v G myimage

FalkoniLondon

Jan 27, 2021
Some of these steps depend on how you think you'll use your device after rooting. I'm going on the conservative side to keep the instructions "simple". I strongly recommend updating to 1.2.2 before rooting. If you don't you will get error messages any time you use Wi-Fi. Everything that worked on 1.2.1 can be made to work on 1.2.2.

1. Prepare NookManager card

Follow instructions in the first post of this thread. Download the image file to your PC. You will need a disk imaging tool to burn the image to an SDcard. Here is a link to version 0.9 of Win32DiskImager: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wi...hive/win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip/download. Unzip. Newer versions are more complicated. It has been said that best results are obtained when you run the disk imaging program as an administrator (right-click, "run as administrator"). If you are successful in burning the image you should see the directory contents for the SDcard under Windows Explorer as listed in post #531 above.

2. Update/customize NookManager

NookManager needs to be updated to work with FW 1.2.2. Follow the directions in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/nst-g-updating-nookmanager.3873048/. At a minimum you need to perform the steps listed in the first section "Updating for FW 1.2.2". Read through the rest after that and decide if any of those things might be helpful based on what you think you'd like to do. If you do nothing, the original contents of NookManager will be installed including the dead Amazon App Store app and a very old version of ReLaunch. Of course once you are at that point you can always just uninstall and install whatever you want, so it may not matter to you.

3. Download the FW 1.2.2 update from B&N: https://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.2.2/351e26527e80156183e74be2da2ce89f/nook_1_2_update.zip

4. Factory re-image

Also sometimes called a "hard reset", this returns your device to its condition when it was shipped out from the factory. This is good for devices that have been tinkered with in the past but is also not a bad idea before an update and is required to update a device that has been rooted. The good news is that NookManager can be used to trigger this process rather than trying to achieve the 8-failed-boot-attempts.

Power down your device and insert the updated NookManager card. Power up and wait for the program to initialize. Select "continue without wireless" (right lower hardware button). The Main Menu screen shows the current FW version at the top. Select "Rescue" (upper left hardware button). On the next screen select "Restore factory .zip" (lower right hardware button) and follow the screen directions. When the device reboots leave it at the "welcome" screen and attach it to your PC with the USB cable.

5. Update to FW 1.2.2

When you attach your device to your PC via USB you should be able to see the "Nook" drive in Windows Explorer. Drag the 1.2.2 update zip to the Nook drive and let the device (still on the "welcome" screen) sit. It will eventually sleep and during that time the update will install. If you come back to check on it and you are not sure if the update occurred, look at the Nook drive. You should not see the update zip file that you dragged over. Once that is done, continue with and complete the setup and registration process.

6. Root with NookManager

Power down the device. Insert the updated NookManager card and power up. Skip wireless. On the Main Menu screen it should now show FW 1.2.2. To root, select "Root" (upper right hardware button) watching for any error messages in case you made a mistake in updating/customizing the card, and then return to the Main Menu and Exit (lower left hardware button), following the screen prompts.

That is it!
So, I’ve attempted this procedure five times, On two different PCs and several re-downloads.
I believe I’ve followed the instructions religiously, but I always fail at stage 5. The Nook file on the PC continues to show the update zip file even 24 hours later, and when I inevitably do another hard reset, it shows at the beginning of the process that the FW was 1.2.1
I feel so bad for taking so much of your time that I think I might give up, unless there is something obvious that I’m doing wrong.

Attachments

• 099487CB-1DC5-471F-8C50-F8634A57F617.jpeg
    099487CB-1DC5-471F-8C50-F8634A57F617.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 1DBB3C5E-1B4A-44DD-80A2-38C4907F83C8.jpeg
    1DBB3C5E-1B4A-44DD-80A2-38C4907F83C8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
So, I’ve attempted this procedure five times, On two different PCs and several re-downloads.
I believe I’ve followed the instructions religiously, but I always fail at stage 5. The Nook file on the PC continues to show the update zip file even 24 hours later, and when I inevitably do another hard reset, it shows at the beginning of the process that the FW was 1.2.1
I feel so bad for taking so much of your time that I think I might give up, unless there is something obvious that I’m doing wrong.
I asked this question earlier but got no response so I just assumed the answer was "no". I'll ask again. Are you outside the US and/or did the devices come from outside the US?

Renate

If the update.zip isn't being consumed then maybe there is a conflict with the current UK stuff.
@nmyshkin should they be doing the manual update?
Code:
adb shell /data/local/tmp/update-binary 2 stdout /sdcard/update.zip
Edit: Sheesh, you can't chmod 755 something in /sdcard

Last edited:

FalkoniLondon

Jan 27, 2021
Maybe. That's why asked the first time. Julie London was a domestic product, however.

Hi guys,
Many apologies. For some reason I received non of these on my Android phone.
I just noticed the last message while working on my Mac, so I went back to my phone and looked at my phone's email, choosing all mail and your messages are still not showing. neither are they in my spam or deleted folders.
Even weirder, only when I search xda, does the last message show up. (claiming to be in my inbox) But when I go to all mail, it is not there.
OK. Found you now in promotions.
Really really sorry. I wasn't ignoring you. Feeling very embarrassed.

So, to answer the question:
I live in the UK and bought my Nook in the UK. Not sure from your exchange if it is a good thing.
I promise I will check my emails regularly now on the Mac.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi guys,
Many apologies. For some reason I received non of these on my Android phone.
I just noticed the last message while working on my Mac, so I went back to my phone and looked at my phone's email, choosing all mail and your messages are still not showing. neither are they in my spam or deleted folders.
Even weirder, only when I search xda, does the last message show up. (claiming to be in my inbox) But when I go to all mail, it is not there.
Yeah, the email notification system is not working since the forum reboot. I got a couple of emails awhile back, but generally, nada.

OK, so now we have the necessary information. UK ROMs cannot be updated. The last UK update was version 1.2.1 which now cannot connect to the US-based servers. However, it is possible to flash a US 1.2.1 system on your device. Then you can update to 1.2.2, etc. Two minor drawbacks, both of which can be addressed later: 1. the US ROM lacks the ability to change the Locale. The setting is still there but it only shows the US as an option, so British English spelling variants (e.g. color vs. colour) will not be used in the system menus and displays, and 2. you will probably lose the Oxford Dictionary and get a US-English dictionary. As I say, both of these issues can be fixed when all the electron dust has settled.

To get going, the last sentence of Step 4 of post #539 should now read:

4. .... When the device reboots leave it at the "welcome" screen and power down.

4.5 Go to https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion and follow the directions there to create an sdcard (you have two, right?--and you can reclaim this one after you've fixed both devices) and make the ROM change. You can skip his step 4 since you've done a reset already. When you are done and the device has rebooted and is at the "welcome" screen, you can then connect via USB to your PC and proceed with step 5 in the sequence I gave in post #539.

Before you leave that site, go down to the very bottom of the page and download the UK ROM zip. Later, you can extract the Oxford Dictionary from it and I'll guide you in replacing the US-English dictionary (if you want).

Don't give up. I know it's frustrating but communication in this form is often imprecise and it sometimes takes time to get on the same wavelength. Once you get past this, things will be a lot easier and you'll have a device that is stable and uncomplaining. Then you can customize it according to your needs. And the second one will be easier :)

FalkoniLondon

Jan 27, 2021
Indeed, but Julie London was a noted torch-song singer (famous for "Cry me a River", among others). Probably before your time :)

And Michael London, the actor from little house in the Prairie. (oy. really shows my age)
I'm afraid mine is far less poetic. it is just a geographical location. London UK.
Thanks again for all your support and perseverance. I will attempt it tomorrow, when hopefully more brain activity will mean an enhanced probability of success.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
And Michael London, the actor from little house in the Prairie. (oy. really shows my age)
I'm afraid mine is far less poetic. it is just a geographical location. London UK.
Thanks again for all your support and perseverance. I will attempt it tomorrow, when hopefully more brain activity will mean an enhanced probability of success.
Oops....Michael Landon. But close.

FalkoniLondon

Jan 27, 2021
Oops....Michael Landon. But close.
Ooops. I guess my growing up in Israel shows up in my sketchy perception of vowels.
So, I had a pig of a time trying to format my other SD card using 2 very elderly windows PCs. Both insisted that it was write protected and refused to format it. I looked at tutorials on how to bypass it, but when I tried to follow them my computers went all weird on me.
I gave up and formatted my Nook Manager SD card and managed to burn the region change onto it.
I loaded it and followed the instructions religiously (as much as an atheist can) and it seemed to have worked.
However, before getting to stage 5 - updating the FW to 1.2.2, right at the last stage of step 4.5, the Nook stopped. It has been displaying the attached picture for the past 24 hours.
Does this mean the region change has failed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Ooops. I guess my growing up in Israel shows up in my sketchy perception of vowels.
So, I had a pig of a time trying to format my other SD card using 2 very elderly windows PCs. Both insisted that it was write protected and refused to format it. I looked at tutorials on how to bypass it, but when I tried to follow them my computers went all weird on me.
I gave up and formatted my Nook Manager SD card and managed to burn the region change onto it.
I loaded it and followed the instructions religiously (as much as an atheist can) and it seemed to have worked.
However, before getting to stage 5 - updating the FW to 1.2.2, right at the last stage of step 4.5, the Nook stopped. It has been displaying the attached picture for the past 24 hours.
Does this mean the region change has failed?
Maybe? I've never done it before. I heard reports from others who have, so I know it can work. My advice would be to force shutdown using the power button and then try powering up again. Maybe it will feel better the second time around.

If that fails, you may need to remake the card. For formatting, you might try the little utility SDFormatter. There are versions for both Windows and Mac. Also, if you have previously tried to image an SD card with NookManager, the card is partitioned and you might need to merge those partitions before using it for something else. That could be the issue, although I would think that writing an image overrides everything. Formatting is trickier and Windows especially can generally only see the primary partition on a card.

Last edited:

hawsey

Mar 26, 2009
I've just bought a brand new NST for £15 in the UK in Settings it says it's a BNRVR300 on Software version 1.2.1 , am I good to follow this thread for rooting and getting APKs to run on my new toy ?
Thanks in advance 👍

SJT75

Sep 19, 2020
Belgrade
Does anyone can give me an answer which file type is actually used for creating an backup image of device using Nook Manager before/after compression? Is it .img or .nrg or something else?

Renate

The name doesn't really matter.
.img is often used for kernels, ramdisks, complete Android kernel/ramdisk/dtb and also complete physical disk backups.

Physical (raw) backups are good, but only for putting back on the same device.
File copy backups are good for saving useful things to different devices.

Me? The only "useful" things I have on my devices are photos that I've just taken on that device.
Everything else is synced to my devices.

FalkoniLondon

Jan 27, 2021
Maybe? I've never done it before. I heard reports from others who have, so I know it can work. My advice would be to force shutdown using the power button and then try powering up again. Maybe it will feel better the second time around.

If that fails, you may need to remake the card. For formatting, you might try the little utility SDFormatter. There are versions for both Windows and Mac. Also, if you have previously tried to image an SD card with NookManager, the card is partitioned and you might need to merge those partitions before using it for something else. That could be the issue, although I would think that writing an image overrides everything. Formatting is trickier and Windows especially can generally only see the primary partition on a card.

Thank you. Powering down and back on didn’t work. I will try your reformatting idea before giving up. I should have realised that something was not 100% seeing how hard it was for the pc to write the region change.(multiple failures) I just assumed it was due to the age of my pc.

I also haven’t realised it before, but my Nook’s battery was probably suffering for years, ever since the UK Nook urls were made inactive, so I suppose if I were to eventually give up, go for a hard reset, bypass registration and just root it, I’ll get nearly all the functionality but with the reduced battery life that I was used to. (I thought it was the machine’s age :)
That is, unless all the customised apps you guys have created, like kindle, Libby, file manager etc. Wont work on 1.2.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a graphical, interactive rooting system with the ability to create/restore backups and factory settings.

This has been tested on systems 1.1.5, 1.2.0 (US/UK), and 1.2.1. It will probably work on earlier versions and should be safe to use on future versions. For best results, however, you should be on 1.2.1 before using this tool.

If you've tried rooting your nook unsuccessfully with another utility, it's best to do a factory restore (from NookManager, choose the "Rescue" option and then "Restore factory.zip") and, if your nook came with older firmware, upgrade to the latest 1.2.1 firmware.

Features:
    • Root your Nook
    • Backup/Restore
    • Restore to factory settings
    • Disable B&N Apps
    • Custom plugins

How to root:

1. Download NookManager.

2. Unzip the file you downloaded and write the NookManager.img file to an empty SD card. On Windows, you can use disk imager. Linux and mac users can use dd.
    Use a real SD card adapter when writing the image, DO NOT USE YOUR NOOK AS THE SDCARD ADAPTER.

If possible, you should use a dedicated SD card for the NookManager image (so you can easily restore from a backup should you ever screw up your Nook). A 512Mb card is big enough for the NookManager image plus a backup of your Nook.​

3. Power off your Nook, insert the SD card and power on.
    You should see the NookManager boot screen followed within 15 seconds by the welcome screen.​

4. Choose "No, continue without wireless"
    the wireless option is for advanced users looking to connect directly to their device​

5. Make a backup using NookManager! Choose "Rescue" then "Backup" then "Format remaining space on SD card" and finally "Create backup"
    Because NookManager cleans the empty space on the Nooks' internal partitions and compresses the backup, it will take at least 15 minutes (and up to 45 minutes) for the backup to complete. Be patient. The final backup file can be as small as only be a few hundred megabytes, depending on the number of downloaded or sideloaded books you have.​

6. Copy the backup image to your computer. Connect your Nook to your computer using the USB cable. Copy the 'backup.full.tgz' and 'backup.full.md5' files from the NookBackup drive to your computer.
    This is your backup in case anything happens to your SD card. This backup is tied to your individual Nook so keep it safe. It's important to copy this file while your Nook is still booted from the SD card because Windows will normally hide the NookBackup partition on the SD card. If you ever need access to the NookBackup partition again, just boot your Nook using the NookManager SD card and connect the Nook to your computer with the USB cable.​

7. Root! After your backup, press "Back" and "Back" to return to the Main Menu. Press "Root" and then "Root my device"

8. That's it! After rooting, pres "Back" and then "Exit". Remove the SD card and put it someplace safe, in case you need to restore to your backup later.

After rooting, you can install Google Apps using straygecko's excellent NTGAppsAttack package if you want to use Google Market/Gmail/Calendar/etc.
    [/LIST]

Technical stuff:

The actual rooting function is minimal and as non-invasive as possible:
    • uRamdisk is patched to enable ADB
    • the internal database setting is changed to allow installation of non-market apps
    • the DroidSansFallback font is replaced with the updated font from jellybean to add support for extended characters
    • the su/Superuser binary/package is installed
    • Relaunch is installed
    • ADB Konnect is installed for enabling/disabling ADB over wireless
    • on systems running firmware 1.2+, the ModManager jars and package are installed
    • on 1.2+ systems, the PackageInstaller.apk from the 1.1.2 firmware is installed to resolve issues with package installers
    • and, finally, the Amazon appstore is installed just to have some easy way of downloading new apps. You can uninstall it using ReLaunch if you don't use it.

The uRamdisk patching is done with scripts rather than copying pre-compiled binaries, so this should be safe for all existing versions of the Nook firmware and (hopefully) will be forward compatible with any new releases.

The rooting procedure is non-destructive and can be run multiple times without causing problems.

Under the hood, this is a minimal linux environment with the nook drivers/binaries and a few core android binaries. The display is generated with imagemagick and written directly to the framebuffer.

If you're connecting to NookManager wirelessly over SSH, the username/password is root/root

Wherever possible, the parts of this system are compiled from source including the Linux kernel, uBoot, and all of the buildroot utilities. The hardware drivers and associated binaries are extracted from the 1.2.0 upgrade package.

The source for the project, including an automated buildscript is available at GitHub.

Support for custom menu items and scripts is documented here.
    NTGAppsAttack - Google Apps Installer for NookManager

I just posted an addon for NookManager to install Google Apps. The thread is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2086582 Hope you find it helpful.
    How long does it take to backup using NookManager?

I've selected it to backup (after rooting & restarting), but it's still on the "creating backup image" screen after 15 minutes.

Edit: Guess it's 18 minutes as it just finished.
    The only thing I miss besides gapps (it looks like we have a solution now) are the norefresh and multitouch from the older rooters. These are nice for pdf reading. Is there any alternative for smooth pdf reading or might these mods be upgraded?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Norefresh, FastMode and Multitouch works fine after you upload 'v166' kernel via CWR.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906507
    straygecko, would it be possible for you to post a fix we could install over ADB? I apologize if you already have, I looked through the posts and I've not seen it.
    Sorry, I got busy with other things and forgot. Attached is the services.jar file with the fix for connecting to the wifi in a Barnes and Noble store. Use ADB or a root explorer like ES File Explorer to put this file in /system/framework. As always, its best to make a backup of your NST first or at least rename the current services.jar on your NST before installing so you can put it back with ADB if you have any problems.