Root Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 Version

Search This thread

ajolly

Aug 24, 2006
Following, I want to root so I can install f.lux properly, but also don't want to lose AI upscaling.

Reactions: jenneh

jenneh

Mandatory, you have to have the Nvidia controller? I didn't really see why I needed it (besides rooting).

Thank you for your work. Top shelf, fool proof content.
No I discovered, with the 2019 version anyway, any usb 3.0 device will work. It's the USB 2.0 keyboards and controllers that give trouble, like say an old usb 360 xbox controller.

Also, Thank You! :)

To everyone else,

I'm going to be looking at the shield again after I finish my current project, to make a Virtual Machine that contains all the fastboot drivers preinstalled, as mine consistently break on my host PC, for reasons unknown.

I have built a Modified Windows 10 ISO called "JROM" that is uploading to the Cloud now. For those curious how to make one yourself, I have made a guide here:

This project shouldn't take me much longer, then my mind will allow me to focus on the Shield again. My apologies on the Delays XD

Last edited:

jenneh

Amazing post, I hope there's more coming and hopefully the developers get on board with more support. Would love a Shield toolkit for us noobs and some amazing roms. Top job Jen!
Thank you hun. Folks like you make people like me want to continue. :)

My focus will be on the shield the next couple weeks, I was successful in my endeavors..

If anyone is interested I created my own modified versions of windows with reduced bloatware https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...lite-iso-plus-win11r00t-w-wsa-bundle.4392727/

I will see y'all here in a week or two with something interesting, I'm sure.

Much Love, Jen

feeling like i skipped a step or four, i decided to root my device again but this time, using SHIELDROOT instead of NEWSHIELDROOT. maybe because its just my device but using shieldroot got me no lag or stutters. with newshieldrooot, it did. not sure why, it might just be me because all the files seemed the same. maybe because shieldroot had sideloadroot/manager and newshield didnt? idk. what do i know.

now, omw to return the shield controller at bestbuy. decided to not keep it since i dont play games on it. plus, i have an 8bitdo controller somewhwere in the garage which i hope will work if im craving super mario bros 3. i have an apple magic keyboard sitting around in the garage. i used the charging cable that came with my beats by dre pill speakers and it was as simple as plug and play.

thank you again for this foolproof guide. it answered alot of my stupid questions normal people wouldnt have.

jenneh

hmm. all my apps.. like youtube and so on, audio is out of sync. also cant connect soundbar.
Could only guess as to what is going on there. I am working on the actual Rom now. For use within TWRP. It will have Updated Lineage, I'll check if there are new dev images for the Android 11 update, etc~!

In the meantime if you havent already, i'd wipe the partitions, rerun whatever method to root the shield, then dl a fresh lineage and install however you wish, as they do nightlys and something within that chain of logic should correct your problem.

I was really ill when I made the new shield root tools and I find it entirely too cringey to re read myself, so my ROM will make those obsolete when released~! I will leave the thread up though as the knowledge may benefit someone, cringey jargon and all.

Last edited:

jenneh

Is there any way to root the cylinder shaped shield device (No USB)
Thanks
Hello Friend,

I apologize but I do not own one of these devices, so I cannot advise...

I do however, follow many threads, and this one may be of use?

m33ts4k0z said:​

""""""""Well I figured it out. First copy the downloaded image to the external sd card of the tube. Then:

1. When you reboot to fastboot using wifi ADB, then first unlock the bootloader.
  2. Then choose "Boot recovery kernel" from the menu. The power button is located above the HDMI port on the tube.
  3. When the dead android image..........."""""

I'm leaving it there...

Go check out his post and see if it helps~! <3

jenneh

I figured something out staring at an opened windows ISO file.

The efi drivers are installed on the boot.

So I thought about the shield and how we have our boot.img file.

I learned that those can be unpacked using a set of tools

They were dubbed "Android Kitchens" a decade ago.

Theoretically one called inject a custom bootloader then run Windows on the Shield...

We'll see where this leads~!

I'm testing this one now, not sure if its what I need but I'm learning

Last edited:
Reactions: chadandchew

chadandchew

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks a lot but sent it back and ordered a 2019 pro model. No USB - ball ache. Remote has no mouse control on it so it wont work on most of my apps. Have to buy another remote - no thanks.
Probably get back here when it arrives

jenneh

Thanks a lot but sent it back and ordered a 2019 pro model. No USB - ball ache. Remote has no mouse control on it so it wont work on most of my apps. Have to buy another remote - no thanks.
Probably get back here when it arrives
Completely Understand! In one of my 5 returns of the same Shield, I naively went with the $50 cheaper version and realized it didn't have usb either and frustratingly had to return it.. again.. haha.

chadandchew

Nov 15, 2019
Second hand 2019 Shield TV Pro arrived today. Searched around a bit but cant really find anything solid for installing TWRP and Magisk. Posts are contradictory and I dont want to brick it, even this used model was quite expensive.

Ive enabled Dev mode and ticked USB debugging (which then totally disables one of the USB ports-why?). Also connected PC to box using adb over wifi.

Theres no option for unlocking bootloader in Dev options. Am I good to go with the following:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot oem unlock-go

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Cheers

@chadandchew just follow these instructions exactly and it should work:

It gets a bit complicated after flashing TWRP to boot into the recovery kernel. For this you need the shield controller or a wired keyboard. I was lucky, it also worked with a wireless keyboard from Logitec.
And to control Twrp you need a mouse or a touchpad.

• Love

chadandchew

Nov 15, 2019
I managed to flash twrp and get magisk to work ok. Thanks.

I dont like the mouse/remote controls on this unit. I find myself having to use both mouse and remote control for various things to work.

I dont like the absence of pull down from top and and pull up from bottom controls. No status bar.

I dont like the way I have to access certain apps by having to go through the device Settings to reach them.

Dont like having to create or use a google account in order to get the box to work after a factory reset or fresh use. Box wont work without one and internet connection. Makes me angry.

If I try using various other launchers such as Nova then there is no access to device settings anywhere.

Im not a gamer and if not for the internet surfing being quicker then I would happily stick with my Mecool box and send this one back. Dont know what all the fuss is about over this box to be honest. Im certainly not impressed with it at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i was able to successfully install windows with the 6T awhile back with Dualboot and wrote a pretty comprehensive guide for it. After reading through this thread I've learned a little bit more as to where those files for the 6T came from I think. Does that mean that these files Here were made the same way you're trying to? Also what about drivers have you been able to pull those? Also something to note is that the Nintendo switch operates on the same tegra soc that might shed some light on things as well. Ive had my shield for about a year now but haven't really done anything with it I like AI upscaling a lot, as far as watching things on it lots of Kodi addons and if you want to sideload apk files pretty much any adb fire stick tools do the job just fine from an android device. Also something that can help quite a bit is This Script which will install android platform tools automatically to PowerShell and you'll be able to use it natively, PowerShell is much better than cmd prompt and you can open a PowerShell in any working folder as well as drag and drop files if need be which is super handy, just make sure to create empty dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android Platform Tools" before install. As far as the 6t goes I even made my own winPE and arm iso to help that process a bit easier. If you can get a working boot.img and drivers I'm sure I can do the same for this device. Instructions for installing Windows 11 on fajita 6T if that helps too. Lineage or root doesn't really benefit me on the sheild but windows would be pretty cool.
    Thank You So Much, Seriously for this information!! I Cannot Wait To Look at This Thoroughly Later Today <3 You've made my whole year
    *Hi Friends!*

Today I want to show you how to root your Nvidia Shield, for development purposes, as well as for repairing a soft-bricked system.

I spent over 80 hours researching how exactly this works, and bricked my system over 30 times to try to figure out every way one could "brick" their system in the process of flash.. and succeeded.. so now you don't have to fail 29 times like I did. :)
    Google Drive:

Alternative Download Site, MEGA (For if Google Drive is being wonky... Never had this much traffic on tools before...):

https://mega.nz/file/oypjQChD#wjSfCChkLN6uLQtiEtHrnGbevCsU7pW7KODb9sEqzOQ
    Plug your usb hub into the port next to your hdmi.

Plug a usb-c cable into the other port.

You will need an Nvidia Controller, a USB Hub, Portable Drive.

As well as a mouse and controller.
    ----I STEPPED ON MAH SHIELD-- I DISCOVERED SOMETHING----

After stepping on my shield, and bending the usb for my shield controller...

I tried plugging in a crappy usb cable.. controller didn't post...

Found a better Samsung cable, controller posted.

Therefore I posit any USB 3.0 + Controller or Keyboard will work,

Must Hold A+ B is all, UPON BOOT!
    Unplug the power cord from the Shield, then reapply it.

Using your Nvidia Controller, hold A and B until the Bootloader shows.

Select Unlock the bootloader.

Select Factory Data Reset.

Hit Reboot and remove the power cord, then unplug the usb from PC.

Wait a few seconds then add the power cord to the Shield.

Leave the USBC unplugged from your PC.

Hold A and B to post back into the bootloader.
    Open Device Manager on your PC.

Plug the USBC cable into your PC.

Right click on the new device and hit update driver.

Browse Manually to Shield Drivers.

Then hit, "let me pick from a list".

Select I have a Disk.

Then install the andriod.usb file.
    In SHIELDROOT, Run OEMUnlock.

Unplug the USB-C From the PC and Reapply.

(Must do to fix broke fastboot after unlock)

Run ShieldRoot.

This will flash the NVIDIA Developer Rooted images.

This will also flash TWRP for us, to recovery as well as boot.

This purposely bricks the system to run TWRP on boot until we finish
    Have Lineage and Gapps saved to a portable drive.

Plug the drive into your usb hub.

Select Install in TWRP and start with Lineage.

Do the same thing for GAPPS If you want to have your playstore. RECOMMENDED.

Unless you know what you're doing...

GAPPS Version is the mini TV build so it runs much smoother.
    ----edit, please Know I believe you don't need to do both steps,
    -----i had a problem with the flash on either the apk or the zip
    ------so i just put them both in. :)
    ------ ALSO NOTE THERE ARE A MILLION WAYS TO GAIN ROOT WITHOUT
    --------MAGISK, THIS WAS JUST THE EASIEST WAY TO PROVE CONCEPT

Go into Advanced on TWRP.

Select Sideload ADB.

Then run the SideloadRootApp.bat file.

Lastly SideloadRootManger.bat file.

Select Reboot system.

Setup your system how you please.
    Go into settings.

Device preferences.

About.

Build, hit build 7 times.
    Go into developer options.

Enable USB Debugging, all 4 options including Network debugging.

Take note of your IP address.

Right click AdbConnect.bat and select edit.

Add your IP address there.

Run AdbConnect and select *Allow* on the Shield.

Run AdbConnect again and you will be successfully connected.

You can then get Root Access in ADB by running AdbR00t.bat if you need it.

Otherwise you have full access to push files, read and write over system partitions, etc.

HOW TO OPEN SHIELD FOLDER ON YOUR PC- BOOT INTO FASTBOOT AND RUN TWRP, WHEN TWRP IS OPEN, YOUR SHIELD WILL POST TO YOUR PC!!! THEN YOU CAN DRAG AND DROP FILES NO CODE!!!
    Thank you to the community for always sharing their knowledge.
    Love, Jen
    Youtube Vids:
    FULL PLAYLIST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N

How To Root Andy MANUAL Windows Setup Andyroid 0.45.5.0 LATEST

🔥Safely Backup and Restore FULL ROM using TWRP Recovery (4K)

How to fix "Zip Treble compatibility error!" Invalid zip file format! in TWRP custom recovery

Linux File System/Structure Explained!

Linux System Administration Full Course

Easily Run Linux On Android With AndroNix - Linux Distro on Android without root

New Way to turn you PC into an Android TV Box with FydeOS - Bye Bye Android X86

Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2015 SSD Swap out + Regrease The APU!

Android multi-boot demo

Nvidia Shield Pro unlocked bootload, twrp and more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6ZChjK0Jo&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=17

How to Download & Install GApps and Magisk on LineageOS 18.1 with LOS Recovery
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCCMeGSTto&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=11

Nvidia shield TV users MUST watch - 10 Hidden features you did not know existed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrMVbjwS3o8&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=12

LineageOS Custom Rom on Shield Android TV (2015)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1_wiSIQ-Is&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=13

Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2021)|Watch Before You Buy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh0MofkC-0o&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=14

Recovery OS Nvidia Shield TV installation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHvOotwRjw&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=15

[HOW-TO] Install Full Android Nougat on Nvidia Shield TV 2015 - TWRP - ROOT [Bye Bye Android TV]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaYb4oVHVc&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=16

Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 Boot Loop Repair (Recovery Image)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc4m2Hfd4HY&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=18

HOW TO ROOT NVIDIA SHIELD 16GB ON OREO UPDATE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x893ajy9YVo&list=PLErzGEIjyUlyiOLVl4aWDYRW-CJd6yF-N&index=19
    Website Links:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xdacirclej...to_use_a_mouse_and_keyboard_on_stadia_google/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/jnxlmw/guidenatively_use_custom_launcher_on_chromecast/
    PLEASE NOTE THE ORIGINAL SHIELDROOT TOOLS DOWNLOAD IS TO TEACH YOU, YOU SHOULD VIEW THE LINK BELOW, ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS METHOD.... YOU CAN THEN BACKUP AND SHARE YOUR ROMS OR SAVE FOR PRIVATE USE AND YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN A "STOCK ROOT" OR A "LINEAGE ROOT", AS WELL AS EASILY GO BACK TO STOCK...
    To Do List:

Will be reuploading the shieldroot tools with wipe all partitions code, updated lineage, etc, as well as including options for folks on other versions of the nvidia shield, all with ammended code. This will take some time to upload / craft, but I will let y'all know when it's done.

Please note, there is nothing wrong with the current shield tools, I am just making them Better! Peace and love
    Shieldroot Tools have Leveled Up!

I'm still studying everything android, apk, linux, etc. I thought about cracking big name emulators last night, like "Nox, andy. bluestacks" with custom OS full Root, etc, but then it occurred to me what these programs actually are, and it's so simple.

It's just like building androidx86 in a virtual machine, except the programs I mentioned, figured out how to manipulate the machines within the virtual environment, doing their best to shut sudo down, and Sold Out to Corporations, uploading $hitware, on top of their independent, emulated kernels.

So I thought "Why not install a headless (just terminal, no gui at boot version) linux" and then construct the android emulator from scratch?" Well I started researching more based off that train of thought, which emulators work on linux and I learned about the most Special One. https://anbox.io/#collapse2

The logic Is flawless, beautiful, brilliant, but not unique! Thankfully for me, as I am a female that prefers Windows, in a world ran by men that love Linux <3 no Hate. I understand. It is akin to apple vs android, but I digress. I was initially going to install a virtual machine with ubuntu to test out anbox, which I absolutely am going to do, as well as I plan to do everything in my power to get it to work on the shield, muahahhaa, butttttt.....

For Us Windows Users.... THERE IS AN AMAZING NEW DEVELOPMENT WITH WIN 11. I must investigate further, I'm updating my OS now... and hopefully in a few days I can prove my current theory, and share with you guys something Truly Magical in the World of Android, for both Windows and Linux Users. EMULATORS, BEWARE..... MUAHAHAHHAHA. <3 NOOBSTACKS RIP

Thanks for all the effort!