Root on S8?

Search This thread

ZigZiggo

May 30, 2014
I don't know which carrier you are on, but there is a way to enable the hotspot without root (at least on Sprint phones). I have done it twice on two different SGS8 plusses and it works like a charm. Involves modifying dial-up APN string via ADB shell...

aktacosa

Jan 30, 2014
Has anyone tried to use DC-Unlocker to unlock the bootloader on the snapdragon versions? It worked really well for the Huawei Mate 8, I just don't have the $5ish (€5) to try it.

Last edited:

aktacosa

Jan 30, 2014
I'll be honest, I'm completely happy without root. All the other phones I've had previously seemed mediocre (except the Mate 8, but it crashed and burned. Darn gym equipment.) I'm in love, I was simply being relevant.

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
why root. its like para-diving, why jump out of a perfectly good plane wearing a parachute.

That's a terrible metaphor honestly. Why even comment on a thread set out to obtain root just so you can say root isn't needed?? Many people like being able to customize their phones to their liking. Hence, many people are interested in finding root.

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
Guys, after rooting the OTA updates stop. How do we then keep the phone up to date?
Is it manual and if so where from? Do we just flash the new rom from some source?
I am stuck with an ancient build and there have been many updates since then that I don't know how to get. Thanks

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Guys, after rooting the OTA updates stop. How do we then keep the phone up to date?
Is it manual and if so where from? Do we just flash the new rom from some source?
I am stuck with an ancient build and there have been many updates since then that I don't know how to get. Thanks

This has been asked and answered 100s of times across god knows how many forums...a quick search would have given you your answer dude...next time please dont be lazy and at least attempt to help your self before asking this type of repeat question:thumbup:

You will need to flash the newest firmware for your model in odin to upgrade. I get my firmware from sammobile.com but there are other places also. Odin will also be available there on the page where you download your firmware.

Once flashed you will need to root again etc etc.

Thats it, pretty easy to do and theres tons of guides around on using odin so you should be good to go

Sent from my S8+, S7 edge or S6

Last edited:

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
I did look for this information, just for the record. I wasn't lazy, I found a lot of conflicting threads.

Anyway, sounds like a hassle but the build I have is so buggy that I would like to try a newer one.

Thanks

Reactions: galaxys

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
I assume the data and apps don't get affected (similar to an OTA update).

Right?

Updating the ROM with Odin and then Flashing magisk is not an issue, i've done it already couple of times when I rooted. I just hate to have to reconfigure all apps and settings

Its sounds like pain but its honestly pretty easy once you have the files.

5 to 10 min max.

Sent from my S8+, S7 edge or S6

TriptonFx

Apr 5, 2017
Oh my ... My Twrp giving error failed to mount /data invalid argument after trying to root ! Help please

It's an Exynos and it should be supported btw ... SM-G950F

roaduardo

Apr 27, 2016
Honestly, at this stage in my user history rooting has lost most of its attraction. Trying to get this and that to work. Reminds me of my breaking point when I was an iPhone user and was a jailbraking fiend. Eventually I grew utterly sick and tired of the cat and mouse game between the jailbreaking community and Apple and I jumped ship to Android for the first time on the Galaxy S2 (Sprint ET4G). I've been rooting ever since but like jailbraking I've recently been feeling that the effort to root and flash just isn't worth it any longer. Looking at how Samsung has presented Nougat on this S8 Plus I feel like I'm not going to be missing root on new devices.

I still have my rooted Note 5 and rooted Moto X Pure Edition to continue fulfilling whatever root features I may want but I'll honestly not need those features on my S8 Plus. Stock Android and Samsung TW, IMO, has matured enough for me to finally say goodbye to root from now on.

kachunkachunk

Nov 2, 2015
Burlington
Yeah, you're not really alone. I've had the same feeling about most things on the phone now. It did however take many years for us to reach this point. I'm grateful, but still think it's not so great the devices are locked down in any way. Open them up and cater to both worlds, IMO.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I have a t-mobile galaxy s8 plus 955u and I bend to root it it is the synapses on baritone would your root work with my device please. Get back to me

Well yes it will but next time please read a bit through a thread before asking such a question.

Your new so maybe you dont know that your expected to read/ search before asking questions as they have likely been answered already 200 times.

To not do so is just plain lazy.

sent from my Note FE, S8 plus, S7 edge or S6

Last edited:
Reactions: britchel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://www.oneclickroot.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s8/

Haven't tested it yet... Wife just unboxed hers today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those sites are phony as f***.
    Without unlocked bootloader, root and ready to install custom AOSP Rom with xposed, I do not need a new phone.
    At that point there are absolutely no reasons to downgrade my Nexus 6.
    I really like the features that offer Galaxy s8 plus but software is over 60% of any device.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

As a Verizon user I've learned to not even ask about root or look forward to it. And you know what. I'm ok with that.

It just incredible, you are missing so much with your phone !! :eek:
    Why do I do this every time I get a new phone that hasn't got any root out yet ??

As the flashoholic customization-junkie I am, I simply cannot wait for proper root or resist trying all these king, supersume, oneclick, this that and the other, and all these crappy apps and tools that claim to give you root, and every time I end up ****ing the phone up somehow, so that much of the security-functionality like knox stop working, and won't be fixed no matter what I do. Side Switch recovery restore, Odin firmware flash, reset erase... nothing gets the error fixed, and now I can't run S Health or Secure Folder, and most certainly other things I haven't found out yet. I actually get a message that my device is rooted when I try to run S-Health, and a message that the device has been tampered with when trying to make a secure folder.

And so it has been with every Samsung device since my N7100 Note II back in the day. And every time I come to a point where I regret even trying any of that crap, as I have now. But every time I come to this, I also realize that every time this happens, it doesn't take long before some twrp and supersu are coming, and then custom ROMS, and I just as soon forget about all the crap I did the first days and don't give it another thought until I yet again find myself with a brand new but "broken" device after ****ing it up, yet again.

And every time, there's threads like this, with people worried about if root is coming or even possible because locked bootloaders and self-restoring recovery and all that **** Samsung is throwing our way with each new flagship model to try to keep us out.

And as always, all that **** doesn't really matter. A locked bootloader can simply be exchanged with an unlocked one through a kernel / bootloader odin, and I'm sure someone, more than one, is sitting and fiddling with some kernel that will enable custom recovery and supersu / root, right at this very moment.

I believe the S-health issue is that efuse hardware **** that got tripped, but it's strange because it said "device has been tampered with" or something first, but suddenly it started saying "device has been rooted" in S-Health, but it still says "tampering" in secure folder. I have no idea if it's supersu, superuser, magisk or some king **** that has fooled my S-Health into thinking my s8+ is rooted. I have tried sideloading and pushing and installing just about every superuser app, and some busyboxes.

Yeah, I know, it's really ****ed up, but what can I say, have you ever seen a junkie before ?? It ain't pretty, and I'm a true flashoholic junkie. I actually managed to root a Sony Xperia Go with a locked bootloader once, just by ****ing with every app and service possible.

Though, I tend to agree with some comments over here about root not being that important anymore, at least not at Samsung devices. I have a Nexus 6p, which I get all my AOSP needs satisfied with. as such, and I like many of the Samsung special features, like S-Health, which I've used since my N7100-days.

BTW, to bypass that "device is rooted" issue I just installed an old version of S-Health, which then was installed as a user-app and not a system-app, and that fixed it.

Root will come, I am certain it will !!!

Wow...
    WHY?

Why do I do this every time I get a new phone that hasn't got any root out yet ??

As the flashoholic customization-junkie I am, I simply cannot wait for proper root or resist trying all these king, supersume, oneclick, this that and the other, and all these crappy apps and tools that claim to give you root, and every time I end up ****ing the phone up somehow, so that much of the security-functionality like knox stop working, and won't be fixed no matter what I do. Side Switch recovery restore, Odin firmware flash, reset erase... nothing gets the error fixed, and now I can't run S Health or Secure Folder, and most certainly other things I haven't found out yet. I actually get a message that my device is rooted when I try to run S-Health, and a message that the device has been tampered with when trying to make a secure folder.

And so it has been with every Samsung device since my N7100 Note II back in the day. And every time I come to a point where I regret even trying any of that crap, as I have now. But every time I come to this, I also realize that every time this happens, it doesn't take long before some twrp and supersu are coming, and then custom ROMS, and I just as soon forget about all the crap I did the first days and don't give it another thought until I yet again find myself with a brand new but "broken" device after ****ing it up, yet again.

And every time, there's threads like this, with people worried about if root is coming or even possible because locked bootloaders and self-restoring recovery and all that **** Samsung is throwing our way with each new flagship model to try to keep us out.

And as always, all that **** doesn't really matter. A locked bootloader can simply be exchanged with an unlocked one through a kernel / bootloader odin, and I'm sure someone, more than one, is sitting and fiddling with some kernel that will enable custom recovery and supersu / root, right at this very moment.

I believe the S-health issue is that efuse hardware **** that got tripped, but it's strange because it said "device has been tampered with" or something first, but suddenly it started saying "device has been rooted" in S-Health, but it still says "tampering" in secure folder. I have no idea if it's supersu, superuser, magisk or some king **** that has fooled my S-Health into thinking my s8+ is rooted. I have tried sideloading and pushing and installing just about every superuser app, and some busyboxes.

Yeah, I know, it's really ****ed up, but what can I say, have you ever seen a junkie before ?? It ain't pretty, and I'm a true flashoholic junkie. I actually managed to root a Sony Xperia Go with a locked bootloader once, just by ****ing with every app and service possible.

Though, I tend to agree with some comments over here about root not being that important anymore, at least not at Samsung devices. I have a Nexus 6p, which I get all my AOSP needs satisfied with. as such, and I like many of the Samsung special features, like S-Health, which I've used since my N7100-days.

BTW, to bypass that "device is rooted" issue I just installed an old version of S-Health, which then was installed as a user-app and not a system-app, and that fixed it.

Root will come, I am certain it will !!!
    I'm sure root will happen.....when.....who knows. The S7 and s7e had eng.kernels for MM and Nougat all within a few months If even that.

Sent from my SM-G950T using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Yeah and the eng kernels are crap