How To Guide Root Oneplus 10 Pro (Color OS - Oxygen OS)

Search This thread

zelma83

Mar 22, 2022
Ulricehamn
OnePlus 10 Pro
Okay so for starters I'm not very much good at writing guides and this isnt really intended to be a guide but just a breakdown of what steps I took on my phone that might be helpful to the next person that comes along.
Also, @dladz already has an amazing guide which is pretty much step by step what I did so there is that too haha.

FULL DISCLAIMER also that I have no clue what I am doing and just try to learn from the professionals here. No responsibility taken for bricking your phone, damaging it beyond repair, or getting it lost in someone's toilet.

Model used: Oneplus 10 Pro 5G - NE2213
Version: A12
Origin: China (white version at time of purchase was only available from China)

Firstly I needed to have the following already downloaded:

- Magisk Manager v24.3 (24300) stable
- Fastboot Enhancer (used vers 1.3.0) saved to your desktop
- a ROM on a version higher than your current one (I didnt use my Chinese version OS so it seems to be fine booting into the EU one)
- the proper Oneplus drivers installed ( I believe you can get it off your phone directly when you plug it in? Someone correct me)
- SDK platform tools installed, so you get access to ADB and Fastboot

Steps taken:

- hop onto your phone and under Settings > About Device > Version, click on Build Number 7 times and activate Developer Settings

- from there go back to the main settings > System Settings > Developer Options > and check off OEM Unlocking if not, as well as USB debugging (here I also checked off Select USB configuaration to always be MTP)

- Going back to the PC now, go find a copy of another full sized ROM bearing A13 EU

- using Fastboot enhancer on my Windows 10 PC, I clicked on PAYLOAD DUMPER

View attachment 5624609

- from there click on browse and select the ROM you had downloaded and continue
*might take a few minutes just be patient

- you can see the contents of the rom inside, and one of them will be called BOOT, that is the one to EXTRACT to your phone. Make sure magisk manager is also downloaded or transferred into the phone as well.

View attachment 5624613

- from here, open up Magisk.apk and let it install

- open up Magisk and SELECT AND PATCH A FILE, it will prompt you to select the file so pick up boot.img and hit continue to allow it to patch magisk onto the boot.img
* again might take a bit so let it run

- rename the newly patched boot.img to something easy to type out after like boot_magisk.img so you know which is which and save the copy back onto your PC

- go to where your ADB.exe is located, shift + right click , open Powershell Window (different ways of getting to this point but just habit for me) open it up and type in "adb devices",
* if the previous steps are done right it should pop up showing the one device connected currently
* check your phone sometimes might just need to select "media transfer" instead of just charging

View attachment 5624621

- next, type "adb reboot bootloader" , let it reboot

- type "fastboot devices" on your prompt should show that device, if not then need to figure out the drivers or wrong cable type, etc

- type "fastboot boot boot_magisk.img" It will run the img and boot into it.
***** do NOT type FLASH as most of the time we do this as you just want to temporarily get into the magisk patched boot and install your actual rom with Magisk

- the phone will reboot normally and looks like normal. Go to magisk manager now and click on the install/update. When selecting the options I just picked DIRECT INSTALL and let it run before booting again.

- enjoy your newly minted OP! Updating your oneplus however now means it will prompt to download the FULL rom every time instead of the small OTA. Another step added to your routine is just simply let it install, go to your Magisk, and select INSTALL TO OTHER SLOT and then click reboot. You'll get to keep your magisk while updating the rom.

Have fun ;)
I will not find the boot.img on magisk, it doesnt exist on the phone. but i have it on my computer.
But im little bit stock , what shouild i do? Direct install magisk,? Do it all med payload again. ?

royal.tm

Mar 24, 2014
OnePlus One
OnePlus 2
I will not find the boot.img on magisk, it doesnt exist on the phone. but i have it on my computer.
But im little bit stock , what shouild i do? Direct install magisk,? Do it all med payload again. ?
wait, do you want to run what steps you took?
Because in my list of steps, I mentioned to transfer the extracted file boot.img into your phone to proceed.
See below I quoted my steps again for you.

- you can see the contents of the rom inside, and one of them will be called BOOT, that is the one to EXTRACT to your phone. Make sure magisk manager is also downloaded or transferred into the phone as well.

View attachment 5624613

- from here, open up Magisk.apk and let it install

- open up Magisk and SELECT AND PATCH A FILE, it will prompt you to select the file so pick up boot.img and hit continue to allow it to patch magisk onto the boot.img
* again might take a bit so let it run

kouzelnik3

Quick question - if I am rooted - if I download and install full zip via normal in-built updater, when do I need to install magisk in to the other slot? Once it downloads and extract the update before that button which will restart the device? Or does it work somehow else in this case?
Asking because of this new updater in comparison to the old one from the previous oneplus devices.

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Quick question - if I am rooted - if I download and install full zip via normal in-built updater, when do I need to install magisk in to the other slot? Once it downloads and extract the update before that button which will restart the device? Or does it work somehow else in this case?
Asking because of this new updater in comparison to the old one from the previous oneplus devices.
After you've used the local installer and NOT yet rebooted.

It's an APK you need. It's in my guide in the OP.

Reactions: zelma83

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Yeah, I know about that OPLocal update apk, but I am asking about built-in updater :)
If you use the in built updater you will not get chance to click install then not click reboot. It'll do it automatically, which is why were all using the APK to install updates..

It's after the local update says reboot (post install) you can't do that with the inbuilt updater, otherwise we all would.

Reactions: kouzelnik3

kouzelnik3

If you use the in built updater you will not get chance to click install then not click reboot. It'll do it automatically, which is why were all using the APK to install updates..

It's after the local update says reboot (post install) you can't do that with the inbuilt updater, otherwise we all would.
There is one chance to click on the button, but it seems to be somewhere before the whole installatino process begins, then it reboots. But ok, thank you for the clarification :)

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
There is one chance to click on the button, but it seems to be somewhere before the whole installatino process begins, then it reboots. But ok, thank you for the clarification :)

So you can definitely click install and it will install, but it'll place the stock boot image in place of the patched one and roots gone, it's an awful step OnePlus has taken with this, I'm just happy that that app exists, otherwise we'd be re-rooting everytime via fastboot..

Stick with the APK mate 👍🏻

Reactions: kouzelnik3

kouzelnik3

So you can definitely click install and it will install, but it'll place the stock boot image in place of the patched one and roots gone, it's an awful step OnePlus has taken with this, I'm just happy that that app exists, otherwise we'd be re-rooting everytime via fastboot..

Stick with the APK mate 👍🏻
Ah that's what I wanted to know. It overwrites boot.img. Shame on OP, but hey, localupdate.apk is our savior now. :)

Reactions: dlads

Lakasg

Jun 28, 2022
Sorry if you already answer this Question but the last time I rooted a phone was 3 years ago an HTC U12+. I read the entire threat but I'm somehow confused ,can I root the phone without installing Custom ROM and how? My model is oneplus 10 pro 5g 256G in Cyprus

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Sorry if you already answer this Question but the last time I rooted a phone was 3 years ago an HTC U12+. I read the entire threat but I'm somehow confused ,can I root the phone without installing Custom ROM and how? My model is oneplus 10 pro 5g 256G in Cyprus
Great phone.

Very easy to root a OnePlus.

Pull the boot image from your firmware (preferably the full zip, not incremental)

Pop it on your phone and patch it it with Magisk, it'll deploy the output file to downloads.

Copy it to your fastboot folder on your PC then reboot to fastboot on your phone.

Fastboot boot name of image

Your phone will boot, once it does, open Magisk and click install directly.

Job done, make sure you're on Magisk 25

👍🏻

Lakasg

Jun 28, 2022
Great phone.

Pull the boot image from your firmware (preferably the full zip, not incremental)

Pop it on your phone and patch it it with Magisk, it'll deploy the output file to downloads.

Copy it to your fastboot folder on your PC then reboot to fastboot on your phone.

👍🏻

Great phone.

👍🏻
I managed to root my phone set it up and then I updated my phone and now I have lost root and the problem is the first time I rooted the phone the version was NE2213_11_A.10 now is A.13 and I can't find anywhere and magisk patch Boot Image with this version can anyone Help? I need EU version NE2213_11_A.13

spevil07

Mar 16, 2012
OnePlus 10 Pro
  • Love
Reactions: dlads and Lakasg

zelma83

Mar 22, 2022
Ulricehamn
OnePlus 10 Pro
That is nobydy som hsve find files for latest upgrade?Snd s file to magisk if i need that.
Telefonen är på NE2210_11_A.16.
.Happely if the are "patched" if the need to be the.
Ishould root amd try to do the phone as advice, they dont go now? i fastboot orogram you thalk anout.
windows 11 has non bluetooth, because microsoft that theirs is not good.
Usb doesnt work.
I dont write here so much longer,
My questions is so easy for you to know what im trying to say,
Im feeling me stupid, when i get a simple answer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.
    Instructions for root Oneplus 10 Pro Color OS - Oxygen OS.
    1. Open Settings on your OnePlus 10 Pro and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
    Look for the Build Number and tap 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
    Go back to the main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
    2. In Developer Options, you need to enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging
    3. Connect phone to PC and choice transfer file.
    4. Start adb and write adb reboot bootloader
    5. Unlock bootloader (fastboot flashing unlock)
    6. Need patched boot color os or Oxygen OS
    7. Then fastboot boot boot (magisk).img
    8. Start system
    9. Install latest magisk canary and tap to install automatically.
    10. Excellent
    Download: Repo AFH (Color - Oxygen OTA-Kernel) Mega Repo (Color - Oxygen Kernel)

Ps. Of course, you must have the correct drivers installed adb (Google to the rescue)
    UPD: Install drivers
    • Open Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates > see drivers when device connected
    sshot-1.jpg
    sshot-2.jpg
    sshot-3.jpg
    Here I am posting magisk patch boot.img EU version (NE2213_11_A.10)! I have succefully flashed it via fastboot.
    What the different between, boot, fasyboot, boatloader,flash, Rom,fastboot boot, and every words you write?
    Is rom the software for EU or global version?
    Do i need to change color os to oxygen os?

1. Boot - to boot up / start the system /. Start with one thing / choose something to start with / to boot.

2. Bootloader - the bootloader is the place you need to be and to have in order to boot anything, also the pre operating system where you can alter options before the OS.

3. Flash - to flash eg: an image, differently to booting, to flash is to change a partition permanently until flashed again, booting is singular, it will not survive a reboot, flashing will survive, if the image is correct then it'll work, if anything goes wrong then it'll fail and unlike booting it'll remain failed.

4. ROM - read only memory, or in our case the ROM is the image that you use in order to replace an operating system, it houses all the content and images in an encrypted format or firmware that we require in order to flash a phone/tablet/computer, all architectures require an OS.

5. Fastboot - similar to the bootloader, fastboot is a protocol used in order to affect the already established operating system via a pre operating system environment, it's from here you would use the vast majority of commands used in today's rooting and unlocking procedures.

6. ROM isn't specific it's a piece of code in a structure you cannot change against how it was intended, hence read ONLY memory.

7. ADB - android debug bridge (you didn't ask for this but it's a huge part of Android) adb can be used to install apps, remove apps, delete files, add files, it's here you learn the OS and it's file structure, you'd never know program files lived in the C drive is you didn't look, adb let's you push and pull, install, uninstall from this time structure from your computer, I can't emphasize enough how important this is, it ties into everything.

Most of this can be found on Google mate, I would have thought.

I answered all this from the top of my head, maybe some of this may have altered, but it's pretty accurate id say.
    OK ok, i got it working, the bootloader unlock i mean.
    The problem was my computer, reinstalled drivers and platform tools and now i had it unlocked with 'fastboot flashing unlock' command.
    Has anyone managed to find a copy of the North American firmware yet?

Version number is NN2215_11_A.10