I just got the OTA notification for the new 12.C47 update, I just want to double check. The steps above can be done via OTA? As in install it via OTA, do not reboot and go into Magisk and install to inactive slot? I just got my OP 9 a week ago so still learning the ways to Root. It was much simpler on my old Oneplus 5.
Thanks for this. I tried this and also the method I posted above, both of them don't work for me. The one you posted, it looks like my method of getting root did not backup the boot.img file, so it couldn't restore the image. Simply trying to update via OTA with a patched boot.img does not work, it causes an error half way.@Z-Blade : I found this in th Oneplus 9 pro forum:
OnePlus9 Pro Forum from @kullurumanoj
Incremental OTA with root:
1. Open magisk manager
2. Click Uninstall Magisk, then select Restore Images (Do not do a complete uninstall) and wait for it to finish
3. Do NOT reboot
4. Navigate to settings, and check for updates
5. Download and install the update as you would normally (It will download the incremental update, not the full 2GB+ file, saving you a lot of bandwidth)
6. Once done, open up magisk WITHOUT REBOOTING
7. Tap the install button, and select the 4th option (Install to inactive slot), once done, your device will reboot and you will be on the new OTA, with root, preserving your magisk modules if you have any.
Full Zip with root:
1. First disable magisk modules
3. Download update and let it install
4. Then go to magisk
5. Install to inactive slot in magisk
But I don't know how good it works.
My question woud be:
Does this way also applies for the le2110 (chinese variant op9)? Or are there other constrains?
Thank you for the information. Did step 5 reset all the user data?So what I ended up doing is this:
1. Install Oxygen Updater app from the Play Store
2. Download the Full OTA.
3. Extract Payload and use Payload dumper to grab boot.img (optional if you want root back)
4. Download and install the OP Local Update Apk.
5. Use the OP Local Update app to flash the Full OTA (you will lose root and custom recovery).
6. Use Magisk to patch boot.img and flash it to get root back (optional).
You don't lose any data and no data is reset.
Do I have to be on Android 12 already to install the app?You don't lose any data and no data is reset.
I have also found out a way to retain Root after flashing the Full OTA. I have edited and updated my post above. This is much simpler and easier. Later on I will create a guide as I think it will be helpful for those on Android 12 who wants to update and retain root access.
Those steps is for when you are already on Android 12 and wanting to update. I am not 100% sure it will work as I have not tested it but I assume it will work since it's a full OTA package.Do I have to be on Android 12 already to install the app?
I am still on E.13 (188.8.131.52), I have downlaoded c.47 from xda and put it into root folder on my phone. After that I wanted to install the app. But I am not able to install it...(I have also installed the oxygen updater, just in case, but no change at all).
What would be the next steps?
To root OOS, yes, this method still works for Android 11 and Android 12.