• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Root OnePlus 9

Search This thread

cass89

Jan 17, 2013
In the process of getting the boot.img from full ota from oneplus.com.. the version i downloaded is
11.2.4.4.LE25AA but I'm on 11.2.7.7.LE25AA, would that cause any issues? can i downgrade?
also kinda nervous flashing boot without a backup, but it seems I need root in order to backup... should I not be worried about it?

Finally rooted, Thanks for the guide and all the help here!

Last edited:

BitterBuffaloh

Mar 13, 2016
Can someone help me out? I've upgraded from a Nexus 5X (yep, I kept that phone running for a LONG TIME) that had root via Magisk and Adaway. I'm finding it really hard to go back to a phone that shows ads, I've actually started using my 5X again. But I am curious what my options are for rooting and adblocking on the One Plus 9? It's also my work phone, so I need it to be pretty reliable. If anyone could catch me up on what are my options, I would greatly appreciate it. The phones model is LE2110 and it's running Oxygen OS.

MoHed

Dec 11, 2009
The Web
Can someone help me out? I've upgraded from a Nexus 5X (yep, I kept that phone running for a LONG TIME) that had root via Magisk and Adaway. I'm finding it really hard to go back to a phone that shows ads, I've actually started using my 5X again. But I am curious what my options are for rooting and adblocking on the One Plus 9? It's also my work phone, so I need it to be pretty reliable. If anyone could catch me up on what are my options, I would greatly appreciate it. The phones model is LE2110 and it's running Oxygen OS.
I am rooted (LE2015, OOS 11.2.8.8). No issues whatsoever.
Just boot the rooted boot.img using PC and fastboot.
Install the Magisk.apk. From Magisk install Magisk > Direct install >Reboot.
I use a combination of ad-away and adguard (probably ovekill).
I have not seen an ad in the last few months!

Last edited:
Reactions: BitterBuffaloh

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
Anyone got 11.2.8.8AA rooted boot.img
Im pretty sure previous boot img will work. ill use the 2.7.7.7 and try. i JUST msmtooled to 2.4.4, coudl have rooted and then OTA update/slot swap in mag to keep root to 2.8.8

Edit: worked fine. for precaution, i just let my installed version of magisk make a new one off the 11.2.7.7 boot img.

Last edited:

orangekid

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I've got an LE2115 and I am on OOS 11.2.8.8LE25AA - is there a specific boot.img I need to use? I don't know what the difference between the BA, DA, etc versions are and I'd rather ask before just flashing something.

Thanks

orangekid

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anyone have the boot image unrooted for 11.2.8.8? I'm trying to downgrade my root for viper4Android.
    Very simple.

Download the update.
    Install it BUT don't reboot.
    Go to magisk. Click install to inactive SLOT.

Bam reboot
    This is for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA). If you are on Global, EU version works, but up to you. It appears for last year, unless you are from India, OnePlus doesn't care. It might be a while before a Full OTA update for Global is released, you'll notice updates come without it for Global or on their Global support site, the firmware is outdated.
    - On T-Mobile have full 5G. I don't know about AT&T and Verizon. Should be same.

If you are on Global and you just received your phone. Do all the updates from the incremental through device. If you want root, you can flash with the EU patched boot.img and everything will work as normal
    **** but once you do this, you will need to wait for Global full OTA to update next time, unless you managed to have a backup copy of the unpatched boot.img

Do the usual to unlock your OnePlus 9: oem unlock, usb debugging from developer. Boot into bootloader and use adb command /fastboot flashing unlock

This will wipe your phone and reboot. Setup your phone

Install Magisk from his official github: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.0
    - Topjohn provides full instructions on how to do this yourself as well.

Reboot into bootloader

Flash boot the magisk modified boot.img. /fastboost flash boot boot.img

Go into Magisk app and install via direct install and all done.

Return to stock
    - Restore boot.img from Magisk
    - Uninstall Magisk
    - Flash the stock boot.img
    - Relock the bootloader, will wipe and return to factory reset.

Stock 11.2.33 Boot.img
    Magisk Patched 11.2.33 boot.img

Patched Boot.img for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA)
    Stock Boot.img for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA)

Future Full OTA Updates
    - Update as usual
    - Go into Magisk and choose direct install and then install to inactive slot after OTA
    - This will retain root

How to do it yourself:

Download full OTA, usually Oxygen Updater App, XDA has links or from https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade

Download Payload Dumper

Extract and place payload.bin in input folder
    output.jpg

Run the payload_dumper.exe

In the output folder will be boot.img, move that onto your phone, folder of your choice

Go to Magisk app, click install
    Choose Select and Patch a File
    Choose the file and it will patch it, Magisk will say where the file is located.
    That is your patched boot.img file. Use that to flash / root your phone.

Remember only have do this once, you don't have to do this again with subsequent updates.
    11.2.4.4LE25AA is out!

Here's what I did to get the partial OTA
    --always back up your critical data--
    0. Download Magisk-patched boot.img and SDK tools
    1. Uninstall Magisk (restore backup)
    2. Reboot
    3. Settings>System>Check for update> Download and install>Reboot
    4. Verify installation (Settings >About phone)
    5. Reboot to bootloader
    6. Hookup phone to desktop, navigate to the directory with patched boot.img
    7. "Fastboot devices" to ensure connection
    8. "Fastboot boot boot11244magisk.img"
    9. Once the OP9 started rebooting, I pulled out the USB and let it finish booting up
    10. Launch Magisk, tap Install, and then select Direct Installation. Reboot!

Here's the Magisk-patched 11244AA boot.img:
    I uploaded 11.2.6.6DA images here
    I have every version of you would like them?

I'll upload my 11.2.8.8AA now

Rooted Image - 11.2.8.8AA https://drive.google.com/file/d/10MaCWF18-CNZj7S5i67HunIkyBMRi-Fz/view?usp=drivesdk

Rooted Image - 11.2.8.8DA / BA
    You may use for both.
    I'm on 11.2.7.7.LE25BA Europe version and I just made an img for use with this guide if you want to save yourselves the trouble of making one: