Jacksonville
11.2.4.4LE25AA is out!

Here's what I did to get the partial OTA
--always back up your critical data--
0. Download Magisk-patched boot.img and SDK tools
1. Uninstall Magisk (restore backup)
2. Reboot
3. Settings>System>Check for update> Download and install>Reboot
4. Verify installation (Settings >About phone)
5. Reboot to bootloader
6. Hookup phone to desktop, navigate to the directory with patched boot.img
7. "Fastboot devices" to ensure connection
8. "Fastboot boot boot11244magisk.img"
9. Once the OP9 started rebooting, I pulled out the USB and let it finish booting up
10. Launch Magisk, tap Install, and then select Direct Installation. Reboot!

Here's the Magisk-patched 11244AA boot.img:
Anybody has patched boot.img for 11.2.4.4BA? Or can i use the AA boot.img?

boybkol

Jan 5, 2016
Jacksonville
11.2.4.4LE25AA is out!

2. Reboot
5. Reboot to bootloader
9. Once the OP9 started rebooting, I pulled out the USB and let it finish booting up

Do you mind sharing the full 11.2.4.4AA firmware update?

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
Is there a way to back up the current image from our phone in the event we want to re-flash it? Not just the boot image, but the entire ROM with all data?

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
Any of you Global users running the EU version? Seems like that's what users are resorting to since Global updates take forever. I'm still on 11.2.2 because I want to wait for OP to release the full OTA on their site.

I've read people flashing the EU boot image and having success but I'm a bit paranoid in doing that especially since there is no MSM tool available yet. I don't have any spare phone to fall back on so if I end up in a brick with no way out, I'm pretty screwed.

I'm also aware that users have posted their Global boot image after Magisk creates a backup of it during the incremental OTA, but my paranoia sets in where I get worried if it might screw my phone up and I'm without with a bootable device.

It's making me start to wonder if I could get away with running the EU version entirely, rather than just flashing the EU Boot image. But I'm wondering if I'll encounter any reception issues, or mobile data problems.

reffu

Feb 11, 2008
OnePlus 9
Any of you Global users running the EU version? Seems like that's what users are resorting to since Global updates take forever. I'm still on 11.2.2 because I want to wait for OP to release the full OTA on their site.

I've read people flashing the EU boot image and having success but I'm a bit paranoid in doing that especially since there is no MSM tool available yet. I don't have any spare phone to fall back on so if I end up in a brick with no way out, I'm pretty screwed.

I'm also aware that users have posted their Global boot image after Magisk creates a backup of it during the incremental OTA, but my paranoia sets in where I get worried if it might screw my phone up and I'm without with a bootable device.

It's making me start to wonder if I could get away with running the EU version entirely, rather than just flashing the EU Boot image. But I'm wondering if I'll encounter any reception issues, or mobile data problems.
I've been running the EU version since the first week or so. At first I thought it reduced my 5G speeds, but later realized that I was testing from a different location than when on the global firmware. When I tested from the same location I'd tested the global firmware the speeds were similar.

I've had no issues being on the EU version, and it's pretty easy to install, even with Magisk. If you already have magisk installed, you can just download the EU OTA to the root of storage, then use the System Update -> Triple Dot menu -> Local update tool to install it. If you want to keep magisk, just install to inactive slot before restarting.

Reactions: rickysidhu_

LiNkiN0236

Jun 10, 2014
May someone help me ? I've unlock oem, install as what mr. Reaper said. Boot as usual but when trying to install Magisk, an error pop up state ' There was a problem while parsing the package. ' Should I install 11.2.4.4.LE25AA Firmware at Settings -> Local Upgrade ? Or just flash latest magisk using fastboot ? Sorry, I'm a bit worried.

Update : Just install the firmware above on settings -> local upgrade. Then, flash again the magisk patched.img on fastboot mode. Reboot, then the Magisk icon already there. Proceed to install but still stuck like on the image.

Update 2 : So I decided to start again with the following process
1. Reinstall magisk ( since the apps is already pre-install but tend to not work )
2. Create magisk-patched.img based on boot.img for 11.2.4.4.LE25AA Firmware ( learnt from Droidwin )
3. Reboot to bootloader
4. Flash boot.img, then flash magisk-patched.img
5. Reboot and recheck my Magisk
The only problem I had is Safetynet issue. Is it because of mine came from China Set ( flashed to Oxygen OS before ? ) Btw, I could grant access when opening Root Explorer. Everything was fine. Any help would be appreciate.

Attachments

• SS1.jpg
    SS1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 32
  • SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
May someone help me ? I've unlock oem, install as what mr. Reaper said. Boot as usual but when trying to install Magisk, an error pop up state ' There was a problem while parsing the package. ' Should I install 11.2.4.4.LE25AA Firmware at Settings -> Local Upgrade ? Or just flash latest magisk using fastboot ? Sorry, I'm a bit worried.

Update : Just install the firmware above on settings -> local upgrade. Then, flash again the magisk patched.img on fastboot mode. Reboot, then the Magisk icon already there. Proceed to install but still stuck like on the image.

Update 2 : So I decided to start again with the following process
1. Reinstall magisk ( since the apps is already pre-install but tend to not work )
2. Create magisk-patched.img based on boot.img for 11.2.4.4.LE25AA Firmware ( learnt from Droidwin )
3. Reboot to bootloader
4. Flash boot.img, then flash magisk-patched.img
5. Reboot and recheck my Magisk
The only problem I had is Safetynet issue. Is it because of mine came from China Set ( flashed to Oxygen OS before ? ) Btw, I could grant access when opening Root Explorer. Everything was fine. Any help would be appreciate.
Don't trust the built-in Safety net checker in Magisk, it's broken.

Download SafetyNet Checker from the play store and try that way. Make sure that you hide the magisk app via Magisk Hide, and in the Magiskhide menu under Super User that the tick marks are all full on any google/banking/payment apps, not just half way. You have to expand most of them to click on sub services to hide.

Reactions: LiNkiN0236

MoHed

Dec 11, 2009
The Web
1+9 Global (on EU) version 11.2.5.5 EU rooted successfully and working w/o problems.
Unhide Magisk
Flash (Local) the FULL 11.2.5.5 EU software (From the repo thread).
Reboot and check version etc.. (You are now UNrooted).
then Root using : fastboot boot boot11255magisk.img
Then install Magisk.apk and direct install Magisk for permanent root

md5 Hash:
boot11255magisk.img 96C3EE6544221DBE1046B609B431940A

boot.img B743FE29D405A43769147DC7CC025465

Last edited:

die_braut

Jun 7, 2009
Central Germany
OnePlus 9
1+9 Global (on EU) version 11.2.5.5 EU rooted successfully and working w/o problems.
Unhide Magisk
Flash (Local) the FULL 11.2.5.5 EU software (From the repo thread).
Reboot and check version etc.. (You are now UNrooted).
then Root using : fastboot boot boot11255magisk.img
Then install Magisk.apk and direct install Magisk for permanent root

md5 Hash:
boot11255magisk.img 96C3EE6544221DBE1046B609B431940A

boot.img B743FE29D405A43769147DC7CC025465
Why not use the "install to inactive slot (after OTA)" option? Is there a reason to make things more complex?

Reactions: MoHed

MoHed

Dec 11, 2009
The Web
None.
Just that this method seems safer.
Re-rooting is easy and you are less likely go into bootloop in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: die_braut

die_braut

Jun 7, 2009
Central Germany
OnePlus 9
Why not use the "install to inactive slot (after OTA)" option? Is there a reason to make things more complex?
I finally tried this out, going from 12.2.4.4 to 12.2.5.5 (EU), which worked flawlessly:

(0.) disable risky Magisk modules, call recorder, Substratum, etc.
1. Install system update (full version) using built in update function (do not reboot)
2. Install Magisk (direct install), not sure if needed but better safe than sorry (no reboot)
3. Install Magisk (patch inactive slot, after OTA)
4. Reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry, I don't exactly understand what you mean.

I'm currently rooted with magisk.
    So I can update without rebooting and install magisk in inactive slot?

I'm still working this out myself, but I'll attempt to elaborate a bit more.

The only way to successfully complete an OTA update is if your boot partition is untouched, but magisk modifies boot image, hence your problem.

The solution is for Magisk to temporarily restore the boot partition to its original state, using the instructions offered by @shadabkiani. However as he said, this is only assuming that magisk made a copy of your original image when you installed it, which depends on whether you did so using the recommended method of temporarily booting the patched image and allowing Magisk to make a backup before permanent install.

But even if you did not use this method you may be able to find the correct clean boot image shared on this thread and flash it manually, which should allow the OTA update to Android 14
    @shadabkiani I'm curious to know the origin of this method. I see you've been kindly recommending it throughout this forum, and Magisk itself seems designed for it (since it detects and automatically backs up the clean boot image) but the official instructions still recommend flashing, as well as this very guide, and if it wasn't for you explicitly recommending that I use the temp method I would've made the same mistake as everyone else.

And I'm assuming this isn't specific to OP9 - just a quick glance at the Magisk forum shows people complaining as recently as a few days ago about how difficult it is to navigate ROM updates using the official instructions.
    I read it in this thread or something similar about rooting OnePlus 9. The reason that official method asks for flashing directly is because not all phones support temporarily booting a given boot.img/recovery.img. My HTC 10 can't temporarily boot a patched img. I have to flash it. Also, even if you flash the patched image, you should still have original boot.img somewhere cause that's what you used to patch in the first place. But people often tend to lose/delete original boot.img once they get root without realising they would still need it later in order for OTA to proceed. That's why temporarily boot the patched img and then using direct install from Magisk is a more convenient way cause it will take original backup and store on the phone in /data.
    This is for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA). If you are on Global, EU version works, but up to you. It appears for last year, unless you are from India, OnePlus doesn't care. It might be a while before a Full OTA update for Global is released, you'll notice updates come without it for Global or on their Global support site, the firmware is outdated.
    - On T-Mobile have full 5G. I don't know about AT&T and Verizon. Should be same.

If you are on Global and you just received your phone. Do all the updates from the incremental through device. If you want root, you can flash with the EU patched boot.img and everything will work as normal
    **** but once you do this, you will need to wait for Global full OTA to update next time, unless you managed to have a backup copy of the unpatched boot.img

Do the usual to unlock your OnePlus 9: oem unlock, usb debugging from developer. Boot into bootloader and use adb command /fastboot flashing unlock

This will wipe your phone and reboot. Setup your phone

Install Magisk from his official github: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.0
    - Topjohn provides full instructions on how to do this yourself as well.

Reboot into bootloader

Flash boot the magisk modified boot.img. /fastboost flash boot boot.img

Go into Magisk app and install via direct install and all done.

Return to stock
    - Restore boot.img from Magisk
    - Uninstall Magisk
    - Flash the stock boot.img
    - Relock the bootloader, will wipe and return to factory reset.

Stock 11.2.33 Boot.img
    Magisk Patched 11.2.33 boot.img

Patched Boot.img for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA)
    Stock Boot.img for Europe (11.2.2.2.LE25DA)

Future Full OTA Updates
    - Update as usual
    - Go into Magisk and choose direct install and then install to inactive slot after OTA
    - This will retain root

How to do it yourself:

Download full OTA, usually Oxygen Updater App, XDA has links or from https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade

Download Payload Dumper

Extract and place payload.bin in input folder
    output.jpg

Run the payload_dumper.exe

In the output folder will be boot.img, move that onto your phone, folder of your choice

Go to Magisk app, click install
    Choose Select and Patch a File
    Choose the file and it will patch it, Magisk will say where the file is located.
    That is your patched boot.img file. Use that to flash / root your phone.

Remember only have do this once, you don't have to do this again with subsequent updates.
    11.2.4.4LE25AA is out!

2. Reboot
    5. Reboot to bootloader

I uploaded 11.2.6.6DA images here
    This method worked for me, though I'm now running the same issue as Slikkster2k, since I don't have an unpatched boot.img, I can't uninstall magisk to update via OTA.

I would suggest, for those wanting to be able to update in the future (until we get a custom recovery), that instead of /fastboot flash boot boot.img, use /fastboot boot boot.img and then let Magisk finish the install. When Magisk patches the boot image, it will take a backup of the stock one to be used for uninstallation.
    I'm on 11.2.7.7.LE25BA Europe version and I just made an img for use with this guide if you want to save yourselves the trouble of making one: