[Root] OS 4, 5.0.n and Install Lollipop & Gapps ("Newbie Friendly")

Search This thread

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
This guide is for never-rooted 2014 Fire HDs. Don't use it on any 2015 (5th gen) Fire. If your Fire has an sd card slot, go here.

Mar 3 Update: This guide is out of date. It could brick you! Don't use it!
Instead, follow one of these guides:
http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/root-os-5-1-2-kingroot-tools-play-store-t3371824
http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950

Ignore these hidden text boxes

Feb. 5, 2016 Update: Don't use this to root OS 5.1.1 yet. It needs to be updated!!

Jan. 18, 2016 Update: Don't use this guide if you are running OS 4.5.5.1.

Look at Settings->Device->System Updates. If it says 4.5.5.1, installing the Developer Preview will brick your device.

Before You Begin:

• OS 4.5.4, 4.5.5 (NOT 4.5.5.1) - Follow these steps to install the Developers Preview (OS 5):
    Here are 2 methods. If you request it from Amazon it could take 24 hours, but if it causes problems you have proof that it downloaded to device. If you don't care about that and want it right now, use method 2.

1/23/16 UPDATE: Developers Preview is no longer available from Amazon. Method 2 is the only option.
    Keep in mind, this is your choice. We can no longer blame Amazon for downloading "bad" firmware to device.
    1/22/16 UPDATE: Use only method 2 until the risk of OTA updating to 4.5.5.1 is over.

METHOD 1 - From Amazon
    1. Go here and request the developers preview: https://developer.amazon.com/public...campaign=FireOSPreview&sc_ detail=GetPreview]
      It could take 24 hours but usually doesn't.
    2. Goto Settings->Device->System Updates and press "Update Now"
      If it doesn't download, wait an hour and try again.

METHOD 2 - From device
    1. Turn OFF wifi.
    2. Get update-kindle-devpreview_ariel-20.5.2.2_user_522041550.bin from here.
    3. Copy/move the update file to device
    4. Goto Settings->Device->System Updates and press "Update Now"
      The file will install. [long startup.]
    5. If you haven't installed adb drivers, do that now and you're ready to go! Be sure to keep wifi off.

Note: If it hasn't booted after 20 minutes--it's stuck at "Fire" logo--hold down Power and Volume-up buttons to get to recovery menu. In recovery, factory reset, wipe cache and then boot to system.
  • OS 4.5.3 - Keep wifi OFF. Put the tablet into airplane mode immediately.
  • OS below 4.5.3 - Follow these steps to install OS 4.5.3:

1. Turn OFF wifi.
    2. Download the 4.5.3 update to pc and copy/move it to device.
    3. Go to Settings->Device->System Updates and press "Update Now."
    4. If you haven't installed adb drivers, do that now and you're ready to go!
  • Install adb device drivers. Here's an illustrated guide for Windows.
    * OS 5.0.n: Install driver for both OS mode and sideload mode.
    * OS 4.5.3: Install driver for OS mode only.)

• If you don't know how to drag & drop or copy/paste into the terminal/CMD window, read this.
This guide simply pulls together existing material, almost none of which is original to me. All thanks go to Powerpoint45, who discovered how to downgrade to rootable OS 4.5.3; bibikalka for the ingenious recovery-swap update method that preserves root; seigesoldier, hawkazn and hariiiii for file captures and fearless testing.
A - Root!
  1. Make sure ADB drivers are installed and adb is enabled in Developer Options.
  2. Turn OFF wifi (airplane mode)
  3. OS 4.5.3 - Download Kingroot (link below), open a terminal/CMD window from the folder you put it in, and go to step 6.
    OS 5.0.n - Download to computer:
    - 4.5.3 update bin: https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-20.4.5.3_user_453011120.bin
    - Kingroot: http://www.kingroot.net/
  4. Downgrade to 4.5.3 (thanks to @powerpoint45):
    a. Connect to computer and open terminal/CMD window from folder containing bin file and kingroot.
    b. Enter: adb reboot recovery
    c. On tablet, use volume buttons to select “apply update from ADB” and then press power.
    d. If you KNOW you have working adb driver for sideload mode, go to step e. Otherwise, see here:
    To see if sideload-mode driver is installed, open Device Manager and see if your adb driver is listed under Android Device.
    - If it is, close this text box and continue the steps.
    - If it IS NOT and you're on Windows, do the following:
    (1) Find KFARWI under "Other devices." NOTE: If you don't see KFARWI under "Other," disconnect/reconnect and look again.
    (2) Right-click KFARWI and select "Update Driver Software." [see Update Driver Software screen].
    (3) Click "Browse my computer" and then "Let me pick from a list . . ." [see Select your device type . . ."]
    (4) Click Android Device. [see "Select the device driver you want . . .]
    (5) Select your usual adb driver from the list, press Next, and say yes at warning screen. [see "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"]
    (6) In CMD window, run adb devices and confirm you see your device ID and "sideload," like this:
    List of devices attached
    SERIALNUMBER sideload​
    If you don't see serial number, reboot tablet and computer and repeat "adb reboot recovery" and "Apply update from ADB" steps. Device should now be recognized.
    e. From computer, enter: adb sideload update-kindle-20.4.5.3_user_453011120.bin
    f. On tablet select "wipe data/factory reset" and then "reboot system" [long startup]​
  5. Enter language in Amazon setup, but skip registration and keep wifi OFF.
  6. On computer, enter commands to block OTA:
    adb shell pm block com.amazon.dcp
    adb shell pm block com.amazon.otaverifier
  7. Install Kingroot from computer: adb install app_filename.apk
  8. Turn on wifi, run Kingroot on Fire and press "root." If you don't get success (100%), keep trying.
    Kingroot works over wifi, so do this where signal strength is best.
    If the latest Kingroot from the link just won't work, try version 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 downloaded from any safe site.​
  9. On computer, give commands to confirm su access, granting root access on tablet when prompted:
    adb shell
    su

(In Windows, a # prompt indicates root.)
  10. Type exit two times to get out of su.
B - Install TWRP and Get Files for the Upgrade
  1. Download JMZ's ariel TWRP image to the Fire's download folder (or to computer and move to tablet).
  2. Download Flashify v 1.9.1 to computer folder where you opened CMD window.
  3. Install Flashify from computer: adb install app_filename.apk
  4. Run Flashify on Fire and install the ariel TWRP.
    If you have any question, follow the steps here. You must select Recovery image and Choose a File, and navigate to the ariel image.
  5. Boot to recovery and confirm you're in TWRP:
    adb command = adb reboot recovery; manual = power off, hold power & volume-up buttons until Amazon logo appears and then let go.
  6. Tap Reboot, then System to boot back to OS.
  7. Delete anything in tablet Download folder and get files for the upgrade.

Files for the Upgrade
    Please hit Thanks when you pick up a file from an XDA site :)

Download apks to computer for later install.
    - SuperSU: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/supersu/supersu-2-52-android-apk-download/
    - ES File Explorer: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/es-glo...file-explorer-4-0-2-3-3-android-apk-download/

Download to tablet (or to computer and move to tablet Download folder):
    Take care here: Be sure to get the right files and that they all download completely.
    - 5.2.2u2 UPDATE BIN (linked in the post) This is update-kindle-full_ariel-20.5.2.2_user_522053520.bin
    Confirm downloaded filename matches the above and then rename the extension from .bin to .zip.
    - 5.2.0 STOCK RECOVERY ONLY (5.2.0_stock_recovery_only.zip - attached to post) AND . . .
    - MAKE_SPACE (make_space_v01.zip - attached to post)
    - Latest PICO-uni GAPPS: Get "tk_gapps-modular-pico-5.1.1(uni)-5.1.1-*-signed.zip"

C - Upgrade to OS 5.0.1 and Install Gapps
  • Bibikalka's Lollipop guide has info about the upgrade (and a Thanks button we all ought to hit!)
  • The boots into recovery and the OS can take a long time; don't interrupt them (by trying to manually reboot, e.g.)

1. Turn OFF wifi and connect to computer.
  2. Boot to recovery. (Manually or "adb reboot recovery" from pc).
    [TWRP screen displayed on tablet.]
  3. In TWRP, do following exactly and if you have any problem, post immediately and wait for reply :
    a. Factory reset (Tap Wipe and swipe "Swipe to Factory Reset." At "Successful," tap TWRP home icon at bottom-left)
    b. Install the update-kindle-full_ariel-20.5.2.2 UPDATE zip
    . . (Tap Install button, navigate to Downloads folder and tap the UPDATE zip. Repeat for the following zips.)
    c. Install the 5.2.0 STOCK RECOVERY ONLY zip
    d. Install the MAKE_SPACE zip
    e. Install the GAPPS zip
    f. Tap Reboot > Recovery and when prompted (top of screen) "install SuperSU?," swipe the slider to install it!
    [long startup]
    You're now running rooted OS 5.0.1 and TWRP is gone. If you need it again, see here. Do not try to reinstall TWRP with Flashify. (Brick!)
  4. Confirm you see stock 5.2.0 recovery.
    If tablet doesn't boot to recovery or is still booting after 30 minutes, post in bibikalka's Lollipop thread
  5. Reboot to system [takes at least 10 minutes] and when prompted on tablet to allow USB debugging, say "yes"
    - If you miss "Allow USB debugging" prompt, unplug/replug to see it
    - If tablet bootloops or is still booting after 40 minutes, see step 4 in bibikalka's Lollipop thread
  6. At Setup screen, press Exit (or choose language if required). Do not connect to wifi; tap COMPLETE SETUP LATER.
D - Install the Apps, Block OTA and Open Play Store
  1. On computer, open terminal/CMD window from folder containing ES File Explorer and SuperSU apks and install each with this command:
    adb install -r app_filename.apk
  2. On tablet:
    a. Enable apps from unknown sources in Settings > Security.
    b. Run File Explorer and enable Root Explorer (in menu under Tools), granting root access when prompted.
    c. Run SuperSU to update binaries and reboot when prompted.
    . . [If SuperSU gives choice of "CWM/TWRP" or "Normal," choose Normal]
  3. Block OTA:
    a. In the terminal/CMD window, enter these commands granting root access on tablet after the su command:
    adb shell
    su
    pm disable com.amazon.otaverifier
    pm enable com.amazon.dcp <--(renables dcp from Section A. This block is not needed after you do the next step.)​
    b. Use File Explorer on tablet to navigate to /system/priv-app/DeviceSoftwareOTA and rename extension of DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to .apk_
  4. Turn on wifi, open Play Store and sign in.
  5. Register the Fire HD with Amazon.
Whew! Yay! :victory:

Last edited:

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Some brave soul still needs to try to flash GAPPS during the 5.2.0 install in TWRP :D

If that fails, one will have to downgrade to 4.5.3, root, and get back to 5.2.0. So 20 minutes tops, not the end of the world ...

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Yes, purposefully didn't put it in cuz untested. I'm thinking about it per your post at other thread. Just need to gird my loins :D

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas
In Section C Step 7 adb returns failure due to the app already existing. When I was in Step 3f TWRP gave me the option to skip root install or to install SuperSu, which it only does the installer and that requires Google Play or TWRP to complete the installation. What should I do there?

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
In Section C Step 7 adb returns failure due to the app already existing. When I was in Step 3f TWRP gave me the option to skip root install or to install SuperSu, which it only does the installer and that requires Google Play or TWRP to complete the installation. What should I do there?
As the first line says, This guide is only for Fire HDs running the unrooted Developer Preview of Lollipop. I will clarify that. Since you had SuperSU installed, at C7 use "adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk." I assume you said yes at step 3f when prompted to root, but I do not understand this phrase, "which it only does the installer and that requires Google Play or TWRP to complete the installation."

Reactions: ROMAddiction

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas
As the first line says, This guide is only for Fire HDs running the unrooted Developer Preview of Lollipop. I will clarify that. Since you had SuperSU installed, at C7 use "adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk." I assume you said yes at step 3f when prompted to root, but I do not understand this phrase, "which it only does the installer and that requires Google Play or TWRP to complete the installation."

Yeah, I started out with my Fire on the developer's build and have been working my way back to it with root. I did say yes at step 3f and TWRP then installed a SuperSu Installer App. When you tap on the app it says it will install SuperSU but either from the Google Play Store or through TWRP. This is where I'm stuck because I can't install it from the Play Store or from TWRP, nor can I use ADB and install it from there because it says that SuperSu is already on my Fire.

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Forums Pro.

Last edited:

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Yeah, I started out with my Fire on the developer's build and have been working my way back to it with root.
If you were on 4.5.4 and wanted to get to rooted 5.2.0, this is the guide you wanted: http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950. But I thought you had done that and that's when you lost recovery. Oh, well, doesn't matter now, as long as you were able to boot to stock recovery at step C4.

Did you reinstall superSU with "adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk." as said in my last post? (Notice the -r) Please do that and continue the steps. Let me know if "adb shell" "su" does not show you're rooted. If step 13 insists on Play Store, skip that step, finish the guide and run SuperSU after Gapps is installed. Please let me know if you have to skip step 13, so I can edit the guide. Thank you.

. . . Since you had SuperSU installed, at C7 use "adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk."

Reactions: ROMAddiction

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas
If you were on 4.5.4 and wanted to get to rooted 5.2.0, this is the guide you wanted: http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950. But I thought you had done that and that's when you lost recovery. Oh, well, doesn't matter now, as long as you were able to boot to stock recovery at step C4.

Did you reinstall superSU with "adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk." as said in my last post? (Notice the -r) Please do that and continue the steps. Let me know if "adb shell" "su" does not show you're rooted. If step 13 insists on Play Store, skip that step, finish the guide and run SuperSU after Gapps is installed. Please let me know if you have to skip step 13, so I can edit the guide. Thank you.

Ah, no I had been updated to 4.5.5 the other day and was wanting to roll back and root my Fire to make it much more useful to me. Signed up as a Developer to get it to update me to the 5.2 update and then followed the steps here to get me rooted and back to 4.5.3, etc.

I did the adb install -r with the apk and it loaded, but not in the app drawer. I could find it in Settings under Apps but the App Info wouldn't let me do anything like Force Stop or Clear Cache. Thinking that I may have to start back over from the beginning to fix this. Always make some sort of screw up when I do this sort of thing. Hopefully I won't have to bother you with anything again. I'll check to see if abd shell will tell me if I'm good and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
I did the adb install -r with the apk and it loaded, but not in the app drawer. I could find it in Settings under Apps but the App Info wouldn't let me do anything like Force Stop or Clear Cache. Thinking that I may have to start back over from the beginning to fix this. Always make some sort of screw up when I do this sort of thing. Hopefully I won't have to bother you with anything again. I'll check to see if abd shell will tell me if I'm good and get back to you. Thanks for the help!.
Please do "bother" me again. You're first to use this.

Please confirm you got into recovery OK. Also, do step 8 and post result from su command.

Don't worry about the superSU app right now. Just post above, then finish the steps, skipping running superSU. Please do not start back from the beginning.Thank you.

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas

Please confirm you got into recovery OK. Also, do step 8 and post result from su command.

Don't worry about the superSU app right now. Just post above, then finish the steps, skipping running superSU. Please do not start back from the beginning.Thank you.

Alright! When I get home tonight I'll complete the rest of the steps as best as possible.

meganoahj

Dec 30, 2014
Right! Did you do that--flash 5.2.0 UPDATE, RECOVERY then GAPPS before rebooting to 5.2.0 recovery? Bibikalka and I have been wanting to know if that'd been tested yet. thanks.

Yes i done that, now you have The new lollipop Google Login when you add a Google account
And All works play Services updating and All fine (im on OS 5 with root,tkgapps,xposed framework)

Last edited:

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Yes i done that, now you have The new lollipop Google Login when you add a Google account
And All works play Services updating and All fine (im on OS 5 with root,tkgapps,xposed framework)
Hey, :) that's great! Couple questions:
You got Gapps from here? http://xdaforums.com/android/software/tk-gapps-t3116347/post60944096#post60944096
Which package?
Do you know how much space you had left in /system after the update (and before you added anything else)?
Any chance you flashed Xposed at same time?
@bibikalka will also be glad to hear this! Thanks!

ROMAddiction

Jan 17, 2015
Dallas

When I perform: option: adb shell
su
It returns 1|shell@ariel:/ $

I'm going to try "option: adb install -r name_of_your_supersu.apk" here and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: That did it! SuperSu installed, Google Play Store/Services installed, and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoLooper

meganoahj

Dec 30, 2014
Hey, :) that's great! Couple questions:
You got Gapps from here? http://xdaforums.com/android/software/tk-gapps-t3116347/post60944096#post60944096
Which package?
Do you know how much space you had left in /system after the update (and before you added anything else)?
Any chance you flashed Xposed at same time?
@bibikalka will also be glad to hear this! Thanks!

Yes i got gapps from There
Gapps: Pico Modular Package (Proper DPI Play Services)
I flashed xposed after the reboot to fire os 5 (back to twrp method)
but i think you can flash xposed after the gapps!
And i dont Know the space free in /system cuz im installed gapps directly after flashing the Update!

meganoahj

Dec 30, 2014
Ah sorry i forget that after i flashed xposed framework anytime my fire boots i got the android is upgrading screen
10 seconds long

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
I flashed xposed after the reboot to fire os 5 (back to twrp method)
but i think you can flash xposed after the gapps!
And i dont Know the space free in /system cuz im installed gapps directly after flashing the Update!

I meant how much space in /system after you got back to OS :), after the upgrade and before deleting/adding any system apps. So, how much space in /system now?

Ah sorry i forget that after i flashed xposed framework anytime my fire boots i got the android is upgrading screen
10 seconds long
I got Xposed same way as you and don't get that. Maybe it's a module you installed(?)

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
Other than Kingroot taking forever and Xposed refusing to flash in TWRP everything went great and I was finally able to install all my apps from the Play Store on my wife's tablet following this guide.

Many thanks!

meganoahj

Dec 30, 2014
I meant how much space in /system after you got back to OS :), after the upgrade and before deleting/adding any system apps. So, how much space in /system now?

I got Xposed same way as you and don't get that. Maybe it's a module you installed(?)

With gapps + xposed is 49.8 mb free in /system

I had the upgrading screen also without an Module

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for never-rooted 2014 Fire HDs. Don't use it on any 2015 (5th gen) Fire. If your Fire has an sd card slot, go here.

Mar 3 Update: This guide is out of date. It could brick you! Don't use it!
    Instead, follow one of these guides:
    http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/root-os-5-1-2-kingroot-tools-play-store-t3371824
    http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950

Ignore these hidden text boxes

Feb. 5, 2016 Update: Don't use this to root OS 5.1.1 yet. It needs to be updated!!

Look at Settings->Device->System Updates. If it says 4.5.5.1, installing the Developer Preview will brick your device.

Before You Begin:

• OS 4.5.4, 4.5.5 (NOT 4.5.5.1) - Follow these steps to install the Developers Preview (OS 5):
      Here are 2 methods. If you request it from Amazon it could take 24 hours, but if it causes problems you have proof that it downloaded to device. If you don't care about that and want it right now, use method 2.

1/23/16 UPDATE: Developers Preview is no longer available from Amazon. Method 2 is the only option.
      Keep in mind, this is your choice. We can no longer blame Amazon for downloading "bad" firmware to device.
      1/22/16 UPDATE: Use only method 2 until the risk of OTA updating to 4.5.5.1 is over.

METHOD 1 - From Amazon
      1. Go here and request the developers preview: https://developer.amazon.com/public...campaign=FireOSPreview&sc_ detail=GetPreview]

METHOD 2 - From device
      1. Turn OFF wifi.
      5. If you haven't installed adb drivers, do that now and you're ready to go! Be sure to keep wifi off.

Note: If it hasn't booted after 20 minutes--it's stuck at "Fire" logo--hold down Power and Volume-up buttons to get to recovery menu. In recovery, factory reset, wipe cache and then boot to system.

1. Turn OFF wifi.

• If you don't know how to drag & drop or copy/paste into the terminal/CMD window, read this.
    This guide simply pulls together existing material, almost none of which is original to me. All thanks go to Powerpoint45, who discovered how to downgrade to rootable OS 4.5.3; bibikalka for the ingenious recovery-swap update method that preserves root; seigesoldier, hawkazn and hariiiii for file captures and fearless testing.
    A - Root!
    3. OS 4.5.3 - Download Kingroot (link below), open a terminal/CMD window from the folder you put it in, and go to step 6.
      - 4.5.3 update bin: https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-20.4.5.3_user_453011120.bin
      a. Connect to computer and open terminal/CMD window from folder containing bin file and kingroot.
      c. On tablet, use volume buttons to select “apply update from ADB” and then press power.
      d. If you KNOW you have working adb driver for sideload mode, go to step e. Otherwise, see here:
      To see if sideload-mode driver is installed, open Device Manager and see if your adb driver is listed under Android Device.
      (1) Find KFARWI under "Other devices." NOTE: If you don't see KFARWI under "Other," disconnect/reconnect and look again.
      (2) Right-click KFARWI and select "Update Driver Software." [see Update Driver Software screen].
      (3) Click "Browse my computer" and then "Let me pick from a list . . ." [see Select your device type . . ."]
      (5) Select your usual adb driver from the list, press Next, and say yes at warning screen. [see "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"]
      (6) In CMD window, run adb devices and confirm you see your device ID and "sideload," like this:
      List of devices attached
      SERIALNUMBER sideload​
      If you don't see serial number, reboot tablet and computer and repeat "adb reboot recovery" and "Apply update from ADB" steps. Device should now be recognized.
      f. On tablet select "wipe data/factory reset" and then "reboot system" [long startup]​
    8. Turn on wifi, run Kingroot on Fire and press "root." If you don't get success (100%), keep trying.
      If the latest Kingroot from the link just won't work, try version 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 downloaded from any safe site.​
    9. On computer, give commands to confirm su access, granting root access on tablet when prompted:
      adb shell
      su

1. Download JMZ's ariel TWRP image to the Fire's download folder (or to computer and move to tablet).
      If you have any question, follow the steps here. You must select Recovery image and Choose a File, and navigate to the ariel image.
      adb command = adb reboot recovery; manual = power off, hold power & volume-up buttons until Amazon logo appears and then let go.

Files for the Upgrade

- SuperSU: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/chainfire/supersu/supersu-2-52-android-apk-download/
      - ES File Explorer: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/es-glo...file-explorer-4-0-2-3-3-android-apk-download/

Take care here: Be sure to get the right files and that they all download completely.
      - 5.2.2u2 UPDATE BIN (linked in the post) This is update-kindle-full_ariel-20.5.2.2_user_522053520.bin
      Confirm downloaded filename matches the above and then rename the extension from .bin to .zip.
      - 5.2.0 STOCK RECOVERY ONLY (5.2.0_stock_recovery_only.zip - attached to post) AND . . .
      - Latest PICO-uni GAPPS: Get "tk_gapps-modular-pico-5.1.1(uni)-5.1.1-*-signed.zip"

• Bibikalka's Lollipop guide has info about the upgrade (and a Thanks button we all ought to hit!)
    • The boots into recovery and the OS can take a long time; don't interrupt them (by trying to manually reboot, e.g.)

3. In TWRP, do following exactly and if you have any problem, post immediately and wait for reply :
      a. Factory reset (Tap Wipe and swipe "Swipe to Factory Reset." At "Successful," tap TWRP home icon at bottom-left)
      . . (Tap Install button, navigate to Downloads folder and tap the UPDATE zip. Repeat for the following zips.)
      e. Install the GAPPS zip
      f. Tap Reboot > Recovery and when prompted (top of screen) "install SuperSU?," swipe the slider to install it!
      [long startup]
      You're now running rooted OS 5.0.1 and TWRP is gone. If you need it again, see here. Do not try to reinstall TWRP with Flashify. (Brick!)
      If tablet doesn't boot to recovery or is still booting after 30 minutes, post in bibikalka's Lollipop thread
    5. Reboot to system [takes at least 10 minutes] and when prompted on tablet to allow USB debugging, say "yes"
      - If tablet bootloops or is still booting after 40 minutes, see step 4 in bibikalka's Lollipop thread
    6. At Setup screen, press Exit (or choose language if required). Do not connect to wifi; tap COMPLETE SETUP LATER.
    1. On computer, open terminal/CMD window from folder containing ES File Explorer and SuperSU apks and install each with this command:
    2. On tablet:
      b. Run File Explorer and enable Root Explorer (in menu under Tools), granting root access when prompted.
    3. Block OTA:
      a. In the terminal/CMD window, enter these commands granting root access on tablet after the su command:
      adb shell
      su
      pm enable com.amazon.dcp <--(renables dcp from Section A. This block is not needed after you do the next step.)​
      b. Use File Explorer on tablet to navigate to /system/priv-app/DeviceSoftwareOTA and rename extension of DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk to .apk_
    Somehow I got King root to root 4.5.5.1 Kindle

Feb. 5, 2016 Update: Don't use this to root OS 5.1.1 yet. It needs to be tested first!

Before You Begin:

METHOD 1 - From Amazon
      METHOD 2 - From device
      1. Turn OFF wifi.

1. Turn OFF wifi.

A - Root!
      List of devices attached
      SERIALNUMBER sideload​
      adb shell
      su

Files for the Upgrade

e. Install the GAPPS zip
      [long startup]
    2. On tablet:
    3. Block OTA:
      adb shell
      su

Somehow I got King root to root 4.5.5.1 Kindle hd 6, root has been successful. Now I want to ask where do I pick up, I want to install android and google plus, and google apps.
    I was unable to boot past "fire" but I was able to boot to recovery. What's next? :)

Sideload 4.5.3, and root it via Kingroot.
    Hi DoLooper,

Just wanted to clarify something. I'm in the exact same situation as cmm324. Received a tablet on Saturday for myself and updated via this thread (thank you!) then received another one today for my daughter. She played around with it a while, but wanted her tablet to look like mine, so I was going to update hers as well. Thankfully, I read your red bold letter warning and checked my os version (4.5.5.1 :s). Thanks again. So no upgrade for her right now, but is it safe to have her tablet connected to wifi since we are both on the same account and I signed up for the developer preview? The developer update has to be installed manually right? Won't go OTA?

All of our fire tablets (4) are on the same account, however you have to individually opt-in to the dev preview for each device. So, if you only opted in your tablet, then you are fine, hers can operate as normal;.
    I'm a little confused by the warning at the top of this thread - so is it safe to follow this method to root an un-tampered with kindle fire 7 hd?

Same question but Fire 6 HD. I have a new one that has never had anything done to it, except the OTA 4.5.4 update.
    No one should use this guide right now. It requires you to upgrade to OS 5 in TWRP after installing the latest developers preview. This currently causes hard bricks. More info here. We're hoping to capture this preview file so bibikalka can figure out the problem and we can start using this method again. For now, here are your choices:

OS 4.5.4 and greater can be rooted, but the highest OS that can be installed is 4.5.5. This does give you root and Gapps. See guide here.

OS 4.5.3 and below can be rooted directly (no need for the developer preview in order to downgrade), so either 4.5.5 or Lollipop can be installed. Use bibikalka's upgrade guides.