• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT] Patched boot.img for Android 11 (Both OP8 and OP8P)

Search This thread

Holair

Dec 24, 2016
Moscow
Still can't get root with this new version of Magisk Manager app 8.0.2 (307) :(
Downloaded .img from this thread, patched or not it again via Magisk app and flashed both a and b slots - it won't show root is active after reboot. IN11AA
SafetyNet not passing. Any thoughts?

Update: Oh wow this is stupid. I've selected boot.img multiple times via OP File Manager to patch it again and it won't give me root. Now I've selected it via base selector screen, which won't launch any other app and it worked. Really dumb thing.

Last edited:

-Already Exist-

Jul 12, 2013
Niksic
I managed to finally get root on my global op8 pro. Posting this here to hopefully help others who may still be trying to achieve root on A11.

Even though I disabled all of my magisk modules prior to upgrading from a10 to a11 i guess there were still some remnants from one of them because no matter what I did (flashing community-provided patched images or extracting and patching/flashing) my device just bootlooped until i flashed the stock .img again.

I went to https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3292 and saw that people with pixels were having the same issue and then saw that someone succeeded by running "adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" during the boot animation after flashing the patched boot image so I tried that and low and behold my device rebooted and was rooted using magisk v21 (beta).

Hopefully this helps others.

Thank you very much!
This method worked, I'm on 8.0.2 (307) version of Magisk Manager, with patched boot.

MonkeyMouth

Feb 26, 2011
Laveen
I've been able to get root on android 11 ob1 and 2. But for some reason 3 is giving me trouble. Downloaded the full update. Dumped the payload. Used Magisk canery to patch. Flashed with adb and still no root. Am I missing something?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I've been able to get root on android 11 ob1 and 2. But for some reason 3 is giving me trouble. Downloaded the full update. Dumped the payload. Used Magisk canery to patch. Flashed with adb and still no root. Am I missing something?
Ok so you're flashing it to both slots?

Have you tried to boot the img instead??

Obviously don't reboot but try a root app after booting the img.

If you've obtained root then go ahead and direct install using magisk.

If that still doesn't work then it will be the version of magisk you're using.

You said you're using canary, have you tried the version in my first post?

Try just to boot it using that too.

Also its Fastboot you should be using not adb.

Here's the command for booting (also in the OP)

Fastboot boot magisk_patched

(Change the magisk_patched part to whatever your patched boot img has been called, magisk_patched is the default)

You need to have reboot to Fastboot mode to boot the img, you can use an adb command when the phone is in the system to get there.

Fastboot reboot bootloader

Good luck pal.

PS: also check the size of the outputted IMG when you patch it.. make sure it's identical in size after you copy it out to your computer.

If that still doesn't work then clear up your potential magisk modules that may not have been cleared.

Command is in the last section of the OP as well as when to execute it..

Last edited:

MonkeyMouth

Feb 26, 2011
Laveen
Ok so you're flashing it to both slots?

Have you tried to boot the img instead??

Obviously don't reboot but try a root app after booting the img.

If you've obtained root then go ahead and direct install using magisk.

If that still doesn't work then it will be the version of magisk you're using.

You said you're using canary, have you tried the version in my first post?

Try just to boot it using that too.

Also its Fastboot you should be using not adb.

Here's the command for booting (also in the OP)

Fastboot boot magisk_patched

(Change the magisk_patched part to whatever your patched boot img has been called, magisk_patched is the default)

You need to have reboot to Fastboot mode to boot the img, you can use an adb command when the phone is in the system to get there.

Fastboot reboot bootloader

Good luck pal.

PS: also check the size of the outputted IMG when you patch it.. make sure it's identical in size after you copy it out to your computer.

If that still doesn't work then clear up your potential magisk modules that may not have been cleared.

Command is in the last section of the OP as well as when to execute it..

I've only patched via phone with canery. I didn't know there was another method lol. But I've noticed that my patched img is basically half the size of the original.

Never flashed slot b. Mainly because a always worked and I didn't know how.

The Magisk in your OP doesn't give me the option to install. So not sure where to go from there.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I've only patched via phone with canery. I didn't know there was another method lol. But I've noticed that my patched img is basically half the size of the original.

Never flashed slot b. Mainly because a always worked and I didn't know how.

The Magisk in your OP doesn't give me the option to install. So not sure where to go from there.

Repatch the img

After booting it

Gcorr003

May 9, 2015
Newbie here

That's what I had to do, too. I flashed it just as downloaded and didn't have root, so I moved it to my phone, patched it, back onto computer, fastboot flashed it, and good to go. Now if Swift Installer will update, I'll be all set.
Sorry but, could you dumb it down a bit? I lost root access earlier after updating you android 11 and I have been trying to get it back all day.
So far I understand that I should take the file the creator of this post provided and put it on my phone's folder. What does it mean to "patch" a file?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Sorry but, could you dumb it down a bit? I lost root access earlier after updating you android 11 and I have been trying to get it back all day.
So far I understand that I should take the file the creator of this post provided and put it on my phone's folder. What does it mean to "patch" a file?

If you're having a hard time with latching a file, how are you going to be with the msm tool if it goes wrong?

Have a look at my guide here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8-pro/how-to/root-uk-eu-patched-magisk-boot-img-t4175033

That explains it in depth what's going on.

You want the 1st section.

Then 3rd method 1

That's it

Last edited:

Pekeltje91

Sep 17, 2020
Patched and stock boot.img from Android 11 update from today (OnePlus8ProOxygen_15.E.31_OTA_0310_all_2011010124 _d85208) for the OnePlus 8 Pro EU model, known as IN2023.
Stock boot.img: test.jordykroeze.com/oneplus/android11_v2/boot.img
Magisk patched boot.img with Magisk 21.0: test.jordykroeze.com/oneplus/android11_v2/magisk_patched.img

PS: What is the best place to upload things like this?

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Patched and stock boot.img from Android 11 update from today (OnePlus8ProOxygen_15.E.31_OTA_0310_all_2011010124 _d85208) for the OnePlus 8 Pro EU model, known as IN2023.
Stock boot.img: test.jordykroeze.com/oneplus/android11_v2/boot.img
Magisk patched boot.img with Magisk 21.0: test.jordykroeze.com/oneplus/android11_v2/magisk_patched.img

PS: What is the best place to upload things like this?

I use mega.nz personally, free and fast. 50GB for free.

Top Liked Posts