[CLOSED] Root Pixel 3 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ilarson007

Jun 19, 2014
I would think as long as you unlocked your bootloader you should be good.
This will work with the Verizon factory image too, right? I bought the unlocked version (non-Verizon) and unlocked the bootloader but the phone went ahead and grabbed PD1A.180720.031 as a software update (which enabled Wi-Fi calling, I think) after I threw my Verizon SIM in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cambunch

Sep 11, 2009
This will work with the Verizon factory image too, right? I bought the unlocked version (non-Verizon) and unlocked the bootloader but the phone went ahead and grabbed PD1A.180720.031 as a software update (which enabled Wi-Fi calling, I think) after I threw my Verizon SIM in.

I manually pulled the boot.img from the PD1A.180720.031 factory image and patched it. It rooted just fine but is showing as PD1A.180720.030 and has a system update pending that is failing to install.

rohmbd

Jul 14, 2010
Can't get it to work for me. I can't even get 17.3 to install on my 2 XL through the app. Switched to the canary channel and now I have 17.4 etc installed on the 3 XL.....Seems ok so far. I just don't know why I can't get 17.3 to work on either device....Don't know if it matters but my device (Google store version) pulled a system update and I think updated itself to the Verizon version when I first put in my sim.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181021-071248.png
    Screenshot_20181021-071248.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Reactions: State.of.mind

KuddaN

Dec 11, 2017
Can't get it to work for me. I can't even get 17.3 to install on my 2 XL through the app. Switched to the canary channel and now I have 17.4 etc installed on the 3 XL.....Seems ok so far. I just don't know why I can't get 17.3 to work on either device....Don't know if it matters but my device (Google store version) pulled a system update and I think updated itself to the Verizon version when I first put in my sim.

Did you root first and then put your sim card in? Or did you load your sim 1st and then try to root?

I'm asking because I bought an unlocked phone from Google, got it Friday and immediately unlocked the bootloader but then sat on doing anything with it until I was able to root the phone. I rooted it last night and everything seemed good until I installed my Verizon sim card and now I have a system update pending install that keeps failing and the notification will not go away unless I block my system update notifications...

Not sure I should just do that and move along or if I really need that update for some reason. Anyone have input here?

Last edited:

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro

rohmbd

Jul 14, 2010
No root love here. I tried following the instructions at
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/ but the bootloader won't boot with the magisk patched image and just stays at the bootloader until I flash the factory boot. Ugh. Frustration!

EDIT: Got it working with Topjohnwu's Canary channel for Magisk. All's good here!

Cheers,
B.D.

Same thing happened to me.....I cant even get 17.3 to install on my 2 XL.....Every time I try it just boots back up with 17.2 still installed.

Canary FTW....I'll most likely stay on this version until a 17.3 update is released or a beta 17.4. I'm not going to mess with a good thing.

ilarson007

Jun 19, 2014
I bought mine from Google directly and am also on Verizon. I downloaded the non-Verizon image to patch the boot image. I too got a notification for pending system update that failed, but now it says my system is up to date.
Did you root first and then put your sim card in? Or did you load your sim 1st and then try to root?

I'm asking because I bought an unlocked phone from Google, got it Friday and immediately unlocked the bootloader but then sat on doing anything with it until I was able to root the phone. I rooted it last night and everything seemed good until I installed my Verizon sim card and now I have a system update pending install that keeps failing and the notification will not go away unless I block my system update notifications...

Not sure I should just do that and move along or if I really need that update for some reason. Anyone have input here?

KuddaN

Dec 11, 2017
I bought mine from Google directly and am also on Verizon. I downloaded the non-Verizon image to patch the boot image. I too got a notification for pending system update that failed, but now it says my system is up to date.

Did you update your magisk version at all? I'm still on 17.3. did not update to the 17.4 in custom channel.

ilarson007

Jun 19, 2014
No, I patched it with 17.3.
One time it failed because the patched image was about half the size it should be. It should be about 30MB when you're done patching it.
Did you update your magisk version at all? I'm still on 17.3. did not update to the 17.4 in custom channel.

mattj949

Nov 19, 2010
I too had to use the Canary channel to get it to work (17.4). I'm on the Non-Verizon version on Verizon. Installed Build is 180720.031

georgewillims

Oct 18, 2013
How are you setting the Canary channel in Magisk?

No root love here. I tried following the instructions at
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/ but the bootloader won't boot with the magisk patched image and just stays at the bootloader until I flash the factory boot. Ugh. Frustration!

EDIT: Got it working with Topjohnwu's Canary channel for Magisk. All's good here!

Cheers,
B.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts