• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root Pixel 3a on LineageOS with Magisk

Search This thread

_yoxd

Mar 21, 2021
Hello!

I want to root a degoogleifyed Pixel 3a on LineageOS 17.1 using Magisk, but I'm not sure to understand which boot.img use for this.
For an other phone, I found the boot.img in the last nightly build on lineageosroms.com. The sargo one don't seem to contain it.

I've already read some how to (like this one), but I would like to have confirmation that it apply to LineageOS. Could some confirm that I should:
1. download the boot.img directly from Google
2. patch it with Magisk
3. reboot into fastboot mode
4. flash the phone with command:
fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img

Sorry in advance if the answer seems obvious. My English is not very good and I start with these manipulations, so I'm a little afraid of miss something.

Reactions: BlueShanka

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hello!

I want to root a degoogleifyed Pixel 3a on LineageOS 17.1 using Magisk, but I'm not sure to understand which boot.img use for this.
For an other phone, I found the boot.img in the last nightly build on lineageosroms.com. The sargo one don't seem to contain it.

I've already read some how to (like this one), but I would like to have confirmation that it apply to LineageOS. Could some confirm that I should:
2. patch it with Magisk

Sorry in advance if the answer seems obvious. My English is not very good and I start with these manipulations, so I'm a little afraid of miss something.
The boot.img is in the firmware but must be extracted to get to it. Since it is different than stock, you should use it, if needed. I can get it for you later. This wasn't zipped, just renamed by afding .zip to the end so it would upload.

Attachments

• bootlineage.img.zip
    64 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

_yoxd

Mar 21, 2021
Thank you Tulsadiver! Your answer helped me to understand what to do.

In case it could help someone else, that's what I did:
1. download the last nightly build on https://download.lineageos.org/sargo
2. unzip it
3. dump the boot.img from the payload.bin using this guide (if you use Linux)
4. patch the boot.img with Magisk
5. reboot the phone into fastboot mode:
adb reboot fastboot
6. flash the phone with commands:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

The phone is now rooted!

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
I installed Lineage and rooted it last night. I followed the instructions and patched the stock boot.img from Google. Boy was that mistake! My digitizer stopped working. I then patched the Lineage RECOVERY image from the Lineage website. Now my phone is rooted perfectly!

flash713

I installed Lineage and rooted it last night. I followed the instructions and patched the stock boot.img from Google. Boy was that mistake! My digitizer stopped working. I then patched the Lineage RECOVERY image from the Lineage website. Now my phone is rooted perfectly!
Roger that. Download the Lineage recovery image that's dated same as the Lineage rom build you are using and patch it using magisk manager and flash to boot partition. sudo fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-2021xxxx.recovery.img --slot all (enter) You should be good then. Both boot and recovery sort of reside in the same place (boot) as there is no longer a recovery partition on A/B partition devices and everything nowadays that's Android is A/B partition. Works for me on my Pixels.

Reactions: ackliph

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

2. patch it with Magisk

Thank you Tulsadiver! Your answer helped me to understand what to do.

In case it could help someone else, that's what I did:
    1. download the last nightly build on https://download.lineageos.org/sargo
    2. unzip it
    3. dump the boot.img from the payload.bin using this guide (if you use Linux)
    4. patch the boot.img with Magisk
    5. reboot the phone into fastboot mode:
    adb reboot fastboot
    6. flash the phone with commands:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

The phone is now rooted!
    Roger that. Download the Lineage recovery image that's dated same as the Lineage rom build you are using and patch it using magisk manager and flash to boot partition. sudo fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-2021xxxx.recovery.img --slot all (enter) You should be good then. Both boot and recovery sort of reside in the same place (boot) as there is no longer a recovery partition on A/B partition devices and everything nowadays that's Android is A/B partition. Works for me on my Pixels.