• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Root][Port] Cf-Autoroot T700 [Tab S 8.4]

Search This thread

Brokeddid It

Apr 4, 2011
If anyone is curious if this works on the latest build, here are my findings.....

I updated my GALAXY Tab S 8.4 Wi-Fi (SM-T700 XAR) via odin from SamMobile site.

Model: SM-T700
Model name: GALAXY Tab S 8.4 Wi-Fi
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:44:24 +0000
Product Code: XAR
PDA: T700XXU1ANK2
CSC: T700XAR1ANJ1
MODEM: T700XXU1ANK2

Once first boot completed, I followed the cf-autoroot instructions and achieved root on first try.
Haven't run into any issues over the past few days.

You were one of the lucky ones.
Have tried this on 2 tab s 8.4's in the house with the Nov. 5 build same as yours. It's a no go.
Tried the official CF and Bean's scripts, different driver packages, downgraded odin back to 3.09.3, was using 3.10 to no avail.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

mb27

Aug 17, 2010
You were one of the lucky ones.
Have tried this on 2 tab s 8.4's in the house with the Nov. 5 build same as yours. It's a no go.
Tried the official CF and Bean's scripts, different driver packages, downgraded odin back to 3.09.3, was using 3.10 to no avail.

I guess I got lucky too then. I was a bit concerned when I read this as I had just ordered a Tab S 8.4 the other day. Well it arrived today and came with a Nov 5 NK2 but I had absolutely no issues rooting it. I used the version of Odin 3.07 that came with the autoroot package.

bynarie

Aug 2, 2013
Hilliard OH
OnePlus 7T
Whats the point?

Not trying to be rude or sound like an ass, but seriously wondering. Why would one use autoroot to root any device? Wouldnt it just be as easy and more efficient to flash twrp via odin, then flash supersu. That way you also have a way to backup your system? What are the benefits to using the auto/cf-root method? Once again, not being sarcastic. I appreciate anything chainfire does, but i honestly see no benefit to using cf-autoroot. I have always installed TWRP first, via fastboot or odin, then flash supersu in it. To me, this seems the most logical way to do things. And, its more universal. Thanks

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
Not trying to be rude or sound like an ass, but seriously wondering. Why would one use autoroot to root any device? Wouldnt it just be as easy and more efficient to flash twrp via odin, then flash supersu. That way you also have a way to backup your system? What are the benefits to using the auto/cf-root method? Once again, not being sarcastic. I appreciate anything chainfire does, but i honestly see no benefit to using cf-autoroot. I have always installed TWRP first, via fastboot or odin, then flash supersu in it. To me, this seems the most logical way to do things. And, its more universal. Thanks

1. CF-AutoRoot was the first method to provide root here. The custom recoveries were a distant last.

2. There still will be some users who don't care for custom revovery, just to use their favorite root app. Not all are heavy tweakers, modders and flashaholics.

bynarie

Aug 2, 2013
Hilliard OH
OnePlus 7T
1. CF-AutoRoot was the first method to provide root here. The custom recoveries were a distant last.

2. There still will be some users who don't care for custom revovery, just to use their favorite root app. Not all are heavy tweakers, modders and flashaholics.

Ok that makes sense. I thought about it later and realized it also is probably good for users who arent as experienced and would like to go for convenience. Anyhow thanks for your answer. Me personally, Im a flashaholic tweaker modder lol, so I like to max out my experience =]. But thanks for responding!

DUHAsianSKILLZ

Aug 6, 2014
Columbus
Also cfautoroot is automatic! It gets the job done(giving root) and reverts back to stock recovery. Then the user can decide later if they want to flash things.

scouse83

Mar 14, 2012
cheshire
Yeah it works with T705 as I used this

That's great thanks I have one more problem.if anybody can help when I try to use Odin and put the md5 file in pda I can't find it anywhere it just didn't show up has anybody had this problem before I've never had a issue like this before I'm using Windows 8.1 if that helps

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

danny19901

Nov 4, 2010
Stockton-On-Tees
That's great thanks I have one more problem.if anybody can help when I try to use Odin and put the md5 file in pda I can't find it anywhere it just didn't show up has anybody had this problem before I've never had a issue like this before I'm using Windows 8.1 if that helps

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
I flashed a recovery and then used supersu.zip I find that way easier tbh also you don't use the md5 file as that just checks to see if download is downloaded properly as it will match the md5 to check if it matches

xuanphucn

May 6, 2011

Would it trip the knox status if I just flash TWRP via odin?

Reactions: jocko6872

bynarie

Aug 2, 2013
Hilliard OH
OnePlus 7T
Would it trip the knox status if I just flash TWRP via odin?

Man, im totally new to samsung devices. Never been a big fan. The only reason I got this tab was for the incredible display... Anyhow, I dont know about the knox thing. I would just delete it. It sounds like junk software anyway made to make life difficult for rooters. I deleted it on my device and havent had any problems. But my honest opinion is that if you are going to root any device, flash TWRP or some recovery, then flash supersu. Its really the only logical thing to do. That way you can make nandroid backups to recover from. This whole autoroot thing just sounds like a pain to me, but thats my opinion. What if something goes wrong when your updating or changing your rom?? Well if you have a nandroid backup, no problem.

OH, I forgot - If you are already rooted and are now looking for a recovery, id go with the dd method. That way you can do it right from inside android. As long as you have busybox, or dd installed.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=disable+knox+galaxy+tab

xuanphucn

May 6, 2011
Man, im totally new to samsung devices. Never been a big fan. The only reason I got this tab was for the incredible display... Anyhow, I dont know about the knox thing. I would just delete it. It sounds like junk software anyway made to make life difficult for rooters. I deleted it on my device and havent had any problems. But my honest opinion is that if you are going to root any device, flash TWRP or some recovery, then flash supersu. Its really the only logical thing to do. That way you can make nandroid backups to recover from. This whole autoroot thing just sounds like a pain to me, but thats my opinion. What if something goes wrong when your updating or changing your rom?? Well if you have a nandroid backup, no problem.

OH, I forgot - If you are already rooted and are now looking for a recovery, id go with the dd method. That way you can do it right from inside android. As long as you have busybox, or dd installed.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=disable+knox+galaxy+tab
check your knox status to see if it got tripped. If the knox status is tripped, you will lose your warranty:silly:

jd07bos

Mar 23, 2012
Boston
Hey all,
When I click on the CF_AutoRoot link in the OP it says the download is for the Galaxy note 10.1 but I have the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, is the link incorrect? I also attached a screengrab.
THANKS!

Attachments

• snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 608

methslushee

Apr 29, 2012
worked like a charm, thank you

-note-
had to boot into download mode via adb, power + volume down did not work for me

-update-
I figured out how to get the device into download mode using the buttons:
volume down + home button + power

Last edited:
Reactions: d3xtr0

deanventure

May 2, 2011
is there a more noobish guide for this

ive rooted a couple of devices before, but im not very good at doing so, ive never failed at it, but i don't really get what to do, i'm in download mode already but don't really know what to do after that, i've seen that xda members usually expect people to know more so they dont put in all the steps, so can i get some help or a link for a step by step to help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-AUTO Root
    By Chainfire
    Ported To the Tab S 8.4 By:mad:BeansTown106

First off, Huge Thanks to Chainfire for coming up with AutoRoot & for his SuperSU App

Warning: I cannot be held responsible for anything you do to your phone, rooting is optional! This Does Trip The Knox Warranty Bit Built into the Bootloader of the Tab S 10.5

How To Enter Download Mode
    Method 1: in command prompt or terminal on computer enter: adb reboot download
    Method 2:Turn Off Tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Rooting Instructions
    1.Boot into Download mode (see methods above)
    2.Flash CF_AutoRoot_Port_T700_BeansTown106.tar.md5 with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
    3.Let it do its trick! Confirm root!
    4.Reboot into recovery mode and confirm stock recoverys presence
    That's all! Enjoy Root!

Download
    FILENAME: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557670

Please Keep in Mind i dont have this tab but would LOVE to develop on it!

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of SuperSU Pro to support Chainfire! Well worth the $2.49! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu.pro&hl=en
    Worked like a charm.

FWIW: I had to hold down Power, Volume Down *and* Home to get to the Downloader.

Odin 3.09 can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557972
    thank you beans !!

Was in the process of unpacking the cache.img (already modified recovery.img) to see what needed to be done.

You and Chainfire saved us a lot of time and allows us the true freedom of our device.

Now, off to build my kernel :)
    Hi. I bought tab s 8,4 lte and I can't boot in download mode. Pulse volume - and power and nothing.
    Pulse volume + + power and nothing.

You need to push POWER, VOL - and HOME together, at the same time, to enter download mode. Then you get the Warning screen and press VOL + to continue in download mode.

And by the way, if like me you try it and have nothing interesing to flash, you need to do the EXACT same thing to exit download mode !
    POWER, VOL - and HOME together to exit download mode... for about 8 to 10 seconds.

I usually pull the battery to exit download mode (GS3, GS4, etc), but I wasn't able to do it with this tablet :D

And to enter the recovery mode, you need to push POWER, VOL + and HOME together, at the same time. Once you see the boot screen, you release only the POWER button... With some practice, it gets easier...