[ROOT][RECOVERY][ROMS] BLU Studio G D790Q MegaThread!

Search This thread

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
BLU Studio G D790Q MegaThread
MT6580 Android 6.0
512MB RAM, 4GB ROM

This phone is extremely hard to find reference of. The D790Q is only available (to my knowledge) in Best Buy stores. Their site here even says it runs KitKat.

Antutu:

Screenshot_20170212_153740.png

Screenshot_20170212_153730.png

Screenshot_20170212_153710.png

Screenshot_20170212_153648.png

Screenshot_20170212_153624.png

Kernel Source (WIP): https://github.com/Qiangong2/android_kernel_blu_d790q
Device Source (WIP): https://github.com/Qiangong2/android_device_blu_d790q

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
RECOVERY and STOCK FIRMWARE

Here is the link to the Stock Firmware that you can flash with SP Flash tools if something goes wrong.

Thanks to AndroidMediatekRecoveryDevelopment, we have a recovery for our device! CTR 6.6 to be exact. It is available here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298930861

How to Root
1) Download the latest SuperSU zip from http://www.supersu.com and move to external SD card
2) Flash Recovery using SP Flash Tools
3) Boot into Recovery immediately by holding Power and Volume up button on phone (IMPORTANT! Otherwise the phone will replace the custom recovery with the stock recovery)
4) Install the SuperSu zip
5) Reboot :)

Last edited:

amdcora

Oct 24, 2017
do I have to make a scatter file to flash the recovery? and not use any other scatter file? by the way I am trying to root my blu studio G d790q so I could use a ram extender. I tried to use a scatter file from a stock rom I downloaded from this http://www.needrom.com/download/blu-studio-g-d790q/

--Basically this is what I have done--

-> launched SP tools
-> clicked `choose scatter file` (MT6580_Android_scatter.txt)
-> unchecked everything except recovery and browsed to my downloaded ctr-6.6-d790q.img
-> click download
-> connected my powered off device and while the bar below seems to be 100 it was color red and it says something have changed and I should download a file which I wasn't able to note down
-> I tried pressing down volume + power but it showed me `Factory mode` I guess its not the ctr one so I just chose `reboot`
-> found my date changed to `January 1` after reboot but I fixed it by just calibrating 'automatic time zone' and everything is good again.

Just need some clarification on flashing this recovery so I can root it properly thanks for the help! Cheers!

one more thing isn't it volume up + power to boot to recovery?

Last edited:

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
do I have to make a scatter file to flash the recovery? and not use any other scatter file? by the way I am trying to root my blu studio G d790q so I could use a ram extender. I tried to use a scatter file from a stock rom I downloaded from this http://www.needrom.com/download/blu-studio-g-d790q/

--Basically this is what I have done--

-> launched SP tools
-> clicked `choose scatter file` (MT6580_Android_scatter.txt)
-> unchecked everything except recovery and browsed to my downloaded ctr-6.6-d790q.img
-> click download
-> connected my powered off device and while the bar below seems to be 100 it was color red and it says something have changed and I should download a file which I wasn't able to note down
-> I tried pressing down volume + power but it showed me `Factory mode` I guess its not the ctr one so I just chose `reboot`
-> found my date changed to `January 1` after reboot but I fixed it by just calibrating 'automatic time zone' and everything is good again.

Just need some clarification on flashing this recovery so I can root it properly thanks for the help! Cheers!

one more thing isn't it volume up + power to boot to recovery?

Did you make sure to plug in the phone with the battery taken out?

amdcora

Oct 24, 2017
I did remove battery,

This time I also installed unsigned drivers for mtk for windows 10 64bit , also rebooted PC on startup to make it accept unsigned drivers (option 7) redo the process but now it took a bit of time to get that bar at 100 but still red it came up with a failed error

here are the two screenshots for each failed attempt

Upon further playing with it and being patient, i think it looks like somethings wrong with my current stock rom in a way that it is different from the stock scatter file which I am using, I tried downloading mtk droid tools and it showed me this

any ideas?

Last edited:

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
I did remove battery,

This time I also installed unsigned drivers for mtk for windows 10 64bit , also rebooted PC on startup to make it accept unsigned drivers (option 7) redo the process but now it took a bit of time to get that bar at 100 but still red it came up with a failed error

Upon further playing with it and being patient, i think it looks like somethings wrong with my current stock rom in a way that it is different from the stock scatter file which I am using, I tried downloading mtk droid tools and it showed me this

any ideas?

Sorry for the late reply,

V22 is the stock ROM the D790Q ships with. Unfortunately, the only stock ROM is V16. That may be the issue why you cannot flash the recovery, you have to format all and download the whole V16 stock ROM.

For some reason, you cannot update to V22 from V16 so I was not able to test the recovery on V22.

romish

Mar 28, 2018
I did remove battery,

any ideas?

First off these guys got you backwards that's why your stuff doesn't work.. On BLU its VOL UP to enter recovery.. not VOL DOWN as mr qinagong suggests.

As you can see from your screenshot it says format+download.. Choose the other option and it will work. If SP doesn't work on download choose DLOAD+FORMAT, if it doesn't work on that. choose the opposite. Also battery should be IN ! Ignore the people who say it should be out. Turn off phone, begin download or download + format and wait a second or two and then insert USB cable.

Qiangong2

Oct 31, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20
First off these guys got you backwards that's why your stuff doesn't work.. On BLU its VOL UP to enter recovery.. not VOL DOWN as mr qinagong suggests.

As you can see from your screenshot it says format+download.. Choose the other option and it will work. If SP doesn't work on download choose DLOAD+FORMAT, if it doesn't work on that. choose the opposite. Also battery should be IN ! Ignore the people who say it should be out. Turn off phone, begin download or download + format and wait a second or two and then insert USB cable.

Wow, I didn't think people actually read this thread :D

You're right on the volume button part. I will change that. I've always removed the battery, plugged in the usb, and reinserted the battery and it has worked for me.

Sent from my Q5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts