Root, Recovery & Roms, Guide & Info

Search This thread

JRodri

Nov 23, 2011
Hi everyone, I have a s10 sm-g977b and I cant get signal, could you help me with the steeps.

I have the chimera tool for samsung.

Thanks in advance :)

Alakazamm

Dec 9, 2013
Nvidia Shield
OnePlus 8T
Hi , It seems that you have attained root on the Sprint Snapdragon phone. It is great that you have accomplished this. MarshiMello's given steps are for Exynos phones. Can you please provide more details on how you have achieved root on the Sprint (Snapdragon) phone. Is there a rooted firmware available for the Sprint phone? Could you please provide links to the rooted firmware ?

Thank you !

I really want to buy the sprint version galaxy s10 5g that can get root but I'm worried I'll buy the wrong one. Could someone please post a link to the correct phone for sprint that I could make this purchase. Thank you so much!

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
I really want to buy the sprint version galaxy s10 5g that can get root but I'm worried I'll buy the wrong one. Could someone please post a link to the correct phone for sprint that I could make this purchase. Thank you so much!

good luck finding it on sprint site/stores.. will prolly need to buy from third party.. also keep in mind 5g no longer works sinxe they shut it off in favor of tmo 5g network if which spr s10 5g device isnt compatible.

but the model is SM-G977P so you csn look it up yourself

Benzter

Jul 24, 2017
good luck finding it on sprint site/stores.. will prolly need to buy from third party.. also keep in mind 5g no longer works sinxe they shut it off in favor of tmo 5g network if which spr s10 5g device isnt compatible.

but the model is SM-G977P so you csn look it up yourself
I have a Sprint Variant but its all the way updated so I dont think its going to be helpful. Its says SM-G975U1 on the model number but is updated to the latest Andriod 11. I can provide help if you need it. Really would mind rooting this phone. Currently running on Tmobile (G975U1UES5GUF2) build number.

chadandchew

Nov 15, 2019
Just got my new S10 5G SM-G977N today. There is no visible OEM Unlock button in development options.
How do I get to it

Squeeto

May 3, 2012
Fu0825D_d.jpg
Root also works for the sprint snapdragon chip (sm-g977p)
Thank you for this guide Marshimello.
As per sm-g977p -
Following the directions, downloading firmware via Bifrost, gives the most recent OS version 12. I notice that Nerdness has v9 still. Should I manually install an older firmware to match the phone now?
Will updating the firmware to 12 ruin my chances of installing Magisk?

Also has anyone successfully installed a 3rd party ROM (maybe Lineage) on an sm-g977p?

Hopefully this is not sidetracking the thread, Marshimello did say:
Some snapdragon models do have an unlocked bootloaders but no method of achieving root, recovery or a custom Rom has been disclosed. This warning will be removed if a safe method appears.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    M
    MarshiMello
    How did you do this?!?! U.S. snapdragon models are supposed to be locked down hardcore.
    Bootloader is unlocked on certain snapdragon models, So root is theoretically possible. I haven't had experience with these models and cannot provide support on them. But if I do find a willing tester I can see if the default method for exynos works for snapdragon and will update the guide based on these findings.
    M
    MarshiMello
    Hello all,

This post will contain most information regarding Root Recovery & Custom Roms for the Samsung Galaxy s10 5G.

Disclaimers:
    1 - This WILL TRIP KNOX 99.9% of the time. Once knox is tripped it cannot be untripped. Once knox is trio certain apps and features such as Secure Folder, Work Profile, Samsung Pay and more will either; NOT WORK without a workaround or WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN.

2 - Once knox is tripped YOU WILL MORE THEN LIKELY LOSE WARRANTY ON YOUT DEVICE. Some countries require companies to have limited warranty on devices despite software status. Google is your friend.

3 - I and any other developer ISN'T RESPONSIBLE with any bricks or mishaps due to user error. If you find a bug report it to the developer. Nor I or Developer offer 100% Guarantee that your process will be smooth and while most software including magisk, TWRP and Custom Roms are developers and tested, unknown bugs can appear. You have been warned.

4 - This guide is for EXYNOS VARIENT MODELS ONLY. Most snapdragon variants contain locked bootloaders which currently doesn't allow custom firmware including root to work. Some snapdragon models do have an unlocked bootloaders but no method of achieving root, recovery or a custom Rom has been disclosed. This warning will be removed if a safe method appears.

Root (Magisk):
    Achieving root is exactly the same process as achieving root for the Samsung Galaxy S10/+/e.
    So follow johntopwu's guide CAREFULLY.

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root

Recovery (TWRP):
    Recoveries are build for each device separately and are not universal amount most devices. While a recovery for one device may work on another, it is not recommended as unforseen bugs can occur and you can softbrick your device by using a recovery built for another device. Currently TWRP is unmaintained, meaning no one officially updates it. Currently Ianmacd unofficially updates it if and when he has spare time, Don't annoy him over it. The Samsung Galaxy S10 5G kernel releases later then the Samsung Galaxy S10/+/e, meaning the S10/+/e will be updated the latest version before the S10 5G. This is out of any developers hands as we rely on Samung Releasing the kernel source in order to update TWRP.

Same rules apply, Follow CAREFULLY and select the correct TWRP for your device. Read and make sure you understand everything before proceeding.

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s10/development/recovery-twrp-3-3-0-galaxy-s10-exynos-t3924856

Custom Roms:
    This section will be updated soon. Please stay tuned.

Common Questions & Answers:
    This section will be updated when common or important questions are asked.
    Root

It was a challenge but I have successfully rooted the SAMSUNG GALAXY S10 5G SPRINT SM-G977P.
    It was done by Magisk...
    Fu0825D_d.jpg
    Fu0825D_d.jpg

Hi , It seems that you have attained root on the Sprint Snapdragon phone. It is great that you have accomplished this. MarshiMello's given steps are for Exynos phones. Can you please provide more details on how you have achieved root on the Sprint (Snapdragon) phone. Is there a rooted firmware available for the Sprint phone? Could you please provide links to the rooted firmware ?

Thank you !