• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root Remix OS for PC

Search This thread

Gopal3

Jan 28, 2011
MUMBAI
This guide is to root Remix OS for PC

You will need Ubuntu for Rooting (You can download and run it in live CD)

If you are experienced with linux systems don't read whats written in bracket :)

1. Download and Extract RemixRoot.zip

2. Copy system.img from your pendrive or hdd wherever you have installed Remix Os to this folder (ie RemixRoot folder it should be alongside Readme.txt)

3. Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)

4. Type
Code:
sudo -i

5. Enter your password (If you are running in live cd then no password)

6. Change directory to RootRemix folder (Goto tmp folder, right click and goto properties and copy location, this is your <dir> replace it in command below )
Code:
cd <dir>

7. If you did it right next line of terminal will end with RemixRoot# followed by blinking cursor

8. Now run rootx.sh script by typing
Code:
sh rootx.sh

9. If everything goes right there wont be any error message and you will get a root.img in your RemixRoot folder

10. Rename it to system.img and copy to your pendrive/hdd replacing previous system.img

11. Reboot and go to RemixOS and update SuperSU binaries

12. That's it! you are now rooted

Thanks to Chainfire & hackarchive

ninharp

May 1, 2010
I tried it but i got no system.img, i got r/w access to system (choosen by install) so i tried to symlink it to my system directory and commented out all image mounted related things from script and then tried it.
but after that i cannot boot android anymore, i think the problem is app_process linking to daemonsu, since i set back to original it boots like normal but no superuser access. SuperSU said theres is no superuser installed.
Any suggestion?

Andywhite321

Nov 26, 2015
Silly question but will I lose root access if I update to the newest version by flashing the new image over the top?

ecksdeeay

Aug 18, 2012
Yes a silly question.... Deserves a silly answer. It will still be underneath, but good luck trying to retrace it!

gendon

Dec 6, 2013
Banten
any other method for rooting, without using ubuntu?

#tested with ubuntu live, and it works like a charms. Thank you..

Sent from my C46G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

masdeco

Nov 30, 2015
Bandung
I tried it but i got no system.img, i got r/w access to system (choosen by install) so i tried to symlink it to my system directory and commented out all image mounted related things from script and then tried it.
but after that i cannot boot android anymore, i think the problem is app_process linking to daemonsu, since i set back to original it boots like normal but no superuser access. SuperSU said theres is no superuser installed.
Any suggestion?

same problem here.

ninharp

May 1, 2010
I modified the original script to work with the system folder installation and i removed all app_processX dependend things from script (dunno if it affects the root in any way, cannot find any issue by now) Read the Readme.txt for further installation instructions. The link you find on the reddit sub that GoPal has posted! I cannot post links right now.
Try this

Hope same other method can solved

Gopal3

Jan 28, 2011
MUMBAI
Any suggestion?

You will get root.img file you will have to rename it to system.img

cotterochan

Jan 15, 2016
I've just installed RemixOS 2.0 onto a partition on my Lenovo X200T. I followed the instructions and all was good until I tried to run SuperSU. When it tried to update via the normal method the install failed and asked for a reboot. Any suggestions.

masdeco

Nov 30, 2015
Bandung
I modified the original script to work with the system folder installation and i removed all app_processX dependend things from script (dunno if it affects the root in any way, cannot find any issue by now) Read the Readme.txt for further installation instructions. The link you find on the reddit sub that GoPal has posted! I cannot post links right now.
Try this

the answer is replace the system folder. this is my methode :
1. copy the system img from the extracted remix iso to somewhere
2. then run the script
3. unpack the system img that already rooted and copy all the content to the system folder of the remix (replace)
4. done. Remix os rooted.

4ezahernya

Mar 2, 2013
Guys, I installed Remix to ext4 partition (in order to use all free space), so there's no "system.img" on it (but there's "system" folder). How to modify the script or to root Remix other way? :confused:

masdeco, thanks for the idea! How do you unpack img file, btw?

Last edited:

masdeco

Nov 30, 2015
Bandung
Guys, I installed Remix to ext4 partition (in order to use all free space), so there's no "system.img" on it (but there's "system" folder). How to modify the script or to root Remix other way? :confused:

masdeco, thanks for the idea! How do you unpack img file, btw?

after root the system img then mount it, copy all the content to the system folder of your remix.
since I am a linux user so I use this command :
mount -o loop system.img tmp

thet1nman

Jun 15, 2010
Works Lenovo Yoga 2 11

Installed to a partition on my HD:
Downloaded RemixOS iso
extracted contents of iso
created temp, data and system folders
ran this tool to root the system.img (now root.img)
renamed root.img back to system.img
mounted system.img to temp folder
copied contents of temp folder to system folder
added entry in grub
now I am triple booting Windows, Linux and RemixOS 2.0 Android with ROOT
Thank You!!!

GizmoTheGreen

Jun 13, 2010
i9100
Ouya
can you please explain its usage?

it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, put the files in your folder of choice with the system.img from your usb stick, run the batfile. it should create a file named rooted system image, now just replace system.img on your usb stick with that and run...

ofcourse I am assuming your system.img is identical to the one I had, which it should be if it was the 2.0 dev preview which is the only thing you can get today, right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is to root Remix OS for PC

You will need Ubuntu for Rooting (You can download and run it in live CD)

If you are experienced with linux systems don't read whats written in bracket :)

1. Download and Extract RemixRoot.zip

2. Copy system.img from your pendrive or hdd wherever you have installed Remix Os to this folder (ie RemixRoot folder it should be alongside Readme.txt)

3. Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)

4. Type
    Code:
    sudo -i

5. Enter your password (If you are running in live cd then no password)

6. Change directory to RootRemix folder (Goto tmp folder, right click and goto properties and copy location, this is your <dir> replace it in command below )
    Code:
    cd <dir>

7. If you did it right next line of terminal will end with RemixRoot# followed by blinking cursor

8. Now run rootx.sh script by typing
    Code:
    sh rootx.sh

9. If everything goes right there wont be any error message and you will get a root.img in your RemixRoot folder

10. Rename it to system.img and copy to your pendrive/hdd replacing previous system.img

11. Reboot and go to RemixOS and update SuperSU binaries

12. That's it! you are now rooted

Thanks to Chainfire & hackarchive
    Here I rooted mine

1- boot to linux
    2- open terminal

install squashfs-tools
    3- "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools" without ""
    extract system.sfs use 7z or goto 4 command
    4- " unsquashfs system.sfs"
    5- use rootx.sh "sh rootx.sh"
    6- move root.img to tmp folder rename to system.img then goto terminal
    repack system.sfs
    7- "mksquashfs tmp system.sfs"

done
    everything works great and root also but
    failed to update binary massage still when you open SuperSu only you don't worry about it
    This remix (1/25/2016) runs quite well on my pc.
    Very speedy.
    I wish there was an easy way to root it or that it would install prerooted.
    I cannot do half of what I want to do and without root, it feels like I don't really own my pc. Its too complicated to root this.

I love the whole idea of this concept of running Android on pc though.

If you like I can upload rooted system.sfs to you
    here is a xdelta3 for patching system.img for those using Remix OS 2 from a USB stick and run windows
    Yes, that would be great.

So all I'd have to do is replace it with the one on the USB 3.1 stick right?
    That would be super easy.
    Let me know where I can download it.

Thank you.
    Uploading 40 mints to go

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Yes, that would be great.

So all I'd have to do is replace it with the one on the USB 3.1 stick right?
    That would be super easy.
    Let me know where I can download it.

Thank you.
    here rooted system.sfs remix os
    https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZlztLZcTkmFvX2JYJXN91YqqMPmbMhakuX