[Root] Restore un-encrypted msgstore.db in Whatsapp (2020)

Search This thread

Android.Play

Jun 12, 2020
I am making this guide because there are many piece by piece info or posts available on internet but not a complete guide on this topic.

1) Uninstall Whatsapp (clean cache and data also)
2) Install Whatsapp.
3) Open it once then exit WhatApp. (it will create directory in /data/data/com.whatsapp/databases/)
4) Now that the databases folder is created, You can paste msgstore.db there in (/data/data/com.whatsapp/databases)
5) I am not sure that if you also have to keep a copy of msgstore.db in (/sdcard/whatsapp/databases/) or not. But according to some guides i read before, keep a copy there in case (i didn't had time by not doing it so i didn't check it will effect or not).
6) Now open "Turmex" app. You can download it from PlayStore.
7) Type the following code/line in it. It will ask permission for root.
Code:
Su

8) Then write following code/line in it. (INFO ls-l is actually LS -L)
Code:
ls - l /data/data/com.whatsapp/databases
It will show you all the files with their permissions
For Example, in my case : -rw-rwx---- 1 u0_a224 u0_a224 4096 2020-06-10 20:50 wa.db
It will show you many/all file but only one thing they will have in common and that is the u0_axxx number. In my case, it is "u0_a224" . Now that your own specific number.
IMPORTANT: Only msgstore.db will not have that number in it. It will have "root root" in it instead of that number

9) Then write following code/line in it. (MUST replace u0_xxxx with your own specific number)
Code:
chown -R u0_xxxx:u0_xxxx /data/data/com.whatsapp/databases/msgstore.db
It will make change msgstore.db from "root root" to u0_xxxx u0_xxxx

10) Now use the following command again to check whether it change msgstore.db or now.
Code:
Now msgstore.db will also have the "u0_xxxx" number in it instead of "root root"

11) Open whatsapp and give your number, it will have all your messages.
Ignore my English. Enjoy :)

moogle

Oct 30, 2007
I am making this guide because there are many piece by piece info or posts available on internet but not a complete guide on this topic.

2) Install Whatsapp.
3) Open it once then exit WhatApp. (it will create directory in /data/data/com.whatsapp/databases/)
4) Now that the databases folder is created, You can paste msgstore.db there in (/data/data/com.whatsapp/databases)
5) I am not sure that if you also have to keep a copy of msgstore.db in (/sdcard/whatsapp/databases/) or not. But according to some guides i read before, keep a copy there in case (i didn't had time by not doing it so i didn't check it will effect or not).
Code:
Su

Code:
For Example, in my case : -rw-rwx---- 1 u0_a224 u0_a224 4096 2020-06-10 20:50 wa.db
It will show you many/all file but only one thing they will have in common and that is the u0_axxx number. In my case, it is "u0_a224" . Now that your own specific number.
IMPORTANT: Only msgstore.db will not have that number in it. It will have "root root" in it instead of that number

9) Then write following code/line in it. (MUST replace u0_xxxx with your own specific number)
Code:

10) Now use the following command again to check whether it change msgstore.db or now.
Code:
Now msgstore.db will also have the "u0_xxxx" number in it instead of "root root"

This is also a useful link for understanding how whatsapp
files function

D

Deleted member 11445241

It doesn't work. WhatsApp crashes when I try to open it. Any idea why?

uncleheng

Jun 3, 2017
singapore

2) Install Whatsapp.
Code:
Su

Code:

Code:

Code:

applicable to Gbwhatsapp too?

eliazu

Aug 27, 2010

2) Install Whatsapp.
Code:
Su

Code:

Code:

Code:

You Are My Hero!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2) Install Whatsapp.
    Code:
    Su

Code:

Code:

Code: