[ROOT][ROM] Marshmallow GPE (wp_mod) (s2s_mod) (All variants)

Search This thread

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Marshmallow root has been much more difficult than simply flash a zip in recovery, because it also requires a modified boot image to work.
I've done all the work for you, this root is achieved with SELinux enforced using Chainfire's method.
The original RUU/Stock rom is here.
In this post you can find the followings:
  • Aroma Stock Rom
  • Root Info
  • GPE Marshmallow on All Models
  • Disable S-ON System Write Protection
  • Sweep to sleep module
  • FAQ

Aroma Stock Rom (All models support with selectable root)
Simplest way to dive in GPE Marshmallow, the installer will guide you to the right direction.
If you want root, take a look at the next section for some info about root methods.
Choose your model in the installer, it also includes proper support for Sprint and Verizon device,
This will NOT convert your device into GPE!! It only flashes a rom.
Aroma Version Stock GPE

Important!! If you choose systemless root, please choose "Do not install SuperSU" when reboot in TWRP, because TWRP isn't updated to detect this new method. If you choose to install SuperSU within TWRP you'll get stuck in boot loop.

Root Info
In Marshmallow, Chainfire gave us with two rooting methods include:
  1. The traditional root in system, which breaks OTA functionality.
    (It's more stable now)
  2. New "systemless" approach, which means the root stuffs are only in DATA and BOOT, the system will stay intact and it will accept OTAs.
    (Note that this method is still in beta stage according to CF)
If you already downloaded the GPE Marshmallow stock rom and you want root, this is where you'd be interested with.
(Non-GSM device should now jump to next section)
Choose your preferred root method above, and follow the correspond instructions below.
Instructions:
Traditional:
  1. Flash m8-mmgpe-su-boot.zip in attachment with TWRP
  2. Flash SuperSU 2.52
Systemless:
  1. Be sure you haven't used any other root method(like the traditional one above), if you've rooted with other methods, please re-flash your system back to pure stock
  2. Flash m8-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip in attachment with TWRP
  3. Download SuperSU-v2.56-20151030013730.zip in this thread, and flash it through TWRP
  4. Important!! Please choose "Do not install SuperSU" when reboot in TWRP, because TWRP isn't updated to detect this new method. If you choose to install SuperSU within TWRP you'll get stuck in bootloop.

GPE Marshmallow on All Models
Not an International/GSM device and still want some Marshmallow love? This is where you'd be interested with.
Simplest way is flash the pre-packed rom above, but if you already downloaded the stock rom and don't want to re-download, then look below.
GPE MM on all models is possible because it uses the Sense all-model dtb image, thanks to sun_dream for his work!!
Choose your preferred root method above, and follow the correspond instructions below.
Instructions:
Traditional:
  1. Flash m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot.zip in attachment with TWRP
  2. Flash SuperSU 2.52
Systemless:
  1. Be sure you haven't used any other root method(like the traditional one above), if you've rooted with other methods, please re-flash your system back to pure stock
  2. Flash m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip in attachment with TWRP
  3. Download SuperSU-v2.56-20151030013730.zip in this thread, and flash it through TWRP
  4. Important!! Please choose "Do not install SuperSU" when reboot in TWRP, because TWRP isn't updated to detect this new method. If you choose to install SuperSU within TWRP you'll get stuck in bootloop.

Disable S-ON System Write Protection
After you rooted, you might find out that your system partition is locked up, this is because of HTC's system write protection on S-ON devices, and here is a handy mod for you to bypass it. Original mod by flar2, I modified it to work on MM GPE.
Instructions:
  1. You have to use the traditional root method above to make this work!!
  2. Flash m8-mmgpe-wp_mod.zip in attachment

Sweep to Sleep module
A handy mod to turn of the screen by swiping the bottom of the screen. Original mod by flar2, I modified it to work on MM GPE.
Instructions:
  1. This will flash files to system, there is no point in using systemless method, it ot should be OK
  2. Flash m8-mmgpe-s2s_mod.zip in attachment

FAQ
  • Q: After choosing full wipe, my contents in internal storage are all gone!!
    A: No, it's not. It's a new behavior of Marshmallow. After each clean flash, it will move all previous files in /sdcard into /sdcard/0. You can just move them back to the proper locations.
  • Q: I cannot install Busybox in system / I cannot use adaway !!
    A: Flash wp_mod.
  • Q: I used systemless root and wanted to keep my system partition intact, how do I install Busybox?
    A: Download Busybox Pro, type /su/bin as the installation path for busybox. You cannot do it using the free version, unfortunately.
  • Q: **** app cannot access external SDcard!!
    A: Look at this explanation:
    Since Kitkat(2 years ago man), we don't have direct external storage write permission. Google consider it insecure, so they implemented this feature. The reason why you can access external SDcard easily before is because most roms on XDA already contains a hack in /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml. You should not rely on this hack forever, please take a look below.

In lollipop and after, Google provided a much secure and better way to grant external storage access to third party apps, first of all take a look at this article for details:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...s-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/
    So instead of using the old platform.xml hack in the old Kitkat days, adopt yourself with this new behavior of Android!! If a certain app cannot access SDcard, ASK THE DEVELOPER to add support for this API!!

Many apps already have support for this API. I'll take Titanium Backup for example, as lots of you cannot find the way to use it on externals SD. In Menu>>Preferences>>Backup Location, you can choose Document Provider on top of the detect button.
    In the provider, open the menu on the top right corner and select "Show SDcard", then you'll see External Storage in the left side. Select external SDcard in the document provider and press the button on the bottom, the app will then be granted access to the whole external storage. You can then create a new folder in TiBack and select it as your backup location.
    Other apps also follows the instructions above, you just have to manually set up the folder where the app can access, in the case which most of us would love to give access to the whole SDcard, I set the location to the root of external storage. Each app has independent permission, so you have to manually grant each app you wish to access external storage.
  • Q: I want OTA, what should I do?
    A: Look at the following info

To accept OTA updates, you need the following:
    • Your MID should be 0P6B17000
    • Your CID should be GOOGL001
    • You have to fully convert to GPE
    • You have to keep system partition untouched
    • You have to have GPE stock recovery
    So before anything, if you want to accept OTA, you have to change MID, CID, and convert to GPE. The tricky part is the system partition and the recovery. The easiest way is when the OTA comes, flash the stock rom again without root, flash GPE stock recovery through fastboot, then apply OTA. But if you like to go the hardcore way, here comes a tutorial:
    1. fastboot flash systemless_boot.img
    2. fastboot boot TWRP.img(so that you can use TWRP but you didn't actually flash it)
    3. Flash systemless SuperSU
    By doing so you can accept OTA at anytime.
  • Q: Are there any mods around?
    A: Because of the difficulty of file based flashing, modded GPE MM might take a while to appear.
    You can use Xposed Framework, as it now officially support Marshmallow.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Credits:
@Chainfire for the new root methods and SuperSU
@flar2 for wp_mod.ko and s2s_mod.ko
@enewman17 for original RUU
@sun_dream for the all models dtb image
@whaevr for porting to Verizon
@Captain_Throwback for porting to Sprint
eAW56xF.jpg

Attachments

• m8-mmgpe-su-boot.zip
    8 MB · Views: 18,778
  • m8-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip
    8 MB · Views: 5,352
  • m8-mmgpe-wp_mod.zip
    193 KB · Views: 5,807
  • m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 2,886
  • m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 1,755
  • m8-mmgpe-s2s_mod.zip
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,754
Last edited:

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Does this mean it will boot with a warning message?

Edit: My post was in response to the very first version of pre systemless Root for M8 GPE 6.0 .. But the Dev was fast in updating :)

Last edited:

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Anybody lost ex-sd card after using the traditional method?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nope, mine still works. I think you've got to go to storage and configure your sd card as removable storage.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Anybody lost ex-sd card after using the traditional method?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

@topjohnwu the mod doesnt seem to be working.. v4a still keeps asking for drivers..

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Nope, mine still works. I think you've got to go to storage and configure your sd card as removable storage.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

@topjohnwu the mod doesnt seem to be working.. v4a still keeps asking for drivers..

Try copy a random file to system (or remove an system app you don't like) using root explorer and reboot and see if it sticks. I haven't used v4a for years, and I'm not sure if it is something about selinux or other possible reasons.
Also I'm not sure if the su.d script is executing correctly(because stock rom lack init.d support I tried su.d), try this also:
First reboot the device, before doing any modifications to system open terminal on the phone and type:
su
insmod /system/lib/modules/wp_mod.ko

then do the system modification tests.
Thanks a lot!!

Reactions: n1234d

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Try copy a random file to system (or remove an system app you don't like) using root explorer and reboot and see if it sticks. I haven't used v4a for years, and I'm not sure if it is something about selinux or other possible reasons.
Also I'm not sure if the su.d script is executing correctly(because stock rom lack init.d support I tried su.d), try this also:
First reboot the device, before doing any modifications to system open terminal on the phone and type:
su
insmod /system/lib/modules/wp_mod.ko

then do the system modification tests.
Thanks a lot!!

My bad, it does indeed work!! :) Adaway works, and so does deleting system apps! Thanks a lot :)

Reactions: topjohnwu

sasquatch006

Nov 8, 2007
Just posting to say that the Systemless Root method worked great for me. Able to successfully modify /System files and folders (verified changes were still there after reboot), restored some apps, Messages, and Call Log using Titanium, and Android Pay is still working after rooting.

Thanks JW!

Last edited:

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Well, whatever I try, V4A keeps asking for drivers. I have selinux permissive (selinux mode changer app) and flashed the wp_mod from here. Adaway and other changes to the system partition stick. Any ideas?

Reactions: JaMeVu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Marshmallow root has been much more difficult than simply flash a zip in recovery, because it also requires a modified boot image to work.
    I've done all the work for you, this root is achieved with SELinux enforced using Chainfire's method.
    The original RUU/Stock rom is here.
    In this post you can find the followings:
    • Aroma Stock Rom
    • Root Info
    • GPE Marshmallow on All Models
    • Disable S-ON System Write Protection
    • Sweep to sleep module
    • FAQ

Aroma Stock Rom (All models support with selectable root)
    Simplest way to dive in GPE Marshmallow, the installer will guide you to the right direction.
    If you want root, take a look at the next section for some info about root methods.
    Choose your model in the installer, it also includes proper support for Sprint and Verizon device,
    This will NOT convert your device into GPE!! It only flashes a rom.
    Aroma Version Stock GPE

Important!! If you choose systemless root, please choose "Do not install SuperSU" when reboot in TWRP, because TWRP isn't updated to detect this new method. If you choose to install SuperSU within TWRP you'll get stuck in boot loop.

Root Info
    In Marshmallow, Chainfire gave us with two rooting methods include:
    1. The traditional root in system, which breaks OTA functionality.
      (It's more stable now)
    2. New "systemless" approach, which means the root stuffs are only in DATA and BOOT, the system will stay intact and it will accept OTAs.
      (Note that this method is still in beta stage according to CF)
    If you already downloaded the GPE Marshmallow stock rom and you want root, this is where you'd be interested with.
    (Non-GSM device should now jump to next section)
    Instructions:
    Traditional:
    1. Flash m8-mmgpe-su-boot.zip in attachment with TWRP
    2. Flash SuperSU 2.52
    Systemless:
    2. Flash m8-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip in attachment with TWRP

GPE Marshmallow on All Models
    Not an International/GSM device and still want some Marshmallow love? This is where you'd be interested with.
    Simplest way is flash the pre-packed rom above, but if you already downloaded the stock rom and don't want to re-download, then look below.
    GPE MM on all models is possible because it uses the Sense all-model dtb image, thanks to sun_dream for his work!!
    Instructions:
    Traditional:
    1. Flash m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot.zip in attachment with TWRP
    2. Flash SuperSU 2.52
    Systemless:
    2. Flash m8_AIO-mmgpe-su-boot-systemless.zip in attachment with TWRP

Disable S-ON System Write Protection
    After you rooted, you might find out that your system partition is locked up, this is because of HTC's system write protection on S-ON devices, and here is a handy mod for you to bypass it. Original mod by flar2, I modified it to work on MM GPE.
    Instructions:
    1. You have to use the traditional root method above to make this work!!
    2. Flash m8-mmgpe-wp_mod.zip in attachment

Sweep to Sleep module
    A handy mod to turn of the screen by swiping the bottom of the screen. Original mod by flar2, I modified it to work on MM GPE.
    Instructions:
    1. This will flash files to system, there is no point in using systemless method, it ot should be OK
    2. Flash m8-mmgpe-s2s_mod.zip in attachment

FAQ
    • Q: After choosing full wipe, my contents in internal storage are all gone!!
      A: No, it's not. It's a new behavior of Marshmallow. After each clean flash, it will move all previous files in /sdcard into /sdcard/0. You can just move them back to the proper locations.
    • Q: I cannot install Busybox in system / I cannot use adaway !!
      A: Flash wp_mod.
    • Q: I used systemless root and wanted to keep my system partition intact, how do I install Busybox?
      A: Download Busybox Pro, type /su/bin as the installation path for busybox. You cannot do it using the free version, unfortunately.
    • Q: **** app cannot access external SDcard!!
      A: Look at this explanation:
      Since Kitkat(2 years ago man), we don't have direct external storage write permission. Google consider it insecure, so they implemented this feature. The reason why you can access external SDcard easily before is because most roms on XDA already contains a hack in /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml. You should not rely on this hack forever, please take a look below.

In lollipop and after, Google provided a much secure and better way to grant external storage access to third party apps, first of all take a look at this article for details:
      http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...s-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/
      So instead of using the old platform.xml hack in the old Kitkat days, adopt yourself with this new behavior of Android!! If a certain app cannot access SDcard, ASK THE DEVELOPER to add support for this API!!

Many apps already have support for this API. I'll take Titanium Backup for example, as lots of you cannot find the way to use it on externals SD. In Menu>>Preferences>>Backup Location, you can choose Document Provider on top of the detect button.
      In the provider, open the menu on the top right corner and select "Show SDcard", then you'll see External Storage in the left side. Select external SDcard in the document provider and press the button on the bottom, the app will then be granted access to the whole external storage. You can then create a new folder in TiBack and select it as your backup location.
      Other apps also follows the instructions above, you just have to manually set up the folder where the app can access, in the case which most of us would love to give access to the whole SDcard, I set the location to the root of external storage. Each app has independent permission, so you have to manually grant each app you wish to access external storage.
    • Q: I want OTA, what should I do?
      A: Look at the following info

To accept OTA updates, you need the following:
      • Your MID should be 0P6B17000
      • Your CID should be GOOGL001
      • You have to fully convert to GPE
      • You have to keep system partition untouched
      • You have to have GPE stock recovery
      So before anything, if you want to accept OTA, you have to change MID, CID, and convert to GPE. The tricky part is the system partition and the recovery. The easiest way is when the OTA comes, flash the stock rom again without root, flash GPE stock recovery through fastboot, then apply OTA. But if you like to go the hardcore way, here comes a tutorial:
      1. fastboot flash systemless_boot.img
      2. fastboot boot TWRP.img(so that you can use TWRP but you didn't actually flash it)
      3. Flash systemless SuperSU
      By doing so you can accept OTA at anytime.
    • Q: Are there any mods around?
      A: Because of the difficulty of file based flashing, modded GPE MM might take a while to appear.
      You can use Xposed Framework, as it now officially support Marshmallow.
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Credits:
    @Chainfire for the new root methods and SuperSU
    @flar2 for wp_mod.ko and s2s_mod.ko
    @enewman17 for original RUU
    @sun_dream for the all models dtb image
    @whaevr for porting to Verizon
    @Captain_Throwback for porting to Sprint
    eAW56xF.jpg
    OP updated with super detailed descriptions, also contains FAQ in this thread.
    In this update, I took sun_dream's all model kernel into this thread, along with updated pre-packed rom for new comers.

Also, I introduce the first version properly for the Sense partition. I highly recommend everyone who haven't converted to download and dirty flash the Sense partition version to retain your missing system space.
    This might be a silly question but does this ROM work on standard M8s?
    It should not work on M8s. M8s is a different device.
    A stupid question,

The Write Protection Mod in aroma is for disable the write protection, right? :p
    Yes.
    I can't disable Write Protection of extSD...:(

Just gonna post that too, my system is good but not sd

People, stop complaining about external SD card write issues. Since Kitkat(2 years ago man), we don't have direct external storage write permission. Google consider it insecure, so they implemented this feature. The reason why you can access external SDcard easily before is because most roms on XDA already contains a hack in /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml. You should not rely on this hack forever, please take a look below.

Hope this post can help people learn the new Google policies.
    If there is no big issues, this should be the final version!!
    This final release include proper Verizon fixes, mad props to @whaevr for providing the Verizon fixes!!
    Using file based flashing method, so all partition sizes are supported.
    For convenience, I also included Sprint fixed into the rom, so anyone can just flash this zip and good to go.
    Enjoy the sweet Marshmallow :)
    So many things coming up, VZW, file based rom, A9 port. What a Marshmallow blast!! :)
    Will update the pre-packed rom soon with proper Verizon support and file based installation.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone