Search This thread

An-Druid

Nov 26, 2014
NDS
No

1. Update to 5.0.2
2. Fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.8.5.0-lenok.img
3. Flash Wear-SuperSU-v2.40.zip in twrp
I'm sorry to ask again. I've read the whole thread and only managed to get an unlocked bootloader on 5.0.2. Even the WinDroid tool didn't work for me. :confused:
Could someone please write a step-by-step manual for those who are on stock 5.0.2 and want to flash the latest TWRP (2.8.6.0) and Wear SuperSU (2.40) :crying:

I would like to thank anyone in advance :fingers-crossed:

MotoXoom

Apr 21, 2011
Cologne
Motorola Xoom
HTC Desire Eye
I'm sorry to ask again. I've read the whole thread and only managed to get an unlocked bootloader on 5.0.2. Even the WinDroid tool didn't work for me. :confused:
Could someone please write a step-by-step manual for those who are on stock 5.0.2 and want to flash the latest TWRP (2.8.6.0) and Wear SuperSU (2.40) :crying:

I would like to thank anyone in advance :fingers-crossed:

As you have already unlocked the bootloader I assume you are ready to install TWRP and Wear SuperSU.
So here you go:

"adb reboot bootloader"

"fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img"

If your command windows shows success than you should have TWRP installed

Reboot Watch

adb push SUPERSUNAMEHERE.zip /sdcard/

adb reboot recovery

Than inside TWRP install the supersu.zip thats in the folder /sdcard

Reboot through TWRP and you are set :)

An-Druid

Nov 26, 2014
NDS
As you have already unlocked the bootloader I assume you are ready to install TWRP and Wear SuperSU.
So here you go:

"adb reboot bootloader"

"fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img"

If your command windows shows success than you should have TWRP installed

Reboot Watch

adb reboot recovery

Than inside TWRP install the supersu.zip thats in the folder /sdcard

Reboot through TWRP and you are set :)

Yeah that is exactly what I did - with no success :crying:

This is what my fastboot menu looks like:
flkl86.jpg

And this is what my recovery looks like afterwards:
33kanvn.jpg

All adb commands return a success message. I just don't get what I am doing wrong :confused:

Ok, I finally managed to succeed :laugh:
2a68r3a.jpg

So, what did I do? I used the latest WinDroid tool (V2.3) for the complete procedure after manually locking the bootloader again and resetting the watch at least half a dozen times ^^
After letting the tool re-open the bootloader and downloading twrp and supersu to install it one after the other, I placed the latest TWRP in that folder in which WinDroid stores its downloaded version. Renamed it to "Recovery1.img" and repeated step 2 in that tool. Flashing SuperSU can be done as described several times before. Et voilà!

The main difference I noticed using WinDroid is that it accomplished to write the TWRP image in fastboot mode. This never happened using adb shell. Is something wrong with my Android SDK? :confused:

Last edited:

Kreiger1981

Jul 28, 2010
Edit: It was the cable.

Hey all, i'm having some issues getting this to work.

First issue) When I have the phone loaded up, I can see it in ADB, but when I

"adb reboot bootloader"

I can no longer see the device in adb. I can, however, see it in "Fastboot devices". When I try to

"fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.IMG"

I get either "No such device or address", even if I've literally JUST run "fastboot devices" and I have the serial number of my watch marked "fastboot".

My bootloader looks like An-Druid's, and when I tried to "fastboot oem lock" to relock my bootloader like he did, I get "Too Many links"

Honestly, i'm at my wits end, here. It's just getting really frustrating. I've tried the TWRP in the OP, and the latest (2.8.6.0-lenok), and same thing.

I'm just trying to flash IntersectRaven's kernel so I can get better battery life...

The fun part is that when I do reboot the system and run "adb devices" my device shows as offline, so I have to revoke authorization and re-enable it . Each time.

I've tried using the Win-Droid, and it SAYS it successfully loads TWRP, but when it says it reboots my watch, it doesn't, and when I do it manually and then load into recovery, it's the default recovery, not TWRP.

I can take pictures or whatever of every step you guys like. I'm begging here. Help?

Last edited:

ianrobbie

Nov 23, 2012
Just a quick post.
Recently got myself an LG G Watch R and love it. I'm a compulsive ROM flasher on my Z2 and was encouraged to see root and recovery for my watch.
Thing is, I don't know why you would root it. There's doesn't seem to be any kind of custom ROM available and aside from improved battery life the custom kernels don't seem to do much either.
Can anyone tell me why they rooted and what they do with their watch that's different?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
Ability to change vibration setting amongst a few other things. Most are not significant which is why I really don't comment anymore. I changed the weak vibrations by changing the pattern which works better and doesn't even require root.

Cyberdyne

May 29, 2006
I changed the weak vibrations by changing the pattern which works better and doesn't even require root.

How did you do that? Is there a thread that I have missed?

And back to topic:
Will unlocking the bootloader and/or flashing a custom recovery break the ability to get OTA updates?

Is it possible to make a nand-backup with this custom recovery? People say that the Urban is based on the same hardware. Will this instruction work on the Urban as well to get a custom recovery? I wonder if anyone will try to flash a nand backup from an Urban to the R to get Android 5.1.1 NOW (and maybe have working wifi)?!

I realy hope that custom ROMs with build in vibration fix and maybe essential stuff like out of range alarm will be availible soon! Thank you for the great work here!

Reactions: cybermungo

Kreiger1981

Jul 28, 2010

And back to topic:
Will unlocking the bootloader and/or flashing a custom recovery break the ability to get OTA updates?

I came here to ask about this, but I can answer your question.

My watch just got the notification for the 5.1.1 update, but when I tried to install it (forgetting, of course, that I had installed TWRP adn rooted), it rebooted my phone into TWRP when I'm assuming it was supposed to reboot it into the stock recovery/fastboot mode and run it's own script.

I'd like to be able to get onto 5.11, but not if it means I lose root or my custom kernel.... any word on this?

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010

And back to topic:

Is it possible to make a nand-backup with this custom recovery? People say that the Urban is based on the same hardware. Will this instruction work on the Urban as well to get a custom recovery? I wonder if anyone will try to flash a nand backup from an Urban to the R to get Android 5.1.1 NOW (and maybe have working wifi)?!

I realy hope that custom ROMs with build in vibration fix and maybe essential stuff like out of range alarm will be availible soon! Thank you for the great work here!

Don't do any of the nand-backup non-sense. I will take a crack at the OTA to make it easily flashable but really no promises. Just started a new full time position and there just isnt enough time in the day.

Kreiger1981

Jul 28, 2010

And back to topic:

Don't do any of the nand-backup non-sense. I will take a crack at the OTA to make it easily flashable but really no promises. Just started a new full time position and there just isnt enough time in the day.

I have a copy of the update.zip if you need it.

Kreiger1981

Jul 28, 2010
Been trying to follow your threads here and over on reddit. Have you been able to get the update.zip off the watch yet? If so, can you upload it? If you don't have a file hosting service you would like to use I do.

I haven't uploaded files since rapidshare was the latest ****. If you have a recommendation, lemme know. I can e-mail it or whatever.

Rennat

Oct 18, 2008
I haven't uploaded files since rapidshare was the latest ****. If you have a recommendation, lemme know. I can e-mail it or whatever.

I use box.com because I ran into 100GB of free storage. I think you get free 10GB normally. I can email me it if you would like. If so i'll pm you my email
EDIT: depending on the size of the file you may not be able to host it with a free 10GB account. (less than 2GB) But i can do up to 5GB

Rennat

Oct 18, 2008
Didn't Intersectraven provide a link?

Not sure what the difference is, but I uploaded to my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mejka47xx183co/update.zip?dl=0

Is that good enough for public consumption?

I believe the to files are a bit different. The update requires the stock recovery so you can't flash it via TWRP. I am going to try to install the stock recovery and put it in /cache to get it to install it. Might not be able to get it to work but we will see.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with using Fastboot and ADB and editing system files than this guide might not be for you. At this point this is what I have to offer.

Click here for the unofficial twrp image - Latest version as of 12/27/14

So getting right into it.

1. Turn on ADB mode on the watch by going to about and tapping the build info 7 times.

2. Download ADB and Fastboot utilties

3. Plug the watch into the computer and your phone should vibrate and ask you to accept the computers fingerprint, tick the check box to always allow and hit ok

4. Open up a command prompt or terminal inside of where the ADB utilities are located and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

This next step will wipe your data!

5. Now you should be in fastboot, go ahead and on the terminal use the next code and follow prompts to unlock
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

6. Now after you re-set up your watch again you will need to do step 1 and 3 again.

Please do not skip step 6!

7. Go ahead and issue
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

8. Flash unofficial twrp, make sure the recovery image file is in the same location as fastboot than issue
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery YOURIMGNAMEHERE.img

9. Upon successfully doing that you should have twrp installed

10. Lots in one step here, download the latest supersu.zip flashable file and put it in the same folder as ADB use the proper name of what you downloaded. Issue
    Code:

11. Issue
    Code:
     adb reboot recovery

12. than using the very tiny TWRP and somewhat messed up go ahead and use it to install the supersu.zip under the folder /sdcard

13. Enjoy root and twrp.

I will make this guide into a much easier Java program in the very near future to make it easier to use.

This was typed up pretty fast and it is kinda hacky, I will work on a bat script and a shell script if we have enough osx users here. I'm sure someone will come along and make this better if I don't get around to it.

Credits:
    Dees-Troy for his TWRP support for dory our fish brother device which worked on our device
    Chainfire for all his hard work these many years
    Marshmallow

I'v just sideloaded the Marshmallow update and rooted it through TWRP:

I used this TWRP image by rbox (I just booted it as I prefer stock recovery on my watch, but flashing should work too)
    and Chainfire's latest SuperSU v2.67 without the apk as described here

thanks to all the people linked above!
    ah ok, the tools you are using arent packing the image correctly. the DTB.img isnt being packed properly. its similar to the ramdisk offset its soemthing you need to define and have it get packed in with the boot.img.

edit: use https://github.com/xiaolu/mkbootimg_tools

Yea that was it. I was using abootimg to create images which worked up until recently. I just copied some git repository and downloaded unmkbootimg and mkbootimg again and used that and now it works.

Latest TWRP 2.8.3.0 is in OP. Thanks to shabbypenguin for the latest theme which works pretty well.
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL FLASHING LOLLIPOP UPDATE! It flashes a new bootloader, TZ, kernel, and system.
    Q: ADB complains there is no device listed.
    A: Install universal ADB drivers and then go to device manager and under the device with a yellow warning icon go to update driver, Browse my computer, let me pick from list of device drivers, than Google ADB interface. If it still complains turn off debugging, than turn it back on, revoke authorization, then disable and re-enable again.