[ROOT] ROOT DROID RAZR XT910/XT912 [Win/Mac/Linux][2.3.6][ICS]

Search This thread

refuse2bstopped

Jul 27, 2008
Quick question...

Will rooting cause me not to get official OTA updates? I mean if I just root for certain rooting benefits but DON'T flash any actual roms and stay stock, will the official OTA updates be pushable and pullable to my phone as long as it's just rooted and that's it?

usmcrhyno

Aug 1, 2008
Chicago, IL
I rooted using this method and it worked perfectly. I only rooted to remove the bloat.

My phone recognized the system update and I downloaded it. Now I can not install it. It keeps saying the install failed.

I am guessing it is because of root.

Edit: I am confirming that it was root which blocked the OTA update. I was able to unroot and delete safestrap. I recommend deleting safestrap first or you will have to re-root. I learned the hard way.

I downloaded the OTA without any issues after the unroot. It is running perfectly now. I am going to attempt to root with ICS.

Last edited:

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
I rooted using this method and it worked perfectly. I only rooted to remove the bloat.

My phone recognized the system update and I downloaded it. Now I can not install it. It keeps saying the install failed.

Edit: I am confirming that it was root which blocked the OTA update. I was able to unroot and delete safestrap. I recommend deleting safestrap first or you will have to re-root. I learned the hard way.

I downloaded the OTA without any issues after the unroot. It is running perfectly now. I am going to attempt to root with ICS.

Did this root method work (for you) after updating to the official VZ ICS OTA?

marinos35

Jul 13, 2010
After trying all the others methods and failing to root my 2.3.6 white razr, I succeeded with this one.

I first tried this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1341578

Then the eternity (which said ICS but someone suggested it at the above topic)

Anyway, beside the SuperSU (which I got from eternity and uninstalled), does anyone know if is there anything else I should "clean" from my previous attempts?

PS: Thank you for the root!

Reactions: george_xp_pro

hyperhamster

Apr 28, 2009
St.Petersburg

How did you unroot?

anthonywoo

Jul 18, 2011
Madison

Do you think you could share what method you used to unroot? Greatly appreciated if you could!! THanks in advance!! :good:

Reactions: baxtex

baxtex

Oct 16, 2011
Yeah I'm wondering too how to unroot.

And also, does this work on Systemversion;:

651.73.30.XT910.NonEFIGSRetail.EU

(Latest EU udate)

Last edited:

Knightslugger

Dec 16, 2010
OK, i successfully Unrooted, but it was the hard way around.

First, i used DroidRazrUtility Found here on droidrazrroot.com, (huge file, btw, 800someMB), tried the unroot option (#3 i think) and that successfully took the root off the phone, HOWEVER, bootstrap remained and the OTA still would not install. SO, i used the same utility program to load the stock GB 2.3.6 (option 1). Doing so however put me into a boot loop and the solution was to boot into Motorola's recovery on the phone and perform a factory restore. At that point, i had what surmounted to a brand new phone just out of a box. I was immediately presented (after set-up) with the OTA update to .181, which i took and installed. i didn't get the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade option until much later in the evening, and that installed without a problem.

I am currently on the 4.0.4 ICS OTA. I will be trying the 4.0.4 ICS root method that is also included on the DroidRazrUtility program tonight.

Hopefully my experience helps someone. took me the better part of an hour to figure all this out.

I am on Verizon Wireless

Last edited:
Reactions: anthonywoo

baxtex

Oct 16, 2011

First, i used DroidRazrUtility Found here on droidrazrroot.com, (huge file, btw, 800someMB), tried the unroot option (#3 i think) and that successfully took the root off the phone, HOWEVER, bootstrap remained and the OTA still would not install. SO, i used the same utility program to load the stock GB 2.3.6 (option 1). Doing so however put me into a boot loop and the solution was to boot into Motorola's recovery on the phone and perform a factory restore. At that point, i had what surmounted to a brand new phone just out of a box. I was immediately presented (after set-up) with the OTA update to .181, which i took and installed. i didn't get the ICS 4.0.4 upgrade option until much later in the evening, and that installed without a problem.

I am currently on the 4.0.4 ICS OTA. I will be trying the 4.0.4 ICS root method that is also included on the DroidRazrUtility program tonight.

Hopefully my experience helps someone. took me the better part of an hour to figure all this out.

That is just for the 4G modell however.

anthonywoo

Jul 18, 2011
Madison

I am on Verizon Wireless

Confirmed!! This worked quick and easy!

Also I wanted to share, I was not able to follow the instructions laid out in the link though. I simply choose option 1. The instructions imply that while in fastboot and running the .bat file it auto unroots. When you run the .bat file you will be confronted with a splash screen and asked to hit enter to continue. Next you be presented options 1-17.

Capture1.JPG

The obvious choice would be option 3 - "unroot", as that's what our goal is... but its not, actually I'm guessing the phone would need to be on for this option. Anyhow, this didn't connect... by looking at the images on the site I chose option 1 to restore, the next two screens matched the screenshots. Just wanted to fill you guys in as it took me some time to figure all this out as well... again just choose option 1 (If you know the other way with option 3, do your thing!) Know that the route I took had me install one interim OTA update before getting ICS but it did become available as soon a I checked for it. So everything worked like a charm! Also note that I was using safe strap recovery and follow earlier instructions to remove before restoring.

Thanks Knightslugger for sharing!

Last edited:

Knightslugger

Dec 16, 2010
I found an even easier way, uninstall recovery, use RSD and the corresponding files and boot the phone up while holding booth volume keys. Restock the phone and finished:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1539192

i never understood the whole "RSD Lite" and "Use the corresponding files" bit. no one really explains how to use RSD Lite very well, or even explain any of the terminology or what the process is doing. This is the single largest obstacle i face when futzing around with ROMs. I never know what to use. Fastboot Files (which i assume as the .zip ROM packages you download from the developer?) through RSD Lite, or Do i use Bootstrap recovery and install much like my HTC Incredible?

The Motorola for Newbies thread is terribly ineffective for informing a newcomer to Moto on what's what.

Top Liked Posts