[ROOT]Root Guide for Huawei MediaPad M5

Search This thread

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Use the steps below at your own risk . Be mindful of the facts unlocking bootloader voids your warranty and also hard resets your device - ALL YOUR DATA, SETTINGS, FILES AND APPS WILL BE DELETED. Rooting your device voids warranty as well. I own the Chinese SHT-AL09 8.4" LTE device and tested this root procedure ONLY WITH THIS MODEL. However, I believe there is a good chance the steps below will work for all other models of MediaPad M5, including WiFi only variants and 10" models. You MUST unlock your bootloader first. Do NOT use ramdisk image I provide in the steps below for any other model besides SHT-AL09 - doing so is guaranteed to render your device unusable. Ramdisk I provided is ONLY for SHT-AL09. You will need to extract your own ramdisk from stock firmware, specific to your device model

Credits:

1. First, you will need to unlock the bootloader of your M5. Follow this guide
2. Transfer this patched ramdisk image to your device
Note for users with version of M5 other than SHT-AL09: Do NOT use the above ramdisk image. Download the full stock rom (update.zip) from the site I linked in the credits. Extract UPDATE.APP file from the zip. Then use HuaweiUpdateExtractor to extract ramdisk.img specific to your device. If you get errors in HuaweiUpdateExtractor - uncheck first 2 checkboxes for checksum verification on Settings tab and try again
3. Once bootloader is unlocked, install latest Magisk Manager from the official Magisk thread
4. Once Magisk Manager gives you a pop-up prompt to either download Magisk zip or patch the boot image file - chose to patch the boot image, but instead of boot.img select ramdisk.img from step 2. Magisk Manager should give you a message the image was successfully patched. It will be saved as patched_boot.img in MagiskManager folder on your sdcard. If it does not say success - do NOT proceed
5. Transfer the newly created patched_boot.img back to your PC
6. If you already have ADB and Fastboot tools installed on your PC you can just use what you've got. If not - get them from here
7. Connect your M5 to PC via USB cable
8. Run command prompt. If your ADB and Fastboot are installed as system app - you can do this from any path in CMD. If not - you need to switch in CMD to your ADB and Fastboot folder. Either way, the patched ramdisk patched_boot.img file must be in the same path, from which you will be running commands below in CMD window
9. Type "adb " in CMD window to start android debug bridge
10. Type "adb reboot-bootloader" and wait until your device restarts in Download mode
11. Once in Download mode, type "fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img" - you should see some output from flash procedure, indicating successful flash
12. Once patched ramdisk is flashed, type "fastboot reboot"
That is it - you're done. Once your device reboots it will be rooted.

Note 1: Magisk Manager has it's own built-in superuser app and uses Systemless root, which works completely differently - you will not see external, standalone app like SuperSU or SU you might be familiar with in your App Drawer. The way to control the superuser app is from Magisk Manager itself: Settings->Superuser section
Note 2: I don't do tech support via PM, so don't PM me for help or with questions. Use the thread instead, and some other XDA members or myself will probably help you. Good luck!
Note 3: You may find some links to Huawei stock firmware in the 2nd post

UPDATE - August 6, 2018
Huawei officially approved 8.0.0.171 firmware with GPU Turbo for installation on SHT-AL09 devices. If you're doing first time root - just follow the original steps above. If you are already rooted and want to upgrade to 8.0.0.171 - follow the steps below:

1. Boot into download mode:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
from CMD window
2. Flash stock recovery from 8.0.0.171 to your device in fastboot:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdis.img
3. Download and install the official OTA through Settings (full or just the update)
4. Boot into download mode again and flash patched ramdisk from 8.0.0.171
Code:
fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
5. OPTIONAL: If you were using TWRP or any custom recovery - you will need to reflash it back
Code:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img
or whatever you named your custom recovery image

REMINDER: Do NOT use ramdisk image I provided for any other model besides SHT-AL09 - doing so is guaranteed to render your device unusable. This patched ramdisk is ONLY for SHT-AL09. You will need to extract your own ramdisk from stock firmware, specific to your device model

Needless to say, all the images you are going to flash must reside in the same directory, from which you are going to be running the CMD commands. If your ADB/Fastboot folder is not in your WIndows' PATH environmental variable - the images must be placed in the same folder where ADB/Fastboot binaries are, and CMD commands must be run from that folder.

Last edited:

samiller

Oct 7, 2012
Yes, they still work. I have the same model and build as you and I'm rooted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm considering buying an SHT-W09 with firmware version 8.0.0.200 (C567), but I'd like to know if I can root it first. I do not know if the bootloader has been unlocked. Since you have the same version, can you confirm that it's possible to unlock and root, and if so, sketch out how it's done? I'm confused about whether it's possible with this firmware.

AndDiSa

• Dec 2, 2009
    Heidelberg
    I'm considering buying an SHT-W09 with firmware version 8.0.0.200 (C567), but I'd like to know if I can root it first. I do not know if the bootloader has been unlocked. Since you have the same version, can you confirm that it's possible to unlock and root, and if so, sketch out how it's done? I'm confused about whether it's possible with this firmware.

Unlocking is possible *only* if you've gotten already your unlock code. As this service was suspended about 2 years ago there is no easy way to get it unlocked.

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Small request to developers, or people with access to reliable file hosting: I don't have a developer account, so all the files I linked or referenced in the OP are hosted on free hosting sites. That file hosting has expiration date and max downloads limit, so the files will become inaccessible sooner rather than later. Please upload these files to reliable hosting and create a post with the links. I will link your post in the OP as a mirror.

In the meantime, mirror for SHT-W09 firmware: https://mega.nz/#!asVjmZrR!bW2OmXgTjnyVN4pqb9fA7OzAJ4bzil7YZxNW14qoCmk

Last edited:

Wyverex

Apr 22, 2008
    Hello, can somebody test sixaxis controller tool with root and magisk? There is a Trial in Google Play Store, that is called sixaxis compatibility checker without purchise the App. Maybe i want to buy the Tablet, but only with Dualshock 4 Support...

theboundless

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks Apo11on, great to have root so soon for the M5! Do you know if there's a way to get Xposed working? I tried the Xposed Framework SDK 26 from inside Magisk, but it put me in a boot loop.

fludox

Oct 25, 2012
    @OHP Yes. The OP did it with the 8.4" version which has no pro option.

I'm looking to buy the Chinese 10" wifi version myself but need Google Play Store + Services on it which I'm guessing the Chinese version doesn't have. Is one of the firmwares at the website you link to a global version of the firmware that will work on this model?

OHP

Jan 20, 2010
    Doesn't matter what version you have as long as you have access to your device firmware and the ramdisk.img. You really need to reread the guide.

Problem I have is :

CMR-W09C432B123 (8.0.0.123) from download headlines.

notice the Bold letter.

my Firmware on device:

CMR-W09C432123 (8.0.0.123)

obliviously it could be nothing but I wouldn't want to brick my tablet :fingers-crossed:

Si73

Nov 15, 2007
    Suffolk
    Problem I have is :

CMR-W09C432B123 (8.0.0.123) from download headlines.

notice the Bold letter.

my Firmware on device:

CMR-W09C432123 (8.0.0.123)

obliviously it could be nothing but I wouldn't want to brick my tablet :fingers-crossed:

I have exactly the same tablet/firmware as you and it was fine. The additional letter also threw me a little. But if you are unsure, download Huawei Firmware Finder from Google play and it will automatically detect your tablets firmware (which you can download if you wish).

OHP

Jan 20, 2010
    I have exactly the same tablet/firmware as you and it was fine. The additional letter also threw me a little. But if you are unsure, download Huawei Firmware Finder from Google play and it will automatically detect your tablets firmware (which you can download if you wish).

I took the plunge, and I am sucessfully rooted now :silly:

m5mediapad

May 9, 2018
    struggling with this part
    Note for users with version of M5 other than SHT-AL09: Do NOT use the above ramdisk image. Download the full stock rom (update.zip) from the site I linked in the credits. Extract UPDATE.APP file from the zip. Then use HuaweiUpdateExtractor to extract ramdisk.img specific to your device. If you get errors in HuaweiUpdateExtractor - uncheck first 2 checkboxes for checksum verification on Settings tab and try again

I have a CMR-W09 :s i can got the files downloaded and the huwai software not sure how i make a img

thref23

Jul 27, 2007
    The good news is I followed these instructions yesterday and they worked perfectly (SHT-AL09).

The bad news is, I seem to have lost root overnight.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

And I figured out why I lost root; I was playing around with Developer options and switched the default GPU renderer from 'default' to 'Skia.' Apparently, this disables root access until you switch back. I regained root access on a reboot, lost it again after switching back to Skia, and then regained it after switching back to default.

m5mediapad

May 9, 2018
    I got the right image file from the site and huwai extract. I have googled how to use this app but what files do I extract as there appears to be. Alot ? I extracted all of them ? I don't have a ramdisk.img

Also thanks for writting this up. Without it I would be lost

dkk6

Aug 19, 2017
    Thanks for the efforts making this thread. Unfortunately my device is SHT-W09 and I'm still waiting for the right firmware. Is there anything I can help, considering I have the device?

AndDiSa

• Dec 2, 2009
    Heidelberg
    @dkk6 I am in the same boat as you. Unfortunately I installed the update to 8.0.0 123 without having the Firmware Finder installed on the device. Do you have installed already the update to 8.0.0 123?
    If not, you could install Firmware Finder and provide us with the ota url ...

m5mediapad

May 9, 2018
    This works perfectly no issues. i had some how maanged to download the wrong rom first. AND thankfully it did not have a ramdisk in. it is important that your firmware matches the firmware present on the site as explained. This was easy guide to follow now to flash it with somthing other then andriod

dkk6

Aug 19, 2017
    @dkk6 I am in the same boat as you. Unfortunately I installed the update to 8.0.0 123 without having the Firmware Finder installed on the device. Do you have installed already the update to 8.0.0 123?
    If not, you could install Firmware Finder and provide us with the ota url ...

I'm on 8.0.0.101

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Use the steps below at your own risk . Be mindful of the facts unlocking bootloader voids your warranty and also hard resets your device - ALL YOUR DATA, SETTINGS, FILES AND APPS WILL BE DELETED. Rooting your device voids warranty as well. I own the Chinese SHT-AL09 8.4" LTE device and tested this root procedure ONLY WITH THIS MODEL. However, I believe there is a good chance the steps below will work for all other models of MediaPad M5, including WiFi only variants and 10" models. You MUST unlock your bootloader first. Do NOT use ramdisk image I provide in the steps below for any other model besides SHT-AL09 - doing so is guaranteed to render your device unusable. Ramdisk I provided is ONLY for SHT-AL09. You will need to extract your own ramdisk from stock firmware, specific to your device model

Credits:

1. First, you will need to unlock the bootloader of your M5. Follow this guide
      3. Once bootloader is unlocked, install latest Magisk Manager from the official Magisk thread
      4. Once Magisk Manager gives you a pop-up prompt to either download Magisk zip or patch the boot image file - chose to patch the boot image, but instead of boot.img select ramdisk.img from step 2. Magisk Manager should give you a message the image was successfully patched. It will be saved as patched_boot.img in MagiskManager folder on your sdcard. If it does not say success - do NOT proceed
      5. Transfer the newly created patched_boot.img back to your PC
      6. If you already have ADB and Fastboot tools installed on your PC you can just use what you've got. If not - get them from here
      7. Connect your M5 to PC via USB cable
      8. Run command prompt. If your ADB and Fastboot are installed as system app - you can do this from any path in CMD. If not - you need to switch in CMD to your ADB and Fastboot folder. Either way, the patched ramdisk patched_boot.img file must be in the same path, from which you will be running commands below in CMD window
      9. Type "adb " in CMD window to start android debug bridge
      10. Type "adb reboot-bootloader" and wait until your device restarts in Download mode
      11. Once in Download mode, type "fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img" - you should see some output from flash procedure, indicating successful flash
      12. Once patched ramdisk is flashed, type "fastboot reboot"
      That is it - you're done. Once your device reboots it will be rooted.

Note 1: Magisk Manager has it's own built-in superuser app and uses Systemless root, which works completely differently - you will not see external, standalone app like SuperSU or SU you might be familiar with in your App Drawer. The way to control the superuser app is from Magisk Manager itself: Settings->Superuser section
      Note 2: I don't do tech support via PM, so don't PM me for help or with questions. Use the thread instead, and some other XDA members or myself will probably help you. Good luck!
      Note 3: You may find some links to Huawei stock firmware in the 2nd post

UPDATE - August 6, 2018
      Huawei officially approved 8.0.0.171 firmware with GPU Turbo for installation on SHT-AL09 devices. If you're doing first time root - just follow the original steps above. If you are already rooted and want to upgrade to 8.0.0.171 - follow the steps below:

1. Boot into download mode:
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
      from CMD window
      2. Flash stock recovery from 8.0.0.171 to your device in fastboot:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery_ramdis.img
      3. Download and install the official OTA through Settings (full or just the update)
      4. Boot into download mode again and flash patched ramdisk from 8.0.0.171
      Code:
      fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
      5. OPTIONAL: If you were using TWRP or any custom recovery - you will need to reflash it back
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img
      or whatever you named your custom recovery image

REMINDER: Do NOT use ramdisk image I provided for any other model besides SHT-AL09 - doing so is guaranteed to render your device unusable. This patched ramdisk is ONLY for SHT-AL09. You will need to extract your own ramdisk from stock firmware, specific to your device model

Needless to say, all the images you are going to flash must reside in the same directory, from which you are going to be running the CMD commands. If your ADB/Fastboot folder is not in your WIndows' PATH environmental variable - the images must be placed in the same folder where ADB/Fastboot binaries are, and CMD commands must be run from that folder.
      Small request to developers, or people with access to reliable file hosting: I don't have a developer account, so all the files I linked or referenced in the OP are hosted on free hosting sites. That file hosting has expiration date and max downloads limit, so the files will become inaccessible sooner rather than later. Please upload these files to reliable hosting and create a post with the links. I will link your post in the OP as a mirror.

In the meantime, mirror for SHT-W09 firmware: https://mega.nz/#!asVjmZrR!bW2OmXgTjnyVN4pqb9fA7OzAJ4bzil7YZxNW14qoCmk
      Well then. As far as I followed the Magisk thread this version has been cracked down by the Safety Net guys. The 16.7 still works, don't know how long, bit with a little look until V17 gets released.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs

Just want to clarify that there's been no crackdown on Magisk's ability to hide from SafetyNet. The only thing that has changed recently is that Google have deprecated the old SafetyNet API and starting to enforce the new one. Since many SafetyNet checker apps (including Magisk Manager) were using the old API they can no longer check SafetyNet (Magisk Manager simply gets an "Invalid response"). This has absolutely no relevance for Magisk's ability to hide from SafetyNet, since MagiskHide doesn't use the SafetyNet API. It is only the Magisk Manager that uses SafetyNet to check if the device passes or not. It's pure cosmetics...

Personally I use this app to test SafetyNet (it's been updated with the new API) and pass on all my devices using Magisk (v16.7+):
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scottyab.safetynet.sample
      Just a heads up, been following threads on this forum for flashing a GSI. Now that you guys can root, you can also make backups of your own stock system image if you can't find one from Firmware Finder. Then you can safely try flashing the GSI.
      @dkk6 I found it: when you open the firmware finder and go to the menu there is an entry share firmware and there you can find also the instructions.

I couldn't do it with that program, but a colleague do the job using WireShark. So here is the URL: http://update.hicloud.com:8180/TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1971/g1719/v132240/f1/full/update.zip

That's the requests going around while downloading. We managed to download the file, following the URL. So hopefully you can do the rest of the magic.

GET /TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1971/g1719/v132240/f1/full/update.zip HTTP/1.1
      Host: update.hicloud.com:8180
      Connection: Keep-Alive
      User-Agent: HwOUCDownloadManager

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      Accept-Ranges: bytes
      Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="update.zip";
      Content-Type: application/zip
      Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 08:45:23 GMT
      ETag: "5adb0844-180cb7c6"
      Last-Modified: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 09:45:40 GMT
      Server: nginx
      Content-Length: 403486662