[ROOT] Root NVidia Shield Tablet - Lollipop (also locked bootloader)

Search This thread

sandrodjay

Aug 4, 2010
Hi all,
The original credits for the root go to SuperPichu for the following post: http://xdaforums.com/shield-tablet/development/root-root-lollipop-t2945044

I simply "modified" his process, to make it even more "hassle free" :)
The process will wipe your data, so remember to backup it.
Besides, I'm not responsible if warranty voids or whatever. Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it. The fastboot unlock procedure has been taken directly by the NVidia Developer's site, so they actually expect the users to do that - but what you will do next, it's all your responsability :)

So, the overall procedure looks like:
  • Download&Install the "Mini" ADB/Fastboot from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269#post42407269 (remember to say yes to create the link on the desktop - it will be useful later)
  • Download&Install NVIDIA ADB Drivers from the official Nvidia site: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/mobile/shield/SHIELDTablet_WHQL_USB_driver.zip
  • Enable "Developer Mode" on the Nvidia Tablet (Settings -> About tablet -> Tap many times (5+) the "Build number" until the Developer Mode is activated
  • Developer Mode -> Enable USB Debugging
  • Copy the CWM image and SuperSU (rename it to supersu.zip) where you installed the Mini ADB/Fastboot (default: C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
  • Click the link created by the Mini ADB/Fastboot installation. It should open a DOS console already at the install folder.
  • (In the Windows console) Type "adb reboot bootloader"
  • From the rebooted tab, select "Load fastboot protocol" with Volume Keys and push the power switch to confirm
  • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot oem unlock"
  • [ATTENTION: This step will wipe your device] Press the "Volume Down" button to select, with the "Power" button, the "Unlock bootloader" option on device
  • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
  • On the tablet, select "recovery reboot"
  • You should be now on CWM. Simply select "install zip from file" -> install from sideload
  • In the console, type "adb sideload supersu.zip"
  • On CWM select "reboot system", CWM will ask to keep root => say yes
  • Enjoy your rooted tablet :)

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Very nice! I wish there was a way to do this without installing custom recovery (so that we can accept ota updates). The Shield Portable is easier. Just unlock, and run the shield root image. It doesn't install Custom Recovery and is a very similar process to Chainfire's CF Auto Root methods.

Reactions: Meganes

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012
Very nice! I wish there was a way to do this without installing custom recovery (so that we can accept ota updates). The Shield Portable is easier. Just unlock, and run the shield root image. It doesn't install Custom Recovery and is a very similar process to Chainfire's CF Auto Root methods.

Well first off I havent had any issues with ota updates on CWM (took kitkat otas). Second, if you really don't want a custom recovery why not just obtain root then flash back the stock recovery?? ❓❓❓

sandrodjay

Aug 4, 2010
To be honest with you, I haven't updated yet - but the OTA seems to work (i.e. it's currently saying that my Firmware is up-to-date, no errors). Just wait a couple of weeks (NVIDIA released a firmware update every month until now :good: ) and I'll let you know if it works ;)

Btw, even if I loose the the root/CWM, it's not a great deal to install it again :)

FYI, as soon as you root or modify a stock 5.x.x (Lollipop) image, you'll no longer be able to accept OTA anymore without first flashing back to stock (this applies to all devices - although you might be able to manually flash a new update) - I guess we'll find out once 5.0.1 is released for the Shield...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012
FYI, as soon as you root or modify a stock 5.x.x (Lollipop) image, you'll no longer be able to accept OTA anymore without first flashing back to stock (this applies to all devices - although you might be able to manually flash a new update) - I guess we'll find out once 5.0.1 is released for the Shield...

Good to know. ?But we should be able to flash the ota zips via recovery and flash super su and possibly recovery (locked bootloaders, ota can overwrite recovery) just like we did to update to lolli. I usually see zips before I see the ota anyways.

w.0.o.t

Jul 30, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it.
I have contacted NVIDIA today, asking steps to move back to Kitkat. I was given instructions to unlock the bootloader, and was assured it will not void the warranty. The assistant was being meticulous regarding this, since she asked around for her colleagues' advice before giving me the information.

So if I ever need to send in for warranty, all I have to do is reflash the factory image to get rid of the root and I'll be all set. If they make a fuss about me having an unlocked bootloader, I'll have a chat transcript to back me up. You guys may want to do the same too. ;)

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010

Just took 5.0.1 (wasn't rooted or anything). So I was thinking if I flash the CWM, then do a stock backup, then proceeed to root I should be able to restore the backup when a new OTA comes out since it will be unrooted and stock. Then I can update, install recovery if needed, make another unrooted stock backup, for the next time then reroot, right?

cyraxx84

Jul 5, 2012
Should work, but after restoring your stock backup you will need the stock Recovery too to update ota.

sorenjul

Nov 30, 2009
Hi

There is no need to flash the custom recovery if you don't want to. Just do a fastboot boot recovery <recovery.img>. I did that because i didn't want to change to another recovery.
After the reboot you will revert to stock recovery.

\Sorenjul

Just to make sure, if you unlock the bootloader through "fastboot oem unlock" theres no way to reverse it in case need to send in for warranty repair, just like samsung devices with the stupid KNOX e-fuse? Or you can just revert everything (flash stock image/recovery and then fastboot oem lock)?

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
Just to make sure, if you unlock the bootloader through "fastboot oem unlock" theres no way to reverse it in case need to send in for warranty repair, just like samsung devices with the stupid KNOX e-fuse? Or you can just revert everything (flash stock image/recovery and then fastboot oem lock)?

Unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty (and even if it did, they would still be able to figure out if you've unlocked it before, even after relocking)

cyraxx84

Jul 5, 2012
Ofcourse you can relock and go to 99.999% stock. 99.9% bacause after un- & relock there will be a little sign which shows nvidia that your bootloader was unlocked but you can't remove it. But as far as i know it doesn't void your warranty!

Reactions: eurominican

oleg77

Feb 2, 2011
root method LTE compatible

Hello,
I'm expecting a 32GB tablet (LTE/4G device) soon. Does your ROOT method work for the LTE model, or is it just for the 16GB (wifi only) device ?
Thank you.

Granger77

Apr 14, 2014
Driver issues

I cant for the life of me get my win 7 64bit pc to install the drivers I've tried uninstall and going through manually with the naked driver method and it still says the device doesnt need it his tutorial is for win 8 am I missing something, I'm losing my mind over here I want this thing rooted so bad I'm losing sleep, and google has been useless

Ofcourse you can relock and go to 99.999% stock. 99.9% bacause after un- & relock there will be a little sign which shows nvidia that your bootloader was unlocked but you can't remove it. But as far as i know it doesn't void your warranty!
Ty for info and reply.
Unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty (and even if it did, they would still be able to figure out if you've unlocked it before, even after relocking)
Got it. Thanks!
Hello,
I'm expecting a 32GB tablet (LTE/4G device) soon. Does your ROOT method work for the LTE model, or is it just for the 16GB (wifi only) device ?
Thank you.

Same here. I got mine on sale with the controlller. I suspect its the same on both wifi only and LTE version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    The original credits for the root go to SuperPichu for the following post: http://xdaforums.com/shield-tablet/development/root-root-lollipop-t2945044

I simply "modified" his process, to make it even more "hassle free" :)
    The process will wipe your data, so remember to backup it.
    Besides, I'm not responsible if warranty voids or whatever. Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it. The fastboot unlock procedure has been taken directly by the NVidia Developer's site, so they actually expect the users to do that - but what you will do next, it's all your responsability :)

So, the overall procedure looks like:
    • Download&Install the "Mini" ADB/Fastboot from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269#post42407269 (remember to say yes to create the link on the desktop - it will be useful later)
    • Download&Install NVIDIA ADB Drivers from the official Nvidia site: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/mobile/shield/SHIELDTablet_WHQL_USB_driver.zip
    • Enable "Developer Mode" on the Nvidia Tablet (Settings -> About tablet -> Tap many times (5+) the "Build number" until the Developer Mode is activated
    • Developer Mode -> Enable USB Debugging
    • Copy the CWM image and SuperSU (rename it to supersu.zip) where you installed the Mini ADB/Fastboot (default: C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
    • Click the link created by the Mini ADB/Fastboot installation. It should open a DOS console already at the install folder.
    • (In the Windows console) Type "adb reboot bootloader"
    • From the rebooted tab, select "Load fastboot protocol" with Volume Keys and push the power switch to confirm
    • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot oem unlock"
    • [ATTENTION: This step will wipe your device] Press the "Volume Down" button to select, with the "Power" button, the "Unlock bootloader" option on device
    • (In the Windows console) Type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    • On the tablet, select "recovery reboot"
    • You should be now on CWM. Simply select "install zip from file" -> install from sideload
    • In the console, type "adb sideload supersu.zip"
    • On CWM select "reboot system", CWM will ask to keep root => say yes
    • Enjoy your rooted tablet :)
    Just keep in mind that unlocking the FASTBOOT may void the warranty, as it will displayed when you will unlock it.
    I have contacted NVIDIA today, asking steps to move back to Kitkat. I was given instructions to unlock the bootloader, and was assured it will not void the warranty. The assistant was being meticulous regarding this, since she asked around for her colleagues' advice before giving me the information.

So if I ever need to send in for warranty, all I have to do is reflash the factory image to get rid of the root and I'll be all set. If they make a fuss about me having an unlocked bootloader, I'll have a chat transcript to back me up. You guys may want to do the same too. ;)
    Yes.... Follow it exactly and you will be fine... You must unlock the bootloader and either flash or boot into CWM recovery to sideload SuperSu. You can not install SuperSu from within a booted OS.. you must do it from a recovery (and not Nvidia's).

Can i follow this guide to unlock and root 5.0.1?

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

No Problems for LTE...

Hello,
    Thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Load the Nvidia Driver in Windows first... get ADB Composite Driver working.. You should be able to ADB while booted in Android OS if you have USB Debugging on the shield tablet checked

If you have an exclamation point Uninstall (check off delete drivers if its present). You want to start clean.

At the ! right mouse click and click update driver software. Browse to the Nvidia Shield Tablet Drivers (download and extract first ) folder. It should install. If not go to #2.

If all is good... reboot into fastboot..

The same driver should show as (if I remember) Fast Boot Driver (or something like that). If not repeat above (#1) while in Fastboot mode on your Shield. If that does not work goto #2

#2 At the ! right mouse click and click update driver click "Let me Pick from a List" Uncheck "show compatible hardware". Under Manufactorer find Android (at the top) then select Fast Boot or ADB Composite Driver (which ever is appropriate - if your in the boot loader pick fastboot if your in recovery pick ADB Composite Driver).

Make sure fastboot works in the boot loader and then ADB while boot in the Android OS.

Now reboot into the recovery (CWM, Nvidia, etc.)... Go to install from file (ADB - what ever it says to side load a zip)... If it doesnt work the driver will either have an exclamation, it may not even be called Shield Tablet, etc... Do #2. #1 almost never works.

Hope this helps...

I cant for the life of me get my win 7 64bit pc to install the drivers I've tried uninstall and going through manually with the naked driver method and it still says the device doesnt need it his tutorial is for win 8 am I missing something, I'm losing my mind over here I want this thing rooted so bad I'm losing sleep, and google has been useless
    What's the flash command?

The flash command to unlock your bootloader which is "fastboot oem unlock"

Then the one to flash your recovery which is "fastboot flash recovery [nameofimage].img
    Hello,

Yes, I'm in command prompt. I downloaded the file to both the desktop and folder. However, it does not say in the tutorial to change the path of the file.

Should I close the original command prompt and manual chose the I'm file in a new window??

Sent from my 1+1

Edit: Hello, i figured it out. I just moved all the root files to the original path in the C drive. Noob mistake. I just assmused the it would be there. Thanks. @MidgetMob

For future reference, download all the required files into a folder (I have D:/Downloads/Android) and hold Shift and right-click in an empty space in the folder. You'll see the option "Open a command window here," which will automatically send you to that directory, so you can just type your commands (ie, "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img") from there.