[ROOT] Rooting for SGP611 with giefroot (Bootloader Locked)

Search This thread

centric dk

Oct 9, 2010
Hi

I have followed the guide. Thanks for the good work! However, I have encounted a problem.

My tablet had firmware version 23.0.1.A.0.167 from the beginning, so I succesfully flashed to D6603 (23.0.A.2.93). Flashtool says "Android version : 4.4.4 / kernel version : 3.4.0-perf-gd4d661a / Build number : 23.0.A.2.93"

I have enabled USB Debugging and Allow mock locations as well as Unknown sources.
I have disabled Verify apps and Verify apps over USB is greyed out but disabled.

I have installed all driveres for Flashtool 0.9.13.0 and completed step 8 in the guide.

Step 9 is where I have the problem: I run the bat file and the script reconize the tablet, does something to it and succesfully restarts the tablet as written in the script. However after that the script does something for a few seconds and then the command window closes.

I tried to run Backup TA, but it says the tablet does not have root access. Have I missed something, how do I get root access after completing step 8?

kvi

Jun 23, 2009
I have installed all driveres for Flashtool 0.9.13.0 and completed step 8 in the guide.

Step 9 is where I have the problem: I run the bat file and the script reconize the tablet, does something to it and succesfully restarts the tablet as written in the script. However after that the script does something for a few seconds and then the command window closes.

I tried to run Backup TA, but it says the tablet does not have root access. Have I missed something, how do I get root access after completing step 8?
(google translate)
In step 8 once tried to root the tablet can read the message "press a key to continue" and the tablet will reboot. Wait for android boot and press a key. If all goes well, the text should appear:
..Done. You can now unplug your device.
and otherwise the text will read:
..Error: device not rooted
It may be that you have to try several times until it works
Now make a backup of TA and not lose sight of the tablet because it will ask root permissions
(/google translate)

nkrebs13

May 16, 2013
Columbus
Not sure what I'm missing - Emma issues

I have tried to log in to flash the firmware through Emma. I have tried registering for the application with 3 different usernames and 3 different email addresses. It has now been 24 hours without a single email to any email address. I cannot use Emma without an active login. Anyone else run into this?

centric dk

Oct 9, 2010
(google translate)
In step 8 once tried to root the tablet can read the message "press a key to continue" and the tablet will reboot. Wait for android boot and press a key. If all goes well, the text should appear:
..Done. You can now unplug your device.
and otherwise the text will read:
..Error: device not rooted
It may be that you have to try several times until it works
Now make a backup of TA and not lose sight of the tablet because it will ask root permissions
(/google translate)
Thanks! :good:
Now I have root access! It worked when I pressed a key to continue just after the Android sign appeared during the reboot. All the other times I waited until the reboot was completed before I pressed a key to continue.

I have now created a backup TA, but are having problems restoring the stock firmware.

I'm stuck at step 27. *EDIT* I've downloaded the latest version using XperiFirm_3.5_(by_Igor_Eisberg) and used Flashtool to create the TFT-file, and used Flashtool to flash the unit without any problems in a minute or two.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

demon82

Feb 17, 2009
PLEASE HELP Z3C Tablet (SGP611) ROOT

Hi everyone,
I need a little help with rooting my Tablet.
What I did until now:
1. I flashed The System partition of the Z3 mobile phone 23.0.A.2.93
2. I rooted the firmware with Giefroot and made a Backup of the TA.
3. then I flashed the tablet firmware 23.0.1.A.0.167.
4. Now I unlocked the Bootloader
Now I don`t know what to do next. I`ve been reading different tutorials and now I`m not sure what to do. Is the next step building the rooted firmware with PRFCreator and just flash it?
Or do I have to flash the Advanced Stock Kernel and follow this HOWTO???
http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-t...e-drm-t3015494
Please help me doing this, I`m sitting here since two days trying to find the right steps but still not sure how to finish it....
Oh, and I hope it is clear what I mean, my english is not the best sorry for that.

rurie

Jan 28, 2015
Hi everyone,
I need a little help with rooting my Tablet.
What I did until now:
1. I flashed The System partition of the Z3 mobile phone 23.0.A.2.93
2. I rooted the firmware with Giefroot and made a Backup of the TA.
3. then I flashed the tablet firmware 23.0.1.A.0.167.
4. Now I unlocked the Bootloader
Now I don`t know what to do next. I`ve been reading different tutorials and now I`m not sure what to do. Is the next step building the rooted firmware with PRFCreator and just flash it?
Or do I have to flash the Advanced Stock Kernel and follow this HOWTO???
http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-t...e-drm-t3015494
Please help me doing this, I`m sitting here since two days trying to find the right steps but still not sure how to finish it....
Oh, and I hope it is clear what I mean, my english is not the best sorry for that.

You need to flash Advanced Stock Kernel and to create rooted zip with PRFCreator.
After unlock bootloader, flash Advanced Stock Kernel with fastboot and flash rooted zip in recovery.
If you need detail instruction, you can refer following lowtraxx's thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-...t/root-root-locked-bootloader-sgp621-t3013534
(refer the section: To install rooted Stock, and replace SGP621_23.0.1.A.0.167_CE.ftf with SGP611 23.0.1.A.0.167 ftf)

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
I finished step 5 and everything went according to the tutorial, but now the tablet doesnt boot up. In flashtool it still detects it and I can boot into flashmode but pressing the power button only vibrates the device for a second and then it doesnt do anything.

jskusk

Mar 6, 2015
Hi. Thanks for the tutorial. I have now saved the TA keys and ready for step 12. In that thread the guy bundles/compiles his own 23.0.1.A.0.167 ftf. In the thread he writes:

I compiled my own by downloading the firmware using XperiFirm by laguCool and bundling the FTF using Flashtool.

In flashtool when bundling one has to select the device model - in my case SPG611 - but I can not find it from the list. I use the newest version of flashtool. Which device models do you guys use or do you just download a pre made one? If so, then only one I found was titled NL but I prefer EN.

/Kusk

Dolphin Trainer

Jul 5, 2010
Brisbane
Success with SGP612

I couldn't find anyone, anywhere, who had successfully rooted a bootloader locked SGP612 (Z3TC 32GB WiFi variant), so I took the plunge and tried it myself using this method. And....

It works!

By replacing any SGP611 specific firmware with SGP612 firmware, this method was successful for me. It took about 10 attempts, and I did a factory reset after installing the D6603 firmware, but it worked! So even though the exploit references SGP611, it works fine on SGP612 too. The only difference between these devices is their onboard storage anyway.

Last edited:

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Lollipop

Thinking of doing this before I move to lollipop. Has anyone worked out what it needed to be done to keep root when lollipop is flashed. Is it even possible?

glimmling

Jan 27, 2011
tuetenmensch.blogspot.com
I couldn't find anyone, anywhere, who had successfully rooted a bootloader locked SGP612 (Z3TC 32GB WiFi variant), so I took the plunge and tried it myself using this method. And....

It works!

By replacing any SGP611 specific firmware with SGP612 firmware, this method was successful for me. It took about 10 attempts, and I did a factory reset after installing the D6603 firmware, but it worked! So even though the exploit references SGP611, it works fine on SGP612 too. The only difference between these devices is their onboard storage anyway.

Thank you for confirming the SGP612. Now I'm rooted too.

The Giefroot script didn't worked on my Windows 8.1 x64 PC and I tried it ~15 times. After executing the commands from the script manually in cmd.exe, it worked in the first running.

Do you already upgraded to Lollipop with a flashable zip? Do we have to wipe data, when upgrading?

Thanks!

rp3

Mar 26, 2010

It works!

Thanks. With XperiaFirm to download the 612's 167 firmware, resetting post 6603 flash AND manual command entry on windows 8.1, I was able to root and backup TA on a new Z3TC

Last edited:

Dolphin Trainer

Jul 5, 2010
Brisbane

The Giefroot script didn't worked on my Windows 8.1 x64 PC and I tried it ~15 times. After executing the commands from the script manually in cmd.exe, it worked in the first running.

Do you already upgraded to Lollipop with a flashable zip? Do we have to wipe data, when upgrading?

Glad to hear it worked! I just upgraded to Lollipop now and no data wipe is required. Make a pre-rooted zip using PRF creator and flash from TWRP. To get system R/W access back, run SGP621-RICDefeat.zip from one of the other threads here.

Reactions: glimmling

glimmling

Jan 27, 2011
tuetenmensch.blogspot.com
Glad to hear it worked! I just upgraded to Lollipop now and no data wipe is required. Make a pre-rooted zip using PRF creator and flash from TWRP. To get system R/W access back, run SGP621-RICDefeat.zip from one of the other threads here.

I flashed the RICDefeat.zip directly after flashing the pre-rooted KitKat. No problems so far with R/W for system after 2 days of usage. To get R/W for the external SDCard I installed SDFix.

My prepared flashable-zip for Lollipop is already on my PC. I think, I will wait until XZDualRecovery is ready for Lollipop. It's my first Sony device and the things are much more tricky than with my old Nexus 7. It tooks me a few hours to complete all the steps including backups and restoring my files. But the Sony tablet is much better compared to the N7 .

greye05

Jul 30, 2013
SO i made a lollipo ftf pre rooted but when i tried to flash RICDefeat it would give me an error. I rebooted the system and everything seems fine, what exactly did that zip file do. What problems im i going to have with the divice and is there any way of fixing it.

thx

vonski

Sep 16, 2006
www.alacarte.com.pl
I've rooted my P611, but I completly don't know how to return to stock (now I'm on rooted D6603 software). There is link to other threat (step 12) but it's starts with "Unlock bootloader". Do I really have to unlock BL to have rooted stock via method from this thread??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: This instruction may brick your device permanently. I am not
    responsible for any your loss or damage.

The following is the instruction to get root for SGP611 with giefroot(http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/giefroot-rooting-tool-cve-2014-4322-t3011598)

Requirement:
    Bootloader Locked Z3 Tablet Compact Wi-Fi 16GB (SGP611)
    D6603(Generic GLOBAL 23.0.A.2.93) firmware (You can got it from XperiFirm)
    Flashtool
    Install driver included in Flashtool
    Patched version of giefroot_v3 (View attachment giefroot_v3_sgp611_fix1.zip)

Download:
    View attachment giefroot_v3_sgp611_fix1.zip

Small Instruction:
    1.Backup
    2.Flash SGP611 firmware (23.0.1.A.0.167) if other version is installed
    3.Flash D6603 system partition (23.0.A.2.93)
    4.Enable [USB Debug] and [mock locations] and [Unknown Source] , then run install.bat in (View attachment giefroot_v3_sgp611_fix1.zip)
    5.You got root!
    6.Backup TA, Back to SGP611 firmware

Instruction:
    1. Backup all your data (including application data and internal storage)

2. Get SGP611(23.0.1.A.0.167) firmware

3. Get D6603 firmware(Generic GLOBAL 23.0.A.2.93 ftf) from somewhere

4. If firmware version of your device is not 23.0.1.A.0.167, then flash all
    contents of ftf to back to 23.0.1.A.0.167
    (Start Flashtool and click "flash device", then choose "Flashmode".
    On "Firmware Selector" select SGP611 firmware.
    Uncheck APPSLOG, CACHE, DATA in Wipe menu.
    Check all checkbox in Exclude menu.
    Unckeck KERNEL in Exclude menu.
    Then click Flash button.
    Shutdown your device and connect USB on holding volume down.
    Wait 20minute or more to finish.
    )

5. Flash only system partition of D6603 (23.0.A.2.93)
    (Open "Firmware Selector" with same instruction above.
    select D6603 firmware.
    Uncheck APPSLOG, CACHE, DATA in Wipe menu.
    Check all checkbox in Exclude menu.
    Unckeck SYSTEM in Exclude menu.
    Then click Flash button.
    And flash with same instruction above.
    )

6. Power on your device, then enable [USB Debugging] and [Allow mock
    locations] in Developer options. And enable [Unknown sources] in Security
    setting.
    Added:
    Disable [Verify apps over USB] in Developer options, and disable [Verify apps] in Security setting.
    Thanks kvi!

7. Install usb driver included in Flashtool

8. Download giefroot_v3_sgp611.zip and extract zip

9. Run install.bat in extracted folder, then wait for about 1minute

10. You got root!

11. Backup TA

12. Restore stock firmware by following insruction of this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-...-to-rooted-stock-sgp621-firmware-drm-t3015494
    (replace SGP621 to SGP611 in the instruction)

Thanks to zxz0O0 for giefroot and some other tools.
    zxz0O0 spend so much time to make giefroot work on SGP611 kernel.

Thanks to lowtraxx for root instruction for SGP621.
    (http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-...t/root-root-locked-bootloader-sgp621-t3013534)

Thanks to CubicU07 for instruction to restore stock firmware.

The old version (giefroot_v3_sgp611.zip) does not work.
    Please try new version (View attachment giefroot_v3_sgp611_fix1.zip).
    I'm sorry.
    Success with SGP612

It works!

rooted OK disabling all options for check/verify apps ! (1 option in security + 1 option in Developer options) , Backup TA OK
    TA restored on rooted stock firmware , drm keys OK
    Thx!
    Has anyone got this working with SGP612 yet? (32gb Wifi only version). I have't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it should be similar to SGP611?