[Root][RS988] Rooting RS988

Search This thread

xaviex

Apr 1, 2015
Now that LG has released the bootloader unlock for the RS988 it can now be rooted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------Disclaimer---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is meant to be educational and I am not responsible for any lost data or damaged devices resulting from the following instructions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----Instructions on Unlocking your bootloader can be found here---------
WARNING THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR DEVICE
https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/official-european-lg-g5-h850-bootloader-t3363040
The only difference is selecting RS988 when selecting your device
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requierments:
ADB
fastboot
An RS988 LGG5
The working (though not entirely tested!) TWRP image is found here https://build.nethunter.com/test-builds/twrp/lge/twrp-3.0.2-1-rs988.img (Thank you jeffsga88 for finding this link)
The Latest SuperSu Binary

Step 1:
Make sure your RS988 is fully updated, the rebooting into the bootloader is only unlocked in the most recent updates.

Step 2:
Enable Developer options and USB Debugging

Step 3:
Enter Command
Code:
adb reboot bootloder

Step 4:
Once in bootloader run
Code:
fastboot flash recovery [path to twrp image on your pc]

Step 5:
Turn off the device DO NOT let it boot back into android!!
If you do boot back into android, you will need to re-flash TWRP (Steps 1-4)

Step 6:
With your device unplugged, hold power and volume down, releasing the power button for a moment when you see the LG logo, then
re-pressing the button to enter recovery, on the following screen select yes both times

Step 7:
(The Following Text other than step numbers is written by and entirely created by jcadduono, and can be also found at his post at https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/recovery-team-win-recovery-project-lg-g5-t3363047)
At this point, you will see the TWRP splash and reach a screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don't follow step 8 you will be unable to boot!
If you are going to root your device or follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
Step 8:
Only if you want internal storage or data to work in TWRP:
Go to [Wipe] -> [Format Data] (not advanced wipe) -> type "yes".
WARNING: This will wipe your internal storage, disable encryption, and factory reset your phone!
Go to [Reboot] -> [Recovery].

Step 9:
Please consider backing up your stock boot partition in TWRP before proceeding to the next steps!
Step 10:
If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
Download the latest SuperSU stable by Chainfire.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
-or-
If you only want a bootable system partition or writable data in TWRP:
Download dm-verity and force encryption disabler.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.

Step 11:
Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
---------End of jcadduono post clip-------------

Now upon reboot, the phone may loop a few times and take up to 5 minutes to complete the process.

When you get into the device, run through setup as normal and you will have SuperSu installed and you will be rooted.

I can not verify Magisk Root Yet but will be attempting to do so soon.

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
You guys that have the rs988 you may want to ask one of the devs to add support for LOS and custom ROMs. But don't bug them either.

Maybe @King_lilrowrow could help if he has time, although I know he's been busy lately with other things. Hopefully someone will help you guys out. I have no idea how to, otherwise I would try and help. Nice you guys have rootr and twrp finally though.

Last edited:

AriesTruong

Apr 6, 2012
I am using latest version: RS98810d

Step 4: flash recovery finished without error but cannot Power Off when press "Power" for 10 seconds so I unplug batterry then plugin again and press "Power+Volume down" but it cannot so I tried run command "fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-1-rs988.img" after re-flash recovery but system shows:
=======================================
D:\adb>fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-1-rs988.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.554s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.585s
==========================================

Last edited:

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro

Step 4: flash recovery finished without error but cannot Power Off when press "Power" for 10 seconds so I unplug batterry then plugin again and press "Power+Volume down" but it cannot so I tried run command "fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-1-rs988.img" after re-flash recovery but system shows:
OKAY [ 0.554s]
booting...

After flashing recovery, unplug USB cable and pull battery. Put battery back in, then press and hold volume down (hold volume down entire time) and press and hold the power button, when you see the lg logo, let go of power button for 1 second and then press and hold power button again until it reaches factory reset screen. One at factory reset screen select yes both times and you'll enter TWRP. When using the buttons remember to never let go of the volume down button only the power button for 1 second at lg logo.

You can also try after flashing it:
adb reboot recovery

Note: you must reflash TWRP if you allowed it to boot into os without flashing SuperSU or magisk.

Reactions: AriesTruong

xaviex

Apr 1, 2015

OKAY [ 0.554s]
booting...

It is stated instead of doing that you turn off the phone and boot into the recovery with power+voldown

AriesTruong

Apr 6, 2012
After flashing recovery, unplug USB cable and pull battery. Put battery back in, then press and hold volume down (hold volume down entire time) and press and hold the power button, when you see the lg logo, let go of power button for 1 second and then press and hold power button again until it reaches factory reset screen. One at factory reset screen select yes both times and you'll enter TWRP. When using the buttons remember to never let go of the volume down button only the power button for 1 second at lg logo.

adb reboot recovery

Note: you must reflash TWRP if you allowed it to boot into os without flashing SuperSU or magisk.
I've followed your steps and I can root successful. Thanks alot

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
I've held off on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, since it seems there currently are no ROMs available for the RS988 to flash. Basically you just end up with rooted stock?

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've held off on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, since it seems there currently are no ROMs available for the RS988 to flash. Basically you just end up with rooted stock?

Yes, currently all you can do is install TWRP and root stock. You can also install some audio mods like viper, but no custom ROMs yet for this version of the device.

maRioHD

Mar 11, 2010
Is there a touch TWRP recovery available? Granted I'm not sure if I will be able to flash it, since my power button is broken.

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is there a touch TWRP recovery available? Granted I'm not sure if I will be able to flash it, since my power button is broken.

Yes it's touch TWRP, can't even remember last time I saw a non-touch based one, been at least 3 years or so. Anyways it's located in the op. As far as flashing it, I believe you can do it without the power button. The issue will be rebooting to recovery after flashing it to flash SuperSU or magisk (if you don't do that or at least get into TWRP before first bit after flashing and delete the recovery from boot.p file, TWRP will be overwritten by default recovery and you have to flash again). While in fastboot mode, after flashing you could try and use:
Code:
adb reboot recovery
Not sure if that will get work or not while in fastboot mode, but something to try since your power button is broke.

maRioHD

Mar 11, 2010
Thank you for the advice. I'll try to give it a go tomorrow and report my success. And ya it's been a while since i have been able to do anything to my phone.

jeffsga88

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is the latest build RS98811d? Please confirm..

cheers!

You can always check using LG bridge and use update feature. If just wanting to know because your wanting to root and get TWRP, try and follow the guide. If you're not on latest version you'll know because you won't be able to unlock the bootloader using fastboot. If you can unlock your bootloader, you're good to go.

Here's the link and info for LG bridge and using it to check for updates:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGRS988

xaviex

Apr 1, 2015
Yes it's touch TWRP, can't even remember last time I saw a non-touch based one, been at least 3 years or so. Anyways it's located in the op. As far as flashing it, I believe you can do it without the power button. The issue will be rebooting to recovery after flashing it to flash SuperSU or magisk (if you don't do that or at least get into TWRP before first bit after flashing and delete the recovery from boot.p file, TWRP will be overwritten by default recovery and you have to flash again). While in fastboot mode, after flashing you could try and use:

Not sure if that will get work or not while in fastboot mode, but something to try since your power button is broke.

Adb reboot recovery sadly does not work, i encountered this myself , a replacement power button is quite cheap though

wasabitobiko

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for the reply..

Gonna wait until there's some development happening for this device..

Cheers!

You can always check using LG bridge and use update feature. If just wanting to know because your wanting to root and get TWRP, try and follow the guide. If you're not on latest version you'll know because you won't be able to unlock the bootloader using fastboot. If you can unlock your bootloader, you're good to go.

Here's the link and info for LG bridge and using it to check for updates:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGRS988

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that LG has released the bootloader unlock for the RS988 it can now be rooted.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Disclaimer---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This post is meant to be educational and I am not responsible for any lost data or damaged devices resulting from the following instructions
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----Instructions on Unlocking your bootloader can be found here---------
    WARNING THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR DEVICE
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/official-european-lg-g5-h850-bootloader-t3363040
    The only difference is selecting RS988 when selecting your device
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requierments:
    ADB
    fastboot
    An RS988 LGG5
    The working (though not entirely tested!) TWRP image is found here https://build.nethunter.com/test-builds/twrp/lge/twrp-3.0.2-1-rs988.img (Thank you jeffsga88 for finding this link)
    The Latest SuperSu Binary

Step 1:
    Make sure your RS988 is fully updated, the rebooting into the bootloader is only unlocked in the most recent updates.

Step 2:
    Enable Developer options and USB Debugging

Step 3:
    Enter Command
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloder

Step 4:
    Once in bootloader run
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery [path to twrp image on your pc]

Step 5:
    Turn off the device DO NOT let it boot back into android!!
    If you do boot back into android, you will need to re-flash TWRP (Steps 1-4)

Step 6:
    With your device unplugged, hold power and volume down, releasing the power button for a moment when you see the LG logo, then
    re-pressing the button to enter recovery, on the following screen select yes both times

Step 7:
    (The Following Text other than step numbers is written by and entirely created by jcadduono, and can be also found at his post at https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/development/recovery-team-win-recovery-project-lg-g5-t3363047)
    At this point, you will see the TWRP splash and reach a screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don't follow step 8 you will be unable to boot!
    If you are going to root your device or follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
    Step 8:
    Only if you want internal storage or data to work in TWRP:
    Go to [Wipe] -> [Format Data] (not advanced wipe) -> type "yes".
    WARNING: This will wipe your internal storage, disable encryption, and factory reset your phone!
    Go to [Reboot] -> [Recovery].

Step 9:
    Please consider backing up your stock boot partition in TWRP before proceeding to the next steps!
    Step 10:
    If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
    Download the latest SuperSU stable by Chainfire.
    Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
    -or-
    If you only want a bootable system partition or writable data in TWRP:
    Download dm-verity and force encryption disabler.
    Without exiting TWRP, transfer the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.

Step 11:
    Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
    ---------End of jcadduono post clip-------------

Now upon reboot, the phone may loop a few times and take up to 5 minutes to complete the process.

When you get into the device, run through setup as normal and you will have SuperSu installed and you will be rooted.

I can not verify Magisk Root Yet but will be attempting to do so soon.
    Wait a minute, we have Resurrection Remix? I've looked around XDA forums and can't seem to find it. Could you please provide me with a link?
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/help/rs988-developer-news-t3653066/page2
    Theres bugs and possibly no fast charging. But overall stable at least for paranoid android.

OKAY [ 0.554s]
    booting...

adb reboot recovery

Go into tarp and flash no force encrypt or SuperSU as this will also disable the force encryption. No need to use the kdz method if it's doing encryption issue and you still have access to TWRP. Go to TWRP thread and download no verity zip and put on internal or external sd card and flash through TWRP or use SuperSU (you may want to format data from within TWRP first before flashing just to be safe).

Thanks for the advice but my issue was I COULDN'T go to TWRP, I was seeing the factory reset menu instead of TWRP and since this scenario was never mentioned I was thinking something is wrong. Later I did find the solution by autoprime on the forum, here it is:

If TWRP is flashed you must go through the default Factory Reset menu to load TWRP.
    (unless you have a model that goes right into full recovery menu)

I have no idea why no one mentioned it, I was sure the flash wasn't successful.
    Was rooting through Magisk the same process as SuperSU?

I'd prefer to use Magisk but the verity stuff has me a little confused. Right now I'm just sitting with the bootloader unlocked trying to get a better understanding of rooting this phone (verity, what to do about encryption..etc).
    What you want to do is just flash the latest magisk and your set basically.