[ROOT][S/SL] How-to for rooting newest firmware 6.2.B.1.96

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
[ info ]

So guys I have got root on the newest firmware 6.2.B.1.96!

Since Sony has patched our beloved perf_event exploit (with which we rooted 30+ Xperia devices) I had to find an alternate way... so I did the smart thing, just used the kernel on which the exploit works, root the device and flash back the newest kernel!

THIS WORKS ON BOTH LOCKED & UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS!

BTW if someone needs a full FTF of this new firmware here it is: XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.1.96_1257-6919.ftf - 485.30 MB

[ proof ]

802718264.png

[ NOTICE ]

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE XPERIA S/SL (LT26i/ii) FW 6.2.B.1.96!

DO NOT USE IT ON ANY OTHER VARIANT/FIRMWARE!

[ sources & additional info on exploit ]

check out this thread

[ how-to ]

1. Download the three files from the download section below
  2. open FlashTool and flash the XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.0.211_KernelOnly.ftf - 6.36 MB file, this is JUST the kernel of an older firmware which was rootable
  3. now once flashing is done reboot device and connect to PC in usb debuggin mode
  4. CLOSE FLASHTOOL <<< VVVIMP STEP
  5. extract the file DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip to root directory on c:\
  6. execute runme_ file corresponding to your OS on desktop PC, this will execute a SPECIAL version of my easy rooting toolkit <<< VVVIMP STEP
  7. the above step is crucial! if you use any older version of the toolkit then IT WILL NOT WORK!
  8. after rooting is over the device will restart
  9. you can verify if device is rooted by checking for SuperSU app (it is the newest version)
  10. once thats done now power down device and open FlashTool again
  11. now flash XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.1.96_KernelOnly.ftf - 6.33 MB file to get back to the true kernel for the firmware
  12. thats it after flashing is done just disconnect and power on device and enjoy rooted phone!

If you are facing issue of device rebooting when remounting /system partition then checkout the fix posted by @[NUT]

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

OR

you can buy one of my awesome apps from Play Store!

PLEASE DO CONSIDER DONATING AS I AM RAISING FUNDS TO BUY A NEW DEVICE the Xperia i1/Z1 (Honami)

[ downloads ]

PLEASE DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES!

1. XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.0.211_KernelOnly.ftf - 6.36 MB

2. DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip - 2.96 MB

3. XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.1.96_KernelOnly.ftf - 6.33 MB

P.S.: similar instructions will work for the Xperia Acro S/ION but you will need to use the corresponding kernels ONLY for that device!

regards,

DooMLoRD

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@DooMLoRD, so rooting the phone by flashing a custom kernel with recovery and then re-flashing back the stock kernel doesn't work anymore? For UL.

if u have unlocked bootloader u can ALWAYS get root by flashing any kernel with recovery + correct update.zips...

this is mostly for people on LOCKED bootloader who flashed the full FTF for the new 6.2.B.1.96 firmware....

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
maybe you can make it for acro s?

similar instructions will work for the Xperia Acro S/ION but you will need to use the corresponding kernels ONLY for that device!

all the best,do well as you rock in developments :highfive:

you are awesome buddy....wish u all the best for ur exams....:good:

Already job done... Thanx DooM... all the best for exams

thanks for the wishes!

So will .211 kernels work on .96 ?

it will but better to flash the stock .96 kernel only provided in my first post or through your regions FTF...

Reactions: omegastarr

cabi.costa

Jun 25, 2007
Milan
if u have unlocked bootloader u can ALWAYS get root by flashing any kernel with recovery + correct update.zips...

this is mostly for people on LOCKED bootloader who flashed the full FTF for the new 6.2.B.1.96 firmware....

I have lost the your kernel with recovery and the superuser.zip that I used to root the .211 FW :(
May I ask you again the links for both?

edit: I found the supersu.zip, it was the 1.25, can I use it also for this new FW?
Also, can I use your 6.0.3.2 recovery? I found only this one on my laptop!

Last edited:

piponxs

Nov 13, 2009
I am on win8 so Ill rather wait .zip

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Lol, for unlocked bootloader, wouldn't it be easier if we just fastboot flash a recovery and then flash a superuser zip?

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts