ROOT Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T725

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AHE_XDA

Mar 20, 2019
I guess my final question for you would be - do you know if it's possible to return the device to full stock status (and make the warnings go away)?

You absolutely can.

The only reason you're seeing the error thrown is because the bootloader is unlocked.

Once you relock it and return to stock, all is well in the world again.

(Except you tripped Knox and won't have access to any Knox-specific features and may lose access to warranty.)

AHE_XDA

Mar 20, 2019
The Guide is still on its way bit more editing is required.

So I won't make the 48 hour deadline and I apologize.

I will, however, have it complete by week's end.

For now, please continue to use this thread for Questions/Answers/Support.

Last edited:
G

GuestK00447

The Guide is still on its way bit more editing is required.

So I won't make the 48 hour deadline and I apologize.

I will, however, have it complete by week's end.

For now, please continue to use this thread for Questions/Answers/Support.

You did not meet the deadline. It's ok. But now you have to pay us, all of us.

d1nd141

Hi,
i have some problems rooting the device.
Bootloader unlocked (the message appeared that BL is unlocked).
Installed Magisk (canary and stable), did all the stuff with the AP file. (install magisk, not the manager)
Flashed with odin. (as some said before, modem error.).
Power+vol down to recovery, factory reset.
Reboot.
Now comes the problem. Some sources are talking different stuff:

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root
This time, we can finally boot to the system with Magisk. Select Reboot system now, and immediately press Power + Bixby + Volume Up. After seeing the bootloader warning screen, release all buttons so it can boot to the system.

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-a/how-to/guide-comprehensive-t510-root-guide-t3929671
8. As soon as the screen turns dark, press and hold Power and Volume up buttons before screen shows bootloader warning. It will reboot again like brand new unit.
Press Power button only: System with Magisk
Press and hold Power and Volume up buttons before the screen shows bootloader warning and release: System with Magisk
Press and hold Power and Volume up buttons all the way: Stock recovery
Of course we have no Bixby button. But tried both methodes.
Then did default install. Installed Magisk App.
But still Magisk is not installed.

After Factory reset, when i press Power+Volup, i always enter Recovery.
Any idea?
Btw, i'm on latest factory:
T720XXU1ASF1_T720OXM1ASF1_LUX

Thanks

mingkee

Hi,
i have some problems rooting the device.
Bootloader unlocked (the message appeared that BL is unlocked).
Installed Magisk (canary and stable), did all the stuff with the AP file. (install magisk, not the manager)
Flashed with odin. (as some said before, modem error.).
Power+vol down to recovery, factory reset.
Reboot.
Now comes the problem. Some sources are talking different stuff:

https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-a/how-to/guide-comprehensive-t510-root-guide-t3929671

Of course we have no Bixby button. But tried both methodes.
Then did default install. Installed Magisk App.
But still Magisk is not installed.

After Factory reset, when i press Power+Volup, i always enter Recovery.
Any idea?
Btw, i'm on latest factory:
T720XXU1ASF1_T720OXM1ASF1_LUX

Thanks

Press and hold both Volume up and power button to turn it on and release them when you see initial Samsung screen
Note: I use this method on Tab A 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any chance you can post it here? Or share via pm? I'd be really interested in root so I can do some debloat.

Yeah, sure. I wrote this in an e-mail to someone who messaged me regarding rooting the Tab S5e, but it's a tad bit old. Regardless, I'll paste it verbatim here:

Because my installation process was hardly linear (I ran into many problems along the way), I can't guarantee that these are exclusively the exact steps you would need to take to get it working. But I think this should be a compilation of all the final (working-ish) steps I took.

(1) Setup tablet for first time, go to settings, enable developer mode, and flick the OEM Unlocking switch.
    (2) Turn off the Tab S5e and boot into Download Mode by holding Power and Vol Up + Vol Down. Then hold up on the Vol Up button (not just a quick press) as it says to enter Bootloader Unlocking Mode. Follow the instructions there to fully unlock the bootloader.
    (3) The tablet will be formatted at this step. After the bootloader is fully unlocked, make sure you boot back into the Tab S5e and perform the set up again. Enable developer options and make sure that the OEM Unlocking switch is turned on. Yes, again. This step is necessary apparently due to some changes Samsung made with their new VaultKeeper service? If you don't you may soft brick the device.
    (4) Install @ianmacd's Magisk Manager application on your Tab S5e. Download is here. [Update: TopJonWu's official Magisk build should now work fine.]
    (5) Download the latest Tab S5e firmware build. I found my copy here. Extract from it the AP file. Transfer this file to your Tab S5e.
    (6) Back in Magisk Manager, go to settings and look for "Update Channel." Here's where I'm a little uncertain of what I did that finally got it to work, so I'll recommend two steps...
    (7a) Select the ianmacd update channel and return to the home screen of Magisk. [Update: This shouldn't be necessary anymore, especially if you installed the official Magisk Manager earlier.] Click install, then choose the patch file option. Locate the AP file you transferred earlier and wait for it to finish creating a "magisk_patched.tar" file. Transfer this file to your computer and rename it "magisk_patched_ianmacd.tar," then delete the old magisk_patched on your device.
    (7b) Do the same for the Canary (debug) update channel. Patch the AP again, and locate the patched file, copy it to your computer, and rename it to something clear.
    (8) This is an odd step I had to follow to avoid errors flashing. It turns out of the several times I tried making the patched images, I almost always inevitably had some file in the archives getting corrupted. So open up both magisk_patched.tar's and test them for errors. I did this in 7-Zip, but there's probably ways to do it in WinRAR, too. If it gives you any error, take a note of which file it failed on because that guarantees your flashing will fail in later steps. In fact, the reason I recommended doing two different methods for patching magisk above was because the first ianmacd patch I tried had a corrupt recovery.img. What I ended up doing to fix it was extracting a working (non-error checking) recovery.img, vbmeta.img, and boot.img from the two different patched Magisks and then recombined them myself into my own Magisk tar. I also kept the meta-inf folder in there for good measure, though I don't think it's necessary? So in the end, I had what I called a "magisk_patched_lite.tar" that contained exactly three images: recovery.img, vbmeta.img, and boot.img, along with the meta-inf folder and ensured 7-Zip did not return any errors on the archive.
    (9) Reboot the tablet to Download Mode. Press Vol Up to start. Attach the Tab S5e to your computer, and start Odin (I used v3.13.1_3B_PatcheD).
    (10) Put some working archive of the patched magisk in the AP slot and uncheck "Auto Reboot." I don't know if the 'lite' version is sufficient for your first flash, but I suspect that it is (it would not be sufficient if you're pre-patching an updated firmware for the Tab S5e). Let Odin rip and see if you get any errors.
    (11) Assuming Odin was successful, hold Power and Vol Down to exit Download Mode, then immediately switch to Power and Vol Up once the screen shuts off. Continue holding these until you are greeted with Recovery mode.
    (12) Use the volume keys to select Factory Reset/Wipe Data. Execute that to make sure the tablet is properly formatted.
    (13) Use the reboot into system option at the top of recovery. Hold Power and Vol Up until the "Bootloader is Unlocked" warning screen shows up, then release.
    (14) If you're lucky, you should eventually see a red warning message about not having Samsung software installed. That's a good sign. My tablet fumbled around these steps and looked like it was gonna bootloop for a while? But eventually, it ran its course and booted.
    (15) You hopefully have root installed now. Set up the tablet one last time, install the ianmacd Magisk Manager again and open it up. If it says Magisk is installed, great job, otherwise... I don't know where the issue is because this rooting sequence is way more complicated than for other devices! At some point, I think after a reboot, Magisk Manager asked if it could do some additional setup stuff. Obviously let it do that.

I updated a few steps that have changed since writing that up originally. Since the Tab S5e hasn't seen a software update yet, I'll also upload my (hopefully) working copy of the flashable patched_magisk_boot.tar that you can flash in the AP slot in Odin. No guarantees it works, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. In theory, you should be able to skip several steps above and simply OEM (bootloader) unlock the device, then flash this in Odin.

Also important! Fundmentally, this version of root works very differently from what you may be used to. See here for detailed information. Normally root is installed onto the boot partition, but Samsung did some ****y stuff this generation to be "compliant" with Google's new rules, but still do things in their own special way, so now to achieve root Magisk has to live on the recovery partition.

Magisk living on the recovery partition means that in order to boot with Magisk enabled, you have to boot into recovery. So to boot with root, hold power and vol up until you see the "bootloader is unlocked" warning screen, then release. If you hold Vol Up, you will be taken to recovery, which will boot the system partition with root enabled. Otherwise, your tablet will boot the system partition without root. So if you do not do this step, root will not work (i.e. you'll boot into system without Magisk).

Hope this helps you achieve root.
    The first release of my guide is NOW available here:

Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720) - Root Instructions (Release 0.1)
    https://xdaforums.com/android/devel...-t720-root-t3947806/post79892274#post79892274

If you are having difficulties, this guide is user-friendly and quite comprehensive. I will take questions there.
    @MikeChannon - Can we close this thread please and thank you?
    You da man! Appreciate your help.

My pleasure. Just finalizing a guide to make this a bit easier for other users. Enjoy!
    @AHE_XDA, boss will you publish guide, with collected all knowledge and experiences?
    Thanks

Yes Sir. Need 48 hours.
    I have Magisk working on my Tab S5e (have had it working since the day after it launched). I was going to post instructions, but we still don't have a Tab S5e forum to post em in.