[ROOT]Samsung SM-J320A/J320AZ(cricket) Galaxy Express Prime GoPhone / Galaxy J3 2016

Search This thread

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Below you will find instructions how to root this device.
The following procedure has been tested up to firmware MMB29K.J320AUSC2AQA1

KNOX should remain 0x0
However you undertake this at your own risk.
(NOTE: This procedure will also work for the SM-J320AZ (Cricket))

Issues:
Wifi passwords not remembered (fix below)
Stock Flashlight app not working.
Model number may be missing from build.prop (fix below)

Instructions

1.Download the eng boot image.
This is a special boot image normally used by engineers, it allows selinux to be booted in permissive mode with relaxed root restrictions.
Do not replace this image with the stock image after rooting your device or you will possibly soft brick your device.
(See below for how to recover)
ENG_BOOT_J320A_PG1

2. Flash the boot image:
Download Odin v3.11.1
Reboot Phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
Add the ENG_BOOT_J320A_PG1.tar to AP / PDA
Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
Click the start button, sit back and wait few minutes

3. Install and run Kingroot:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/kingro...-release/kingroot-5-0-5-android-apk-download/
You may need to run Kingroot several times to gain successful root.

4. Install and run SuperSU me to remove Kingroot and convert to SuperSU (not required) :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ore&pcampaignid=APPU_1_uzPDVbGyFcGNyATHrqmoCA

Alternative (free) method to replace Kingroot:

Follow Steps 3 to 12.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...ide-how-to-root-tripping-knox-kitkat-t3129484

Don't flash the boot partition with Flashfire, uncheck.
You will also need to flash the system version of SuperSU not EverRoot.
When you get to step 12, don't flash the firmware. Disable EverRoot and just flash this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/v2-64-2-66-supersu-mode-t3286120

5. Wifi fix:

modify the line below in /system/build.prop:

ro.securestorage.support=true to false

6. Model number fix:
http://www.techgainer.com/change-fake-android-device-model-number-and-brand-name/

7. To fix “Unauthorized actions have been detected”
disable 'Security log agent'

Enjoy your rooted device.

Recovering from a soft brick:
Flash the stock firmware provided below wirh ODIN in the AP slot.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120713788

J3 forum link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-j3-2016

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

DamienMc

May 11, 2012
Thanks bud. Your post in the other thread convinced me to purchase this device... so far so good :)

To everyone else, I had to use the patched version of supersu me to remove kingroot

Last edited:

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
Bugs in the system

So i reflashed the stock rom, everything was great. when i reflashed the file you gave us, debugging has failed to work as well as the flashlight. other than that no issues so far

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
So i reflashed the stock rom, everything was great. when i reflashed the file you gave us, debugging has failed to work as well as the flashlight. other than that no issues so far
What do you mean debugging does not work? Adb is enabled by default, it's an engineering boot image.

Reactions: vecdid

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
What do you mean debugging does not work? Adb is enabled by default, it's an engineering boot image.
instead of it asking if i want the computer to read i get this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170319-094302.png
    Screenshot_20170319-094302.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 5,252
Last edited:

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
What response do you get for

adb devices

In adb?
The generic. But then i set the directory to sdk/platformtools and it worked.

But flashlight gone. Keyboard,google services and cell gone. Cant uninstall kingroot with every method out there and my phone is glitching

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Think the dous firmware has issues on our devices.
I'll upload j320aucu2apj2 shortly

Mine is stock duos, i love the stock rom, but my conputer died this morning,no hopes of odin

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
The generic. But then i set the directory to sdk/platformtools and it worked.

But flashlight gone. Keyboard,google services and cell gone. Cant uninstall kingroot with every method out there and my phone is glitching

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Mine is stock duos, i love the stock rom, but my conputer died this morning,no hopes of odin
King root can be replaced with supersu me or the script. It can also be easily uninstalled via its settings.
What did you actually install?

Reactions: vecdid

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
My system went haywire. I need a command thru terminal on android to factory reset, can't boot into recovery.
Just hold POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN until the device reboots then immediately change to POWER + HOME + VOL UP to get in to recovery mode or in Terminal type

su

reboot recovery

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
Thats a no go, can't boot up. kingroot seems to have killed my phone i just get "unfortunatley System UI has Stopped" when i power up. I will reflash withwork comp and update in a few hours...

ashyx

Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Thats a no go, can't boot up. kingroot seems to have killed my phone i just get "unfortunatley System UI has Stopped" when i power up. I will reflash withwork comp and update in a few hours...
You can't possibly have lost the recovery, nothing has touched it. It does take a short while for stock recovery to boot. :confused:

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
Just hold POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN until the device reboots then immediately change to POWER + HOME + VOL UP to get in to recovery mode or in Terminal type

su

reboot recovery

You can't possibly have lost the recovery, nothing has touched it. It does take a short while for stock recovery to boot. :confused:
Iam lost as to how it happened as well lol but its ok, just a tester phone for fun 3rd time i have done something wrong :laugh:

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Reflashed Stock Firmware, regained access to recovery, factory reset and back up and running. i actually noticed some new features in recovery. i can actually apply update from sd now, whereas before i could not access files on sd, looks like dm-verity is also gone, or at least not showing up in recovery as before (maybe because it was a failed test) also the start up of the phone has skipped the initial set up (no add account or set up password) and the main screen is way more crisp and clear than what i had on before, even with the other 3 reflashes i have previously done. so far so good though

bobbyp1086

Aug 12, 2014
Colorado Springs
Used an old version, 9.7.4P
And I only got the script to work once :/

ok so the script is working but there is a different way

1. install kingroot 4.5 from apk mirror
2. Run script
3. update Su
4. update Binary
(i had to reinstall kingroot and deny kingroot root permission before binary would update and uninstall and keep root)
it seems denying kingroot root permission keeps the root on the device, letting su take over for root permission and uninstall of kingroot.

i know it seems weird but it works, the hang up was updating su, which you can do from google play

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Anyone have a stock "Build.prop" for this model

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone